/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General: you can't stop me edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
Look close enough, I will use it as my dragonborn character art.

Other urls found in this thread:

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B12MuesWM
sageadvice.eu/2016/09/18/can-a-battle-master-use-a-maneuver-every-attack-role-or-only-once-every-attack-action/
sageadvice.eu/2016/08/26/but-is-that-one-maneuver-per-attack-roll-or-per-attack-action/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fun is an optional rule

If you are a Medium creature that usually deals 1d12+5 damage with a weapon, what damage do you deal when you are enlarged to Large?
a) 1d12+5+d4
b) 2d12+5+d4

Fun thing are fun.

A couple threads ago someone posted an image with a short guide to creating a decent gish - spell choices, class combinations, and so on. Can someone repost it? Wanna figure out what to do with my hexblade.

a

>sea elves dont require extra-hydration

who makes these things?, mediocre

But don't Large creatures who are using matching size weapons deal double the weapon dice in damage?

Every optional rule in the book is only "optional" so that the devs don't have to balance around it when they don't want to. It's why they can't get flak for giving Fighters little to no in-class utility (you can just use the optional feat rule), or for making Warlocks a heavily front loaded class (multiclassing is optional, just don't use it).

I asked in the last thread ( ) but it was at the end of its life span so I'm posting this again just to see what I get:

Someone please help me not be a potato, and instead be useful.

Friends of mine have decided to switch their 5e game nights from physical to digital but they are unfamiliar with online interfaces, and I know very little that can help them. In looking for interfaces they found roll20 but due to cost concerns are also considering table top simulator (everyone has it) and rptools. So I would like to know what of these options, or others, are the best for running 5e and other rpgs more broadly, failing this the pros and cons of each would suffice. Also are there any supplemental things that are recommended to run along side the main game interface, as they have seen OrcPub and are wondering if such a thing is required (or at least if makes life easier). Finally is there anything that they should be made aware of in regard to internet games that may effect their choice of interface, how they structure their games, or just quality of life?

roll20

honestly I think I could get by with just skype

I get by with IRC.

>roll20
Sheets are digital, and relatively easy to use, some even automated. I play over roll20, and other than using 5etools, I don't use other resources.
>tabletopsim
The whole physical(virtual?) fiddling with dice and tokens and stuff is the main appeal, and the DM can create quite the scene with effort. However, the main con is immediately are the sheets. Either you're relying on a different resource, or even using in-game notes, it's going to be highly inefficient compared to the above.

just use a notebook. not everything has to be digital when you play digital

How do i have enemies sexually harrass the women of the party without making my players feel uncomfortable?

what rogue subclass fits the famously memed barbarogue?

debating between ancestral guardian and bear totem for the barb

16/14/16/8/10/10 Goliath

act it out

Guess what? Sexual harassment tends to be uncomfortable, otherwise it's just flirting.

The best way would probably be just in fight chatter to try and demoralize them. Dog whistling and other stuff can work as long as you make it clear it's the bad guys doing it and not you intentionally being an asshole.

Scout. Quick movement, wilderness survival options, good at ambushes. Jump out at people and beat the fuck out of them, then parkour after their friends and beat the fuck out of THEM.

Pact of the Seeker Boon:

>At 3rd level, a character dedicated to the Seeker can select this option instead of one of the warlock's existing Pact Boon options.

>The Seeker grants you a chain forged from starlight, decorated with seven gleaming motes of brightness. While the chain is on your person, you know the augury spell and can cast it as a ritual. The spell doesn't count against your number of spells known.

>Additionally, you can invoke the Seeker's power to gain advantage on an Intelligence check while you carry this item. Once you use this ability, you cannot use it again until you complete a short or long rest.

Does the seeker boon seem a bit...underwhelming? Like compared to the damage output of the blade, the familiar with the chain, or the extra cantrips with the tome, it seems almost uniformly worse.

