So I was invited to play D&D. The only RPGs I have played are Skyrim and Mass Effect

So I was invited to play D&D. The only RPGs I have played are Skyrim and Mass Effect.

I was told I can be anything, and it is like a choose your own adventure kind of game. So fa/tg/uys, how can I make Wolverine in D&D. We are playing 5th edition by the way.

I remade this thread because I wrote 6th edition, reading the email again it says 5th.

Other urls found in this thread:

mfov.magehandpress
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I was told I can be anything
They lied.
>how can I make Wolverine in D&D
You can't.

I feel bad for you, because your friends obviously don't care about you very much. If they did, they wouldn't have let you get excited about playing D&D.

Your DM probably meant that you can be any class. Just look through the Player hand book and choose whatever you like the most.

Also don't fall for the "I'll wanna be Superhero X but a dwarf". I've done it and it's honestly boring. You will get tired of it soon and probably change characters as well. Think of a normal characters, think why he's adventuring, have fun.

As and pointed out, you definitely don't have the ability to be "anything". You're generally limited to options in available rulebooks, maybe with some small homebrew or re-fluffing (describing a given ability a different way that works out the same as far as rules go, like flavoring your spells to be thorn-themed to be a "thorn mage" even if that isn't a real thing). Your GM should have given you resources for character building (rulebooks, links to resources, and/or pdfs) and should have told you about what their world is like and what the expectations are for characters in their world. IE what are the countries you could hail from, if you were a wizard where those are trained, where the game is taking place, etc. etc.

Go ask your DM about details.
the world you play in, what kind of character would fit well, do-s and don't-s, and so on.

Wolverine fights with permanent Regeneration and retractable claws. You won't have anything resembling this starting out of the gate at level one, but the closest you can work up to it is through the Druid. Go Druid (Circle of the Moon), then reflavor your Wildshape as being a really scruffy dude. Otherwise, go Barbarian and pick a race that has natural weapons.

Fighter (Champion) might also work, if Second Wind and Survivor can be reflavored as regeneration.

You could be a shifter. That way you could be a scruffy dude who has claws sometimes.

Wolverine?
That's easy, play a Way of the open palm Monk, put plenty into STR and Con.
Make him an Elf with a healing cantrip (if possible), to explain his long lifespan.

>Play a monk
>Just put all your stats in STR and CON
Why not just tell him to use a crossbow while he's at it?

okay but are we gonna ignore the flag he overlayed it on? Like why

GOD BLESS TEXAS
THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN
That is all.

Welcome to role-playing! DnD is a bit snubbed on Veeky Forums because it's decent at lots of things instead of great at one or two specific things, but it's everyone's second-favorite RPG for a reason, so you're probably in for a good time if your group is cool.

Talk with your DM! He'll help you make a character, and give you a general sense of the tone that the group is going for so that you don't make Wolverine while everyone else is playing as a Boy Band (which can be fun in it's own way). If you're really committed to an idea, he can also house rule or re-fluff something to help you out. Half of DnD is seeing what your DM will let you get away with. (Also, if your DM is a total shithead, better to find out before you invest too much energy into getting excited for the game)

Using something you're familiar with as a base can be a good way for new players to get used to role-playing. Being "Wolverine" too specifically can get you eye-rolls, but being "a cranky asshole who gets mad, soaks damage, and is kind of a cool dad when put in the position to be" is perfectly fine, and the character will often get more interesting as you get used to him and new character traits emerge naturally.

If you're asking how to make something that fights like Wolverine, I'd say make a Barbarian that dual-wields daggers, and take Path of the Berserker at level 3 for the frenzied attacks, or Path of the Totem to use the bear totem to soak a shitload of damage.

Texas here, fuck the South, the Republic shall rise again.

I don't even have to ask to know you're from Austin you fucking commie

>decent at lots of things

5e is one of the best "beginner-to-moderate" RPGs. It's reasonably simple, and the advantage mechanic is a good way to keep DMs from having to look up rules because if the party needs to, say, fight with their eyes closed, the DM can just say "disadvantage on attacks and they get advantage on attacks".

Big Thicket nigga.

if your dm allows homebrew, consider this barbarian archetype from MFoV

mfov.magehandpress com/2017/03/the-feral-ravager.html

I always recommend my new players to play Fighter, Rogue (and maybe Barbarian) since they are fairly straight toward and dont get spells unless you subclass into one with it. so they have time to learn the basics and dont get angry at learning spells.

