Tell me how you or other player played a character of opposite gender

Tell me how you or other player played a character of opposite gender.

Other urls found in this thread:

link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1024517302481?LI=true
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There are no genders

Like i would any other character.

I was told by 90% of people I play with that they vastly like and enjoy my female characters more than my male.

I've seen this go 3 ways.
1. Player makes opposite gender character to be contrarian and then gets bored with it when the novelty wares of.
2. Player tries to create a sort of harem. Attempts to attract as many NPCs of the same gender as them and use them as servents. (This is almost always men playing as women.)
3. Campaign ends up have little narrative or everyone just thinks the PC is weird and it never really becomes an issue after player creation.

In one game I played an airhead healer, who was a pushover when it came to interacting with other people, but was always willing to protecting her party members, even at the cost of her own well being.

I played female character once, she was kinda weak and feminine, but acted kinda cocky like I usually do while playing male characters. Ended up being gangraped because DM decided to do so.
My next female character was actual oriental woman with face always hidden but mimicking man.

1) write a good character
2) make them a girl
3) ...
4) Profit!

>Tell me how you or other player played a character of opposite gender.

Poorly.

>Use a slightly softer tone for my accent
>That's it

That's really fucked up

female paladin, i played her as kind hearted and slightly jovial, but serious when shit started going down.
she was given a nickname that was a mix of her name and the terminator, after she pulled some crazy stunt in one particular combat session.

>played a character of opposite gender.

I dont, because anyone who ever tries it allways creates a characature of the gender they are trying to represent.

A bit stereotypically, but that fit the character. I put on a voice also.

As the GM, I've played not only other genders, but also other races, irrational animals, alien abominations whose very mind works in unknowable ways and even mindless automatons.
And there's no trick to it. You just set up the general behavior of the character in question, and then have it react to situations with that behavior in mind.

>Be GMing a Warhammer Fantasy 2e campaign that runs for about a year
>The party are a bunch of shepherds who work for Carcassone nobility, they end up fairly close to the Bretonnian family they serve since they're unorthodox to begin with
>One of the npcs is the daughter of the eldest son, a smart young lady who perused her family's (probably illegal) library
>Players fucking love her, love how she has a crush on one of the guys in the party
>One of the players says he's running a campaign, asks if I want to come in and play the girl since her storyline ended with her father going nuclear and booking it to the Empire with her in tow
>Campaign is about the survivors of a caravan that got ambushed in Sylvania trying to survive and eventually get revenge on the vampire count that fucked with them
>Play her as smart and well-read but devoid of practical experience
>Have her initially look up to two of the other party members, a hierophant wizard whose player described him as smart but in practice he just sat around waiting for the GM to drop the right answer in his lap and a roadwarden that she thought reminded her of her dad only for him to turn out to be an unintelligent suicidal maniac
>Her dad was a HOMICIDAL maniac, and intelligent.
>Realizing it's sink or swim, she ends up making a lot of decisions for the group. Comes up with the plans on how to deal with the vampires they encounter
>Her arc becomes her innocence and kind heart being broken as the people around her die, as well as her becoming unhinged because of how my friend and I handle fate points in our campaign, with your character remembering how they died and fate twisting around so you don't.
>By the end she lost most of her friends and was basically Lady Maria, but not a jobber.

The two chicks in the party said they were amazed by the fact that I played a girl so well but I didn't see it.

A friend of mine played a female Tiefling. By roleplaying normally.
He also played a badass 50 years-old female necromancer.
It was great because no one at the table is an idiot.

I tried making an elderly warlock lady but I didn’t like her mechanics and I found it difficult and awkward to rp a serious character in a party of pretty goofy characters.
So I retired her and played a male gourmand barbarian who wants fo make the biggest steak.

Did he make steaks with monsters ?
Did he make owlbear steak ?

We put that campaign on hold for a bit to resume our main one; he was only able to make crab cakes and help a peasant women with her stew in that time.

I played off of a combination of things I find attractive and notable flaws, and ended up with something the GM and some of my fellow players waifu harder than I do.

