How do I overcome my fear of being a bad player and find a group to play with?

How do I overcome my fear of being a bad player and find a group to play with?

You acknowledge that you will be a bad player, just like every other person who has ever played an RPG. You start out not knowing what you're doing, you make your mistakes, and you improve. Go find a fucking group, start playing and figure it out. Ask the advice of experienced players, let them know what you're worried about, and work with them to make things better. You will fuck up, you will annoy other people and you will feel bad about it, but the most important thing is to not let that stop you, and to not reject the lessons those failures can teach.

By getting over yourself and finding a group of players to play with.
How do you know you're a bad player if you haven't played with a group to see if you are or not?

Remember, there is no such thing as a bad player, inexperienced sure, but the greatest determinant is the sort of group, and game, you are playing.

>How do I overcome my fear of being a bad player and find a group to play with?

By asking this question, you are already not a bad player.

Unlike a bad player, you want to improve your game and are actively thinking about the other players in the group.

You'll probably fuck up, but everyone does. Bad players are the ones that don't learn from it.

I'm not OP, but I have played with a lot of different groups and I was a bad player in all of them. The last one told me that explicitly.
I acknowledge that "just fucking try" is step 1 of learning anything, but when I have these failures behind me and I go into a new group expecting to fail again, it's hard to think positive.

>How do I overcome my fear of being a bad player
Stop reading That Guy threads, first and foremost.

Understandable, but do you reflect on what made you a bad player?
Has anyone ever told you explicitly what made you a bad player?
Have you ever examined the difference between yourself and those that you perceive as good players?
The reason I only said this is because there are so many variables as to what may lead one to be/perceive themselves as a bad player, that there isn't any specifics that can be given without more information from OP/others.

Relax, most of these spergs that you'll be dealing with will be so desperate for human interaction, that you could get the whole group killed, and they'd still let you in

Came here to post this.

Godspeed user.

I'm interested in what did they tell you exactly.
I imagine there is 3 vectors of being bad:
1. Being not good at roleplaying. Awkward, quiet, passive, can't think in character too well and so on, basically being a bad actor.
2. Being bad at the game. Not knowing the rules, bad at building a working character, not knowing game's meta, bad decision making.
3. Pushing the social convention of the group. Player vs GM mentality, unconcencual PvP, general contrarian, "But my character would do that!", and in general unnecessary ruining other people's fun.

And what's good about it, there is "easy" answer for every problem:
1. Practice makes perfect
2. RTFM
3. Drink bleach

OP may be able to learn, but he needs to try to know.

Whereas you have tried and failed and since you are depressed and give up at the first sign of difficulty you won't actually succeed until you learn to persevere and not act like a spoilt child when things don't immediately go your way, user.

>at the first sign of difficulty
Try 5 years and 8 groups of difficulty. Don't act like you know me.

Man, it must suck being bad at something you actively want to enjoy and/or understanding that some things take both time and effort. It's almost like I just intrinsically know that as long as I actually try my best, I'll naturally improve in all things, so I don't have to whine about how incompetent I am on an image board for Chinese cartoons.

being ernest.

how has nobody asked what the fuck is happenning in the OP pic yet

How do I find a group?

>An American Marine Lieutenant bleeds out in his radio operators arms during the Battle of Huế, 1968 (colorized)

(You)

This about sums it up really. Always try to remember that you are not the only person there to play a game. It's easy to get lost in the moment when doing something you're passionate about, which leads to things like spotlight hogging etc.

>no such thing as a bad player
That’s unquestionably wrong, but then again I bet you tell children they can be anything they want to be.

Find group of other bad players. You will not improve, but you will lower your standards.

mostly slavs
and some drama
could be nosebleed, punch, accidental hit or ketchup

>Has anyone ever told you explicitly what made you a bad player?
I needed to "play a more developed character" and I have no idea how to do that.
Normally I write down three or four personality traits on a sheet and try very hard to follow them, but I often fail to act out a consistent personality. I tend to speak in-character only a few short sentences per hour of game sessions because thinking about what my character would say is a slow and stressful process for me.
What is a "more developed character"? Is it one with a greater number of personality traits? Is it one that conveys a few traits clearly and consistently? Is it one that just blurts out more words with no regard for making sense?
>Have you ever examined the difference between yourself and those that you perceive as good players?
They are able to speak in character more frequently, more extensively, and in a manner that conveys their characters' personality traits. I would take 15 to 20 minutes to produce the same quality and quantity of dialogue that flows from them in seconds.
>1. Practice makes perfect
Well yeah, obviously. But I've been trying my best for years, and whenever I fail, I'm ruining the game for other people. Playing a tabletop RPG requires playing with other people. At some point begging them to let me play stops being fair to them.
Do you really think I could post in a game finder thread saying "I am really bad at speaking in-character, I need to use your game for practice" and get a positive response?

Why even ask? Some slav kid bleeding doesn't seem that weird a thing.

Make up a stupid voice and start with a joke character you can practice with in private. As an example next time you're cooking, try doing a stuffy voice and acting like you're some high lord von esquire who just doesn't understand how you common folk can cook food like this instead of having a professional do it for them. You'll feel like an idiot but the shit you say won't matter because you're alone, and it'll help you get used to beign in character.

When learning how to act, it's easier to start with the comically overdone. Once you start feeling comfortable doing it, you can start toning it down and refining it.

That might work. Does it matter if I speak in a different voice out loud or not? I wouldn't play games with voice anyway.

Not him, but tabletop RP is amateur-hour. You don't need acting or voice skills, or even to be a particularly good writer. Just talk and have fun, no-one expects anything more than that.

I think and speak in character. But i cant do accents and voices that arent annoying. Does this make me a bad player? Or just untalented?