/bgg/ Board Game General - the best experts anywhere edition

Last thread
Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#
Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

Ok /bgg/ let's hear about the geniuses in your group; what rules get misplayed often? Got a player who can't handle simple addition? Various other fuckups that resulted in funny stories? Share the comedy gold, even if it's about yourself, this is a safe place.

>What rules get misplayed often?
Had like 10 sessions of Descent with my group and they still get confused about how the movement rules let you "cut corners".

Been playing Seasons online on BGA, didn't understand all the comparisons to Magic until I played it-- drafting a synergistic deck to execute combos while spending colored resources to summon cards recalls MtG in some neat ways while still making something unique.
Lots of enjoyable decision making but I'm not certain how deep the well of strategy goes. Deep enough to really enjoy my first few plays at least. If it holds up further I'll look into a physical copy. Any thoughts on Seasons?
Isle of Skye is excellent but aside from laying tiles to build a better scoring landmass, it doesn't feel like Carcassonne. A weird mix of auction-ish buying and tile laying that doesn't entirely resemble anything else. Fun to play, and the more I think about it, the more I appreciate its design, but it wouldn't replace Carc for me in any capacity.

>Descent

We had one player playing the Warrior who misused challenge for half the campaign

>Exhaust this card to choose a monster in your los and place your hero token on it. While card is exhausted, each attack performed by you or the monster gains +1 dmg

He took that to mean he could zip around the map teleporting to monsters in his los at will. It wasn't til someone pointed out hero token didn't mean the same as model that we realized.

It's our fault really, he's the kinda guy who will skim read and 'interpret' abilities.

Fuck Descent though, unless you're using the app.

I've played with a guy who for the life of him couldn't get the pyramid building rules in Kemet. Like some fuse short-circuited each time he tried to do that and he was high functioning in every other case.
He played with us multiple times and NEW people got the rules. Cumulative PP, each level = that many points.
But not him.
He tried to upgrade to the 4th level from the 1st one by paying 4 PP.
Or did some weird math that made him pay 6PP for upgrading from 2->3.
I still have no idea why.

>Various other fuckups that resulted in funny stories?
once in a game of Ticket to Ride one of my friends picked 3 long and 1 short objectives

2->3 costing six
He probably thought it was the sum of every preceding level? ie 1+2+3=cost.
Never played Kemet though, how does the math for that actually work?

>once in a game of Ticket to Ride one of my friends picked 3 long and 1 short objectives
Is this for the Europe map?

As the resident TtR expert -- how is this a 'fuckup'? The normal way to play TtR is to complete try and capture a good subgraph of the board and draw 15-20 tickets to complete.

3 long routes is a decent play.

level zero to one costs one
level one to two costs costs two
two to three costs three
three to four costs four
you can buy multiple levels in one action, so to go from level one to level three you would pay two plus three, a total of five

Because he was cheating?

oh holy shit how does someone fuck that up

pic related was my captcha

How do people feel about Fief?

Each time he upgraded (or planed to) he asked aloud how much would that cost in a very confused voice.
When playing with new people and him we used to joke "now concentrate now it's the hardest rule of the game", we'd explain the rule and the new person would grasp the concept immediately. Then the genius would make a "ha-ha very funny" comment but would fuck up again during the game.
I think it's a neurological disorder.

should have picked up Nevermore instead, anyone who says that any other drafting game has "high interactivity" is lying

>rules fuckups
first time we played Imperial I somehow thought that it was possible to tax other great nations, which ended up with a hilarious game for nation dominance. I liked that fuckup quite a bit

another one was the first few games of Titan I somehow came to the conclusion while reading the rulebook that if you roll a six for movement and the legion you're moving has a lord, you can reveal the lord to freely move six spaces without restrictions. turns out that only happens when you start on Tower tiles, though I do love the idea of speeding up the game time significantly

Define: Eurogame

I'd rather not.

How is it?

Something that's not ameritrash

As Kino is to Movies, Eurogame is to board game.

I feel a better name is Ludo.

>tfw get together with fellow patricians for ludotime and nobody brought the crab legs

ludozeit, you mean.

I like to go down to the ludohof for some serious spiel, we have a strict no singles policy.

I exclusively game at the Berlin ludostadt. They have a minimum height restriction of 6'3", you can bring your falcon indoors and the designated shooter is bottom floor only.

Do I know you? In my group Ludo is to games what Kino is to movies as well. I just don't know if any of them come here.

I've played someone else's copy once, I remember it being pretty good as far as thinky, semi-mathsy euros go. I might be slightly biased because IIRC then I won.

