What is the best D&D setting?

What is the best D&D setting?

Eberron.

Legitimate answer.

The one you build to run for your friends

Failing that though, Dark Sun

Would be better if it was more focussed and not so kitchen sink-y.

/thread

This describes DnD as a whole DESU.

Spelljammer. Dark Sun if you're even more hipster than me

Spelljammer

Whats so good about Eberron?, Ive never read too much into it

It's a well-detailed setting with a focus on pulp action and pulp noir stories. It's got mid-1800s-era technology (airships, trains) as part of an ongoing magical industrial revolution, combined with the dark and intrigue-filled feeling of a post-WW1 world. This allows you to go across entire continents or the world, or simply stay in a single city, experiencing a multitude of different campaign types.

It has room for everything in D&D, from the most common monsters to the most obscure shit from 3.5e's later Monster Manuals, while giving original takes on a lot of D&D standbys. It uses the rakshasa, a previously obscure D&D monster, as the "main" villain. Dragons are not beasts flying across countrysides but ancient philosophers toiling away on their own guarded continent, studying ancient prophecy. Its new races are all given roles in the world, with the warforged being one of the most interesting racial concepts in D&D from a story standpoint.

Basically it's a refreshing take on a lot of D&D concepts with an emphasis on a pulpy tone, that offers something beyond the bog-standard countryside-roaming heroic fantasy or sword and sorcery stories found in Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Mystara, and others.

I really like how it found a spot for everything. Keith Baker's blog is worth a read just to see the worldbuilding going on.

Mystara, with PoLand at second.

Dark Sun is fucking great.

Look at that faggot on the right showing off his metal weapon and clothing. Probably some smart ass gladiator that also gets daily female slaves and water rations!

Wilderlands > Eberron > Spelljammer > Al-Qadim > Ghostwalk > The Known World > Dark Sun > Maztica > Blackmoor > Council of Wyrms > Kara-Tur > Greyhawk > Birthright > Planespace > Mystara > Ravenloft > Dragonlance > Forgotten Realms

No.

>Planescape
>Greyhawk
>Wilderlands of High Fantasy
>Eberron (Sharn, mostly)

>Notice I did not mention Forgotten Realms

Eh, your eberron could be more focused if you want to. The creator legitimately wants you to only use the parts you like - and the parts you like from other D&D settings as well.

Your least favourite setting
Worst one is your favourite setting btw

You fucked up and mentioned Planescape though.

How does the planets rotation work with two suns?

Dark Suns

>magic is technology

No. Eberron is absolutely horrendous. It takes fantasy and makes it *not* special.

Points of Light is up there.

Planescape or Spelljammer (PBUH)

Whatever cool custom setting you make.
Other than warforged, the setting is pretty meh. All the magi-science means its closer to a pulp scif-i game than sword and sorcery.l

The one you and/or your DM make on their own that you most enjoy playing in.

Ghostwalk never really got the love it deserved.

Forgotten Realms

In my opinion, that's it's crippling flaw. It tries to do too much, and winds up not being very good at anything. The whole setting is stretched too thin, with too many inter-dependencies and too much pre-generated lore for the players to have much agency in affecting anything.

You can have two stars that orbit around a common center, with planets orbiting around both stars. In which case you'll have relatively normal day/night cycles, but see two suns in the sky during the day (except when one is eclipsing the other). Look up circumbinary planets.

Pic related, two stars (A and B), a planet (kepler 16b) and the orbits of Mercury and Earth, for scale.

Rather poorly, at least at the civilizational level. Pic related.

Tell me, what makes the Wilderlands so great?

what makes you think those are suns

Greyhawk or alternately Gayhawk.

Those are moons, user. Athas has only one sun.

It's great because it gives enough info to play anywhere on the setting on the fly without giving so much info that you get tied down.
Also it has a nice aesthetic. Honestly, not all of it's great. None of it's bad though. Can't say _that* for anything else on the list.

Greyhawk.

Ghostwalk.

Will we ever find out what Rich Burlew had submitted to WoTC for his setting idea that was the runner-up to Eberron?

Do you think it was the Astral Sea?

Spelljammers.

Keith Baker was too good for WotC

From what I've gleamed from people I asked at GenCon; it was some Planetoids meets Stargate hybrid.

>Mystara so low

Dragonlance

So, Starfinder?

Related question
I have never touched any part of any of the DnD settings, I'm completely clueless. If I want to learn about them how do I go about it? Are there setting books, are those for specific editions or more generic, or does most of the info come from like story books?

There's at least one setting book for all of them. World details, specific rules, all that. PDFs are pretty easy to come by.

What's the meaningful difference between Mystara, Greyhawk, and Blackmoor?

I've played Mystara and Greyhawk modules before, but don't know much beyond that.

Err... yeah

That's what the mechanics of 3.5 do, so Eberron is just a setting that matches the tone of the mechanics with the tone of the setting

Honestly I don't see a problem with making the fantastic into something mundane.

