His character can read despite not having a moneyed background

>his character can read despite not having a moneyed background

Other urls found in this thread:

www1.umassd.edu/ir/resources/laboreducation/literacy.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>his setting is full of dumb peasants because "muh realism"

Darnell for the last time this is a modern cop drama. Just because you can't read doesn't mean your character shouldn't be able to

But Jeff, my character is an informer from Detroit, where 47% of the population is functionally illiterate! I think I should be allowed to properly roleplay.

that's right boys, illiteracy is alive and well

You're are a fag if you think literacy and intelligence have anything to do with each other

not moneyed, but a high skill tradesman.

though he's better with numbers than letters. makes it easier to build better boats if everything measures up right.

What, he's a priest! Got to read dem scriptures.

One of the most fun I ever had was playing an illiterate and superstitious barbarian who would misunderstand just about everything.

>Party slays a giant spider
>must have been a spider god
>get a scribe to write a notice declaring I have killed the god of spiders as part of my hype
>guy sends me letters
>what the fuck are these squiggly lines? Must be witchcraft
>burn the fucking letter
>party gets magically transported to another plane
>FUCK, we must have died. This is hell
>Gotta fight harder to get gods attention so I can get out of hell
>run around attacking monsters, announcing my name and that I am now going to destroy them

Theres a point in which it fucking does, not reading prevents you from obtaining information

And dont try to meme the "intelligence is not knowledge" shit, if you dont know shit you are functionally a retard except worse because you have the choice to not be one

But my character *CAN* read, despite being the son of a farmer, because his people write with a simple runic alphabet.

He just can't read other, non-runic alphabets 'cus nobody taught him, and learning spoken languages was generally a better usage of his time.

>functional illiteracy = illiteracy

Well, at least we know your literacy level now.

>not having oral holy "text" passed from generation to generation
Enjoy your heresies and fanfiction

Let me guess their rebuttal.

>reading and writing skills are inadequate to read beyond a very basic level

I don't know man, that sounds pretty illiterate to me.

After the Scribes and Lettering Guild grew to rich the Crown mandated that everyone must be taught readings and writings to no less then of second year apprentice standard.
It didn't work at all as now it's the Scribes, Lettering, Schools and Stationary Guild and they are even richer then before.

At least the new libraries being built in all the towns and hamlets is bringing in many foreign scholars.

Sounds fun. Did they ever get annoyed?

I replaced monasteries and monks with universities and naturalists; stemming from the fall of the not!Roman empire which continued the not!Greek academia tradition.

Thus while the setting is in a middle migration period era a lot of poor boys have had classes where some journeyman naturalist came along, wrote letters and taught grammar with a stick in the ground for food and lodging and clothes and some coin before fucking off. Given that these people barely do jack shit between harvests and planting other than maintenance or lord's work, eventually over the course of from around age 8 to around 16 a peasant boy gets a rough, nearly ad-hoc education. It helps that the naturalists have a sort of conspiracy to keep the people educated as a way to eventually reach the height of the empire where they ate off the riches of a literate and stable polity.

Problemo-fuckin-solvedo

>Language barrier existing in sci-fi/cyberpunk future with abundance of wearable electronics

The irony is palpable.

I mean unless the setting has widespread access to education that includes learning to read and write than illiteracy being the norm makes sense. In 1500 the literacy rate in England was about 5%, in 1700 it was about 40%, and 29% for France, even as late as 1850 about a third of the English population were illiterate.
www1.umassd.edu/ir/resources/laboreducation/literacy.pdf

Could be Jewish. Is th character a wandering tinker, a moneylender or a shoemaker?

>his character can't read