Damn man, you can have way more fun than having a lackluster superhero copy that isn't half as powerful as the actual one. Here's something I came up with myself: be an orc fighter with the entertainer history. Your story is that you were raised in a circus and used to swallow swords for gold; now you fight with one.

you could also be a very successful sexworker with that skill

I feel bad for players that are told, "you can be anything you want!" because it isn't totally true. your character is built on the rules in the book.

the you want some real advice OP? sit down for a half-hour and put to paper what you would like a medieval/renaissance fantasy character to look, sound, and act like. the orphaned child background is always fine, just don't make the mistake of being too edgy about it. put yourself in the mindset of: I am a person living in medieval times, except with magic, and fantastic creatures.

what would you do and be in this circumstance? at level 1, unless you're a sorcerer or warlock, you have a life that can be pretty similar to a regular real-world one. the real heroic and supernatural character backgrounds comes from what you do at the table.

have fun.

First, welcome to the hobby!

Second, your friend lied to you, sorry to say. D&D is one of the most limiting systems out there. You can't be anything unless the GM has specifically house-ruled it into the game. That being said, you can work with the limitations and still make a great character. You're just going to have to abide by the rules set forth within the Player's Handbook.

If you want to play a system where you can REALLY be anything, you're going to have to pick up a generic system like GURPS. Being Wolverine in that system is as easy as saying "I want Sharp Claws and Fast Regeneration" Unfortunately, it's got an undeserved rep and it's not that well known so your GM will probably 1) say it's riddled with math (untrue) or 2) say he hasn't heard of it (more than likely).

Look into GURPS after you get the handle of how D&D it's played, or if you're feeling balsy go straight to it.

And most importantly: HAVE FUN.

>unironically GURPing to GURP a scrub

>uses the term fa/tg/uys
>does not know what a roleplaying game is

Is this a troll thread?

Monk reflavoured with blades.

I love the system and play it regularly. Does that make you upset?

Barbarian 1/Fighter 2/Paladin 3 (Oath of Vengeance)
Fluff dual wielded short swords as his claws.

Obviously it doesn't come up to being anywhere near close until at least 6th level. It's a bit of a mess and most of the stuff needs to be heavily fluffed.

Unarmored defense and rage from barbarian should be a given, take dual wielding as your fighter fighting style for the extra damage to your off hand weapon. Second Wind and Lay on Hands sort of help with the regeneration ability (not nearly as great as his ability in comics, but still).

Divine Sense could be fluffed as his keen smelling abilities or something. Paladin fighting style should be protection, I'd suggest Defense but you shouldn't be wearing armor. Also wind up with immunity to disease, all in all it fits fairly well.

Most of your paladin spell slots should be used either for self healing or things like bane/hunter's mark. Or smiting, smiting is always good.

After level 6... well, take it how you think would fit best thematically, but I'd suggest getting Barbarian to at least level 6 for the extra speed, extra attack, danger sense and such, likely Path of the Totem Warrior (bear at 3rd, wolf at 6th).

Have fun.

Unironically ask leddit this question instead, Veeky Forums will meme you into oblivion over
>d&d

Someone seems to have given this way too much thought. I'm assuming you've played this out before?

How are you guys seeing Logan as a monk exactly?

Tell your GM to play GURPS instead. That'll sound like gibberish to your ears, but he'll know what you're talking about.

In the meanwhile, ask any questions about GURPS to the general:

Don't know why you people keep trying to shill out that system.

Because it's a good system that gets a bad rap

It's also got nothing to do with OP's question. If his group is playing 5e they aren't going to dump it just to make it a bit easier for one player to make a gimmick character.

I'm trying to get everyone to have a better time by giving them a objectively superior system

The levels of autism in this post are equivalent to the "fun is a buzzword" post from /v/.

It is though

He hits stuff with his hands and isn't a very good negotiator.

I can't tell if you meant GURPS is in fact superior, or that "fun" is, in fact, a buzzword. This is what Veeky Forums has done to me.

Play as a human monk, and ask your DM if your unarmed attacks can do piercing damage.

*slashing

Texas isn't the south, it's fucking Texas. You larping piece of shit communist californians need to be gassed.

t. Forth Worth

That's the flag of my country (Chile).

But I've got to admit you Texans have a good looking flag too.

>Chile
ew