So is there any hobby that's more aspirational that P&P roleplaying?

So is there any hobby that's more aspirational that P&P roleplaying?

And how should we address a thing where the most universal constant is almost assuredly its end - either suddenly, or as a slow petering out as players and GMs lose interest, often far removed from the stated end of the game?

Ditch the idea that a campaign needs to last years and follow a big plot about saving the world from a godlike threat, and have smaller episodic stories instead.

>pic
I recognize that point of view, but fuck if I could actually remember what Telvanni city that is...

tfw you will never be a care free kid playing morrowind for the first time again

Yup. Twelves to fifteen session campaigns are awesome and are probably the best way to approach the hobby in general. In the right hands (i.e. the right group), it makes the entire experience a much more interpersonal one, turning it into a game about achieving one's short term goals and/or taking your first and often grand step toward even greater achievements.

Like Bilbo or Frodo, many adventurers only have the one truly great adventure. By compartmentalizing a campaign in this manner, it allows you to tells stories similar to their own without leaving out the career adventurer, like Gandalf or Aragorn.

Additionally, such arrangements make for an easy way to instate a revolving policy regarding GMing, allowing each person or those willing to take their turn at it after what is a relatively short campaign.

this. this really needs to be said more often

Tel Vos i think? its not sadrith mora. maybe tel ahrun... fuck.

>tfw experiencing Morrowind for the first time right now
You know, folk told me going pure mage without a single weapon skill would fuck me over bad but so far I haven't had a single problem with it

Do you have a magicka regeneration mod installed? It's not absolutely needed, of course, since you can just rest to regain your magicka, like a lot of CRPGs, but it certainly makes being a mage a little more enjoyable overall.

The fuck? I didn't know this was a big problem. How common are those save the world - fight the gods etc type of rpgs? I have never encountered them in my 15 years olf playing.

Maybe its a 1st world thing? I'm a 3rd worlder so there's that

Nope, trying to keep my first playthrough as vanilla as possible (though I did install real signposts since they make finding your way around so much easier), I usually just rest after I kill a few enemies; brotherhood assassins are pretty much free loot.

It's just how a lot of people approach D&D and the like, is all. They basically want to emulate the 'grander' stories they've read in books or seen in movies, because they think that's the only way to make their own stories matter.

However, this often only leads to boring, shitty campaigns with no real sense of direction or aim. Which is entirely unsurprising, of course, since most DMs aren't prolific storytellers, much less writers that can actually think through those types of scenarios with a modicum of disposition.

Magicka is so much more powerful in Morrowind than in Oblivion or Skyrim, it's great. Levitate is some seriously great fun, too bad you can only walk when you levitate

Just from the dozen or so hours I've played so far it honestly feels like they designed the game around magic and realized in only the last minute that they forgot to add melee combat.
Setting a mark in Balmora's mages guild basically gives you pseudo-fast travel, levitate is almost required for good exploration, you can lockpick with spells, can charm characters so you don't need personality or speech craft, you basically can do everything as a mage.

Everything that has a beginning, has an end.

A fuckload of them, you moron. Along with trades, jobs and alike.

>And how should we address a thing where the most universal constant is almost assuredly its end - either suddenly, or as a slow petering out as players and GMs lose interest, often far removed from the stated end of the game?
There's nothing to address.

Gotta pick you those Boots of Blinding Speed, Outlander.

It's a common thing for newer groups since most of them are using what they know of fantasy from books, vidya, and movies as their basis. Usually on the second time through once they've realized the logistics of running sessions and how the system works they'll aim for smaller campaigns.

I want that smug Dunmer to step on my head, forcing my face into the ash as she slowly jerks me off and calls me a filthy n'wah

>be the rpg equvalent of a party slut
Nah. I run big long campaigns and shorter campaigns alike. I enjoy both but if there's one sure sign of a normonigger who isn't fit for RPGs, it's someone who wants to have short ass campaigns that barely last for fuck, and end just as you are getting into them. It's fine for a side campaign, but all the good campaigns are 2 to 3 year affairs. Those who disagree are people who dont get to play those campaigns because they are too busy with their normalfucks pursuits to actually engage in the hobby and the fulfillment it offers. Your ten session railroaded Edgelords of the Empire game with fancy dice you bought on kickstarter, is utter goddamn trash. I cannot understand how the fuck someone would be satisfied with that. But of course these are the same people who "plan plots" for their RPG campaigns like utter fucking retards. Because they lack the creative to make a real, organic story.

>this! This so much!
There is no clearer sign of an idiot nigger who doesn't have anything to say, than "this." Neck yourself.

>However, this often only leads to boring, shitty campaigns with no real sense of direction or aim.
Source on this please.
>most DMs aren't prolific storytellers
Yeah, most DMs are shit. That's part of why "rotating GM" groups are fucking retarded. We don't all take turns being doctors and police officers, dickfuck. We do our jobs and do them well because we focus on them. Also:
>a campaign NEEDS a central storyline and has to constantly be "going somewhere" to satisfy my smartphone- addled millenial brain, just like my wife NEEDS a big black clock on Saturday nights
Nah fuck off retard.

You're bad at this.

>So is there any hobby that's more aspirational that P&P roleplaying?
Yeah, actually making something out of your life instead of retreating into escapism. Go climb Mount Everest, go forge an actual blade, go get the girl for real instead of playing pretend with a bunch of fellow failures.