How would you all buff/change up the boon to make it viable and interesting?

unless they are women, they really shouldn't be uncomfortable

otherwise keep it anime-style where the creeps pester them with pretty basic catcalling and then are like "hey ladies why don't you ditch these losers and hang out with us." Then when the PCs refuse you have the creeps just grab their arms and be insistent about it, then the PCs slap their shit or whatever

what year is this?

the wrong timeline

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B12MuesWM
Can I have some feedback on these spells? I know that I posted them before, I tried to take the feedback I was given. They are based on 3.5 spells so I am torn....I want these spells to be bad-ass and powerful because I like the ideas of them (at least Evasculate and Inkfire) so I don't want to have to dumb them down so they can be low-level spells. Especially because, for example, Avasculate is a 6th level spell in D&D 3.5 which is where I took it from. I feel like, since I am "converting" the spell, I want it to be nearly the same level. Admittedly this means it will be a while before they can learn it, but that's okay because I can see this campaign going for quite a while.

Also how do you feel about scrolls and learning spells from them, in 5e? I always liked the idea that wizards couldn't learn spells unless they found scrolls of them, so a lightning bolt scroll was actually really cool treasure. But I don't know if that is compatible with 5e. It would fit seamlessly into 3.5 (simply eliminate wizards being able to learn spells) but I'm not sure how to do it with sorcs since their magic is innate.

The Year of the Grotesquely Corpulent.

2166 when the manga finally ends and gets an american adaptation

In the source material he literally looks like 2016

Crucium's Hex is just a weaker Phantasmal Killer and does nothing interesting.

Zombies raised by Inkfire are harmed and effected by Inkfire, potentially killing them, and raising them as Zombies, that can be harmed and effected by Inkfire...

If they're a wizard, they don't need identify prepared. They can also learn more spells anyway with money.
If it's a ritual book ritual, they can just learn more rituals with money.
If your DM is making levelling take a lot longer than intended it's not unreasonable to allow something that normally only happens on level up to happen part-way through levelling.
However, that's only assuming it's going to take them maybe 5 sessions or something stupid to get to level 5.

I wish there was more female Goliath art like this

Does anyone have a Homebrew that expands on the "This Is Your Life" tables in Xanathar's Guide To Everything? Or for each class?

it's definitely the best one I've seen by far

That's impossible user. It's creepy and uncomfortable regardless of the gender. Sexual harassment happens to be uncomfortable regardless of how you paint it.

As stated before... Having fun is all about your interactions and dice rolling. Make a fun character who you enjoy being, make friends with the people you meet in the game (especially the party), and build the world with the DM through the narrative. You make your own fun in D&D.

God damnit he has such a punchable face

say that to my face fucker not online and see what happens

>tfw party face is a dwarf barbarian with 8 cha and 6 int

Swiggity swooty I'mma coming for that booty

not if you are enlarged by the spell Enlarge Person

First Shia now this putz.

Jesus Christ that form is horrific, I'm not sure what the fuck they're even going for here.

they're going for that tumblr *100% getting my ass kicked* pose

isnt the point to make them uncomfortable

Rolled 16 + 9 (1d20 + 9)

I forgot to roll for face punching!

Yeah her pose is bizarre isn't it?I could not find a cooler female pugilist picture in time so I worked with what I had.

Considering the fact that it's wearing modernized glasses, my money is on "shameless self insert."
The only amount of thought that was likely put into that form was "What pose do I think a badass brawler would strike before attacking?"
My favorite part is the pauldron that looks like it could fillet a fish sitting back out of the way, because the last thing to want to do with your armored side is put it between you and a threat.

Unless you're generous with scrolls and spellbooks as treasure, eliminating the two spells Wizards get "for free" each level would be a huge nerf.

