Give me one good reason why fantasy races would co-exist peacefully within the same nation while we historically could...

Give me one good reason why fantasy races would co-exist peacefully within the same nation while we historically could barely tolerate people from the next town over.

Because theres a huge external threat forcing them to coexist, and said threat treats every single menber that is inside their nation as monsters.

this hasnt stopped humans before. Look at the welsh, couldnt band together to fight the english because they hated each other too much.

Is there anything wrong with having a human nation, a elf nation, a orc nation etc?

I agree OP, it's bullshit how fantasy kitchen sink settings like Elder Scrolls can have "human cities" where your neighbors are Drizzt, Shrek and Garfield. It insults my intelligence to pretend the non-human citizens wouldn't be segregated.
In fact, letting them encroach on our territory at all is basically species-wide cuckolding, because like it or not we are in a zero-sum game that we can lose. Just ask a Neanderthal about it, oh wait, you can't.

A shared religion
Economic necessity
Forced unity under a single authority like an emperor.

And remember, peaceful co-existence doesn't mean happy and frictionless.

Each species has an interconnected history of various relations reaching back however long you want your setting to be. Maybe they've gone through the globalization we're going through, or are going through it, and certain distinctions don't hold as much weight as they once did in the past. I mean, we may live in turbulent times, but we, at least in the west, do not live in a state of perpetual open warfare. Of course if you're just gonna paint it all black and white and have it either be all conflict or none, you're a shit writer. Many races in places may get along well, many races in other places may not. Many race may get along well NOW, but not for long. There are outliers and examples in peaceful cohabitations. The trick is to use conflict and peace together in degrees.

Yes

It's gay

>historically could barely tolerate people from the next town over.
>next town over.

so what if they are living in the same town?

sometimes you want a world where different fantasy races can interact in a context outside of war because it'd be fun

They are usually geographically separated. Elves live in forested areas, dwarves in mountains, etc. Elves, dwarves, and gnomes are usually good, so that's why they don't fight. Humans are evenly split between the alignments, so they sometimes fight. Orcs, gobs, others are evil and often stupid, and can't manage to wipe the others out.

If you really think a D&D world through, it ought to be ruled by dragons, giants, and other powerful long-lived monsters. I'm thinking it would be hard for a civilized area to spread out, as it becomes harder and harder to protect your outlying farms and such, so most places would be city-states with lots of wilderness between them where monsters dwell. Good luck raising a big enough army to cross that and wipe out your enemies without someone doing it to you while you're gone. Also, maybe the dragons/giants/whatever don't want their vassal/slave populations wiped out.

Really I don't know. I try and make something sensible every once in a while, but my ol noggin just ain't big enough.

Cringe

Because monsters. An incredible, frankly unbelievable amount of monsters that infest cities, dungeons, sewers, the wilderness, mountaintops, the oceans, fucking everywhere.

In that kind of situation I'd ally myself with anything that could speak my language, had 2 arms and 2 legs.

It's a fantasy setting.

Also, y'know, you're vastly oversimplifying history, coexistence between different cultures has occurred all throughout history, it's just that the conflicts are often the more notable historical moments and are given more focus and remembered more vividly.

What is with you basement dwelling fags thinking human beings can't get along whatsofuckingever in any situation?

I just figure out racism and xenophobia between mortals wouldnt be that high on the priority totem if there were actual undead, demons, fey and other fucked up shit out there

>fantasy races
>historically.

If your game of old men who are fireball flinging demigods falls apart under the strain of diversity, it's time to up your meds, mate.

Do you want to get smited because you didn't know that your patron god is currently sleeping with the goddess of the dwarves you just tried to go to war with?

Because humans will fuck anything.

If all the races in fantasy have near equal levels of intelligence and empathy, there is no reason why it wouldn't work.

Additionally, in many fantasy settings races are created by the Gods instead of evolving in competing and separate ecosystems. If the Gods simply created them with the idea to co-exist, then they would.

Despite all this; there's nothing saying your setting needs to confer to this rule, OP. You can have an edgy little faggot special snowflake settings just like everyone else on Veeky Forums.

They use different ecological niches. Elves live in forests, dwarves live underground etc...

Careful. You wouldn't want to ally with monsters would you? In real life there was already blood libel about Jews eating babies. Hobgoblins ate my baby would be a common slander.

>this hasnt stopped humans before. Look at the welsh, couldnt band together to fight the english because they hated each other too much.
user, you gave an example where it did not stop humans. But there are plenty of examples where it DID. WWII, for example, saw extreme conditions lead to one side composed of Germans, Italians, and the Japanese and the other side had the British, Russians, and Chinese, among others.

You asked for one good reason, and the first reply provided it.

A fantasy world where magical and divine threats to existence (often *worse* than WWII) keep happening at a pretty consistent rate *could* lead to a situation where most of the races who survive did so by banding together with certain other races in multicultural nations or alliances.

Could you please respond with a complete sentence? I have no idea what you mean.

>Because monsters. An incredible, frankly unbelievable amount of monsters that infest cities, dungeons, sewers, the wilderness, mountaintops, the oceans, fucking everywhere.
Elves. You juse described elves.

Hell, one could argue that D&D actively selectively breeds humanoids for the ability to work together with other humanoid strains.

Yeah, yeah, not every monster is supposed to canonically exist in the same world, but seriously, the D&D world is a freaking death world. Giants, dragons, fey, slimes, demons, devils, elementals, beholders, illithids...

It's pretty basic natural selection. Those who work together have a better chance of surviving, so their genes pass on, whilst xenophobes tend to end up being eaten by red widows or crushed by dragons or whatever.

Cities like New York and London exist, just create little districts or unique neighborhoods in side your fantasy town and park it on a water accessed trade route.

Idunno, we used to have serious rivalries based on where in the city you lived, here. Being in the wrong place would get you beat up.
That ended about 20 years ago though.

But what happens when humans cut down the forests and mine the mountains or graze their herds there? if there are elves or dwarves on the king's land he'll want them to submit to his authority

Did you ever look up why the fuck people don't like the assholes the next town over?

SPOILER: IT'S MORE COMPLICATED THAN THAT YOU STUPID MOTHER FUCKER

Because the modern concept of race is pseudo-science bullshit invented by imperialists in the 17/1800's to make conquering poor people easier. Historically people cared much more about culture than skin color (or even religion , until some flaming bush talked to a Jew)

oh yeah, humans can get along like that. But what happens when they live next to ACTUAL Subhumans!?

I'm yet to see a fantasy setting where there wasn't friction between different species, races or cultures interacting.

Hell, the last act of The Hobbit was all about different states on the edge of war before the goblins show up and force them to unite.

they can't interbreed, nor are ever jew or nigger tier

You a bitch ass nigga and everybody knows it

A biologically supported caste system?

Xd da elf meme :Pppp

Perhaps there's a fantasy race that is way better at getting peoples of disparate cultures to be friendly with them and with each other than humans are? That could be their shtick, like how some fantasy races are stronger than humans are or more graceful or whatever other trait.

colonialism