It gets a little creepy when the character realizes it's pretty much impossible to refuse to consent when you're dealing with an Inquisitor's stiffy, unless she wants to go away for a very, very long time.

The GM sees nothing wrong with this power dynamic, even though I've brought up that the Inquisitor is straight up creepin'.

There's a guy in my group who only ever plays ladies. Regardless of setting, system or species.

Big yuri fan. His characters tend to either be very sexually active or completely cloistered.

I once described him as not so much a straight man as a lesbian in a man's body and he said it felt uncomfortably true and he wasn't sure how it made him feel.

The same applies to female PCs.

I once roleplayed as a white heterosexual male when obviously I am a massive faggot, I mean I must be right? Why else would I be on 4chins.

I come up with a few character ideas, decide which gender would make the most sense for each concept if their gender wasn't already somehow pertinent to said concept, then I choose the character I think would be the most interesting and/or fun to play, or the one that would be the best fit for the campaign and/or party as a whole.

Sometimes, that character happens to be female. Why does that change how I role-play?

I struggle with playing male characters, honestly. But I try to play one every so often to broaden my horizons

They tend to fall into either the big charismatic brute category or some sort of Jafar-esque maniac

>Ended up being gangraped because DM decided to do so.
>That's really fucked up
That happens far too often. Happened to me in a game before I came out as trans. And it's happened to a lot of girls who've played female characters.

You're looking for 4chinchin m8, 4chins is for the massive lardbeasts.

One of my players loves it when I act out female npcs or pcs
She says I play really cute girls even when I try not to

>opposite

Don't you mean 'one of the many genders other than your own'?

>He also played a badass 50 years-old female necromancer.
I wish more people played older characters

I once tried to play someone aggressively lighthearted because my group was getting a bit to hard on their edgy power fantasy.

because I didn't explain the character concept especially well, one of the players ended up assuming my character was a grill so I just rolled with it.

Usually by creating waifus and then playing them. It's easy enough if you don't have absolute shit taste.

Men, women, they are all meat for the slaughter. Pawns to be sacrificed at the altar of victory. As Gygax intended!

You play the character exactly the same as you normally would. The only time it would be different is if gender actually mattered to the individual character.

I've had girls and guys play character of the opposite gender, it's only a problem if you're immature about it and you think the experience would actually be any different.

One time I played a middle aged lamia monk so i could ara ara while I ora ora'd. Not being able to jump kinda sucked.

How do you handle menstruation as an adventurer? How do you clean yourself? How do you hide the scent of blood from monsters and beasts?

How do you handle defecation as an adventurer? How do you clean yourself? How do you hide the scent of shit from monsters and beasts?

You squat. Use a sponge on the end of a long stick that was shared by everyone in the party. When not in use, that stick stayed in a bucket of heavily salted seawater in the communal bathroom. You may use the left-hand-and-bucket-of-water method.

Stones and clay, wool (if you are rich and wasteful), tundra moss, snow, cobs of corn, leaves, mussel shells, pieces of fur...

If you're able to squat properly and your ass isn't fat as fuck then it comes out very cleanly and you barely have to wipe.

Inb4 300 replies.

I have never larped as a female character cause that's just weird. But I have played many female characters in video games, for sexist reasons of course.

The first one was a singer that everyone made lewd jokes about, to her in-character discontent. Ooc i found it funny though so it was cool.
Then the GM kept her as an npc in the next campaign and has so far used her to continue such jokes, but before it was her being in genuine "not whar it looks like" while now she's just blatantly walking into them and it's kind of uncomfortable.

>Ended up being gangraped because DM decided to do so.

I want details.

You're kind of delusional if you think there's no difference.

in bog standard fantasy the difference in minimal
tell me about the games you play user.

I played them like a good damned person. It's not difficult.

THE MORE SHE DRANK, THE MORE SHE SHAT.

