/kdm/ Kingdom Death: Monster (KD:M)

Even more helpful OP edition. There's an FAQ pastebin at the bottom, can you think of anything to add?

Survived a severe injury but bled out at the end of the monster's attack profile: >What is Kingdom Death: Monster?
Monster is a board game about surviving in the darkness. You play a bunch of cavemen stuck inside the world of the Kingdom Death, a setting full of freaky (and sometimes psycho-sexual) monsters.

Prologue Narration: youtu.be/FNLc8dHv0Ac

This game has 3 phases.
1. You hunt down monsters for resources
2. Fight them
3. Return to your settlement with the goods
Your goal is to arm your survivors and grow your settlement over 25-30 'lantern years', overcoming the odds that are against you.

A maximum of 25-30 sessions are expected for a successful campaign. Shorter campaigns will be available in 2019-2020.

>tl;dr
It's basically Warhammer Quest meets Monster Hunter meets Berserk.

>Official Sites
kingdomdeath.com/
twitter.com/kingdomdeath

>1.3 Rulebook
mega.nz/#F!WpB0VJhB!KS3q6INY0vT8IPdtKc9aPQ

>Official FAQ and Living Glossary
kingdomdeath.com/faq/
kingdomdeath.com/wp/living-glossary/

>Other
Official build guides: build.kingdomdeath.com/
Upgrade 1.3 to 1.5 guide: kingdomdeath.com/wp/upgrade-to-1-5-edition/
Unofficial lore and miniature build guides: vibrantlantern.com/
ART OF DEATH artbook: kingdomdeath.com/downloads/kdm-artbook-web-high.zip
1.5 Core Game and 1.3 expansion miniature info image: i.imgur.com/t0clW3a.jpg
Gambler's Chest (coming in 2nd half of 2018) miniature info image: i.imgur.com/A64r2Ar.jpg

>Thread FAQ (Last updated 13th of December 2017)
pastebin.com/raw/VhCkviW8

Other urls found in this thread:

m.imgur.com/UeWQUtG
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for "You are playing the game wrong if you beat the Butcher in your first try"

Or you're just incredibly lucky

Or you're just actually competent. I beat the Butcher on my first try, and the only rule I had wrong that campaign was playing Matchmaker wrong. And to be fair, that shit's worded poorly as fuck, and didn't help me beat the Butcher either.

Only time I've lost versus Butcher is lvl3 variant in 1.3. 50% chance to fail wounds was such a joke.

Ok fags, very believable

Carry a bandage you baby.

>Get in some early wounds
>He starts hacking and whacking
>No hack city or infinite kick ended up in his AI deck tho
>Things start looking grim
>Bow user rolls 2 frenzies on brain traumas
>Gets a third frenzy stack from infectious lunacy
>Nearly finishes him on her next act

It all depends on your inmovations and whether hack city and infinite kick show up

>Knowing this in your first try

Ya? Activating luck charms and not understanding fecal salve in my first playthrough. Wasn't hard to understand from Lion's bleed profile attacks and other severe injuries that getting 5 of them is dangerous.

We literally died versus a level 2 lion lantern year 3 before butcher lvl 1 in our first playthrough, and still came out well.

Shit nigger, everything in the game is dangerous you can't simply contemplate every single dangerous thing and be prepared for it especially in your first play through.
This shit is exactly like Souls in terms of trial and error.

>Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Bloodborne
>Trial and error

Aside from a few annoying gotchas, you're a retard.

>Carry a bandage you baby.
Shit, even that's not necessary. I've never made a single bandage and have yet to lose to the Butcher, though he can sometimes take a couple people out. Granted, I've yet to fight L3 Butcher, but L1 and L2 really aren't so bad. Veeky Forums is just shit at board games is all.

No need to lie on the internet, user.

t. guy who cannot comprehend that someone didn't die to baby's first wake up call.

Sorry for learning mechanics before you did. Try Manhunter lvl 1.

If the faggot soyboys have to lie on an anonymous image board you can bet their faggot asses don't mind cheating at a boardgame to "win" everytime

Since it seems you are new to Veeky Forums, I welcome you to the board.
Usually arguments are exaggerated to make a point. In this case, most of the people in this thread have posted greentext stories of how the fucked up the Butcher fight, like not adding the moods or doing wounding with the stone.
I hope that this clears the misunderstanding, now kindly fuck off.