Avasculate's range is unusual, there's no other 50 ft range spell that I'm aware of. Might as well bump it up to 60 ft to fit in. Spell itself seems fine, compares favorably to Blight (but a lot of spells do so that's probably okay). I would also consider changing the "grappled" condition to "restrained". It's stronger and probably makes more sense, since the blood isn't really grappling with the targets. If you do this, add something like the escape clause from Maximilian's Earthen Grasp or Evard's Black Tentacles.

I understand why it's there, but unless you really want it to, Necrotic Surge probably doesn't need the "no effect on undead or constructs" clause. The resistance/immunity to necrotic should be taken care of by the monster's stats.

I agree with on the fact that Crucium's Hex needs to do something different.

continued
Inkfire is interesting. You might make it clear whether or not the "fire" actually sets things on fire. Why is it making things fall, though? Also, note that zombies are not inherently immune (or even resistant) to necrotic damage. The fire will probably trip up and kill your zombies, since they're already slow and their abysmal dex almost assures a failed saving throw. I like the idea of a spreading blackness that sucks the life out of creatures and turns them into zombies though, cool concept.

I like Death Aegis, being like a necrotic Investiture variant. You might consider bumping it up a level and copying the template of those spells. As is, it seems weak to me. I would remove the "radiant damage removes it" thing, might even replace that with resistance to radiant damage, in the vein of the Investiture spells. A nitpick: the intention is obvious, but since the creature has immunity to necrotic damage, it will never take necrotic damage, technically rendering the "necrotic = healing" thing useless. It doesn't need immunity to necrotic damage if it has that replacement effect.

I had not seen this from the people at Sterling Vermin, seems like a neat idea a feat that grants you stances, what do you guys think?

With Xanathar's Guide out I wondered if Eldritch Knights are worth it. So far I have a Human Variant Fighter 3 (Battlemaster)/Wizard 2 (War Mage) and he's acing everything that a Eldritch Knight can do. Maneuvering Strike+Booming Blade+Whip+Spell Sniper seems to punish my enemies pretty well. Get allies out of melee or into cover when they need to without AOO and force enemies to make a 5ft step and get 2d8 thunder each turn or shit on their ass and try to shoot me with a crossbow bolt or spell that I soak. Everyone says it's cheap for me to war mage and get the constant +2 AC/+4 to one save or attack against me but I constantly remind them that it isn't Shield so the bonus doesn't last.

I don't know if you're playing Adventure's League but Xanathar's Notes on Everything Else has the Path of Sacred Kin. It's D&D 5e version of the Bloodrager and you gain the ability to cast spells while raging, add your STR to your AC, become resistant to all magic damage and immune to one magical damage type based on your Ancestor, and advantage on Concentration Checks for spells. The only downside is that you give up immunity to Piercing/Slashing/Bludgeoning but in exchange you gain resistance to all magical damage plus one immunity. You gain spells from the Sorcerer's spell list and cast using Constitution along with getting meta-magic later on. It follows the 1/4 caster rules like Eldritch Knight but that barely matters in the long run. Combo that with the Divine Herald Rogue class in the same book and you also gain Cleric Spells, the ability to do Radiant or Necrotic with your sneak attack+have them make a wisdom save to have disadvantage on their next attack, and a small bonus that allows you to gain proficiency+expertise in History and Religion when it comes to religious/cult info. It probably goes against what you want but it can be a fun build to play a Theurge Barbarogue of Justice.

Grinning Revenant Style is some edgy shit but would be pretty cool for lizardfolk

I am not sure cantrip attack work with maneuver attack just like you can't use it with extra attack.

variant human can get a d10 unarmed strike by level 8

And teach someone how to punch as well!

Crawford said it did. It only triggers when you make a melee weapon attack. You don't need to use the attack action as it penalizes you with extra attack. Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade exclusively state that you make a melee weapon attack to complete the spell. Battlemaster talents do not trigger of the magic damage but the melee attack made to deliver the magic damage. This is why I made the build because Crawford seems to hate extra attack but is okay with the Melee Weapon Attack Cantrips for some reason.