I didn't mean there was a difference in actual rules, I can't imagine any game that does that. I meant more that you will still think and act like a guy if you're playing as a girl, so there's really no point in gender swapping. Unless you openly do it for fap bait reasons

I have played several female charcters, I think they all turned out fine. One was sort of an educated barbarian (I really like this type of character for some reason, a rugged looking fellow with a huge axe who was actually raised in a noble/wealthy family or just enjoys elvish poetry or something). Another one was
a noble girl who was always pretty good at fencing and that's why she thought it'd be a good idea to go looking for trouble when possessed people started appearing in her city, only to find out that real battles are nothing like her fencing lessons (so having two pistols turned out to be really convenient). The third one was a priestess of an obscure goddess, she could transfer wounds and diseases from one person to another and had some nice utility magic, which is always good in low magic settings.

It's called roleplaying for a reason. You play a role. You try to think how a character would act in that situation, so then you can play as a medieval knight, or a 100 year old elf wizard, or a lizardfolk shaman. Or something much closer to what you actually know, like a girl.

Men and women haven't been able to figure each other out since the dawn of time. You might as well just larp as an elf or something, your knowledge of how to act will be about the same. In fact we know more about elves since men came up with them

>I came out as trans

Faggots playing pretend out

Nah, you're probably just autistic. Male writers write good and believable female characters all the time, and vice versa.

>what you actually know, like a girl.

>actually know

>a girl

>i'll just take a part of the phrase out of context

Maleanon played a female elf doctor. The character was pretty smart and amusing most of the time. Except when we went around places with bugs or goo he'd be like: "Ugh, I'm a lady, you guys do it."

This

Sauce

Related, a question that doesn't deserve its own thread.

My no nonsense opportunist wizard got girdle of masculinity/femininity'd. He's going to figure out benefits such as "if you're a pretty lady nobody will assume you have fucked up shit going on in your lab" but what others could there be?

I and my friends do it all the time, and it's never been an issue?

I really don't get why Veeky Forums makes a big deal out of this.

Gender is a societal construct. Disregard it and just use a persons sex.

Good doesnt mean realistic. But either way you don't need to justify larping as a girl to me, I'm just some anonymous person on the internet

>90%
You play with a lot of people. Why did the tenth one not like your characters?

Experience wise for me
>Some good
>Some bad

It mainly comes down to maturity
>Maturity of the player
>Maturity of the group they play with

I'm not trying to justify anything, this isn't something that needs to be justified. But I meant realistic too, I did write believable there. There are plenty of realistic female characters in works written by men.

Currently playing in a campaign with two female characters played by men.

One is a mute, near-illiterate warrior who solves most problems with liberal application of axe and who seems to have lived in the woods like some kind of feral before falling in with the party. (We've picked up a smattering of clues to her backstory here and there, just enough to guess there's something interesting there, but it's hard to get much exposition from an illiterate mute.)

The other is my character, a young mage whose tutor in the magic arts deliberately indoctrinated her with various bizarre delusions, because wizards have no sense of right or wrong. Basically, she thinks she's a magical girl, of the most cliched and hopelessly idealistic variety, but in a world where there's no such thing.

Wtf? People actually tolerate games where shit like this happens? Or did it happen for a good narrative reason? (Party did some dumb shit, and were all killed or captured and gang rape and torture ensued?)
>before I came out as trans.
link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1024517302481?LI=true

Please seek help, we value you.

Stand offish, with a mood of a 30 year-old highschool teacher, both the good parts and the excessive drinking.

Didn't help she was a female minotaur.

How am I supposed to answer this?

Once I played a team mother. What my team didn't know is that I wasn't a cleric, but a min-maxed paladin with a huge amount of healing thanks to magic items.

One combat, they got stomped and she drew her cursed raging sword (Thanks DM) and absolutely destroyed the enemies by herself, before patching up the party.

My character died, but had had a wild magic surge where I'd reincarnate if I died.
GM was limiting race options, so used a custom table, which was strongly male human weighted. However, rolling a 1, 11, 21 etc would would be female.
So my character spent most of the remainder of the campaign trying to get rid of his female half elf body, and back to his original.

I'm an idiot.
I interpreted the question as how did it come about, not how did you do it.