>Honestly I don't see a problem with making the fantastic into something mundane.

ICANNOTEVEN.jpg

So I take it you hate Start Trek?

I want different things from my fantasy than from my scifi, but also yes.

It doesn't
t. trisolaris

Eberron is basically FR calling itself Jasmine instead of Crystal, never thought Veeky Forums would be so unsophisticated in its setting preferences. It's polished and fits the ruleset, sure, but ranking it higher than Spelljammer, Mystara, or Dark Sun? 2017 Veeky Forums indeed.

I'm rather partial to Darksun. But I'm a big fan of post-apocalyptic wastelands as well as sword and sorcery fiction.

No. D&D already did that, it starts at including spellcasters as a no-risk character option with a bunch of neatly packaged, tightly canned effects, and continues through the reams of critters, items, and happenings that every D&D setting is festooned with. Eberron just explored what a society in which magic wasn't that special (though there is plenty of special magic in Eberron) would look like.

There IS place for "fantastic" in eberron. "Magic as science" only means you have cantrip casting doodads and some magipunk equipment as the result. You still got lots of wonderful shit on top of that.

Couldn't care less. For the most part I have no idea what setting I am supposed to be in. Saves me on paying attention to internal politics.

Forgotten Realms, with the detailed lore that's been built up over the years and Candlekeep's fanworks in play.

To be fair 1e FR is breddi gud

Spelljammer is godawful.

Why, so you can LIMIT the variety of games you can play in it?

Underrated. But I often wondered if starting with B2's premise and working outward from there would yield as good results.

I think highly of Mystara, but I can see why they ranked the Known World higher. X1's framework really does work well enough to where you can create a world without the Gazetteers.

calixis sector

>that pic
it hurts me bad user

You bite back that bile spilling from your gob. Spelljammer is wonderful.

>rotation
...you mean orbit, right?
And loosely speaking, it would go about the average of the 2 suns. Plus some wobble.

Greyhawk was Gygax's campaign setting.
Blackmoor was Arneson's.
The Known World was Moldvay's.
Mystara "extends" is based on The Known World.

Blackmoor is ostensibly north of the Wildernlands, but that's a retcon.

>I'm so autistic I can't process different opinions.

I liked it, before the 4E nuke.

Darksun is cool, though, and I liked the Zeitgeist one. BTW does Rokugan count because of Oriental Adventures?

Right, I'm aware of that. I mean, how are they different in tone or style. My limited impression is that they are basically interchangeable.

Think you got the wrong thread there buddy.

All of you are wrong. The real answer is Ravenloft.

Eberron
Planescape
Dark Sun

Pick the order that suits you.

Everything else is shit.

Different flavors of gonzo.

Name one good part of Ravenloft besides I6.

While we're at it Name one good part of Planescape that isn't a worse version of part of Manual of the Planes.

Eh, it executes a good idea in the most bland way possible considering the starting idea.
It is kind of like a modern appliance reskinned 1:1 in generic fantasy tinker gnome tech.

The cant

>Name one good part of Ravenloft besides I6.

The fact that you can drop it into any campaign. PC's working on helping a sleepy village with a dark secret? Turns out they're in Markovia, and all of the monsters they've been killing are also the missing villagers.

Dark magic is reanimating flesh golems nearby? Lamordia. The point is the build up to it. Don't let them know where they are until you're ready to drop the reveal. Then let shit really hit the fan and make the PC's work for their escape.

My homebrew setting.

Greyhawk!

HIVEMIND.

Eberron has the loli pope. Realistically you can't get better than that.

How to run Dark Sun in 5e?

>Step One: realize 5e is a weird mishmash of B/X, 4e, and 3.5 that has some of their pitfalls and none of their strengths
>Step Two: let go of 5e
>Step Three: choose a better system, like B/X clones, GURPS, Savage Worlds, d6, heck even Mythras if you can deal with the attack table thing
>Step Four: play Dark Sun

Run it in 4e, force martial players to use essentials classes.

>Other than warforged, the setting is pretty meh.
As a total fanboy of the Xen'drik take on drow I wish you nothing but death and despair and curse your family for the next 19 generations.

This man has exquisite taste.

Wait for at least the Thri-Kreen to be officially supported in some way, then cut magic character options.

>the combat part of game is now basically as fun and deep as snakes and ladders or candyland

That's hyperbole and you know it, but yeah, it won't be great. I gave a quick answer to a question to which the answer should really be "Wait for the Dark Sun Campaign Guide to release" but noone wants to read me being a smug dick, really.

You could just use the Mystic (DS characters are supposed to be innately psionic anyway). And Templar Warlock.

came here to make the same case, dark sun is on of my favourites because its so different.

>tfw ArmageddonMUD has become a hollow shell of it's former self over the years