Looks fun. I could see myself playing a V. Human fighter and taking these feats

Cantrips in general are made to be mutually exclusive with extra attack because cantrips scale with level, and character level at that.
Anything that works with a "melee attack" would still work with a melee spell attack cantrip, for example.

No lie i'm thinking about mixing their homebrews and trying it with a Pugilist. Bear stance Pugilist sounds scary strong.

Would there be anything broken about letting a character use a dagger as a spell focus? What about an inscribed glove or gauntlet, assuming that the hand must be empty to actually cast spells?

Also Maneuvers do not work with extra attack because you can only use 1 maneuver per attack. Mearls and Crawford see Extra attack as two damage effects from one attack. You can use a maneuver on the first or second hit/swing in extra attack but never both. The only thing that breaks said rule is if you attack with a bonus action (two weapon or multi class) or action surge to gain a new set of attacks. Don't get me wrong I think their idiots for separating extra attack like this since Battle Dice are a low resource and can easily be spent in one combat but I think they did this in a way to stay balanced. Honestly I'd just prefer they say you can only use one maneuver per turn which would easily cut through the confusion and actually make you sweat between choosing to DPS with maneuvers, support the team, or defend yourself. That way you feel like a real tactician who reads the battlefield and takes the risks of leadership like the class describes.

No. In fact, what could you even feasibly do to break it? It's just a random item, you could make a coffee mug a spell focus, it doesn't matter.

One's a one handed weapon (only weapon focus is a staff which is two handed), the other messes with action economy since you no longer have to draw your focus. I figured they were fine but wanted to know if there was any shenanigans possible.

Nope, Swords Bards and Pact of the Blade Warlocks can use their weapons as spellcasting focuses. If you really feel like this is somehow breaking something (it isnt) you can give the person this item from XGtE.

>Maneuvers do not work with extra attack because you can only use 1 maneuver per attack
Yeah, where do they say this? I'm trying to find it because that's retarded and I want to see the horseshit straight from the ass.

Does it make your weapon count as magical to overcome resistance to non magical attack?

keep in mind the rules allow you to drop your weapon, cast a spell, then use your free object interaction to pick the weapon back up

it sounds dumb but it's actually better than just sheathing the weapon since you can't sheathe, action, then unsheathe on the same turn normally

so if you're the DM you can handwave away a lot of the fiddly spellcasting shit if you like, or you may find your smarter players doing this instead and making the game feel a bit silly

Nope, it does not say anything about your weapon becoming magic.

This seems to imply that maneuvers work just fine with extra attack

sageadvice.eu/2016/09/18/can-a-battle-master-use-a-maneuver-every-attack-role-or-only-once-every-attack-action/

and again, here
sageadvice.eu/2016/08/26/but-is-that-one-maneuver-per-attack-roll-or-per-attack-action/

>You can use a maneuver on the first or second hit/swing in extra attack but never both.
Where does this idea even come from?

Sneak attack, smite, rage, cantrip attack, and maneuver. How much can you stack into one attack?

Sneak attack, Smite, Smite Spell, Blade Cantrip, Maneuver, Magic Weapon like Flametongue, Holy Weapon (cast by someone else), and Combat Inspiration.

>tfw you actually liked the Arbiter’s missions in Halo 2

I want to run D&D but I like the d100 and free form character building from the fantasy flight series... anyone know of a happy medium?

and eldritch smite!

Why does it matter? There are very few circumstances where needing a hand for somatic/material components actually matters, such as if you're a sword-and-board EK and you want to both be able to take reaction attacks with your weapon and not your sheeld and be able to cast the 'shield' spell when it's not your turn, even though both use your reaction. And even that's just the difference between a 1d4+STR reaction attack and a 1d8+STR/DEX reaction attack, you'd still apply sentinel n' shit.

