/bgg/ Board Game General - furball security system edition

Last thread
Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#
Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

So how do you keep your games safe and in good condition /bgg/? Sleeves? Matte clear varnish? Avoid any clumsy and/or drunk people touching your precious cardboard? When traveling with them, are your games just tossed in the car or is there a special case/bag for your favorite toys? Do you have them listed on your insurance, or just use a 4 legged friend to keep your games safe?

Here is the best tip if you are concerned with the condition of your games: Don't playthem.

I couldn't come up with any questions, so I picked a random image and forced myself to make shit up based on that. We've covered everything in /bgg/ dozens of times over

Rai-net knock off user are you still about?

Sleeves for everything that has cards. I'm even considering double sleeving my Starcraft cards if I can figure out which two brands will make a fit.
Don't use rubber bands for cards.
For some often used tokens (i.e those that are prone to being held by fingers a lot) I apply varnish.
There are some people that are known to spill, when they are around everybody has to keep their drinks off the table.
I try to keep people with "cheeto hands" from touching anything but even if somebody is diligent shit sticks so I try to wipe it off the day after playing.

>double sleeving
Maybe check out TCC for an idea on what to use? That guy's autism on sleeves/deck boxes/portfolios is fantastic

I just dont handle my games like a retard

The cards in Starcraft: The Board game are not the same dimensions as m:tg cards. If that were the case I'd know what combination to use.

How many games in this image do you own /bgg/? How do you feel about expensive board games as a consumerist symbol?

Only Hanabi and Sushi Go (party). I do wanna buy the Android Netrunner revised coreset when it's released in Europe.

I like it. Especially out of print stuff. Kickstarter not included: that shit is retarded, and the game has to actually be good.

I own Small World, Betrayal (and the expansion which were both gifts) and my brother just bought Ogre

4 (5 if ogre pocket counts as ogre)

I hate it. Especially because it's treated the same as any other consumerist hobby. For some reason for alot of people their life has to always be boardgame related and they're a boardgamer first, human second

Oops. Meant for

some questions dear friends
1. I played Majesty... not really convinced its worth the money. Its light and short but kinda lacks something. Opinions ?
2. Is the the Hellas and Elysium expansion worth purchasing for Terraforming Mars ?
3. Scythe... i played the game, is good but not stellar (in my opinion of course). Is it worth the money ? i played it only once and i found it very enjoyable but inferior in every way to Terraforming Mars. It seem prone to becoming repetitive. Any good in 2 players ?

For those who frequently “upgrade” to new versions of the same game, do you find yourself salvaging pieces from the older games a lot? Specifically for me, I just got Twilight Imperium 4th and although I’m pretty content with all the cardboard I think I like the old ships better. They just have a weight to them that I prefer more.

The only other example I can think of (which isn’t really a board game per se) is the Mouse Guard box set. The 2nd edition just felt cheaper, and didn’t have some of the extra bits that the original did.

So you want a retail quality one off for the same price as a single unit of a mass produced small print run?

It's more realistic you already own the game and forgot. Maybe go check your mom's closet.

precisely one. but my cat is in a box, does that count?

No need to be an asshole jeez. I'll just make one myself lmao

Although you shouldn't really ask other people to name prices. I can pay alot higher but not without knowing what's on the table

neat

sure kid. post your cardboard mess when you're done, k?

>Cardboard mess
>Game justs consists of some cards
Uh

you're off to a GREAT start

I still haven't decided wether to wait until I get a 3d printer and use that for link/virus cards yet user so I'll let you know how it goes

What's the general consensus on Zombicide: Black Plague?

The best zombicide. But that's still doesnt say much imo

>So how do you keep your games safe and in good condition /bgg/? Sleeves? Matte clear varnish? Avoid any clumsy and/or drunk people touching your precious cardboard?
The latter, mainly. I need to sleeve Resistance Avalon at some point though, and Inis. Not because I play with assholes, just because I play them often.
>When traveling with them, are your games just tossed in the car or is there a special case/bag for your favorite toys?
Just toss them in a tote bag of some sort and toss that in the car. In fact I've taken to storing two games in a box when there's enough empty space. Turns out Cyclades can fit snugly with Inis in the Inis box, so until I get expansions for either, I'll just keep them together.
>Do you have them listed on your insurance, or just use a 4 legged friend to keep your games safe?
Maybe I should.
>How many games in this image do you own /bgg/? How do you feel about expensive board games as a consumerist symbol?
Exodus: Proxima Centauri is the barely visible black box in the bottom left. That's it.
On one hand I think owning a gigantic collection for the sake of it is a bit dumb, on the other hand if they all get played enough to be worth it to someone, go nuts.

Arcane Tinman sleeves are designed for double sleeving with the clear tight fit and the dragon shield sleeves, I think.

