A setting based entirely on free market capitalism

>A setting based entirely on free market capitalism
How would you do it?

Other urls found in this thread:

zdnet.com/article/anthropologist-confirms-apple-is-a-religion/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bioshock

Red Markets or what was it name

Are we talking "Adam Smiths wet dream" level of free market capitalism or "Recreational™Mc™Nukes™" tier Ancapism?

Closest i figure was when we did Gangbusters years ago and another where we did rpg sessions ala the Wire.

>Ideal free market capitalism:
Post-cyberpunk corporate meritocracy
>AnCap memes:
Commoragh

Skavendom

I don't know. I feel like I would be too biased to make that setting. In general I personally don't really trust corporations/principally profit-motivated people not to do fucked-up unethical stuff if they can get away with it well enough to make a profit, so I might make such a setting, one with zero regulations of any kind, unduly dystopian.

Fantasy setting
Role Playing Game

Your party is a crew of swindling snake oil salesman. You work for a pyramid scheming (((guild))) that owns your parties souls unless you sell enough goods.

The problem is all the goods are cursed, useless, cures to obscure poisoning, etc. So basically the DM guide is just a long list of strange or seemingly useless goods. Players have to come up with scenarios to sell the goods and get out of town before the jig is up.

>You own a shop the real adventurers come into
>You have a debt to pay
>Best start learning economics and raking in the dough or else you're all going to be left without homes or possessions
>Adventurers come into your shop? They have the most cash, maybe you want to exploit them for that, or sell the best stuff at a discount to get repeat business and let them tackle tougher dungeons
>Gradually the debts start coming harder and faster
>PC's forced to start making tough decisions about just how much that bread is worth to old Ms Marlborough down the road
>Slowly turn them into amoral profit-focused individuals

Do you really expect those NAP-ignoring mercs to stay loyal instead of pillaging your petty store for miserly gains?

If you kill the shopkeep and pillage the store the first time you come in, you get a handful of gold and a cheap iron sword. If you come into a store every week and sell the shopkeep all your orc iron axes and badger scrotums and bear assholes and then purchase potions with the proceeds, you will eventually be able to bargain the shopkeep into giving you that sweet +3 toxic beastbane sword at a discount. Then you'll be rolling in badger scrotums!

It's not sustainable. Someone charismatic or clever with certain ambitions or morals will establish some form of government, possibly by using violence, and then your true free market is no more.
If you have a government already in place to run a military to prevent that, but little else, then it will slip over time and gradually gain power until it can enforce mandatory taxes and regulations and there goes the true free market.

>ITT:

Running a business. Seems more fit for board games than an RPG unless you go the meme route with McDeathsquads and Comcast Recreational Nukes, in which case you are pretty much a conglomerate warlord organizing your special death squads and shit.

>deities become brands
>freely roaming the world is not a thing anymore, adventurers are basically tourists, all the treasure they find are souvernirs
>encounters are attractions
>paladins cease to be viable, the closest thing that exist are priest-attorneys
>rangers become glorified security guards
>druids become walking tourist attractions
>warlock patrons lose their business as lesser otherworldly interlopers offer safe power under the regulation of the invisble hand of the free market

The quality of life slowly grades as people sell their lives to massive, unregulated corporations for basic survival. So modern day America/cyberpunk

Degrades

Pretty sure this is a thing in Eclipse Phase

If I recall, there's both the hypercorp-controlled inner planets and the anarcho-capitalist commune floating around somewhere further out.

>deities become brands
Hahaha, that's a really funny joke you made there, user. The joke is that in the hypothetical game world you're describing brands have gained religious reverence in the eyes of the common people. This is utterly ridiculous because brands are merely a means by which companies distinguish their products from equivalent products designed by competing companies. The source of humor is how utterly bizarre this is, creating an absurdist sensation we can only describe as humor.

Alternatively it creates the dark, choking sensation that reality is far more bizarre than your greentext could ever be.
zdnet.com/article/anthropologist-confirms-apple-is-a-religion/

Are you sure he doesn't mean the other way around? Literal religions and gods becoming subject to banal investment rather than actual reverence. That seems to be more literally what the part you quoted means.

Funny enough i'm trying to work on a sci-fi/mecha setting based on a far future where private corporate space exploration is how we spread to the stars, with the principle worlds being company enclaves long since cut off from earth and gone to pot (YES I KNOW MECH WARRIOR DID THIS SHUT UP)

I've been racking my brain trying to come up with corporate lingo and other shit to pepper into their language. Like, instead of Kings, they have Executives (who has a Board instead of a council).

Isn't DND already ancap? Kill things/people, get their cash, destroy local economy with that, get the best shit and redo it again

Depends on how you define "free market capitalism" (because it's as open-ended as saying "true to Marx works"), since it can range from ancap memes, going through few different levels of corporate cyberpunk and even end with some egalitatian meritocratic utopia.
All entirely based on how you define those three words

Speaking of - *is* there a game that gives me a Recettear experience of going out into dungeons to gather materials to make shit to sell to other adventurers?

Closest I've found is Ryuutama and it's not so much a "shop" as a "caravan" experience. Which is fine, but I was wondering if there was something better.

No.

Just put commies and helicopters into the setting. The players will handle the rest

Star Wars

Players would get stars and privileges in exchange for cash with one player giving me more money in between sessions to hinder the others effectiveness of their money requiring them to spend more.