Why do you most people not like monopoly. I think it's alright. Not top tier but playable...

Why do you most people not like monopoly. I think it's alright. Not top tier but playable, a good way to wind down a game night.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D2ydY5sBnIg
youtube.com/watch?v=AqnpwixB7P8
youtube.com/watch?v=ATnXloqRfdA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Boring, no real strategy or tactics, luck based.

then why do i always crush people when we play?

If you play by the official rules, there are tactics. For example, don't ever upgrade to hotels, because there are only a finite number of houses.

Also, Park Place/Boardwalk is a trap. Instead, go for the green/yellow corner.

Thanks to the horrible win condition, it usually drags on for ~3 hours or until everyone gets bored and quits.
No strategical depth - mostly a game of "roll your dice, move your mice."
Once someone gets a lead, it becomes harder and harder to dislodge them. Even being the person in this position, the "power trip" can quickly turn into a hope for the game to just end already.
It's just not fun to play.

Because they're retarded
That's extremely shallow stuff, hardly counts.

>go for the green/yellow corner.
Pleb. Orange, light blue, and Red are the best, because statistically, you spend more time at Jail and Go than anywhere else; you want properties that are 7 (or thereabout) from those spaces.

>If you play by the official rules, there are tactics. For example, don't ever upgrade to hotels, because there are only a finite number of houses.

What stops you from using Lego bricks as stand-in houses?

In the official rules, if someone lands on an unowned tile and chooses not to buy it, it goes up for auction. This is a rule most people are unaware of, and auctions really add tactical depth to the game, as you try to decide how to bid so as to preserve money for later tiles vs getting this one right now, and keeping it from others.

Auctions also speed up the game, as all the tiles get bought up faster.

It's a slog.

The limit on the number of houses and hotels is part of the rules; what you are asking is like "what's stopping players from bringing a second basketball and playing with it"

Shallow gameplay and too governed by luck in the early rounds.

OP Here! Do you guys think that the "Free Parking" money rule helps balances the game int he sense that if one person is ahead and the amount on free parking is substantial then they could make a comeback?

It's sort of like landing on the bank in Mario Party 2

This board doesn't need a moderator, it needs an exorcist.

Why play Monopoly when you can play a better game with the same concept?

I say we dust off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Monopoly is a traditional board game. This board is also the home of chess, go, shogi, tic-tac-toe, etc. etc.. It's always been that way. It's just that nobody wants to discuss that shit.

Also, I'm still pissed we didn't get the international release of the mobile version got shut down.

>This board doesn't need a moderator,
I've been saying that for years.

Good Heavens no. Free parking does nothing, has always done nothing, and must ever do nothing. Every faggot who made "free parking" give out money is responsible for stretching out the game pointlessly and making it even more a matter of luck.

this post should go on our banner

Is there a list of "tg recommends" or boardgame essentials?

Do people not realize that the whole game was designed as a satire/critique of capitalism? It was pretty much designed to be unbalanced, and if even one person really knows what they're doing, the game's not gonna be fun for anyone.

Most of the common house rules people play with, like ignoring the auction rule or the fixed number of houses are a desperate attempt to make the game actually fun.

Except that no, those house rules are not designed to make the game more fun, nor do they do so. Those "house rules" exist because people do not read the actual rules, and their only effect is to make the game longer and less tactical, and thus less fun.

The game is fun, you are just bad at it.

this is bait,
also it's because you need a very heavy set of home rules for it not to be won by the person who gouse first or lands on the best property first, and the rules are a mess, and there is really no need to play after the time that 60% of the spots are bought, you allredy know who will win by then

the house rules are made so people cant bullshit the game even more, and even than it dose not really work. Both the limited number of houses and the auction rule means the person who played the most agresevly in the early game will be the person who wins, there is no mid and late game, it's only early and than waiting for everyone to get bancrupt due to the fact taht you have all the best spaces

youtube.com/watch?v=D2ydY5sBnIg

I don't know about the whole board, but I really enjoy 7 wonders and splendor.

Splendor is a simple

The reason people hate it is because it's a griefing game. They are probably shit players and get fucked up because they don't realize it's a game about aggression.

Also no, the game doesn't take much time to end. The only reason it does for most people is because idiots don't read the rules.

Aversion to fun?

Because.
youtube.com/watch?v=AqnpwixB7P8

If I'm going to play a board game that's going to get my friends or family mad at me I would rather play Catan

>Why do you most people not like monopoly?

Because it was *intentionally designed* to make most of the players feel bad. Pic related.

Or perhaps this:

youtube.com/watch?v=ATnXloqRfdA

I second this. We should have a banner with this post. Perhaps also a picture of toiletpaper and piss golem.

I want Jim Carry to make good movies again.