The tallest hobbit in hobbiton

This is what I'd heard before, but I have relatives who are crazy about zombies and fringe into boardgames, so it seems like it would make a decent gift under those circumstances. (not , btw.)

Very expensive one tho

>How many games in this image do you own /bgg/?
Twilight Imperium 4, Forbidden Desert, Terra Mystica, Dead of Winter
If I had to add games that someone in my club, or the club itself, owns: Eclipse, Tash-Kalar, Sentinels of hte Multiverse, Puerto Rico, (that's what that orange box behind the cat is right?) Five Tribes, Betrayal, 7 Wonders, Smallworld, Heroes of Normandy
>How do you feel about expensive board games as a consumerist symbol?
People can buy whatever shit they want with their own money, but I only buy games I know I'll enjoy and actually get to play.
Well except for fucking TI4 which no one seems to want to play.

Sup Veeky Forums I need your advice.

I'm looking at buying some two player board games for me and the other half, for Christmas and for when we're bored. We've got a few that can technically be called two player games (Codenames Duet, Struggle for Catan, Ticket to Ride), but they're either boring after the first few games or just not that good.

Anyone have any recs for two player games I could have a look at?

7 Wonders Duel, Rapror, Lord of the Ring: Confrontation
On the heavier side: Lord of the Ring, Forbidden Stars, Twilight Struggle, I've heard great things about Warhammer: Shadespire
You could also buy full coops against game master like Descent, Imperial Assault, Conan or the like; one can be the game master and the other player can handle a team of heroes
I'd also suggest Zombicide but since you have trouble with games that are "not that good" you'd better pass on that

Imperial Settlers. Quantum. Dominion. All technically 2+ but Quantum is the only one that scales up well.
Also Twilight Struggle.

It's 55 on amazon right now, that's not too bad for a big box board game.

I've played Twilight Struggle before. It's pretty good, so I think I might go for it. Zombicide could be fun as well, but we're currently playing Pandemic Legacy one week and Gloomhaven the other, so I'm looking for ones that won't necessarily span multiple days.

If you liked TS, you might also want to check out 1960: Making of the President. It shares one creator with TS (and quite a bit of ideas), but has some significant differences - I prefer it to TS myself, but they're both great games and it's a shame that 1960 is that much less known

Which one would you recommend?

Wow friend, great pile of options there! Personally, I believe Blood Rage to be the pinnacle of modern board gaming. Designed by board game prodigy Eric M. Lang (patent pending) and produced by CMoN, Blood Rage is the ultimate in Viking-themed brutality. Hordes of high quality miniatures add the the incredibly immersive experience. Get some friends together and prepare to feel the Rage!

On that note, have you considered preordering Mr. Lang's next sure-to-be classic, Rising Sun? Rising Sun transports you and your friends to ancient Japan where you will use your wits and battle planning (plus some help from ancient Japanese gods) to conquer the region once and for all!

Inis.

Anyone know of some good games that can be played on a standard 8x8 chess board?
>inb4 checkers

>How many games in this image do you own /bgg/?

All of them since I took the picture. And 'Gracie' the cat is honored to terrorize the table tops of Veeky Forums once again.

Give me some ideas of games I should try to trade my Betrayal at House on the Hill for.

It will probably have to be in the $15-20 range to be successful

I agree that Eric Lang's™ Blood Rage™ is a fantastic game.

Seriously though get Inis or Mare Nostrum.

>two player board games for me and the other half

Personally I'd suggest Blokus on the light abstract strategy end of the spectrum, and Stronghold (2nd edition) on the heavier end of strategy gaming if the other half likes the idea of an abstract fantasy war game. (One side defends a castle while the other side tries to over-run it. Then players switch roles and see who can hold the castle the longest.)

There's also the 'pic related' suggestion list, but not all of them are 2 player so YMMV.

Citadels. I don't like the artwork on the lastest version personally, but you can easily find an older copy, or go with the new one if the art style doesn't bother you.

Hey uh... That's cool and all guy whos totally not Lang but what about bloodborne and secrets? Let's criticise Lang too!

What do you want to do senpai. These games aren't even like each other.

>tfw just because it has a bluff component and is way cheaper Battle for Rokugan is likely to be like, 20x better value than Rising Sun

Oh no! Make no mistake. That guy is totally butt-hurt whenever Lang's games are mentioned. I strongly suspect that a copy of 'Blood Rage' raped user's mother at knife point, and then ran over user's dog for added insult.

>Tfw neither of them are as good as just playing diplomacy
Lol

My main problem with Blood Rage is after 6 games I kind of know everything about the game. I know all the strategies and cards. And it's so bad at 2 player - it shouldn't even be advertised as being playable at 2.

