Beastfolk General Thread: Cultured Beastfolk Edition

Because beastfolk with actual cultures go all the way back to Basic D&D. Anyone else remember Rakasta, Shazak, Lupin, Phanaton, Hutaakans, Gayma, Gurrash, Enduks and Aranea?

Other urls found in this thread:

lomion.de/cmm/tari.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why is that thing holding it's kukris backwards?

Because it looks cool, dummy

nuh uh

So what if Beast folk had different cultures by decade?

Wolf-Folk have a fifties culture, Cats sixties, bears seventies, rabbits eighties, squirrels nineties, etc.

You mean they morph at the end of the current decade, or they coexist exemplifying each culture?

>conformist, anti-communist wolves all loyal to the firm and national traditions
>laid back weed smoking cats who protest the establishment and are trying to make a better world
>sensitive singer-songwriter bears who listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd on their van's 8-track while trying to get themselves together, man
>coked-up 80s business rabbits, constantly moving, trying to prey on the wolves' "outdated" corporate structure with shady takeover tricks

I'm drawing a blank for the squirrels, though. I don't know if they're a good fit for the 90s. Wolves are maaaybe a little ill fitted to the 50s, but the cats, bears, and rabbits are great picks.

They coexist.

High on sugar, listening to rap music, into XTREME sports.

In settings where they are not supposed to be goblin-style evil horde races, what is the best way to handle the fertility traditionally associated with ratfolk and rabbitfolk, anons?

naked mole-rat style where only one female in a group is fertile

she bloats up to 10x her size and becomes a horrifying, grotesque fleshsack full of gestating young

>not supposed to be goblin-style evil horde races

nothing inherently evil about distended mammalian broodqueens

Needs asshole birds.

So, random question; what beastfolk races can anons here remember seeing as PC options in D&D?

Also, when did playing beastfolk become something You Don't Do On Veeky Forums?

I saved a phoneposting screen with an arguably complete list.

What happened to all of the Ratfolk thread anons? I kind of figured they'd be migrating here now that it's hit its post limit.

2/2

Missing evil yakfolk from 3.x

looks pretty gay

Anons? Honest question time:

Is it more snowflakey to want to play a variant beastfolk (kangaroo ratfolk) or a chimeric beastfolk (phanaton) than to play a normal beastfolk like a gnoll, hutaakan, minotaur or ibixian?

Neither, as long as you work out the background and culture with the DM.
Showing up and saying "I wanna play a kitsune from generic weebland because samurai" makes you a faggot.
Showing up and saying "I wanna play X race and be the only one ever because magic/science/fate/etc." makes you slightly less of a faggot.
Showing up and saying "I'd like to play this race for the mechanical stats, can I drop the race in somewhere?" makes you less of a faggot than that.
Least faggoty is "I'd like to play this race, here is my character concept, let's work out where they live etc." is less faggoty still.
I consider the last two options to be less faggy than, for example, ignoring any setting details and attempting to drop a tolkien elf into the game.

Have them be a "nation" that generally keeps to themselves, only going to war or engaging with other nations to expand their territory and resources

Because its a pounce stance you moron

Mix in a little bit of Becoming a queen is a big, expensive step in life, and forever changes your place in society. There's plenty of females who just don't choose to take that step, preferring to work, travel, or fight.
If they're a constructed race (As in they were altered instead of occurring naturally, even by themselves) it's even easier to justify.
The queens would make a big tradeoff in mobility and activity, but in return they've got a lot of time to read up and tell stories and the like.
tl;dr: Motherhood is a big change with social status ramifications, so most of them don't do it, which keeps the numbers reasonable.

Unrelatedly, how often do you see something done with short lifespans? Currently playing a gnoll who knows he's gonna die of demonic baked-in killswitch before he's 45, so he's looking for the biggest way to go out with a bang. Luckily, the apocalypse is coming...

That's still not how you fucking use kukris. They're basically a hatchet that keeps going on the bottom.

Thanks for the pic, put em together for ya.

Sometime closely following the point when furries became so obnoxious that they poisoned the well for anyone ever to do anything that was even slightly similar.

Personally I've played enough kobolds, yuan-ti and dragonfolk that nobody who actually plays with me expects any different or is surprised by it at this point, though I do want to play some non reptilian beastfolk sometime if I can.