What is wrong with you?

Time for some perspective.

If you are here, you are a retard.

Are we done being triggered that some people managed to beat the Butcher and he isn't an instant lose for every first playthrough now?

>You are playing the game wrong if you beat the Butcher in your first try
Hardly. Even if you're going in unspoiled (and thus don't realize how important Bandages can be for this fight), the other thing that hoses butcher 1 is evasion, which is fairly plentiful even in the early game and which the Lion's automatic grass will tutorialize you on. If you pull grass on butcher and have a little evasion on your survivors, he whiffs a LOT.

I feel like Kingsman is more the unspoiled humiliator because shields are only about as intuitive as bandages (good, but are they really critical?), and if you fail to have that you can kiss your asses goodbye to late-fight traps.

It can happen randomly. The group of new players I was showing the game to wanted to build 3(!) bandages after the prologue fight because 'it sounds like a good idea'

Exactly this. How are you supposed to know that bandages and shields make certain fights way easier? If not by trial and error or simply randomly, hence the Souls comparison.

>King's Man's trap.
Now that's a real fucker without shields.

Shields vs King's Man: no way to learn.
Bandages vs Butcher: easily learnt through Lion bleed attacks, having a severe injury and noticing 5 kills you. It's enough to make anyone scared.

SotF, grease, rawhide vest and headband, rhythm chaser, tall grass.

Pursue these to make Butcher much easier.

Only a fucking soyboy would be worried about making bandages instead of a piece of armor before lantern year 4

Luck charm.

If I had to guess, I'd wager that they didn't realize the bandages aren't limited-use items. I've had several instances where new players asked me if bandages arrows and frenzy drinks were one-time use items.

Bleed effects are common before the Butcher showdown in terms of severe injuries, hunt events, and both the lion and antelope. Then you have the Antelope fight, which has several hit locations that say "if you're using a club or shield, gain +2 luck when trying to critically wound this location."

You have time before the Butcher and Kings Man to at least have the idea planted in your head that certain gear might prove particularly useful in certain instances. Hell, with how cheap bandages are, I'd be shocked if you didn't make at least one just to have around because you don't have anything else to use the piece of hide for.

I suppose that I should mention that one issue with what I wrote is that shields are entirely dependent on innovating ammonia, presumably earlier rather than later. If you don't get it in the first few years, your innovation deck is likely growing to a point where it becomes less and less likely to draw it, and you'll be without shields for the Kings Man.

Has anyone tested a version where three cards are drawn during standard innovation? I wonder if that would be too powerful of a change, or if it would help open up choices for players, while also reducing the odds that you get fucked out of drawing paint/inner lantern/ammonia?

Ammonia not triggering isn't an issue if you're not drawing it from the innovation deck. This due to free possibilities of gaining it via White Lion hunt or traits of Gorm (that uses a lot of basic actions and highly likely to draw it assuming you use rawhide headband to manipulate it.)

I do feel you on paint and inner lantern, though. No way to get either for free, and dash is pretty damn mandatory to fight late-game monsters.
Shit thing about having no dash is that you're basically limiting yourself to level 1 lion, level 1 antelope and level 2 antelope in core game. Level 2 lion's cunning is too much of a hassle without dash.

>playing with a bunch of math/compsci/stats majors who live and breath eurogames in their free time
>go into Butcher1 lubed up with Grease and docked Rawhide
Sure we lost one survivor to bleed, but otherwise we took out the worst AI cards with Rawhide Headband and a strong pouncer really quickly and ground him down.

Saviors are in core-game.

What is your favorite savior and for what reason?

What forthcoming or future elements are you hyped for, /kdm/?

>Abyssal woods
>Bone witches reverse-hunt/encounters in general
>MORE HYBRID SETS

what is the best Tabletop Simulator mod for KD:M? Is there one out for 1.5 yet?

All the waves of the kickstarter and building a mountain of plastic

canon latex catsuits

Acanthus Doctor pinup

There weren't already?

I mean, I guess not quite as much as the black resin elements in Red Witches...

Anyone have any painted ones?

I want to see what kind of weapons specializations the new crop of expansions add. Also, improving on the katana and scythe specializations. As it stands they seems poorly implemented (1 scythe option) or poorly thought out (katana only available for PotS, via special event, and it's a lame specialization and a bad mastery ability).