You compare to say, Kemet where there is so much choice in upgraded abilities and I can't get behind BR again.

I have zero issue with you pointing out what you just did right here! That's extremely helpful for someone looking to make an informed choice about whether or not they might enjoy Blood Rage. But the vague sarcastic 'mock Lang Fan-boi' posts like don't do much educate the user's you're trying to reach.

It's just a thread meme bro.

How do I win at munchkins?

And like the 'BackToReddit' meme poster, it comes off badly. I can hardly wait for the 'Boko no Pico' memes to make a come back! Perhaps we can bring back plaid Leisure suits next?

>How do I win at munchkin?

Pic related...

Eric, easy on the defensiveness.

>why isnt Veeky Forums a safe space
I DONT LIKE WHEN PPL ARE MEAN TO EACH OTHER REEEEEEEEE

Not that guy and actually the user arguing with that guy, but there's a huge difference between not being a safe space and zero sincerity shitposting to actively stop discussion.

Like I don't know if all you other niggas have played Blood Rage or not when you shit on it. I assume so. I don't think we really need to explain why it is disliked. But he's right in that Eric Lang fakeposting (which I still think is funny) doesn't inform anyone who doesn't know anything about Blood Rage. I think that's fine, but your post is just being a little shit about it.

>i think memes are a bad way to communicate
>i spend time on Veeky Forums
you are an extraordinarily hypocritical cunt, arent ya? and youre ignoring the fact that langposting makes it very clear that the game is despised. it makes it clear that the game is made by someone who doesnt have a quality game design history and produced by a company that is not well respected. sorry youre too busy turning your nose up at the website you spend time to realize any of that

Inis

Memes are a fine way to communicate but if you communicate in memes 24/7 you never get deeper content, and if you've never gotten or appreciated deeper content on Veeky Forums then you haven't had the experience of it I have. Especially on boards which have an actual interest/topic like Veeky Forums.

I know fucking nothing about why you are buying this so I would probably recommend Scythe, even though I think Scythe isn't very good.

If you want an actual rec give us context.

So you are now trying to imply that Blood Rage could potentially spark deep conversation? Have you yourself actually played the game?

Yep, one of my friends has it. Like I said I'm . That doesn't change that just saying it's shit doesn't tell you why it's shit, and that's a valid question for someone to ask.

What varnish do you use?

4. 5 if you count Ogre Pocket as Ogre and 6 if you count the app version of Terra Mystica I have

Mare Nostrum

Seriously, Mare Nostrum.

Probably Mare Nostrum

Certainly
>Inis
>Blood Rage
>Terraforming Mars
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck NO

Hive and x-wing. Armada would work too but I haven't played that one

Tak

Inis is good though. Are you the user who said it had Munchkin wincons?

Heart of Crown got released on Steam last week and it's alright. Biggest problem is the 90 second turn limit so in a 4 player game you're going to be waiting upwards of 2 minutes between every turn.

Inis >= Mare Nostrum > Terraforming Mars >>> Scythe > Blood Rage

A lot of anons like TM a good deal less than I do, or give Mare Nostrum the edge over Inis, but they're wrong. IMO though none of those five are truly godawful; the great sin of Blood Rage is that it's overproduced and shallow... in some ways I think it's less flawed than Scythe, but also has less going for it

Mare Nostrum >>> Scythe = Inis >>> TM > BR

You cannot compare these fucking games. What are your criteria?

This drives me fucking batshit. Inis is wildly different to Mare Nostrum, which is I guess comparable to Scythe but to no other game listed there.

What are you saying, beyond "I enjoy the games in this order"?

>"I enjoy the games in this order"

Exactly.

Do you find that helpful as a recommendation?

Often. I probably could have gone into more detail so user would know better whether my tastes were similar to his or not, but I frankly didn't care enough.

>So how do you keep your games safe and in good condition /bgg/?

For FFG boxes, I kiss them goodbye. For card games, they get sleeved in mayday premiums no exceptions. If it's just a game with cards, they don't get sleeved. Euro-sleeve games get ignored because no one has them cheap and in bulk (so my Dominion set rarely gets played). Half of this is for the tactile feel and the other half is preservation. I get the logic that the game often doesn't cost enough to warrant sleeving, but some of my sleeved games are already out of print, so it's not like they can be replaced.

For player sheets that are just cardstock and not chipboard, they get laminated. It feels better anyway. We play on neoprene mats to reduce wear from the table. Recently, we took a cheap ikea rug and draped it over the table surface for a really nice wargaming mat.