Problem being that kobolds are just so fun to play.

>posting the edit
Baka desu senpai

>mammals
>lizards
Time to expand the genepool in here.
First up: insects

>moth is best

>Skaven

That's WHFRPG, user, not D&D. GW's lawyers will be contacting you.

Tell me about your beastfolk characters Veeky Forums.

That list was improperly ordered, Skaven snuck in as a D&D race.

It's also missing some races, including Yakfolk, Scorpionfolk, Enduk (flying minotaurs), Armands (philosophical armadillo people), Ibixians (goatfolk) and Nycters (batfolk).

Not much to tell...

>tfw after watching Shadiversity's video on sneks, I can't take stereotypical snek art with curved blades seriously
Damn my autism! Also, why is it so hard to find pictures of snake people forming spear walls?

>gurrash
I want to be devoured whole by one.

Hes a fat alligator with the hots for the elf mage. She puts chocolate candies on his snout but will never let him smash.

He is a great cook and oftentimes turns defeated monsters into food.

>snake people forming spear walls

I never knew I needed that before. That sounds awesome!

The cool.lart is you'd have the snakes coil up, then suddenly spring forward as one, basically acting as a spring-loaded Pincushion

Lizardfolk by stats?

The House Pack of Unwolfish Activities is on to you!

Yes

I've been considering giving that a go, I love gator men. I hope the elf mage eventually comes around.

I know decree that all beastfolk be naked or wear crotchless armor at all times

>crotchless armor
>turning you monster cock into a weak point

Kangaroo Ratfolk Drunken Fist Monk who can be summed up as "Chun Li, if Chun Li were a hotheaded bad-tempered violent drunkard kangaroo rat-woman".

Rabbitfolk Fiend Pact Warlock themed as a huckster, complete with dandyish tailored suits and constant ruffling of cards, with card-themed motifs to their spells.

Traumatized kobold who, having seen her whole tribe devoured by a dragon they offered to serve, now seeks to hunt dragons, wrestling with a madness-born craving for dragon flesh in the process.

Crazy aranea paladin-warlock who wants to kill, eat and replace Lolth due to thinking of her as an unworthy goddess of spiders.

Good-hearted frat boy lupin swashbuckler who wants to fight evil and have a great time doing it.

Creepy but playful and well-intentioned heavily pierced gnoll psychic who seeks to defeat Yeenoghu and lead the gnolls away from evil.

Storm sorcerer sharkfolk, an ex-pirate whose crew was killed and his loot stolen by an even bigger nasty, forcing him to work with the rest of the party in pursuit of revenge.

What kind of culture would be a good choice for boarfolk?
I don't want them to be savages how they could be often seen in games.

Large but weak empire that focuses on agriculture and trade with the local kingdoms

Boars used to be big in Celtic imagery, it was the symbol of the warrior so Gaulish Boar people definitly work, down to big mohawks

Threadly reminder that even the most fetishy and sexualized furry beastfolk are better than even the most thought out and deliberately non-fetishy catgirl shit.

Celtic or Bronze age Chinese

I can't stand the 'monstergirl' style of races, looks like someone kitbashed two different action figures together.

Go full anthro or don't go at all.

All Veeky Forums cannot, user. Weebs should be purged from this board.

those are some happy kobolds

Me too user, me too.

People got things to do, user. That said, I was happy to learn the truth of how the whole "rat elves" thing got started. That gave me a giggle.

What's a good motif for lizardfolk? Aztec? Egyptian?

doesn't have Tari (rats) from ad&d

What are they? Can't find much information on Google.

>tits on a snake

doesn't appear to actually have breasts.

Just a kinda suggestive chest wrap that sorta suggests femininity without it actually being there.

lomion.de/cmm/tari.php
this place has all the Ad&d monsters

It's a list of playable beastfolk races. The tari have never been playable, to my knowledge.

Anons? What is wrong with presenting kitsune as mystical foxfolk who have a cultural affinity for the pursuit of enlightenment, thus dividing the "goodly" kitsune between the paths of the Monk and the traditions of the Wizard?

Likewise, what is wrong with depicting kitsune as having racial abilities based on their actual mythical abilities, as opposed to the traditional mechanics of literally just being humans who have the singular trick of turning into a fox?

