Would you be upset if your DM gave your character a relative out of nowhere, like a little sister?

Would you be upset if your DM gave your character a relative out of nowhere, like a little sister?

Like most GM techniques, this one can be done well or poorly. If the GM was decent, I'd probably be happy to have my character more tied into the story. If the GM was bad, they'd probably fuck it up.

Probably not, unless she's a little shit like in your pic

Not unless he plans to use my new, unexpected relatives as hostages or murder victims of the newest BBEG to show how evil he is

Depends on how it's done, if it's because Dad or Mom were ramblers bouncing from place to place then I'd be surprised if it didn't come up.

as long as i can fuck them

It's not going to be a problem for long. She will be killed off-screan for "drama".

Only if they couldn't pull it off right.
If I specifically mention that my family were all crazy witches and wizards and whatnot I'd be more upset if he didn't have them show up every now and then.

Loosely this.
Is it plausible with the family and characterization I chose? Or is this a random NPC that the GM says I'm related to for some reason?

Given how incompetent he was handling the two family members detailed in backstory, I expect I'd be pretty peeved.

It's probably better if the GM talks about the idea with you in private instead of just throwing something onto you. Otherwise it's a throbbing hit or miss.

"My PC is the oldest of six siblings." I basically hand the GM a blank check for family drama.

My backstory was my wife left me, a few sessions later my granddaughter showed up looking for me

Probably, yeah, to an extent. Now if the guy came to me and said "hey I want to use some of your character's relatives for a thing, give me a bit of backstory" then sure, I'd be down for it.
Now, If it was a case of "Character is looking for their parents" or whatever, then yeah, I'd be happy that the GM finally deployed the plot hook.

this guy gets it. Make the GM really regret trying to flesh out your character.

>Would you be upset
Yes. There's absolutely no reason for them to do that without talking to me first.

Considering the nature of how my bff and I play, I would be suspicious because we always talk shit out. I'd roll with it, but I'd assume it was something super screwy.

In general, though, I prefer talking it out if I don't put it in my character's backstory to begin with. Even just asking, "Hey user, does your character have sibs?" is enough. If they show up, great. If they don't, great.

Granted, if my character has a reason not to know their sibs, I'm totally fine with a random meeting with one, no discussion necessary.

I like to inform and discuss things with my players ahead of times when "there was another" or one of their parents returning/having a secret life is a plot point. When it comes to things like an NPC you killed having a brother or one of the PC's siblings having a child, it depends on the context how I do the reveal.

I could roll with it, depending on if my character already had a good backstory or not.

Only if Im playing a good character because it means that to some degree I need to care about them and chances are that the DM is planning to do something shitty with them

No. Especially if it was part of some weird memory-mindfuck plotline or something else that had a point other than to try to weakly emotionally manipulate me.

Depends, is she going to touch it despite me telling her not to?

i was upset enough when my father did this.

Not unless it went against something already established in my character's past. Otherwise I'd just roll with it.

Used the wrong image, OP.

Depends on how much I fleshed out my character background.
If I didn't at all I'd be fine with it since, and if I did and he's bringing mentioned family members and fleshing them out to include them then that's fine, but if I did and he's just making shit up, like say my backstory has family but no siblings, and he gave me a little sister, I would immediately assume shapeshifting monster trying to get inside my guard.