I found my Scraplootas folder today. It gave me a wave of nostalgia...

I found my Scraplootas folder today. It gave me a wave of nostalgia. It also made me think that more people should give the stories a chance. I genuinely believe they're the best bits of writing Veeky Forums has ever done.

I fear nobody even remembers them now though. A relic of a better time.

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Scraplootas
picosong.com/wFHSt/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/46945911
youtube.com/watch?v=IBeF8BfW4PA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Cringey OC belongs on /qst/.

Just kidding, but I wouldn't be surprised if the thread got moved the instant someone posts Blue.

I feel like it's a shame Blue was the centre of it all as she's the weakest aspect of them.

Literally who

Something made when Veeky Forums was still innocent and fun.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Scraplootas

You'd totally fug her though

Bump for comfy times.

I'm doing something really autistic. Give me ten minutes and then you can give your feedback.

Why did people waste their time writing so much for this?

Here's my autistic thing:

picosong.com/wFHSt/

I only got about halfway through the first story and it took a good 45 minutes. I personally prefer audiobooks as I can listen to them on the move, so I was wondering how it would sound if I had a go at it.

I can't do accents

>Why did people waste their time writing so much for this?

It's hard to picture, but back before 2015, the average poster on Veeky Forums was more interested in having fun than in making others unhappy.

I don't see how writing is fun.

I assure you, it is.

PDFs related

Thing is, it was all actually based on a blue shortstack.

Oops, this should have been second.

She's hardly even the feature of less than half the stories.

She's the main character of almost all of it.

Are any of these worth reading or are they all fapfic tier?

They're fanfic tier, not fapfic. It's far from high literature and leans heavily on Veeky Forums's lolsorandumb humor more often than not. I think there's one fapfic out there, though.

People would probably call it reddit now

It's just very early late naughts Veeky Forumscore. Which isn't that far off

>early late naughts

????

Late naughts, thought I deleted the early bit. It's been a long day and it's only half over.

What a depressing thread.

We must go wider.

You're still alive?

I found some of the jokes land well

Whatever happened to OC?

Someone should totally collect some random Veeky Forums stories to make into an audiobook. I'd listen to it.

>Whatever happened to OC?
quests.

Yup. /qst/ happened.

Now if you want to be creative you get redirected most of the time to a dead board. Also nazi mods, enforcement of the blue board restrictions on the week ends to include text, drawfags being given the shaft and a general 'not on this board' shift for anything user made

The fact drawthreads are now 'free character commissions' instead of being about spontaneous creativity doesn't help.

and the cake still a lie.

I miss the old days of Veeky Forums. When was this? 2011?

The thing is /qst/ "OC" completely lacks the planning and creativity required for good OC.

OK, so the scraplootas were born from a dice roll. After that the were given a lot of character though, through writing and pictures. /qst/ doesn't have that coherence of thought.

Also it's a dead board.

>Whatever happened to OC?

This basically Turns out the people who enjoyed making engaging interactive threads with original content... were the people who made most of the engaging interactive threads with original content on Veeky Forums. Once they were told to GTFO, they did.

>The thing is /qst/ "OC" completely lacks the planning and creativity required for good OC.
A lot of that is the fact that it has almost zero population, because the only people who frequent it are a splinter of Veeky Forums, which is itself one of the smaller boards. OC threads need a minimum number of participants to make the thread shine, and if you can't reach that number, you don't get anything.

So how do we fix it?

>So how do we fix it?
Well, when all the bullshitting threads like Field Kit Inspection got moved to /qst/, it caused the population to go up there. RISK threads are still unworkable on /qst/ because the population is still too small to support a game before it hits the five-day autosage limit, but since /qst/ is for the most part unmoderated and lots of non-quest threads are being moved there, you could start making fun threads (roll threads, collaborative map-making threads, etc.) on /qst/ and try to get more people from Veeky Forums to start browsing it.

I wish we could have a Quest Thread General thread on Veeky Forums with links to specific quests on /qst/ but so far that's an instant deletion.

It's not terrible, just very amateurish and several of the jokes rely on a foreknowledge of Veeky Forumsisms. I'm not saying it's shit and that people only like it because they get that reference, just that if you're going in looking for something to hate, it won't be hard to pick the stories apart.