Can't go wrong with aztec

Depends on what you're going for. I've always liked to do kobolds over lizardfolk, but I could see
>Pacific islander druidy dudes with sharktooth swords
>Peat-bog dwellers who practice necromancy and use their 'honored dead' for cheap labor, preserving them in wrappings and burying them for a while
>Older, decadent empire (not ancient, just older) with weird traditions and a hateboner for undead because PRAISE THE SUN, GIVER OF LIFE

The fact that they're kind of trickstery dicks in mythology and enlightenment was for everyone. You wanna do it in your setting, though, go the fuck ahead.

Separately, making racial abilities work in systems where your abilities are primarily class based makes them either hilariously underpowered or obnoxiously overpowered.
I much prefer them as smart foxes that can mimic being humanoids (not just humans, mix in that eberron changeling flavor) anyway.

I'm thinking about this too, they're all long dead though so it's more thinking about what kind of setting I want their ruins to look like.

>monstergirl pic
please go

>I can't stand the 'monstergirl' style of races, looks like someone kitbashed two different action figures together
I don't have a particular preference, but not going far enough in either direction is arguably the worst. Going full anthro while still giving your lizards tits is much more off-putting to me than the most waifu-bait "monstergirl".

Aztec and Egyptian are classic choices if a bit overdone. An Australian/aboriginal motif might feel a little more unique while still not being wildly different from tried and true tropes.

The fact that they're kind of trickstery dicks in mythology and enlightenment was for everyone. You wanna do it in your setting, though, go the fuck ahead.

Separately, making racial abilities work in systems where your abilities are primarily class based makes them either hilariously underpowered or obnoxiously overpowered.
I much prefer them as smart foxes that can mimic being humanoids (not just humans, mix in that eberron changeling flavor) anyway.

Try Romans mixed with Aztecs mixed with Shaolin Monks

>Though not work for children, a warrior can earn a good living hunting tari, earning about 8 ceramic pieces a head.

Would it be considered evil to hunt down and kill like vermin the members of an intelligent and neutral race?

Sorry, there's a dearth of actual classy or cultured stuff I had lying around.

It's dark sun, nobody cares.

It's nice to be able to actually find sfw beastfolk stuff instead of having to trawl through furry shit.

Purging monstergirlfags was the right decision.

Mine are all a rednecky culture and its pretty fun desu

Hope with the introduction of tortles, tabaxi and kenku we'll get more beastfolk races like Lupin

Yep. Hell, beastfolk were some of our earliest non-Tolkienian race; we got Lupins and Rakasta in Dragon #181, Hisao and Pooka and Wooddrakes in Tall Tales of the Wee Folk, Shazaks and Gurrash and Cayma in Dragon #185, Phantons in Dragon #188, Sphinxes and Harpies and Tabi in Top Ballista, Gnolls in Orcs of Thar, and Hutaakans and Malpheggi Lizardfolk in Hollow World.

I have a rule with beastfolk: they're only allowed to have breasts if they're mammal, half-mammal, or in some way related to a mammal.

This only came up because our group had a big discussion

>Dragonborn are usually half human, and are warm blooded. Breasts: yes (unless the setting says otherwise).
>Yuan-Ti are half human half snake, even yuan-ti abominations could have breasts even though there's no use for them.

>Kobolds directly come from a draconic bloodline, and are not related to mammals at all. Breasts: no.
>Lizardfolk are reptiles, so no breasts on them either.

I wholeheartedly support this approach. No matter how the author explains it just looks bad.

Take Elder Scrolls. Argonian females have breasts and it's not explained whatsoever. Some fan hypotheses I've read: venom glands, air pockets, or "evolutionary change to make them less repulsive to humans".

>Take Elder Scrolls. Argonian females have breasts and it's not explained whatsoever.

It's explained. The trees take the lizards that climb around them and use their sap to reshape them according to various templates they've stored in their memory. Apply the man/mer template strongly enough, and you get something like boobs on the females.
Because of how this works, Argonians come in all sorts of different shapes, but it's not tied to the moon cycles like with Khajiit, but rather depends on what niche the trees intend them to fill.
The deeper bits of lore mention there are even some with wings, which may or may not vestigial.