What's the most useful magic item in a typical D&D 5E campaign?

What's the most useful magic item in a typical D&D 5E campaign?

Likely a bag of holding.

Can't you just, like, hire 4 guys named Bob to carry your shit around?

You can, but they have drawbacks.
>might die
>might get scared and run away
>might steal
>group of people is less sneaky
>travel at their own speed or require extra transportation
>require food
>tire
>not protected under your personal protection spells
>cost money
>might have moral objections to your actions
>people talk
>require additional equipment
>large volume
>not concealable on your person
>might betray you
>likely less fashionable

fpbp

Bag of Holding is just so damn useful and has no drawbacks

Broom of flying

Why not Winged Boots?

Broom doesn't use a slot on the body.

You can't fall off a pair of boots

"Whatever lets you fly" was my first thought, but after consideration I'd say probably a wand of Cure Light Wounds (or whatever 5e calls it.) You ain't doing shit if you can't survive the lower levels.

This.

Runner-up is probably Amulet of Health, which I would take 100% of the time if someone already has a Bag of Holding.

(5th edition anyways)

>people saying Bag of Holding
>these niggas actually give a fuck about the encumbrance rules

>thinking a bag of holding is only for encumberance

user you don't even know how dumb you look

If bag of holding wasn't allowed to increase your carrying capacity, it would STILL be the most useful item in the game

How?

Discretion, stealth, deception, escape, banishment, dispersal, transport, breathing.

Honestly, if you can't look at a bag of holding and see dozens of uses, go back to WoW.

But, if you're a druid...

>Reincarnation
>Rope.
>Bear form and eat them THEN reincarnate them.
>They're rouges.
>Turn into horse and pull cart.
>Good berry
>Horse and cart
>Make them hide during combat.
>Bear form.
>Bear form.
>Bear form.
>They can have stuff I don't want.
>alright, you got me there.
>They are rouges.
>Bear form.
>Only I wear clothing.

I might've gotten that last part mixed up with something else.

Either way, just be a druid and have people carry your stuff.

Sovereign glue senpai

That's two magic items YOU FOOL

:)

So
>spending magical resources on top
>decrease survivability, add extra supervision time, decrease loyalty, possibly get in trouble with outorities
>be bear that got robbed or spend resources on criminals that acted against you, shift to evil, get reputation as maneater, only chance to get stuff back
>will definitely steal your chaos emeralds
>so you hire guys to do most of their work, got it
>expended additional magic, possible moral problems
>additional costs only to make them viable, decrease maneuverability, decrease stealth
>highly situational
>suggesting crime, disloyalty again
>same
>has no way of stopping them beyond threat
>more cost and you clearly don't mean that anyway, other points suggested slavery before, decreased payload
>
>still less subtle by nature, likely inferior to the group
>has no way of stopping them beyond threat
>having them nude does generally not make them or you more fashionable, increased risk of bodily harm, increased disloyalty, decreased ability to do their job, worse at rogueing.

For 90% of characters the Belt of Dwarbennkind is immensely useful and for its rarity level is more like 3 items for the price of one

Lmao

So you just have a pair of trousers with a broomstick attached? And you stop to put them on before flying?

A typical campaign isn't really going to get past level 5, so the most useful thing "typically" would be "literally any magic items at all".
But more specifically: a magic weapon of any variety. There's so many monsters that have resistance or immunity to nonmagical weaponry that they become a vital resource.

If the party happens to wind up with all magical weapons, then it's time to whip out all the monsters that have resistance or immunity to magic, magical effects, and spells.

Immovable rod. No matter the edition.

Shit has endless utility. I've used it as parachute, door brace, charge deterrent, kept a boat from rocking, clotheslined persuing flying monsters, braced myself to hold the line...