I suppose that's true. It's the nature of anything than comes from this place though really, you'd struggle to find something that's genuinely amazingly written.

>collaborative map-making thread

These are always fun, let's see what happens

Of course, I just wasn't going to be one of those IT'S ACTUALLY AMAZING I SWEAR faggots. I enjoyed it, but it's not like his life is lessened for not bothering to read it.

That's fair. Is there only one writer for all of it?

Nah, it had at least a couple. I was one of em but I never took a name.

I was also one. I wrote Two Tribes in a fit of autism and boredom. It feels like so long ago.

which one is two tribes?

what was warmaster triumvirate?

Say, did the Gretchin bureaucracy become a fleshed out thing?

The long story.

Sort of. Some of the stories went into more detail on it. It was always my favourite part.

Hey, a Scraplootas thread. Haven't seen one of these since I compiled all the stories into pdf files 6+ months ago.

I'm glad someone saved them.

I'm still holding out hope for those unfinished stories to get finished.

I think you might be waiting for a while. I appreciate the compilation though. I was unironically thinking of doing an audiobook version of them until I realised how long it would take.

Yeah well, two of the writers are in this thread, so my nothing-of-a-hope is that they see there's still interest from someone who likes what they wrote might encourage them to do something at some point.

I mean, I wanted to see where the rematch with the 1st Membranes was going, as well as some form of closure with the other factions in the sector before the endings for Blue.

which of the two things I asked about are you talking about?

Yes

All my stories were finished I'm afraid. I don't like trying to finish someone else's work.

Two Tribes is The 4th compilation contains the full GrotQuest, which took place within Boris.

Both dove deep into the Grotocracy.

There are a number of stories that focus on the inner workings of Boris.

Whoever wrote Yoof was just doing it on the fly in one thread, so I doubt that'll ever be finished. I think the Krumpus Bay stuff was done by Writefaggrot, and that's where the unfinished stuff is.

Unfinished stuff doesn't bother me too much. It's a shame it isn't done, but it's better than nothing.

If it was a solo unfinished story, then I'd agree, but it was building up to something and I'm just left wondering.

>I wish we could have a Quest Thread General thread on Veeky Forums with links to specific quests on /qst/ but so far that's an instant deletion.
That's sad. It would make /qst/ actually useful.

Oh my. It's an honor sir.

Like the other guy, I wrote everything I'd care to on the subject. Not a fan of revisiting old works, hell I don't even want to read what I wrote for fear of cringing myself to death.

Blue and her ded killy dildo are some of my favorite teej things

Welp, I am filled with sadness now.

guise i dont understand; who makes the decisions the draw hard lines between boards and enforce it like nazis??

isnt the purpose and content of a board determined by it's population not a couple unseen moot hirelings??

who is profiting/benefiting from excising creativity from this board??

>Not the animated one

It's not that, really, more a case of "a few bad apples spoiling the barrel". Quest threads got to a point where they were drowning out other content (for instance, about discussions of games) so they cut the board in two. The good stuff got moved along with the... less good.

It's funny how this is what everyone always seems to remember despite showing up only in one smut fic.

Probably because the pics are so good.

This. I understand the split, even if it's disappointing.

If you want me to be interested try telling me why. Why should I care?

It's fun.

I liked the Blood Jaguars

i liked the story times

You must have low standards then.

What were those guys getting up to with their blood alters?

>only showing up in one smut fic

That dumb sextoy was all over the threads, m8. Someone even made rules for it I think. Not that I'm complaining, it was great.

I always found it a bit boring. It's such an obvious joke

>guise i dont understand; who makes the decisions the draw hard lines between boards and enforce it like nazis??
user, you need to understand how much this site has changed since moot sold it to Hiro.

Back when moot ran Veeky Forums, you could email him with a complaint about a moderator or a bug, and he would reply to your email within a few hours and he'd actually try his best to solve the problem.

Now that Hiroshima owns Veeky Forums, he's not concerned with the site as long as he continues to make clickthrough money. He doesn't really know how to run this place, so he's delegated all authority to the mods. Because of this, the mods have been able to carve out their own little fiefdoms on "their" boards without any oversight from Hiro. In the case of Veeky Forums, we ended up with a mod who really hates quest threads, so he (the mod) was able to make the decision to ban them and create a new board without input from the userbase.