I am thoroughly enjoing this thread

Achtung, you do not "enjoy" in the ludohof

Spielung is an art, to be savoured.

Spielpoleis, send this man to the kickstarter mines, where he may "enjoy" der burgerspiel with Eric Lang!

It's an actually tight worker placement game which I always appreciate, but either it's too light for my heavier leaning group or they just don't like it as much as I do (which is also why I'll never get Viticulture + Tuscany to the table). I enjoyed the balancing aspect and less randomized card drawing compared to Last Will.

Teaching essentially three separate games can be lengthy but for lighter groups you can just use two modules and it plays fine.

The first time I showed my family Ticket To Ride:

>Dad tried to claim a route piecemeal
>Brother tried to claim a 4-length route with one train
>Other brother tried to claim a 5-length route with a wild

They've since gotten better.

sounds like you're a terrible teacher

What's so good about Nevermore?

not him but basically every card in that game is interactive and there is no tableau building. it's all about dealing damage to other players.

>go to ludoplatz for weekly Two Minutes' Hate
>pictures of Eric Lang and his games flash up on the screen overall
>start laughing uncontrollably at how idiotic he is
>stop
>everyone is looking at me
>"N-no! Nein! N-nein! I was laughing AT the stupidity, not enjoying it!"
>it's too late
>the Spielpoleis arrive and immobilize me instantly with their precise coordinated worker placement
>they lock me in the giant dice cage and roll me through the city while the populace pelts me with hamburgers and "french" fries
>I almost drown in the tide of ketchup and mayo
>finally we arrive at the manlet tile at the edge of the city
>they randomly draw cards and pelt my back with them until the skin is completely flayed
>then they roll a roulette spinner to determine how much of my legs they will cut off
>which they do
>finally they paint me black
>all I can do now is serve as a living manlet pawn on the public chessboards
All in all though I got to play T&E so I'd say it was an 8/10 session.

FUG I BUYED THE WRONG GAME

I hate Monopoly, Battleship, and all those typical family board game bullshit.

What are some top-tier choices for a game group or my family?

Ticket to Ride and Catan

Catan is a bad game.

>Do you like to lie to each other and experience a bit of schadenfreude without being mean?
Sheriff of Nottingham

>A tried-and-true 'family game'?
Catan or Carcassonne, recommending the latter though. Would probably recommend Ticket to Ride, but I've never played it.

>Something a bit more unusual but easy, interesting and cooperative
Mysterium (you could also check out Dixit)

>You promised them to buy a family friendly game and actually just want to be an asshole and also hate yourself
A World At War

Just to name a few off the top of my head. How many people are there and how complexity do you deem possible?

that's why I listed it with TtR. They're everything tokaido poster asked for.

>unironically recommends Catan
>thinks TtR is might be good

may you have to play TtR in hell for all eternity

Well, the first question... to co-op or not to co-op? Most of the time families tend to like that shit, but some people can't into gaming that doesn't involve winning themselves.

If co-op, Forbidden Island/Desert and Ghost Stories are my choices that you can actually find. If you happen to dig up Yggdrasil, though, it's great.

If not, next question is group size. Smaller Groups would do well with King of Tokyo, Takenoko, or, yeah, Tokaido. Bigger groups should look at 7 Wonders (up to 7) Shadow Hunters (up to 8) or maybe Secret Hitler (up to 10).

Here's your (you), you scoundrel

Odin's Ravens is well fun lads

How is Innovation? If it's worth getting, is it worth the Deluxe version with expansions to start?

One hide, one organ, one bone, and an endeavor seem like a steep price, but it's necessary to innovate at every opportunity, you want ammonia, paint, and inner lantern ASAFP.

Recommend me a board game to play with my roommates who don't play many board games.

The Thing is one of my favorite movies ever, is this worth getting or will it just disappoint me like most tie-ins?

Codenames, Flick em up, Quantum, Downforce, Raptor, Love Letter, Dicey Goblins/Celestia, Marvel Legendary, Good Cop bad Cop

It's fun. The Loki cards can be mean, but that's the game.

Sounds cool. Will I like it if I really like other Viking themed games like Blood Rage?

Mage Knight

It should be noted that you can teleport to hero tokens but only if you're reviving. So if you get KO'd away from the challenges laid token, you can choose to revive at that token instead of your KO location.

I got my former roommate into Dice Masters
one week after I gave him a starter pack to play with he was ordering boxes of booster packs

Heya guys, getting a married couple a boardgame for Christmas, does anyone know of any games similar to Splendour that're good, or solid to play with 2/4 people only?

