Explain to me why this can be readily accepted as a dragon, while the moment a two legged winged dragon appears...

Explain to me why this can be readily accepted as a dragon, while the moment a two legged winged dragon appears, people cry wyvern?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ocX3-XIDNY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Lemme see that closely

Yep, that's a chinese dragon

I guess wyverns just give off that "large animal" vibe while other dragons seem more like fantasy creatures. Like a wyvern is clearly an apex predator but it doesn't seem capable of scheming and plotting y'know?

"Uhh...I-I can explain."

I generally call them Cloud Serpents or Lungs, personally

>Lungs
Why? Are they full of hot air or something?

4 legs (+2 wings optional) = dragon
2 legs + 2 arms (+2 wings optional) = dragon
2 legs + 2 wings = wyvern (or chicken, same difference)

its chink talk for dragon

Because people are pedants. None of its real and none of it matters. If I call an animal a turtle or a tortoise, and they are real it still doesnt matter.

>If I call an animal a turtle or a tortoise, and they are real it still doesnt matter
You monster!

That is so fucking sad

Short answer: idiots, morons, and the terminally stupid who rely on childhood learned info and memes on Veeky Forums. Also trolls but I repeat myself.

Long answer: A lot of idiots have never actually read anything more than pop culture takes on fantasy creatures. This is compounded by overheard and superficial knowledge of D&D which is taken as gospel, despite being twisted into misinformation. D&D is in fact a huge and annoying factor in this misinformation via its use of of calling Welsh style dragons as "True" dragons. This has resulted in decades worth of misinformation and stupidity that has to be corrected for.

Personally, I'm glad PF put Chinese style dragons in the True Dragon category, so that fight can be put to bed much easier.

It's just a way to define each species. In my world the classifications are VERY important in-universe. If someone is being attacked by a Wyvern, the issue can be solved by mid level mages or warriors. But Dragons are so powerful that they challenge arch mages and heroes.

Then what the hell is a drake?

Autism.

Wyverns, Lungs, Drakes, Linnorms. They're all still part of the overall "Dragon" family.

Good job saving that turtle.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ocX3-XIDNY

It's a meme.

A dumber smaller sub-dragon. Sometimes has wings. Sometimes not. It's weird.

A pirate in the employ of the English crown.

Because autism.

Because Chinese Dragons are not Western Dragons, they're another creature entirely. They just happen to be similar to western dragons but they're not anything like western dragons. We only call them dragons because westerners are dumb about cultures that aren't theirs.

Dragonoid is a supertype
Dragon is a type of dragonoid
That is an Eastern Dragon, a subtype of Dragon
Wyvern is a different type of dragonoid completely separate from Dragons

It's kind of like saying "why aren't wolves dogs?" or "why aren't orcs humans?" It's a classification. They're both Dragonoid (like Dragons) but only one is actually a Dragon.

Other classifications have Eastern Dragons as a different kind of Dragonoid altogether.

Because some retards insist that their use of a word is what has been, or should be, used by all people at all times in all places, when really fictional creatures like dragons have been described as different things by different people in different places, many of them using different words.

The real trouble emerges when people insist that a fictional reptiles with two legs and two wings, must be wyverns and therefore cannot possess traits such as intelligence or power. The problem with these idiots is that they want to codify the definition of dragons and lungworms and lungwurms and wyverns, but their particular definitions of these creatures would restrict various creators.

So Dragonoid - Family?
Western/Eastern dragons and wyverns - Genus?
Chromatic/Metallic/Tian/shen/di/fucang/Jiao/Pan/Huanglong/etc... - Species?

Yeah, pretty much. I was using DnD terms because that's what I assume the OP was talking about (If on the off chance he wasn't baiting) but if using the actual classification system then yes.

To be fair, the majority of human beings around the world are dumb about cultures that aren't theirs. We all can only use words that we know to describe the things we don't know, and even when we do know, only we know.

Oh yeah?

What about THIS?

IT IS A FUCKING *LONG* YOU FILTHY GWAILO

I feel like it's a balance thing.

Appearance+Power+Abilities+Inteligence

A Dragon can lack limbs if it makes up for it in two or more other categories.

Chinese Dragons lack wings, but they still have flight, and they are very smart and powerful. Meanwhile the classic dragon has 6 limbs, are dumb, but can fly and are moderately powerful.

That's why Paarthurnax, despite being wyvern shaped, is still a dragon, he's got brains and power to make up for his lack of limbs

Because no actually gives a shit. But wyvern threads are guaranteed (you)s so people keep making them.

Because wyvern threads are guaranteed (you)s.

The legs are too long relative to the body for a Chinese northern dragon. This is a furry dragon.

Animalia>Chordata>Dragonid>Dragon>Westernus>Chromatica>Red

Animalia>Chordata>Dragonid>Dragon>Easternus>Long>Seiryu

Animalia>Chordata>Dragonid>Drakia>Duocrusca>Wyvernus>Wyvern

...perhaps.

Because those people are autistic faggots, wyvern is just a word used in heraldry used to denote two-footed dragons

No one ever actually cared to make a real distinction between wyverns and other types of dragons other than that

>Meanwhile the classic dragon has 6 limbs, are dumb, but can fly and are moderately powerful.
>are dumb

No they're not

Those are all distinctions that just exist in your brain

i go with the Monster Hunter ruling on it

Since I don't know, it's a Dragon

Because in english, Wyvern has a specific meaning while dragon is broad.

learn to use google and go fuck yourself with this tired thread.

A male duck