Play them the same as your other characters, they're not that different.
Unless you're playing Maid, then go as offensively over the top as you can.

I've seen this go four ways: The ways you mention and then
4. No one is austistically screeching about it and the character is actually well played.

What said, with some caveats.

There are some motivations which play stronger from one frame or the other, depending on setting/culture.

In most settings, playing a female with the parenthood motivation works better than a male character with the same. In GoT, for example, both Ned and Catelyn Stark play largely from the parenthood direction, and even though Catelyn raging, her motivation comes across as more sincere than Ned's. Cersei is a raging bitch also, but her primary motivating drive for the bulk of the books is from motherhood. The reason she works so well as a character is that her motive is understandable and sincere.

A motive which can be flexible is liberation/freedom. A male drow in FR, for example, could play that motivation very well, but any character from a very egalitarian culture would have a harder time running with that.

Empowerment can take different forms, too. While probably not appropriate for a game focused on combat, a woman taking power using a combination of sex appeal and guile can be just as interesting as one using cloak and dagger to kill her opponents.

In short, a character of the opposite gender should be played more or less the same, but you should seek out appropriately interesting motives for them.

For the story or the image?

My last character was a kindly old druid lady. Gave candies out to the party members when they did well in combat.

That was a really fun game.

I had a fun time with the one female character I played. She was an idol in my friends goofy giant robot setting who got saved by the party from being sacrificed to appease the gods of popularity.

I played her as bubbly but smarter than she seemed. She ended up being team mom supporting other people when they were feeling down and being more mature than they expected.

She also fought by using a mech that just rammed into things at high speed with a high level energy shield surrounding it so that was fun.

I miss that game.

Played a void born assassin in Dark Heresy. To avoid having to roleplay any kind of girlishness, she was Mind Wiped and a Mute.
Made for a lot of fun playing a silent murderchild.

>dat article
What exactly are you implying user? I'm not a psychologist but that paper seems to be suggesting that transsexualism is largely not associated with mental disorders and that people develop healthier mental states after transition. What help do you want the user to get that you think they aren't currently receiving?

I played a lady paladin.
Or two.
It was my magic realm but the character was still fine ok I just wanted a reality where I could be a nice pretty lady lemme have this escapism

Nothing interesting. Surrounded by soldiers, stunned, woke up lost my virginity and slightly damaged.

Playing with my little brother in a group with his friends. Im a bit older than everyone anyway, so I'm playing as his character's Grandmother.
I put on a voice and everything. In the Christmas one-off we're doing soon, Grandmother gets run over by a Reindeer.

You should have done a dramatic reveal at some point that you were a male. Then you would be roleplaying a literal trap.

this

>in a world where there's no such thing
Be the change you want to see in the world. Nothing is impossible
;_;7

I am limiting this to characters from long term games. There are three in total which I have nicknamed the Crude, Lewd, and Prude.
>The Prude, Legends of the Five Rings Void Shugenja.
>This character had an unhealthy fixation on Void techniques
>She spent all of her time researching or adventuring (field testing)
>Her interpersonal skills were politely frigid at best
>She simply did not care enough about interpersonal interactions
>When it came to opposing the Dark Kami, she had "ends justify the means" mentality
>there was speculation whether she came from the Phoenix or Crab clan
>Ended up developing some downright evil Void spells
>a technique that replenishes another character's void points
>it also inflicts a highly addictive euphoria
>at the game's epilogue she has founded her own school
>it is a collection of other Void practitioners and their enslaved bushi bodyguards

tell him to stop

You should play a female character exactly like a male one. You should only really bother playing the other sex if you have gender dysphoria, or you are doing it for fetish. That being said I always play a woman.

Strangely but that is par for the course with any character made by my fellow players.
>W has made a sociopathic maid who is implied to have slain her former master before setting out across 1920s america.
>T has technically played 2 with one being a young sidekick of a superhero who acts like any superpowered youngster would (monsterous with strange morality) and a woman who due to a combination of losing an arm and being raised by the mob is a bit of a rough customer but wants to be a famous singer.
>M tends to make one note specialized characters and the one female character I recall him playing was a very talented but greedy enchanter/thief whose endgame is still a mystery to me.