Own:
>Xia
>Eminent Domain
>Terra Mystica
>TI3
>Splendor

As for consumerist symbols: I hate it. They serve the primary utility of enriching our lives and minds. It's supposed to be a way for people to think and have fun together, not conspicuous consumerism. If the game you buy for bragging rights doesn't even get played (every copy of Cthulhu Wars ever) then it's even worse.

Own:
>TI3
>Terra Mystica
>Puerto Rico
Kinda want Space Empires but it's far, far down my list of priorities.
I don't get what you mean about consumerist symbols, but as an aspect of conspicuous consumerism I hate it. Every game now needs to be overproduced now to catch any attention and it drives the price up. I admit to being a *bit* of the problem due owning several games which I plan on playing but haven't gotten around to yet, but these games are already opened, punched, bagged, and generally ready to go, whereas some assholes I see on BGG have like 200 unopened games up for sale or trade.
I own KD:M but I like building models and play the game every third day or so.

I've played each of these games. Let me give you the short of it:

>Blood Rage
OK at first but gets boring on repeated plays very quickly. Comes down to being overproduced for what a light game it is.

>Terraforming Mars
Gets boring halfway through the first game. Mars itself is worthless and the cards are entirely random, making your progress unskillful. It's a neat theme and has some redeeming qualities if you prefer engine builders but RFTG would be a better pick in all areas.

>Inis
Not a ton of player agency or actions to choose from. Art can be a miss for some people. Otherwise weirdly the black sheep of Matagot games.

>Mare Nostrum
Lives up to the hype as a solid game. It has the rare distinction of being a euro-wargame which is worth trying at least once. The dice feel weird in this game because of it, but it's understandable. Solid choice if you don't know what else to get.

>Scythe
Easily the best on this list. Despite being mildly overproduced, the price has come down to a reasonable level lately. There's almost no randomness in the game, but it also doesn't feel solvable since your actions are so small, which means everyone else can change the future of what you do bigtime. The downside is there's very little direct interaction unless Saxony is in the game. Great replay value as you try to optimize your action engine.

It's as tasteless and intrusive as Toddposting. And half as warranted. Let's just stick to games.

If someone's opinion can be changed by a meme, they're a shallow fool. It contains nothing of meaningful value and no reasons why it is the way it is. It's just an idea that caught on for any number of potentially useless or unrelated reasons. Try something called a "joke" when you want to make people laugh and an "opinion" when you want to communicate preferences to people.

Shit I missed one:
>Space Empires 4X

Probably missed others too. Wish we could find out what's on the far left.

Every thread Mare Nostrum gets so much praise.
I bought it over a year ago, played with different groups and at 4 and 5 players, about 6 sessions. And yet it's been a total dud everytime. I still love what I see, but it never seems to I've up to its promise. Where did I go wrong, /bgg

I recognize the old Doom, Empires of the Void, and an iteration of the Carc big box.

>Wish we could find out what's on the far left.

Top to bottom:

Theseus
Roll for the Galaxy
Rex
Ascending Empires
Gears of War
Empires of the Void (EotV II should be here in a matter of weeks!)
Exodus (2nd expansion should be here tomorrow!)
Carcassonne - Big Box 5
Citadels

Not Doom, GoW - but you've got a damn good eye none the less.

Add to my original

Own:
>Xia
>Eminent Domain
>Terra Mystica
>TI3
>Splendor
>Space Empires 4X
>Castles of Burgundy
>Exodus
>Roll for the Galaxy

Anything that can be sleeved, I sleeve. That's pretty much it. When I bring around my games, I just fit them in my backpack but first I put them each in an individual cloth bag. Also, when I first open my game, I cut the bottom part of the shrink wrap by slicing open 3 sides of it which leaves one side intact and turns the bottom portion of the shrink wrap into a flap. I then pull up the box top. This way the shrink wrap turns into a plastic cover for the box top.

pics or it didn't happen

what did you expect from it and what went wrong?

>condescending retarded snark
>3rd grade tier insults
>implying the other poster doesn't know what jokes and opinions are when in reality you just disagree with his opinion and missed the joke

I'm planning on buying Twilight Imperium 4th edition soon. Some quick questions.

-Which tutorial do you recommend to learn to play it? I really don't want to go in blind and miss some rules, while also diminishing the experience.

-How many people would you recommend for a first game?

-How many hours estimate to play it for the first time?

-Which type of people should I avoid playing with? I can't imagine having 1 or two people on the table that get bored 30 mins in and ruin it for the rest.

There's a channel called RTFM that did a great how to play.

Doesn't matter IF you can find people who want to play and enjoy the game, but at least 4 ideally.

A fuckload of hours for the first time, but see my point above.

Play with people who WANT TO PLAY. This is the easiest way to cut down on time and increase enjoyment if you're starting with newbs.

Sorry for plebbit spacing, I didn't feel like greentexting, pic related