/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
DMs what are some fo your favorite monsters or villian types to play?

Players what has your favorite class been so far? Tell us about the character.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VY9-pkb6TIs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Favourite monster
Any answer other than Bullywugs is wrong

What's a good feat for a necromancer wizard? I'm trying to maximize the spookiness factor.

>Spookiness factor
Stopped reading right there

>Stopped reading right there
yes, that was the end of the post.

Martial Adept.

Take Commander's Strike and Rally, and aid your animated skeletons.

GOOD point
Have you considered the War Caster feat to help with Vampiric Touch?

Inspiring Leader, give them temp hp (skeletons "can understand all languages it new in life")

The Fantasy Legion of Doom crosses paths with your party as they travel through a mountain pass. Does your current party make it out of the encounter alive?

I don't know who any of these people are but with an OoA paladin, Divination Wizard, Lore bard, Barbearian and a ranged Battlemaster I think we got this.

Good idea, then you can lead the charge of the wight brigade.

WIGHT POWER!

Knowing my DM? Just by the skin of our teeth. Probably one or two will die and have to be dragged to a city for revival.

I don't think they're anyone in particular. I think it's just supposed to be a band of "evil adventurers" consisting of:
>A Yuan-ti
>A Gnoll
>An Orc
>A Goblin
>An Illithid
>A Wight
>An Ogre
>An Oni and his pet Owlbear
>A Frost Giant
>A Troll

last group was lvl15 Forge Cleric, Undying Light Warlock, Fire Wizard, and our man-servant, the Ranger.
So unless that group is immune to fire damage, they are fucked. The ranger might do something too, maybe.

>Favourite type of monsters
Hags. Definitely hags.
They are great reoccurring antagonists and most of all they are unsettling if not scary as fuck.

If you could not guarantee being in a party with any heals whatsoever at all as a Kensei Monk, would you rather have Blade Mastery (using longswords) for the +1 AC reaction, or Tough?

Lvl 17 party consisting of a homebrewed oath of Retribution paladin/hexblade, an Arcane trickster with divination wizard dip, Swasbuckler with fighter dip, A loremaster wizard, a Lore bard and a Champion fighter.
And also their flying giant castle with magical defenses and four high level allies. They also have at least one artifact each and more magic items that they know what to do with so I think they can handle pretty much anything other than straight up fighting gods.

I'm trying to create a chain of deals for my players. Something along the lines of the players need X from NPC A, but NPC A will only trade X for Y, so the players go to NPC B who has Y, but they'll only trade it for Z, so then the party has to get Z from NPC C, etc. I want the chain to be pretty long and end with them needing to take down a pretty high level encounter before they can do anything else. Does anyone here have any ideas for what I could use?

I'm guessing monks and barbarians don't stack the AC bonus of CON and WIS, do they?
That would be too overpowered... Right ?

As with all AC calculations, you only use whichever gives you the highest number.

Actor, so you can ham it up more.

I legit can't think of a single instance where no ham would be better than ham.

>Players what has your favorite class been so far? Tell us about the character.

I guess Wizard out of either Rogue or Wizard. My Wizard is a Dwarven Necromancer who's whole thing is that she believes creating undead constructs is on par with creating weapons like the great Dwarven smith's.

But how do you make great skeletons? What will your magnum opus be?

Sharing again for other DMs who want 1 page Pugilist 2 NPCs.

also compiling a list of 1000 trinkets, taking the dumb shit out is taking longer than I thought

>a single wood sprite tear in a vile from a time when Milo the Magnificent seduced her but then said "I only date traps baby"

so it's a fucking drop in a glass you can make whatever dumb shit up about it you want

How are the new xanathar barbarian sub classes.

with the exception of storm herald, they are pretty good.

Any creative use of sorcery points for Cleric spells?

Okay, was thinking of going ancestral guardian for my barbarian in a tomb of annihilation campaign.

>creative use
>sorcery points
pick one.

What do you guys think of the Minotaur races from UA? The Krynn version is neat, but the horn stuff feels too convoluted. The MtG version is almost identical to Orc, which I dislike.

Well in that case then yeah, they're fucked.

Is there a trove that contains any of the Frog God Games stuff?

If it weren't for the fact that that character is part of a big guild with multiple DM's and players I would say that the magnum opus would be to create the "perfect" flesh golem.