I myself have yet to make a female character. Is that odd?

Image unrelated.

>The Crude
I have shared this character before. She's from a diceless fantasy game our GM concocted
>character is a ditzy and absent minded white mage of great power
>acts like she was born yesterday, because she Was born yesterday
>she is a sophisticated sentient necromantic construct able to perceive and control the flow of magic
>her creator is one of the most powerful and reclusive necromancers on the planet
>he imbued her with necromantic spellcasting second to his own
>the character is modeled on, or constructed from someone(s) important to the necromancer
>her goal is to spread the use of black !magic, necrocrafting, and the undead
>she does this in the most clueless way possible

>promotes better living through the unliving!
>did you father die? Now he can mow the lawn as an undead horror!
>paralyzed below the waist? How about zombie legs!

>after finding out the morgue doesn't do withdrawals, she sets up a discount healing service
>there is a one time membership fee and stipulation in the contract
>when a club member dies the organization has full rights to their corpse
>all to help the cause of medical science
>she's now undercutting the healers guild
>they complain to the nobility, but she provides even greater discounts to their troops and treats the nobles free of charge
>healers guild starts making noise about her being an undead abomination
>nobles label it fake news

As a male ive played 2 female characters and both have been interesting.
One was a former Imperial officer/medic in a star wars game who later on went on to be the only jedi left since the party killed papa Palpatine and then their ship blew up because the security officer decided to plug her gun arm into the ship they were in and blew the thing to hell.
Other character was a black French female thief in Call of Cthulhu who went crazy and took out the big bads base by blowing up a mountain.

I forgot about her intro to the other player characters
>she somehow ends up in the middle of a skirmish between the other players and some "bad guys"
>her wagon gets smashed
>alchemical equipment strewn every where
>players take pity on her when she fully heals one of their broken arms
>she's given a new, fancier wagon to accommodate her equipment
>bodies disappear overnight
>strange noises from her wagon, party investigates
>the GM first describes the sight and sound as something so awful, it makes you question any faith you had in a higher power
>the bodies from the battlefield have all been reanimated and necrocrafted together a harpsi-corpse-an

How do you play as a female monster/half-monster?

Yeah, I try and play characters that aren't myself, so the less like me the easier it is to assume a role without just making "me, but as a dwarf or elf". It's also pretty easy because I never roleplay anything romantic or sexual, so it's mostly cosmetic.

That being said, it's normally 70% male and 30% female.

It occurs to me that in every single one of my WoD Vampire games every single person chose to play a character opposite of their actual gender and I'm not sure why.

Anyway when it does come up the person either tries to overcompensate the characters sex (acting incredibly macho or dainty) usually for comedy. Or its brought up once or twice as a drama point and is then forgotten other then the occasional side joke that comes up when someone pretends to be someone they're not. Not that much different then playing a different race other then human really.

>the lewd
Twilight caste Solar with a weapons fetish
>original incarnation obsessed with weaponry
>keeps on making bigger and more dangerous devices
>Dragonbloods revolt
>out of spite activates his doomsday device
>a small artificial moon orbiting above creation

>new incarnation is a scavenger and relic thief
>she carries two custom orichalcum flame guns
>wears a orichalcum breasplate

>personality wise i was going for a cross between Tank Girl and Jet Girl.
>other player characters notice something is off with her
>group finds a first age flying warship
>the character starts dry humping the main cannon

You don't.

Why not?

I'd like to hear a story time from that user.

I played a female, short, short-tempered, nationalistic petty officer first class in a not!Ottoman Empire (dark/middle ages). She was a ton of fun. I lorded my rank over everyone and really got into yelling at my fellow players, who played along. We did an expedition into tropic climates, and I remember at one point shouting 'Victory or Death' while charging into a rogue wizard, whose band of merry bandits had us surrounded in an ambush and outnumbered 2 to 1. Nedima paid dearly, but she had balls.