I see Jaipur compared to Splendor often, and I've heard it's fun with 2
If the engine part of splendor is what they like, Dominion seems like something couples always like playing together.

Century: Spice Road
Patchwork
Theseus: The Dark Orbit
Jaipur
Odin's Ravens
Targi

Success guys, I was able to play 5-player Battle for Rokugan last night! It went well, but I have one minor rule question I'm gonna e-mail the designer about soon.

As for the game, it was kinda "chaotic" because it was the first game for all of us, but apparently one player was acting like a really emotional to totally bluff us that he was actually working toward his secret objective. Him and his "ally" who were trying to pincer me, actually had secret objectives to take over each other's clan provinces, but of course we all didn't know that until the end of the game. The thing is, each round, it's almost impossible to completely defend all your provinces if you want to take new ones.

To gain something, you will need to accept that you will lose something else. Plus, the secret objectives are difficult to complete, with some being very difficult. Might be easier with less players though. There was definitely some bluffing, but for the most part our plays were almost all legal or non-bluff ones, as we were still gauging the value of actions in terms of improving our position in the game and working towards winning.

Also I think I picked up on this when the game ended, but maybe if you draw a hand of weak tokens, it's better to just commit those to defending the provinces you have to pump up their honor and defense values via successful defense instead of comitting them to attacks which will most probably fail.

Definitely want to play this again and see if I can improve my play if I can get more games under my belt. I only lost the game last night by one point BTW, which I could have gotten easily earlier.

Oh yea, don't come to this if you expect to build up your forces on the map like a regular dudes on a map game. It's definitely an area control game where your orders and your "troops" are one and the same.

Plus, getting territories early to earn their single one-time use territory cards with a special power can be crucial to doing well. That should be one of your early priorities as one player getting a majority of them can secure a victory. Although, of course, the other players can always gang up on him.

I was played Meeple Circus last night and I really had fun even when I absolutely failed the final performance. I really want to play it again.

The challenge of arranging your meeples + animeeples + meeple props to satisfy the various conditions and goal cards is very compelling to me.

The guy who won did it by singing karaoke along the game's theme music during the final round.

If someone says he doesn't want to try the game, he doesn't know what he's missing. Plus there's HUGE potential for amusing expansions.

I also*

As you guys can tell, I really had fun last night.

As a photocopier technician I am fucking triggered by that pic.

That said, just start with entry level games that might appeal to them on a thematic level. If they’re gamers maybe try to find something similar to what they already play. (Area control for RTS/TBS, dexterity game for FPS, etc)

Raptor and Jaipur.

Reviews say that it shines at 6 to 8 players. The more the better.

Thanks guys, I reckon I'll roll with Jaipur then!

er what?

Why are you rolling with that when we all know Kemet is playable with 2 players? It's very similar to Splendor because instead of taking chips and point cards, you take special power tiles and it's also a race for points.

Really bad decision

No you seem like a jackass.

>insults someone trying to be helpful
>somehow he's not the actual the jackass

Dat Pic!!!

We finally barred our office manager from ever again changing the toner cartridges on our big color copier. He did pic related - TWICE - within a six week period trying to 'figure out' how the color toner came out of the cartridge. And the color toner is damned expensive!

Why didn't you guys just teach him how to do it correctly?

Seems like an asshole move on the part of you and others

>Youtube suggests me a dice tower unboxing video
>The guy opens like 20 packets back to back and chucks the games across the table
Amazing. His mailbox must be huge

Not as huge as your mom

How the fuck do I play Race for the Galaxy?
I've been playing it against players on BGA and against the Keldon AI but I consistently lose. It feels like the game ends while I'm still setting up. I've got the rules down and I'm picking up the iconography, but the strategy is beyond me.

How dare you, may she rest in peace, she was crushed by a box of Kingdom Death.

I find it easier to pay attention to this when I play against real players, but the most important thing is watching what your opponent is doing. When you start to see them cache in their engine, is about the same time you need to be doing yours as well, especially if you build your engine to be able to ride off of their action selections. That way even when you don't consume/produce, you can still get good points off of it, at least enough to keep you up to speed. Also finding a good 6+ development can be big deciding factor.

Learn what cards are powerful given your expansion loadout and which are mostly too fiddly or insignificant to be worth more played than pitched. Race is a game that really awards system mastery.

In general, discounts and "Draw when you do X" are life. I've one more than a few games coming in as Alien Artifact Hunters, Develop T1, piggyback off someone's explore, drop Galactic Investors and next turn Investment Credits. Heck, even just a t1 Investors can be fairly backbreaking because it generates so many free cards that you'll end the game quickly just spamming develop and piggybacking off other peoples' settle actions with cheap worlds.

