Yfw Netflix makes a shadowrun look-a-like movie

>yfw Netflix makes a shadowrun look-a-like movie

Don't believe me? Watch the trailer!
youtube.com/watch?v=MUY3GVByRUs

Is anyone excited? Full of meh? Not full of enough Shadowrun influences to be considered the closest thing we'll get to a Shadowrun movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

ruscumag.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/shadowrun-earthdawn-prehistory/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

While makes a fair point, I'll have a chat about it while the thread's here.

Bright looks fucking baller. It's not a true Shadowrun movie (no shamanism, no decking/rigging, no cyberware, no trolls [I think], etc) but it's pretty good looking anyway. I like the orc design, I like the idea of a magic wand being a wish-granting nuclear weapon, I like the implied amount of street sam'ing that looks to be taking place, and I like that it's on Netflix (ease of access). I'm planning on getting together with a few friends and having a "let's watch Shadowrun-esque stuff" night based on it.

I, for one, am /hype/

I’m interested in seeing how well Bad Boys II ends up crossing with Urban Fantasy, especially since for whatever reason my group has been clambering for something like this for me to GM for awhile now.

One of the things that really sets Bright apart from Shadowrun is that Bright takes place in a world that has always had Orcs and Elves and humans and other races and opposed to the Sixth World where metahumans have only been around for 60-80 years. Shadowrun's inter-species relations and racism are well documented in its lore and I'm really interested in seeing how those same relations as shown in Bright and where the differences and similarities lie.

I consider it something like pre-cyberpunk Shadowrun where the magic awakening has started but the actual cyberpunk aspect of Shadowrun isn't really known yet.

I, legend

Fresh Prince: Aw hells naw, chummer!

>Elf police chief
>magic everywhere

I didn't know this was a thing and yet I need it NOW.

The cyberpunk part of SR came BEFORE the magic returned actually, hence the setting largely using magic as a way to accent up an existing cyberpunk setting.
I’m not counting Earthdawn and the Fourth Age in this statement because of it’s sketchy canonicity since 4e despite the pretty big metaphysics gaps it leaves by removing it.

>”I think we might be in a prophecy.”
>”We are NOT in a prophecy. We are in a stolen Toyota Corolla!”
Okay, I gotta admit that got a chuckle out of me.

>Netflix
Fuck yourself, normie.

>Earthdawn
Wait, how so? What things does Earthdawn explain?

That is such a complex question to answer, but in brief; why certain dragons hate each other, why the Immortal Elves are all at each other’s throats, why the IE’s and GD’s mistrust each other, what the Horrors are and how they work, what the deal with Insect spirits is, why magic goes away and why it came back, why Cybermancy is a REALLY bad idea, why certain dragons can use blood magic and not be pure evil, as well as a strong probable explanation for the Black Lodge’s existence are all explained by Earthdawn lore if you look hard enough for these explanations.

>from the director of suicide squad

Is there a compilation of relevant info? Kinda want a spoon feed here cuz I wouldn't even know where to start with Earthdawn.

Suicide Squad was fucked over in post just like every DC movie

Even fucking frat cunt Zack Snyder does okay as a director when he doesn’t have executives breathing down his neck dictating every creative decision, just look at 300 (which isn’t great but is very entertaining in a dumb action movie kind of way)

Warner Bros, for whatever reason, has clamped down hard on creative liscense re DC superhero movies and it has done nothing but hurt them in the long run (the starts of this could be seen in The Dark Knight Rises)

>shadowrun.

DID NOBODY PLAY URBAN ARCANA?

But we already have this movie.

Nope, but I might if it's ___fun___

No, sorry.
The Earthdawn-SR connection runs way deep in early lore all the way up to 3e and very obliquely referenced at here and there in 4e and rummaging through it is pretty hard.

To call d20 Modern trash is an insult to trash. Nobody played UA because it was a garbage setting for a system so far below garbage I struggle to find an appropriate descriptor.

>We are in a stolen Toyota Corolla!”
Bogan af.

>suicide squad
>fury
I hope you guys are ready for a shitty movie.
doesn't mean it won't be fun

Hey, it was a cool setting in a damaged system.