>isnt the purpose and content of a board determined by it's population not a couple unseen moot hirelings??
Not anymore since moot sold Veeky Forums.

>who is profiting/benefiting from excising creativity from this board??
The mod who runs Veeky Forums benefits because he doesn't have to see a thing he dislikes on "his" board.

Since /pol/ is the most traffic-heavy board on Veeky Forums these days, Hiro makes the most money by encouraging /pol/tards to continue using Veeky Forums. This is one of the main reasons why nothing is ever done about the /pol/ spam. If Veeky Forums was a more valuable board in Hiro's eyes, we would have more pull, but we don't earn Hiro enough money to have our opinions counted, so Veeky Forums will continue to hemorrhage creativity.

>Quest threads being banned was one mod
Bullshit. We argued about that for months.
>But it was all one guy who was complaining about quests!
Bullshit. If so many people really liked quests that much, why was your board slower than molasses when it first went up? Even with a sticky-link on the top of Veeky Forums, which is STILL THERE? We, as a board, talked about the problems quest theads posed and asked the mods to make a new board for them. They did. And from what I've heard, /qst/ is doing perfectly fine now.
I miss Mootikins as much as the next guy, but things REALLY aren't that different.

>Back when moot ran Veeky Forums, you could email him with a complaint about a moderator or a bug, and he would reply to your email within a few hours and he'd actually try his best to solve the problem.

Or tell you to fuck off.

>Bullshit. We argued about that for months.
You're right; it was probably just a coincidence that within a month of hiro bringing in a new batch of mods we suddenly had /qst/ despite the majority of posters in the thread where it was announced voicing their dissent:
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/46945911

>If so many people really liked quests that much, why was your board slower than molasses when it first went up? Even with a sticky-link on the top of Veeky Forums, which is STILL THERE?
Because quests were just a fun activity that people did while they were in the process of browsing Veeky Forums.

>from what I've heard, /qst/ is doing perfectly fine now
It's still slower than molasses because most of the people who were interested in quest threads on Veeky Forums weren't interested enough to start lurking a second board on the off-chance that they might see something that interests them. It's pretty telling that quest threads supposedly went from "clogging 90% of Veeky Forums" and "pushing all the good threads off the board" to barely getting five posts per hour split between 150 threads. Most rational people would take this to mean that the majority of the people who were interested in quest threads on Veeky Forums weren't interested in browsing another board.

Making a separate board for quests was about as sensible as making a separate board for Excuse Me threads.

>Or tell you to fuck off.
Maybe you just had bad luck with him. I emailed moot at least five times about different issues with Veeky Forums and he always wrote back right away for either more clarification or to tell me that he was working on it.

He even unbanned me twice!

I only remember it being discussed for maybe 3 threads before it died down and other stories took the spotlight.

Sometimes the simple, obvious jokes are the best user

I remember that picture

Reading your link, it looks like most of the negativity is from how /qst/ was going to be set up, specifically with how OP would be the only one who could post images. In terms of outright praise and "I don't want quests to leave Veeky Forums," the numbers seem about 50/50, which was what they were leading up to this point.

Could it be, maybe, that Moot just didn't touch the issue because he was preparing the shift over to Hiroshimoot?

You need a better memory then, lad. It never really died down, hence why we got some pretty nice art out of it.

nah man blue was great

youtube.com/watch?v=IBeF8BfW4PA

can you record some more please. It's nice to listen to while working on things.

>Could it be, maybe, that Moot just didn't touch the issue because he was preparing the shift over to Hiroshimoot?

I think moot just knew enough to not let a handful of whiny shitposters determine what was allowed on a board.

Also,
>Moot

I would but it takes so long. Ever paragraph takes a good two takes. I thought I'd be able to just read through and it would be nice and easy. I've got a new respect for audiobook readers.

But Blue is cute.

CUTE!

Sure, but that's her only feature

Fair point. I still like her (and the scraplootaz in general), but I feel like much like the angry marines, they were very much a product of their time.

Except that I don't find the angry marines amusing.

>I would but it takes so long. Ever paragraph takes a good two takes. I thought I'd be able to just read through and it would be nice and easy. I've got a new respect for audiobook readers.

yeah. finding voice actor blooper reels online really shows that it can take many takes for each part of a production, be it audiobook, radioplay, cartoon, videogame or something else.