Also, adapt. As solitaire-y and uninteractive as race can be you do need to leverage your opponents at least a little. Recognize when they fall into patterns to not get screwed by a bad consume and, if possibly, piggyback off their phases while playing phases they probably won't piggyback off of.

Don't get hung up looking for a way to make the perfect tableau. You're playing for the win, not max score, so everything counts. Is the Mining World great for you? Maybe not, maybe you're mostly doing Alien stuff, but it's still points now rather than maybe points in that slot later. Optimization of your tableau only matters if you're the one to hit 12, otherwise you had room to drop random shit.

I had a friend who couldn't even grasp the concept of combat in Runebound 2nd edition.
A kid in primary school could understand it, its fucking basic mathematics. Needless to say we haven't bothered to play it again since it takes said player 10-20 minutes to resolve combat.

Ticket to Ride and Splendor are the 'gateways' that are most like a real game.

(P.S. The USA Ticket to Ride map is boringest one.)

Not to be an arse, but in what way is splendor most like a 'real game'? It's just:
>look what the most popular colour with the nobles is this time
>look if there are colour imbalances concerning the cards on the table
>Buy cards accordingly
Little to no decision making. Granted, I haven't played it with 4p but I suppose that would just increase randomness/someone trying to choke everybody out of recources.

Would this game be considered any good if it didn't have weighted chips? I will go there and say that even catan is better than splendor.

Splendor is an abstract tactical game. Like all such games, it only really works when played with two players.

Like all such games, the way to win is by calculating many moves ahead and hoping your opponent is the first to make a mistake.

Basically, it's an abstract tactical game like go, chess, Santorini, Patchwork, etc.

Its biggest downside is being too random with the card draws.

>Century: Spice Road
100:1 I'm getting this for xmas

>Meeple Circus
literally wtfing over the DiceTower vid

Innovation is a surprisingly complex game that I absolutely adore, but has a couple caveats. First game is always a learning game, and you'll need to convince people to play it a couple times to really click. Other thing is you need players able to deal with a quickly changing board state and not lose their shit.

If you're good with this, it's a goddamn wonderful game. Ensure you get the figures in the sand expansion with base, because it balances things out hugely. (Base game can get quick runaway wins) Echoes is fun but a huge jump in complexity.

Going to do a hero quest(esque) gameset where its a cyoa and character building (spell/equipment) based.

Problem is the table setup needs a randomly generated tileset and I'm cool with setting each tile down just how do I keep them there?

I was thinking a pinboard with the tiles sticking into it. Pair of pointy parts per square to prevent twisting.

Better ideas? I've got a load of lizardmen, skeletons and orcs to start.

Two questions: How is it with two players? How long does a typical game take?

I never watched a vid about it, but if you play it in person you might get why I like it so much.

How the cabinet doors are squeaky clean?

BTW ALSO it's the same publisher as Kemet :D

>The song starts playing
I don't even

It's particularly good with two players (with more it's way harder to control the game state). Game takes about 60-90 minutes with 2 people, although I've managed 30 minute games before

Newbie here, first time interesting in board games. Can you recommend some rpg-like bg with quite good replayability. Not fedoracore. inb4 pick one. Friendly enough, but I'm not afraid of thick rulebooks.

I like the D&D Adventure System Cooperative Game series. It's primarily a dungeon crawler but with different classes and builds, with alot of opportunities for custom adventures and such if you get more than 1 box.

Descent?

rpg-like bg will always fall short of giving you an actual rpg experience. they'll always boil down to either being a tactical combat simulator or a choose your own adventure book. Just put in the time and join an actual RPG campaign.

Thanks, I'll look for it and more.

I said "like", meaning I know, that actual rpg differs from it.
>Just put in the time and join an actual RPG campaign.
Though, I'd like to hear a couple of examples. If I get it right, you aren't talking about bg rpgs?

It wasn't a matter of how to install it correctly. That part was dead simple. It was the fact that he was 'curious' and opened the cartridge to see where the toner came out - thus spilling it and making a huge mess - TWICE! We could have understood the first time well enough out of curiosity, but when you don't learn from a mistake and keep repeating it to the group's detriment... Yeah, that needs to stop.

Camel Up

honestly thought it looked pretty awesome
I mean fuck my arthritic hands but dropping that on the game group would be a fucking good time
everything looks good except the smartphone music yarg

The new Fallout board game.

I got Millennium Blades a few weeks ago, and my god is it good. It's like the game Galaxy Trucker always dreamed of being; more interactive, more tactics, more variety. Does anyone want to tell me that I'm wrong?