If you don't think getting in hot rod battles against a demonic possessed car while fighting off Spider riding Gangster Drows with an smg isn't fucking awesome then you need to re-evaluate your life.

The untold story of the first ORK policeman at LONE STAR

in fairness Shadowrun was 80's while UA was 90's.

I remember Veeky Forums used to talk up a shitstorm about Urban Fantasy as a setting, but it mostly just devolved into waifu baiting (dating advice, lamia marriage, etc.).

Kinda miss it though since Shadowrun people are more concerned about corporations, tech, and min-maxing

I-I liked Fury

Can Max Landis fuck off already?

Well we are never going to get a Shadowrun movie because of how raciest it is. This really is the best you can hope for.

>not liking fury

...you know, until I actually read the post you were quoting, I was assuming you were talking about Unkown Armies and everything in your post still made sense.

Who do you think you are impressing user? Or are you just sperging for the sake of it?

Wait, Shadowrun is racist?

Sure it is. Orcs and trolls and disliked, vampires are feared, and elves are freaky. It's blatantly racist.

>Fury was bad
Ok.

No, he said raciest. Pay attention. Also, it's blatant bait.

But that's just stereotype, and you can't say Holloywood doesn't like "man fight his stereotype".

>has all the gay things about shadowrun
>has none of the cool things about shadowrun
Why the fuck would i watch this over blade runner or even Johnny mnemonic

>this blatant shilling

>thing i dont like being talked about?
>shill!!!1!!!

Chronicle was good, though?

>DID NOBODY PLAY URBAN ARCANA?

>DID NOBODY PLAY I-CAN'T-BELIEVE-IT'S-NOT-SHADOWRUN

Yes. But since Shadowrun came first, techno magic is like Shadowrun, not Like-Game-That-Is-Like-Shadowrun.

If you're capable of deriving any entertainment from Johnny Mnemonic, you might as well never watch anything else, because you'll be entertained by anything.

>(the starts of this could be seen in The Dark Knight Rises)
explain?

t.anons who've never been to /tv/

Man, what?

It was a bad movie, but it wasn't a boring one. It was full of weird as fuck concepts that were entertaining by their presence, and its ineptitude got to the point it's easy to laugh at it.

'So bad its good' is a phrase for a reason. There are plenty of dull, just boring bad movies out there, but Johnny Mnemonic isn't one of them.

So I understand the orc, but why is he teamed up with a burn victim?

>stuck with partner nobody wants
Poor orc

At this point we're late enough in the game that I assume you're actually a libtard pretending to be a /pol/tard.

>burn victim
You don't turn black from being in a fire
Well you do but not if you survive
You know

The implication is that Woll Smoth is the orc and the orc is burn victim.

The joke isn't funny if you have to explain it.

God forbid anyone go on that shitheap of a board

You aren't funny if you need explanation for the joke.

God modernism was so, so much better than post-modernism.

>The cyberpunk part of SR came BEFORE the magic returned actually
Didn't the awakening happen in 2012?
IIRC the massive technological developments like the matrix and cyberware didn't really come about until later.
the only major timeline deviation before 2012 was the beginning of megacorps.

It seemed alright from when I read the leaked script, although it seems like a couple things have changed. The girl with the wand was supposed to be a little girl but she seems to be some sort of older teenager now, I don't remember the Shrek line being in the script but from what I recall Will Smith is supposed to be the only cop on the force that doesn't hate orcs.

I only played the Shadowrun CRPG but
>"Some say orcs and trolls are less intelligent but this is only a stereotype with no evidence"
>game stats objectively cap goblinoid races below human and elves
Gets me every time

If there isn't a sexy Orc girl in this movie I'm going to stage a one-man riot.

/tv/ is a steaming pile of shit, so we're good

Being fair, every board on this site is a steaming pile of shit. It's just a matter of how large, how bad it stinks and how many flies there are.

ruscumag.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/shadowrun-earthdawn-prehistory/

Best I could user. Enjoy your reading.

Anyone given Shadowrun: Anarchy a try? I love SR's setting but the book keeping can be a bit much...

What the fuck is up with that troll's arm

>Shadowrun look-a-like
>No cyberpunk
>It's modern-day
Oh well, i'll take it anyway

Haven't you heard, omae? The future is now.

Bitch, it ain't cyberpunk until I can hack someone's computer and make their heads explode literally.