I liked the different feel/flavor the missions had, but the actual levels in terms of design/variety were pretty trash.

In damage yes and also that's why the melee spell cantrips work wonders for a dip into Fighter. I don't plan on going higher than 3 since the maneuvers I use are for utility and the superiority die damage is just cheese. Since I can only attack once the melee cantrips, DPS evens out with an average figher as you said. Once I get to 14th level then shit becomes epic because Tenser's Transformation allows me to go hulk on some assholes. The only downside is that you can't cast spells but I think that's so people can Dispel Magic you without you Counterspelling.

>You can use only one maneuver per attack.
PHB p. 74

This clearly states that its one per ATTACK not ATTACK ACTION

So if you have Extra Attack, or even use a bonus action or a reaction or a Haste attack then you an use a maneuver on each

WHAT are some good D&D podcasts I can listen to while a drive a million hours over the holiday?

Barbarian rage for extra STR damage if you multiclass into Path of Sacred Kin Barbarian. Also you get 2 metamagics at 6th level with 4 sorcery points so you can use Empowered and Heightened Spell to reroll the dice on the spell smite if it sucks and also give the target disadvantage if it has a save effect (Wrathful Smite, etc) on top of rage.

Nothing like JAIL to bring a party together.

in my defense as a DM this was the end of the third session

Ones own thoughts. They usually open a path of 'fun' that makes one not sleep during the night.

>needing a party face

Can't cast or concentrate on spells while raging.

We don't need one, but the dorf barb is chaotic stupid, and if I could put emphasis on both "chaotic" and "stupid" I would. He has no sense of self-preservation, no filter, and has yet to hesitate in any situation. Therefore, he ends up being the one to always be the first to talk to people, as well as the first to walk into rooms and meet people.

If I have to spend eight hours alone with my thoughts I will wrap my car around a tree.

If a moon elemental did psychic or mental attacks, what would a star elemental do, what would a sun elemental do?
I'm thinking a star one might be related to darkness.
I got no ideas for a sun one.
I'm trying to make them distinct from any classical elements.

Warlock gets their own sort of version of smite.

>Star Elemental
>Not dealing a fuckload of pure Radiant damage

Path of Sacred Kin Barbarian is stupid which is why I'm wondering if WOTC were high when they made Xanathar's Lost Notes on Everything Else.

At 3rd level, you can focus on the magic in your blood, allowing you to concentrate your rage into the ancient magic of your bloodline and enter a Supernatural Fury.

You gain the ability to cast and concentrate on spells, even while raging, at the expense of your physical resistances.

It also gives you some stupid shit on top of that but I can't type it all in one post. The book is in OP 5e trove so you can download it and read it. Honestly Sacred Kin is really janky when you put it all together.

WotC didn't make Xanathar's Lost Notes. It's DM's Guild homebrew book by a bunch of randos. People publishing their stuff on DM's Guild are allowed to use WotC intellectual property.

FROM ATLANTIC TO PACIFIC
GEE THE TRAFFIC IS TERRIFIC

>if WOTC were high when they made Xanathar's Lost Notes

are you high son

maybe you should idk
read the fucking book

also it's not a podcast but I've been watching how to be a great GM and it would totally work mostly with sound only, I mean it wouldn't actually be any less dry with sound only.

Star would probably be using the 'blink' spell, moving away with misty step, using long-ranged attacks, probably ray sorts of attacks, maybe some odd fortune debuff that gives someone disadvantage on their next roll after damaging it.

Sun would be radial or line or 'plume' AoE fire attacks, radiance+blind effects, might even have 'magnetic' attacks if you want to get scientific which would be disruption and 'radiation', whether that be poison, necrotic, radiant or force..

>WotC didn't make Xanathar's Lost Notes. It's DM's Guild homebrew.

Fair enough. WOTC is singing it's praises and links it straight from their sight like a product. With all the people who sponsored it on the Official D&D Podcast, it might as well be an official book.