Why does one preclude the other?

Because they have an "official" loot list and the Manual of Golems isn't on any of the tiers.

Not sure how that all works but since you are in that guild do you change the skeletal structure of your animate dead creatures or anything like that? What makes one skeleton you summon different from the last?

What do you guys think of CJ?
youtube.com/watch?v=VY9-pkb6TIs

Also xanathar has a golem spell now.

I think you can stop posting in every thread CJ.

Liches. Both undead and magic users as the bad guys are cliche as fuck and I don't care. Evil magic skeleton man has always been my favorite.

So since Cloud of Daggers requires a M component, if I'm grabbing someone with one free hand while having a shield in the other, and since Warcaster only allows not using Somatic components but doesn't say anything about Material components, that means I'd have to let go of the grapple to cast it on the target right?

I haven't animated any skeletons yet but I do have currently two zombies. One is just RP fluff as a butler and the other was one I had to spend time sneaking into the city and then have to spend time and effort to bring in and out of the city for games that pop up. So you know get rid of the smell, dress 'em up, keep them together as much as possible.

You mean create Homunculus? I mean, I guess, but if I wanted something like that I would just take Find Familiar. Though it does fit more thematically.

That's how I read it, too.

Bullywog, I guess. Unless you made this post just to fight.

First time I laughed out loud on Veeky Forums.

I didn’t know trolls were that big

My players, party of 5 currently level 8, have about 13 magic items right now, not counting potions.

Is that excessive?

Ancestral Guardian is quite good. On one hand, its "tank" effect only applies on the first target you hit (unlike the Cavalier's, which marks every person he hits), but it's significantly stronger.

Most encounters consist of one Big Guy and a group of underlings to prevent said Big Guy from being overwhelmed by action economy, so you can very easily nullify a significant fraction of enemy damage output by marking just one enemy and giving your allies resistance to his/her attacks.

A little bit. Not much more than one other group I have. What matters is if these are gamebending magic items or what.

Nothing crazy.

A couple of +1 weapons, one of which is cursed, a rod of the pact keeper, gauntlets of ogre power, and a wand of wonder are the only particularly powerful items.

What is your favorite campaign setting for 5e?

also is there any guidelines for creating your own?

Favorite monster is a Banshee, even people well over it's level have good reason to try and talk things out with one rather then fight it. Cause even if they win there's a chance it's wail will be able to kill people in one round.

Favorite class is Enchanter Wizard. Played him as an ex-soldier battlemage with PTSD out the ass. Towards the end of the campaign when he got the very high level Enchantment spells he started to hate violence and nearly always only use them to stop people. Mass Suggestion to make people sit in place and cry at the pointlessness of their fight for 30 days was always entertaining.

Anyone tried the Arcane Trickster? Looks like a fun class to me.

Reposting the Homebrew Guide for people who need help making homebrew, and for those who want better ways to critique homebrew.

You have to be over 18 to post here

?

Planescape

How do you kill a Moon Druid?

Disintegrate

What kind of familiar would a pact of the chain Hexblade Warlock have?

Find Familiar gives you access to each familiar every time you cast it you don't just have to have ONE.

Focus it down and

My DM is looking for an item or a spell that gives disadvantage on Charisma saves. You guys have anything? Bestow Curse gives a save first, Eldritch strike is a hit first, Heighten Spell requires resource management. I think he might be looking for examples to base a homebrew item off of, so the Charisma part is maybe not integral. Tanks.

Use silver weapon because they are shapeshifter.

What kind of threats would there be in a dungeon where the hero and villain did battle ten thousand years ago?
The villain might still be present as if chained by the Imprisonment spell.

Hex.

That's ability checks, not saves.

How about living spells?

A rusty sentient weapon that after a few centuries of abandonment within the dungeon has gone mad and conspires against any mortals it comes across, possessing monsters and using them like chess pieces. It also has ancient but powerful knowledge and magic within it, to use and exploit.
The weapon no longer remembers if it was the tool of the hero or the villain.

The abandoned legions of undead that stroll around feral and aimless from the villains "disbanded" army.

Magical radiation that have come to live as arcane elementals and bizarre traps or puzzling scenarios.