>looks pretty cool imo
>critics are shitting on it left and right
well, I kinda have to watch it now just to see if it's really THAT bad

Fluff is written in-character, stats arent.

Then I guess it's a good thing modern times are pretty cyberpunk already

if you hate the crunch in Shadowrun, SR Anarchy will satisfy you

From what I can tell, I've always assumed that was because Goblinoids just age plain faster, and don't have the same timeframes to retain information like Humans, Dwarves, and Elves do. When all your friends are still worried about puberty and whether or not their peers will accept them, you're ripped and heads and shoulders over literally all your friends.

He doesn’t, but he’s still wary.

>TFW this will be successful
>TFW Orcs being niggers is now successfully memed into reality thanks to shit threads
>TFW this will poison the future work of all depictions of greenskins in up and coming fantasy from now on

>t. Former Blockbuster employee

Excellent, it is complete

>modern day
>not cyberpunk

I'm hoping for a success just to make it theoretically possible that we might get some actual shadowrun media in the next decade. I'd make a live action series where each season follows a different team, with high casualty rates and betrayal a rare, but deadly threat.

>check reviews
>WHY DOESN'T IT SPEND ITS ENTIRE RUNTIME CHEWING OVER REAL LIFE MINORITY-POLICE RELATIONSHIPS REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Not in line for any oscars then.

In the script they’re more like fantasy Latinos.

This, people REEEing over what seems like a fundamental lack of understanding for an Urban Fantasy setting. Next thing you know, they'll get triggered by D&D books that show elves get bonus int, and orcs negative bonuses to int.

Imagine having such a lame and unfulfilling life that this is what you spend your free time complaining about.

You guys seem like you might like hacksaw ridge, if you like hollywood action movies with ww2 things in them.
The fantasy setting of this movie is going to afford this director a lot of leeway for contrivances

Dude, just go to a hardware store and grab an axe. It takes some effort to get used to the weight and aim properly, but you can do it.

>Dragons are just wizards who transferred their souls into magically modified dinosaur clones

Damn it. I thought they were aliens who got fucked by the horrors and fled to Earth.

Most critics don't "get" movies and shows like this. They want mass-market stuff that has a lot of forced drama or tension that appeals to average schmos. They liked LOTR because it was straightforward. Same with GOT. Something like Bright doesn't push the buttons they expect so they deride it as crap. I mean maybe it'll BE crap, but based on the concept alone it's not trying to win awards, it's trying to be fun.

I have to admit I don't care much for most of the soundtrack though.

Given the director I'm leaning on it just being bad and nonsensical in a way that breaks immersion.

>negative bonuses
Penalties. Orcs get penalties to INT.

Well, I mean I pay my monthy fee for Netflix either way, so it's going to be there and cost me nothing beyond what I already pay so at the very least I can riff it for a few hours on a shitty day when I have nothing to do. Which is almost every day these days unfortunately.

>Fear of burning
Weak shit

I have been hyped for this movie for a few months already but reviews say its pretty shit.

but then again, I've legitimately enjoyed The Last Witch Hunter, so I guess I should disregard them

There's like three Bright music videos on netflix. They're pretty much all trash. But in one you get a decent amount of world building, the implication is that Orcs have been super militaristic throughout history and currently the Elves are puppeting the humans to keep orcs down socially and economically.

Which in of itself is actually more interesting then the politics of Shadowrun.

I'm really fucking hoping for an offhanded mention of a dragon president or something though, that would be amazing.

I'm not sure Bright actually pulls from Shadowrun since I don't think Trolls or Dwarves make a showing in it. Honestly it's probably more inspired by The Gate than Shadowrun.

But yeah, a Dunk reference would be pretty funny.

As someone who played a lot of d20 Modern, d20 Modern was the worst part of that setting. If any other system was running what was in that book, it would've been better than a system where the feats are made up and the Massive Damage Checks don't matter.

The setting was alright, though. It made for fun monster mashes.

I've mostly seen Trump voters getting angry because Will Smith insulted them or something idfc I haven't looked it up I've just been laughing at the butthurt.

>sucker punch
Zack Snyder has never made a well directed movie.

Sucker Punch shorts were of better quality than the movie itself