Another D&D Movie? Brace yourselves, Veeky Forums...brace yourselves

>variety.com/2017/film/news/paramount-g-i-joe-dungeons-dragons-1202644244/

Short version: Hasbro and Paramount have a new deal going forward for production and distribution. On the slate is a D&D film slated for 2021.

I am worried, that it will fall prey to the fates of the three attempts what came before it.

Other urls found in this thread:

variety.com/2017/film/news/paramount-g-i-joe-dungeons-dragons-1202644244/
youtube.com/watch?v=25Qq8k7V83g
youtu.be/OL4w__Vqdjg?t=2m16s
youtube.com/watch?v=4IeEjfbpkt8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

See, here's the thing. It's not that a D&D movie is a bad idea. Far and away from it. Franchises like Lord of the Rings, and the popularity of Game of Thrones has shown time and time again that fantasy can garner large fanbases. What'll cripple this movie, though? Putting the words D&D in the title, or anywhere near the marketing.

Normies will avoid it like the fucking plague. You have to trick them into watching it, like slapping the name of the setting in the title. People won't watch a D&D movie, but I bet you they'll watch the shit out of something called Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun, or Ravenloft. They'll eat it up, and by the time they realize it's a D&D movie, it'll be too late. We'll have their money and their attention.

wat

My big concern is that the last three movies were...just...no.

We had the big budget shitfest that hit theaters and then one passable scifi original movie and a third followup that was too meh for its own good and too much uncreative jamming of magic items or lifted from the MM creature art onto screen.

I want them to tap into the well of the D&D IP and use the novels and settings. I want them to have a member of the WoTC team on hand to keep he movie on Brand, hell I wouldn’t mind some Synergy between the movie and the hardcover book releasing around the same time be planned ifnthey can execute something well.

And, maybe, if they’re going to make a D&D movie, maybe they can tap into the idea that’s been kicking around forever and make a movie about friends playing D&D instead of some douche nozzle screen writers attempt at thinking he’s about to shit out a fantasy epic to rival Tolkien.

"LET THEIR BLUD REEIIINNN FROM THA SKAAAAAAAUAUUUUGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!"

Greyhawk sounds like the best one. Reminds the normies of a B-grade action/fantasy affair, something you kill two hours on sunday with or watch over dinner. Convince them they're in for a generally fun ride of little import

Fuck, link isn’t working

variety.com/2017/film/news/paramount-g-i-joe-dungeons-dragons-1202644244/ let’s try this again

It should be a Netflix-like season-release-all-at-once show. How the fuck are they gonna illustrate an illustrious long-form campaign with appropriate character development in one movie? The medium is too restricting

D&D is more popular than it's ever been, with only the early, early 80s competing. Doing even a supbar blockbuster movie would be a great cash grab.

The real problem is that they never fucking do what they should do. The Drizzt stories were *stupidly popular*. The D&D CRPGs are also STUPIDLY popular. Just make a fucking Forgotten Realms movie based on one of those. Instead they write half-assed "custom" scripts that avoid where all the mainstream popularity is.

Just make a goddamn Drizzt movie.

Maybe they’ll make the movie instead about people playing dnd or a fantasy saga they’ll do a move about Gary, Dave, and the rise and fall of TSR? Including the psycho lady who owns buck Rodgers.

Key to D&D movie success
>Pick iconic setting e.g. Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, whatever
>Pick iconic module e.g. Keep on the Borderlands, Tomb of Horrors, whatever
>Create some basic characters that fit the core classes/races
>Avoid using established characters
>Make Movie

Or
>pick book
>make movie
>avoid Drizzt related material

Better than new Star Wars at least...

Jeremy Irons was a delight in that movie.

You can't do a blackface Drow. Community got away with it shockingly, but it's not gonna fly on the big screen.

That's not much of an accomplishment. Even Turkish Star Wars managed to pull it off.

>Tomb of Horrors movie
I would unironically watch that. Although I'm not really sure how well you could manage to translate that campaign into a script without being meta as fuck and confusing the shit out of everyone not familiar with the module.

>Just make a goddamn Drizzt movie.
only if they cast this dude as Drizzt

If special effects can make a fucking talking raccoon look decent on screen, they can make a drow not look ridiculous.

it's more of the gigantic blackface problem

>red eyes with pupils are not drow

Drow aren't black the way that humans are "black". They're truly ashen black with inhuman hair and eye colors.

>>Pick iconic setting e.g. Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, whatever
>>Pick iconic module e.g. Keep on the Borderlands, Tomb of Horrors, whatever
It won't work. The real key to success is to take Tomb of Horrors and turn it into found footage horror movie like Paranormal Activity.

I was younger when I watched this movie and I found the main girl in it hot as fuck.

I unironically enjoy wrath of the dragon god. I bought it on DVD.
Pic related

My heart wants a Fell's Five movie but my brain knows it won't happen.

Fuck all ya'll, give me an Eberron movie.

>avoid Drizzt related material
Oh fuck I hadn't even considered that possibility. A movie based on that particular Mary sue would be...disastrous.

>implying that matters

Implying the average brainlet in the street wouldnt love it

That is precisely why it would be disastrous

I don't see anything wrong with using the original Crystal Shard, Streams of Silver, Halflings Gem as the base for a movie or series.

It looks fine.

Guess we can't do live action batman/robin either!

youtube.com/watch?v=25Qq8k7V83g

Someone please post those pictures from Joe Manganiello's home gaming room. I know someone has them.

youtu.be/OL4w__Vqdjg?t=2m16s

>blackface problem
maybe find a black actor, there's bound to be one out there somwhere

I mean if it's bad enough, it'll be good, right?

Sure, now find a black man with elven features that can be enhanced with makeup.

Jeremy Irons is entertaining.

I think this guy did a reasonable job.

The problem isn't in the marketing of the name, if that was the only issue you'd get a movie that few people want to watch, but it could still be perfectly decent.

The problem is that d&d is a game system, not a setting or a story. Anyone who has been on Veeky Forums for any period of time has seen countless completely asinine threads on topics that stem from this problem. A "d&d movie" literally can't be anything else but a meme.

Finding one that looks like an elf would be the issue. They're usually depicted as having very sharp facial features, whereas black people irl tend towards the more bulky.

But they are where the blackface problem comes from

Honestly, it'll fail unless they pick a setting.

Dungeons And Dragons? That title is so broad in terms of what it means as to be basically useless. High Fantasy, Gothic Horror, Steampunk, and stranger all exist under that label, which the writers of the previous movies used as an excuse to just stick whatever fantasy movie was on ice, add a couple of D&D references, and reheat them in the oven.

So whatever they do, they have to pick a setting, look at it's themes, and stick to it.

It should just be about some kids playing D&D.

Spelljammer movie when?

Book of Vile Darkness was alrite- I mean it had a fucking Slaymate, complete with Child Blowjobs and all. That and an incredibly distant Pelor

Dont ypu wan "pelloh"?

The skin on that is *literally* the best thing about the cosplay. Good on you for trying, though.

Tim Russ and Lance Reddick both look a very particular kind of elven, and their facial structure is hardly that unique.

youtube.com/watch?v=4IeEjfbpkt8