This is a dumb question, but is this gear connection legal or illegal? I'm talking about 1/2 an affinity connecting to a blank card edge.

Follow up, can you connect two different colored affinity halves together? Not for any connection bonus, but just for the sake of equipping them.

Yeah that's fine, you won't get an affinity bonus.

Yes, that is a dumb question. The answer is in the rule book.

page number?

You have to connect them, yes. All gear has to be properly connected. Don't waste your time with connections you can't make.

commission i got

The gear is fake. KD is a scam.

>no pants

Nice

As in somebody paid you to paint it or you paid somebody to do it?

That's leather. There's a difference.

Catsup and Mustard paintjob.

After reading the alternate campaigns in scans it has to be more campaign choices. The vanilla finale is not satisfying. I love the Gold Smoke Knight fight but the win condition is legit trash. I know the setting is desolate but the ending is bad. Children of the Stars at least has an actual satisfactory conclusion and Children of the Sun is appropriately tragic, but the base campaign is still unfinished in my eyes. It needs an epilogue past "rocks fall, you die"

Is Obsidian Dragon going to add anything?

You mean Ivory Dragon? That adds 5 years on top of GSK, letting you make armor from him even, and gives a new finale fight with the dragon, hopefully with a more "complete" ending.
Though, for some reason the contents for Ivory Dragon note that there's armor miniatures for it too. Maybe you fight it multiple times?

bumping for page number, PLEASE

You can put any gear card wherever you want in the grid, it just doesn't do anything if it doesn't create a two sided affinity. What do you not get about that?

>looking at the stats on hybrid sets
>Rhythm Chaser wearing Dancer Armor + Monster Grease + Zanbato or First Aid Kit while insane
that's some instant transmission-level evasion

user, please, contain yourself.

From where is that one?

MANHUNTER BAH GAWD

Manhunter

Is this right? First time using green stuff and not sure. m.imgur.com/UeWQUtG

Presumably, like the Dragon King or Sunstalker, you'll be able to slot it in other campaigns.

I think Silver city is another +5 year topping and there may be another I'm forgetting.

You're thinking of the Screaming God.

>m.imgur.com/UeWQUtG
Its alright. I'd have gone abit heavier and sculpted it. Remember you can smooth it out with a wet-finger to avoid that "crumbly" texture.

And don't forget the shoulders.

It's an in progress picture. So I'm learning what to do. So I should put it on thicker then and try sculpt it out? I'll give it a shot.

I agree with this sentiment, mostly because I don't understand the corrosive mist thing. Where does it come from? Why doesn't gsk just use it from the get go? Was he trying to save us from being killed by that?

Poots has said that the Ivory Dragon is the definitive end to POTL, so here's hoping it has a somewhat satisfying ending.

If you feel confident enough yes. Otherwise just put on too much and smoosh the excess away while its still soft. A good example is the phoenix where you can sculpt the greenstuff to feathers.

Huh? Vanilla doesn't turn into gritty, non-survivable years of level 3 monster hunts without development phase etc?

That was, like, coolest thing ever.

Kind of. Now you get I think 5 years of only hunting level 3/legendaries, with a new research system, that ends in a fight with Big Papa Smoke.

Beyond Papa Smorf I mean, yes. Well. I suppose it can be ported from 1.0 without too much trouble.

Distance weapons. Didn’t have dash and managed to win with a spear, long axe, and two bows v.level 2 lion. I had surge though

You know merciless is the end of the turn and not the beginning, right? Did anyone die?
I lost on first try a year and a half ago with someone else's game. Got the game last month, faced him year 4 level 1 Butcher twice.
Would have won the first one if his last two cards weren't both Hack City and Infinite Kick, would have won the second if I didn't let my friend have any say in the settlement and spent the hides on rawhide instead of leatherworks/shields, and even then it all came down to
People don't seem to get that Infectious Lunacy is the real killer, Berserk and Dread Trophies are just icing.

*and even then it all came down one attack roll with a whip while he had two HP left.

>Hack City
>Infinity Kick
Man, I prefer having those as the final AI cards than FUCKING BUTCHERS ROAR HOLY SHIT CUNT

I was doing well, one guy dead, a few with a couple bleed tokens, various depleted armors and light wounds with only two cards left.
Infinite Kick > Hack City > Hack City and I've got one guy left cowering behind a pillar.

