Be holy warrior and faithful follower of the god of light

>Be holy warrior and faithful follower of the god of light.
>Discover that you have worshipped and served a eldritch abomination all the time. No god of light

What would be the proper response? Maybe I am a bad roleplayer, but I really have problems how a devout guy would react to it.

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/qlippoth/qlippoth-lord/qlippoth-lord-chavazvug
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

many would go with denial and carry on regardless 'the wicked are lying and defaming God'. Others would kill themselves or go into a deep depression until they find something worth fighting for (urge to belong and do good remains). There would also be the 'i'll kill you you bastard' rampage against the church leadership/anyone who knew. Or suicide.

Keep serving it, after all it being an eldritch abomination doesn't mean it isn't the true God.

Isolationism, sad thinking, and then after that something like "okay now i'm sure I like the light side", or "everything sucks and I don't care anymore".

no matter what you're sure to have a crisis of faith. doubts in the value or goodness of everything you did. in the end there's probably only 3 meaningful outcomes once you've processes the crisis (which itself may be quick or very lengthy).

1, your faith was a lie so you abandon it, leaving the church behind you forever. May be partnered with trying to enlighten eveyone else to the true nature of the god.

2, the being is still your true god, and you will still serve it with the same loyalty you always have.

3, your god is a liar but your religion is just. continue in the ideals you used to believe in. this may or not make you oppose the eldritch entity, depending on how close its true goals match the fake churchs ideals.

The biggest question is how different is the eldritch being to the god it pretended it was.
Is it essentially just the same thing, sharing the same values and abilities ascribed to the god?
Or is the god of light wholly an act and mask used to facilitate some malevolent goal?

>What would be the proper response?
Finding out who's responsible and shoving an armoured fist up his unholiest.

My main question is,
>Has it stopped being Good?

This.
Never admit that you were wrong.
>There is an explanation to everything
>God is just testing me
>I will be rewarding in the end

Maybe my god is an eldritch abomination but he is not an evil abomination. I will serve him as I used to.

That's the way. Also, if it was giving you holy, light based powers the entire time I question what OP means by eldritch.

Just use Detect Evil.
Either way, feelings of betrayal or doubt.

Huh? Light does not necessarily have to be good. Tzeentch is heavily on light.

Not all faithful are zealots user
But a crisis of faith can do nasty things to an otherwise good person that's true

Pisssd me off in wow too

Yes, but you've probably been healing people and helping your friends, protecting innocents, bringing justice, reforming villains and smiting evil, and he's been empowering you to do that.

>you discover that there's less scrupulous people who also receive power from him
>you then go on a quest to redeem your God

Is it the source of the light? The flame that burns out evil, and illuminates the good? Is it the torch that you use to do great works?

If so, then what does it matter if it's not a god.

If not, then it shall be cleansed like the rest.

Try to speak to it somehow, to see if it's truly evil or merely a liar and abandon the order completely to join the side who wishes it dead.

If it turns out to be good though, keep on doing your thing but with way more doubts, maybe fall anyway because the faith will never be as strong again.

If he was giving me the powers of light to save people, it matters not if he is an eldritch monstrosity. God needs not to be comprehensible, and if he was indeed the fountain from where the power i used to save people came from, i don't actually believe he is evil.

So... Yeah, keep on healing and smiting.

> Har, har, I'm so edgy: god's not good in my game! take that, Dad!

Clearly the elditch abomination is tricking the holy warrior. Kill it and restore access to the true God of Light.

How mad would you be if it turned out that an organization of demon-hunters and redeemers of chaotic evil mortals was actually an operation run by a qlippoth lord?

The qlippoth want to cleanse the Abyss of all demonkind, and they want to stop chaotic mortal souls from becoming demons in the Abyss. What better way to facilitate that than by sponsoring demon-hunters and by redeeming mortals away from chaotic evil?

Specifically, Chavazvug would sponsor this project.

d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/qlippoth/qlippoth-lord/qlippoth-lord-chavazvug
>Unlike other qlippoth lords, Chavazvug has chosen to focus on battling demons themselves rather than the sinful souls that spawn them. This makes Chavazvug the least antagonistic of the known qlippoth lords to mortal worshipers, yet the qlippoth lord remains uncaring in the long term for the health and prosperity of “lesser beings” that worship him.

Book of the Damned, page 128:
>[Chavazvug] is unusual among the qlippoth in that his hatred is not of mortal life but of demonic life.

Chavazvug may be uncaring for mortals in the long term, but that just means he likes using mortals as catspaws against the demon menace. And is that really so bad?

>edgy
ugh

Not exactly the same.
But in a Deadlands:helll on earth game, my character was essentially an anti-paladin.
The god I worship was an old PC from a cyberpunk game that survived the apocalypse and went around hording nukes and relics and the like.

I met him in Person. And he was a huge cunt, which was fine. The religion basically encouraged us to be racketeering gangsters.

But he was also a normal dude. And he wound up stabbing me in the back (shocker) and ran off into space letting earth burn in nuclear fire a second time. My character tried to cope with it for a few sessions but near the end couldn't handle it anymore and shot herself.

Don't look now but I think Wales it trying to eat the Severn Estuary, OP.

Personally, I would play up the denial in a different way--reject the eldtrich monstrosity as a pretender and continue worshiping your idealized image of the god of light after a lengthy period of repenting for falling for a false prophet.

If it's still just alien but still benevolent then just keep serving it. If not then start a holy crusade to kill it and take its power achieving apotheosis and finally becoming the god of light you once worshiped. Use newfound powers to retroactively erase all existence of loathsome elder being and have it so that you were sole god from the beginning.

Well, is it an eldritch abomination of light? If the powers you received seemed good and harmless, and all you did didn't bother it enough to take them away, he might not be that bad. Shocking, but in a sense you were at his side all along.

No matter what I do it probably isn't going to end well.

Well. He gave me powers to fight evil. Why would I stop? Because he fucking looks ugly?

You double down.

You go up to the eldritch abomination you have been serving all this time, unsheath your sword, and start quoting the holy scripture of its own religion. The doctrines that gave you strength when you were weak, that gave you hope when there was none.

This monster is not the god you thought you were working for, and is unfit of worship. But the message of the god of light you followed? The faith that defines you? That's still real.

Whether the god of light really exists somewhere doesn't matter. It NEVER mattered. Last week you were the light of the dawn sent to break the darkness, the shield of the weak there to protect the world.

And today, facing the horrifying thing parading around as your god?

You are still the light of the dawn. Sent to break the darkness. You are the shield of the weak. And you are there.

So go protect the world.

Fuck dude thats some Commander of a Paladin Order material right there

If it gave you power to do what is right is it that bad?

Eldritch abomination =! Evil