New game session, GM wants us to create a backstory and hope and dreams for our character

>New game session, GM wants us to create a backstory and hope and dreams for our character.

>Why the fuck not, have written some generic tragic backstory and what he wants to become in the future (Healer)

>First few sessions start out good, companions are a fallen Paladin, an Unrepentant Thief, and a barbarous Barbarian.

>At first, I will admit we were nothing more than murder hobos. But after a while, we started to focus more on our character's development, and also to spite our GM for being a railroading bitch.

>I build my own clinic in the capital of some decadent empire for the destitute and returning war veterans.

>Fallen Paladin makes his own Order for those who wish to repent for their past crimes.

>Unrepetant Thief starts donating his stolen wealth to Families who are struggling.

>The barbarous Barbarian burden himself in trying to civilize his tribe as to mend their ways

>GM being the fucking shit GM that he is, decided to shit on us all.

>My clinic is burned down because of Evil Nobles LMAO.

>Fallen Paladins order has a bounty now and is being hunted down

>unrepetant thief wealth is taken from him by some noble for tax purposes.

>barbarous Barbarian tribe fell to civil war due to his bastard half-brother that he has never known before until know tries to contest his title.

>A few more sessions happen and end result: I'm now Dark Lord of an Empire.The Fallen Paladin order swears fealty to me, the unrepentant thief is my lord treasurer and barbarous Barbarian newly formed kingdom is my ally.

Also, post times your character's original hopes and dreams and where they ended up instead..

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

My character wanted to be a murder hobo but became a knight instead

>Character is normal human imbued with great sorcery by an evil goddess wanting to use him as her guardian
>Joins her cause to secretly help his friend who is opposing her with the rest of the heroes in one long con job involving theatrics and monster of the week encounters
>Finally find her weakness and join forces to beat her (gods in this setting are pseudo-immortal and with unlimited magic, but not all powerful or all knowing)
>GM has a shit eating grin, tells me I inherit her position
>Anything I do ends up twisted and evil in some way, helpless to do anything about it
>Next generation of heroes is coming for me, realize the previous goddess was in the same boat I am
The current campaign is now about a not-evil god desperately trying not to be evil as he tries to free himself of this shitty cursed portfolio while dodging heroes attempts on his life. The other PC's are his loyal Paladins and Clerics

>Dungeons and Dragons mage wants to be the smartest being in the universe
>Realizes this is impossible because he starts forgetting stuff, meaning past versions of himself were smarter than him, even though he now knows stuff he didn't know before (this was originally me out of character forgetting stuff I should've known and being a dumbass, but GM and the other players played around it very well)
>Revise goal to try and be the smartest being I can possibly be
>After viewing a cockfight while infiltrating a crime syndicate, wonder what it would be like to be a chicken in the ring battling another chicken
>Develop a more Socratic approach to obtaining knowledge, things get a lot more fun
>GM, being an awesome guy, lets me quest for a magic necklace that turns the wearer into a chicken
>Get the amulet
>Turn into chicken
>Win a bunch of cockfights and make my crew a ton of money while they use a combination of diplomacy and force to displace the current kingpins of back-alley cockfighting and take down the crime syndicate
>Final battle is on a bigass plantation full of the DnD equivalent of marijuana and chicken coops, we kill the BBEG (Scarface but as a Gnome, basically)
>Conquer it all, live like Thomas Jefferson with a shitload of slaves and weed

So, I went from a boring mage trying to learn everything to being the President of Cockfighting

what the fuck it sounds like you guys are playing 4 separate single player games, what is even the point of this horse shit?

I kind of feel like this. The thief giving away his wealth is generally fine because it doesn't detract from the plot and the barbarian can happen bit by bit, but setting up a static clinic or forming your own order kind of drives a wedge into the plot by forcing you to settle down. Hard to hunt down your enemies when you have a clinic or paladin order to manage, especially if your target is on the other side of the country or the planet.

Don't think much of it. I build the Clinic purely out of spite during one of the GM railroading escapades which separated us again for the fifth time. And the fallen Paladin build his order because he was fucking tired of being attacked by other "Righteous" People.

Honestly, I don't know why he shitted on the Thief and Barbarian.

why so much conflict? I mean presumably the GM spent some time on those things he's trying to railroad you into. Also the fact that he's doing it means he probably isn't the best at dealing with players who go totally off the rails. Why make it harder on each other?

>why so much conflict?
The Gm insisting on doing things his way.

>I mean presumably the GM spent some time on those things he's trying to railroad you into.
And that's great and all, but if he wants to implement them into the story, he should do it organically and not artificially.

>Also the fact that he's doing it means he probably isn't the best at dealing with players who go totally off the rails.
The problem with this is what we weren't off the rails before he started railroading us. Fuck it we even enjoy his first planned setups he did. It was fun and great first major arc.

>Why make it harder on each other?
For him to stop railroading.

So how did you guys progress into the evil empire?

Clarify

Reminds me of whismerhill.

OP post says that the party became evil overlords essentially. How did you get to that point?

I didn't. GM just calls me that because I overthrew the old emperor and replace nobility with merit.

Are you the "emperor in anarchist society" guy?

it still doesn't work like that

>I
No why

Anarcho-monarchism doesn't work.

Was it fun

Nothing wrong with being an emperor in a Anarchist society

Is it bad that we're playing a pretty high-ish level game with characters? Because boy, do I have a tragic character.

Sjoh Denbrak, disgraced General of the Brevish Expeditionary Forces.

>Enlisted at 16
>Rose to highest position at 34
>Ordered to raze an entire village of innocents during the Annexation of Driege
>Refused, and fought the Durnish soldiers sent to enforce their rules.
>Killed his 2nd in command during an attempted coup.
>Forced to serve twelve years in a penal brigade.
>Got out, and became a suicidal mess.
>Almost killed himself, got talked out of it.
>Settled down to raise a family.
>Family is butchered by Eldritch Titans.
>Now has suicidal tendancies, and a purpose.
>Best Friend is torn between Sun-Elf pussy and keeping his friend from an-hero.

Unfortunately, he died fighting Nlel, Necromancer of the Undercroft. He died with a sense of purpose, as he succumbed to the wounds left by the Ichor-Knight.

How unfortunate

I didn't know how "Punished" I should have made him, if in hindsight it was a bit cringey or laughable. I thought I would be better for him to channel his pain into motivation. I was kind of inspired by this paper about how medieval knights suffered from PTSD.

Wrong

Go on

I mean so long as you had fun

Went from a female hermit living all alone to being a female hermit having shotacon tendencies

Good doujin.

I know

No you

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton
I would imagine it's exactly like this.

But... That's pretty anti evil.
At worst chaotic

>a bad GM

A god among men

Is he not?

Lewd

I settled to be a farmer with 24 acres