I'm kind of bummed that these two principles seem so utterly useless in comparison to their counterpart.

I tried to make them slightly better so you wouldn't feel like you're gimping yourself if you choose either.

I'm quite happy with the Protect the Young - I feel like this change reflects nicely how the new survivors have better health and greater assets for your every day survival without really affecting the fact that they're pathetic weaklings as opposed to Survival of the Fittest.

Cannibalize change, however. On the other hand it feels cheap to alleviate the greatest shortcoming of this principle - nearly losing whole settlement phase if you get a bad hunt or get wrecked by some nemesis. Then again, it's quite disturbing how losing your whole team with Graves gives you gazillion options to re-coup your loss.

Anyway, would these changes make either principle make it to your settlement more often than they do now?

Cannibalize is great, raises the survival limit. Also helps mitigate some early game hurdles of losing survivors.

I mean my group has only gotten to roll intimacy once this campaign and of course it was a 1. Our population is getting dangerously low.

>Protect the Young
>utterly useless
This sounds very funny to an 1.0er like me. Survival of the Fittest was basically "I don´t plan to make it pass the Butcher anyway"-tier.

Cannibalize is great, Graves is just far greater. One could argue that Cannibalize is better in the early game, let's say LY 1-3. But after that there really is no contest.

I grant you that. 1.5 turned around the usefulness of life principles.

>Then again, it's quite disturbing how losing your whole team with Graves gives you gazillion options to re-coup your loss.
3+ understanding on augury makes intimacy 7+, .4*8=3.2, that's not even what you lost, and that's assuming intimacy doesn't roll low.

>I grant you that. 1.5 turned around the usefulness of life principles.
I still don't see it. Have you ever used SotF?

Not him but I have. SotF is very "oh shit" when you're low on population due to higher death rate of children. PotY is also easier access to saviours.

I'd say in People of the Lantern, SotF is slightly better.

Of course it's random, that's true. However, in the same situation with Cannibalize, you would have zero attempts. Unless you want to do math on how likely it is to receive Love Juice from those four dead survivors under Cannibalize, then you might get one or with really good luck two attempts. That might just as well backfire.

Founder's Eye could mitigate SotF penalty even in 1.0.
But besides SotF getting buffed with the reroll. Protect is weaker now because you can't have more than 1 Savior at the time (not from Intimacy anyway, there is some expansions shenanigans to get around that)

The spear and axe guys took the brunt interchangeably while the bows surged and rained arrows and two claw arrows. One dead, one serious injury

>two claw arrows

In 1.5 indeed I have. Sure Face Painting becomes nearly just as mandatory as innovating Paint, but your death rate generally is so low that you should have plenty of time to innovate it.

But as ever, no matter your set-ups that particular thing might hit the fan whenever and wherever and settlement is ruined.

However, those re-rolls help A LOT in dealing with terrible events, so it's more unlikely to have that thing in your fan with SotF.

One for each bow wielder

There is not an argument for PtY over SotF any more; SotF is just straight out better in nearly every single way. The only time PtY is ever better than SotF is if you end up at 5-6 survivors and don't have the depth of rerolls needed to survive a streak of bad luck. Outside of that, being able to just throw rerolls at Intimacy until it doesn't fail, and the math actually coming out at a net positive for rerolls per Intimacy, means that SotF doesn't struggle with population in the long run if properly played.

Cannibalize is fine, though. Graves is better at complete party wipes, yes, and it's awesome when combined with the new Saga so that newborns immediately hit Insight and all come out Tinkers. Cannibalize is better in every other circumstance, however. People greatly overestimate the value of endeavors I find.

Okay how is this then. I did it to be best of my ability but am definitely getting miliput. Screw green stuff I'm never touching it again barring major damage repairs.

I think it made my model look uglier, but perhaps that is simply my inexperienced eye.

Forgot image.

Use petroleum jelly to lube your sculpting tools. It helps a lot.

Also yes, you went enormously overboard with the GS and should remove most of that.

Sculpting tools? You mean toothpicks, right?

fair enough

No, I mean sculpting tools.

This could potentially explain some things. You can get a set of pic related for like $10 on Amazon. Nicer, fancier flexible tools can also be bought from there.