The party elf that was locked inside a solid steel wardrobe with an ioun stone of sustenance.

Arcane Tricksters can also ambush with spells and cause the saves to have disadvantage.
Bestow Curse is really the simplest
option.
Elaborate

What are some ways to imbue a normal weapon with magic, as to deal magic damage? I know Elemental Weapon is one way. Not interested in buying a magic item.

Living spells are sort of like oozes, but they're, er, living spells. Like, a living fireball is a rolling, burning mass. Anyone who touches it (whether because they attack it or because the living spell "attacks" on its turn) suffers the effects of the spell. They come into being when magic is disrupted heavily.

Good choices are fireball and cloudkill, but you can pretty much do whatever.

Like Magic Weapon?

Right! Got anything else?

Best eldritch blast build?

Absorb Element gives you a temporary elemental boost.
SCAG blade cantrips are kinda that.
A whole bunch of paladin 'X Smite' spells are that as well.

u

Twinned Guiding Bolt is nice.

Those are elemental damage, though, so not exactly magical, right? I'm looking for something that makes a nonmagical weapon deal magical damage, like Elemental Weapon and Magic Weapon, or Devotion Paladin's Channel Divinity. It doesn't have to be a spell. Could be an ability or a consumable, for example.

Oh, I just suck at reading today then.
Consider taking Oil of Sharpness (DMG, p.184) as the base and scaling it down (it's a Very Rare consumable giving a +3 magical bonus for 1 hour).
There's also Blessing of the Forge - Forge Cleric ability.

Those are useful information. Thanks!

>a living Contact Other Plane has been wrecking havoc in a small city
>every day, some are driven mad, and some are given answers to questions that should never be asked...
Thanks for the plot hook, m8.

It is only a matter of time before a lich finds a living Etherealness and tosses his phylactery into it.

Shillelagh spell, also the monk class feature and the subclass Kensai treat unarmed strikes and specific weapons as magical.

Those are both cool ideas!

How would you rank the wizard arcane traditions, 5eg?

>god tier
UA lore
>shit tier
everything else

What is the quickest way to get armor on my Wizard?

I prefer not to multiclass, but I figure that a level in fighter is the best route?

Top tier:
Abjuration
Divination
Enchantment
Lore
War

Middle tier:
Illusion
Evocation
Transmutation
Bladesinger

Bottom tier:
Necromancy
Conjuration

Technically they aren't "shapeshifters", according to Sage Advice. Otherwise, Moonbeam would ironically be pretty good against them.

Or cleric

I had this sort of idea for a party that had to go into a powerful spellcaster's spellbook, as a sort of demiplane inhabited by caged living spells.

Either be a dwarf or take 1 level of fighter before going Wizard.

All around useful:
Divination
Enchantment

Good at something specific:
Necromancer (Skeleton army)
Abjuration (Ward abuse esp. through warlock multiclass and anti-magic)
Evocation (Blast shit)

Flavourful but all that great unless you can flavour your way through encounters:
Illusion
Conjuration
Transmutation

Fuck off, this is not a wizard tier use the damn PHB instead:
Lore
War
Bladesinger

Are Kelemvor and the Raven Queen from the same setting? Why in the fuck is everyone playing a ____ of the Raven Queen now? I mean I know the appeal of the 'LN God of Death' shtick, one of my favorite characters I ever played was a Doomguard, way back when. But it seems like EVERYONE wants to be a fucking Raven Queen Followers now, just this last Sunday in my "Session 0" for my new group, I had three people want to be followers of the Raven Queen (Paladin, Cleric, and Warlock).

Is Kelemvor still around? Or is the Raven Queen from some other setting that everyone loves now?

Tiny Servants made of armor, holding armor against you.

Level of cleric.
Instant jump to heavy armour + shields and you still have just as many spell slots as before. You can also forge cleric for a total of 21 AC.
However, if you do this, you are a massive faggot, fuck you.

Your alternatives are V.human for lightly armoured and then level 4 get moderately armoured for medium armour + shields and a total of +2 dex between the two feats, or being a dwarf for medium armour but no shields.

You can also, you know, just cast fucking mage armour on yourself.

>You can also, you know, just cast fucking mage armour on yourself.
I didn't come here for you goddamn backsass, just give me the plate armor and be on your way.

This fuckin guy.