The best fantasy is written in the language of dreams. It is alive as dreams are alive...

>The best fantasy is written in the language of dreams. It is alive as dreams are alive, more real than real … for a moment at least … that long magic moment before we wake.

>Fantasy is silver and scarlet, indigo and azure, obsidian veined with gold and lapis lazuli. Reality is plywood and plastic, done up in mud brown and olive drab. Fantasy tastes of habaneros and honey, cinnamon and cloves, rare red meat and wines as sweet as summer. Reality is beans and tofu, and ashes at the end. Reality is the strip malls of Burbank, the smokestacks of Cleveland, a parking garage in Newark. Fantasy is the towers of Minas Tirith, the ancient stones of Gormenghast, the halls of Camelot. Fantasy flies on the wings of Icarus, reality on Southwest Airlines. Why do our dreams become so much smaller when they finally come true?

>We read fantasy to find the colors again, I think. To taste strong spices and hear the songs the sirens sang. There is something old and true in fantasy that speaks to something deep within us, to the child who dreamt that one day he would hunt the forests of the night, and feast beneath the hollow hills, and find a love to last forever somewhere south of Oz and north of Shangri-La.

>They can keep their heaven. When I die, I’d sooner go to Middle Earth.

Agree or disagree, Veeky Forums?

>This shit again
Can we at least catch a break during Christmas? Seriously, this is getting tiresome in really unpleasant way.

Oz is objectively better than Middle Earth.

Can someone post the pasta about how GRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMM writes like he does because he's fat

Well said, brother. Wait, YOU said that?!

What's the tax police in the Dreamlands?

>post the pasta about how GRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMM writes like he does because he's fat

I have never seen this but need to right now

This one?

But what about his tax policy?

Yet I found his written voice so godawfully stodgy and clumsy and unlovely.

well, of course it is. Girl's loving girls is a-okay in Oz.

Not that Wonderland isn't a fun place.

The Christmas season is worse than summer for post quality. There's fewer well adjusted people around and the bitter KVs take their loneliness out on our innocent Chinese cartoon board

That's a whole lot of nothing

I like this pasta

That's the one.

Anonymous delivers, thanks!

>GRRRRM going to Middle Earth
What would he do there? He can't even be a turnip farmer. Maybe if he had enough luck he could become a court jester for Denethor.

He would implement a progressive tax policy in Gondor.

>sunset found her squatting
>the more she drank
>the more she shat

>fat pink mast

>myrish swamp

>they call me darkstar, for I am of the night

Yeah, what a great author, I'm sure gonna take him seriously

>Le fat pink mast reddit meme

Hi r*ddit transplant

Never read a GRRM book before, but someone on Veeky Forums recommended Strata so I downloaded a copy and read it over the course of the next two evenings.

That's two evenings that I'll never get back. The book was shit, the characters were shit, the dialog was shit, and the "twist" ending left me checking the pdf file to make sure the real ending wasn't missing.

Fuck you, user who recommended this book to me. I knew I shouldn't have bothered with this fat fuck, but I didn't want to judge him before I experienced it myself.

>Pic Unrelated

This doesn't sound like anything GRRRRM said or even thought. I'd rather get a fantasy novel from Robert Heinlein. At least then I'd get a story packed with incest, can do attitudes, optimism, and hot redheads who put out.

Disagree. Our dreams usually becomes literally larger than we ever could have dreamt once they come true. The Orvilles may have predicted that flight would be everywhere 100 years after their deaths, but did they predict the mile high club? The engineers that built the first computers may have predicted that their work would become immensely important in the future, but did they predict Veeky Forums?

>but did they predict Veeky Forums?

Surely they would have turned off the machines

This. The writing in ASOIAF is ugly. And not in a good way - it's the ugliness of writing from someone who doesn't know how to write beautifully. It feels clotted and amateurish.

The man can assemble a baffling, dense plot, but he can't communicate his imagination with anything approaching admirable artistry.