Has an evil campaign ever gone well in your games? Something more than

>WE BURN DOWN THE VILLAGE AND RAPE
>MUH NECROMANCY
>chaotic evil in general

Not in my experience
But chaotic neutral campaigns go well every time
>the bbeg and his goons fuck over the party
>now its personal
In my experience, having players "do the right/wrong thing" is never a good motivator

Evil campaigns usually last a session once the party gets all their sadistic jollies out

It really comes down to having the right group. If so much as one player plays RPG's as pure Id-driven power fantasy it's going to be a shitshow from session one.

Evil campaigns are fantastic if your players are more the 'roleplaying wargamer' and 'dramafag who likes dice' types.

What exactly is wrong/unfun about burning down villages/pillaging.

Never in my experience, but probably more because of the DM trying to force plot lines similar to more standard games.Then it becomes a matter of what is even the point of being evil if you're still forced to save the kingdom...

In gurps they have a weapon modifier called a parasite seed.

It replaces people with nanomorphs.

My character wanted to rule a country so I replaced most of the North Korean military with nanomorphs and preformed a Coup d'état with military robots.

But it’s gurps, so no alignments.

Here’s the robots.

Keep in mind that most officers are ~150 points.

>Then it becomes a matter of what is even the point of being evil if you're still forced to save the kingdom...
this is always the problem in my experience. The solution is to have the party be the agents of destroying the kingdom. Instead of stopping some evil ritual in the cathedral cemetery the pcs orchestrate it etc. You can still have political intrigue within the evil faction so long as your villain is more interesting than voldemort evilman who is in charge for no ostensible reason and has an army of evil for the same reason.

>Be playing Dragonstar
>party comes across evil McGuffin that was essentially a sith holocron
>be NG Paladin, put holocron in lead box to keep it in check while we figure out the hows and why's of destroying it and the BBEG
>Lead box idea doesn't actually work because magic
>talk with DM about me falling gradually over time
>Drop pretty big hints in-game that paladin is turning but nobody gets it because one guy is a crunch-only stoner and the other two are too busy trying to get funding to start an intergalactic PMC.
>Somebody finally gets what'ss going on when the paladin murders the (very sloshed at that point)BBEG during a state dinner using a bench.
>Fast forward a couple months to where my now fallen paladin has put the original BBEG's plan back into motion with a few modifications what will wipe out a couple systems and put the rest nearby into a state of decay for a couple hundred years so they can be reset to their natural state.
>Party arrives on my flagship to try and stop me only to find the vessel mostly empty with me goading them from the bridge
>Jump within spitting distance of a red dwarf and blast their cobbled-together frigate off the aft end, taking the cruiser's main engine with it.
>party arrives on the bridge to find me sipping cocoa
>"What? You think I lured you here to fight me? The phages are already on their way to the supercluster and I've taken the liberty of incinerating their control module. Couldn't stop them if I wanted to. As for the engines, to be honest, I didn't have any intention of living to see what happens next, bad enough that prick was right from the start. I just thought it would be nice to have one last drink with my friends before Serao-13's gravity well puts a final period on our little adventure."

Generally a waste. Not very good wealth density considering how much manpower it takes to pull that shit off. you'd be better off subjugating the village.

I always liked the idea of running an evil campaign where the players are part of an organization (assassins, organized, crime, smugglers) so the characters can be assholes but have some reasons to not just destroy everything

When trying to make an evil campaign ask your players, what are you attempting to do? Throw down the old order and replace it with something new? Or are you going to try and corrupt the old. Honestly I find the latter more interesting because it's not just >I attack everyone I see.

Makes more nuanced villains in my opinion top.

My favorite campaign I've ever played was an evil campaign. The premise was that we were going to all play Drow in Forgotten Realms, and actually keep in-character as evil spider-worshipping shitheads. We started out as a bunch of students in Menzoberranzan hanging out in Melee-Magrethe or Sorcere, and then eventually ended up out on the surface where we traveled the countryside doing dastardly things and tracking down people who had fucked with us. And despite being hilariously evil (Lots of wanton murder, coercion, torture, thievery, and rope-burning a gnome's arms off) we ended up saving the world explicitly because the motherfucker who was ending it owed us some shit.

To be fair though ,the GM was really good at selling the villain, who was genuinely malevolent compared to our usual petty dickishness. Memorably, there was the time he captured us to interrogate us, and the interrogation involved force-feeding us a modified delayed-blast fireball and counting down the rounds until it blew unless you told him what he wanted to know.

We crushed him to death with a giant scorpion.

Evil characters are naturally self-interested and difficult to compel to any kind of duty or moral obligation. To make an evil campaign go more smoothly, try to understand your player's own goals. You can even straight up ask them to figure out the direction they'd like to go in and tell you. Plan the campaign based on that.
They're not going to just follow any old railroad; build a better one that takes them where they'd like to be

Everything about that manga was dumb.

What's the sauce and could you elaborate?

>tracking down people who fucked with us

The best part of evil campaigns is what sweet vengeance

I’m running way of the wicked for pathfinder. It’s become a dumpster fire.

I'm running a game with fairly good player characters who are starting to unearth, and benefit from, some decidedly evil forces. Next session is tentatively planned to give someone the option of really taking the plunge- hope it isn't a retarded idea that ruins everything.

You do not want to know. It is bad, really. It has no redeeming qualities.

Its a basic retro JRPG-Premise of Hero fighting the Demonlord but hold on, this one has Shayamayalan-Tweest that demons are so much of a higher Level than humans so in order to defeat them the edgy hero has to kill his own adventuring party to absorb their Levels for a single attack that will be of a higher level than the demon he is fighting thus be able to kill him but this only works with people who trust him for some reason.
Its basically edgy forced drama at its worst with him building first relationships with people who he then murders in order to kill demon but the manga tries really hard to depict him as the one who is truly suffering because he has to betray and kill the people who trust him, angst angst angst.

Nostril wizard was funny in dumb way

my favorite evil party story

Why the fuck any reasonable human being would care about killing some demons if it requires to do much more evil shit than demons can ever do?

I mean what is the absolute worst a demon you can in theory kill can do to you that will require you to backstab other people to gain their powers?

Eternal torture? If it is a being you can kill he wont be able to torture you for eternity. Murder you or others? Why the fuck would you care at that point

In all fairness, the protagonist has genuinely no choice. It is literally the only way he can gain powers, and only for one fight.

The Demon Lord is aiming to destroy the entire world. More, the hero isn't unique: His power belongs to his *class*, which means that there are about 30 people with the same ability running around.

It's worth stating that the protagonist, at most, kills about a dozen people. The Demon Lord wipes out entire cities, which means thousands of lives lost in a single blast. Killing about a dozen to save billions is totally worth it. It's a dirty job, but SOMEONE has to do it.

The hero dies without accomplishing anything. The manga was canned after 5 volumes. The climax had another hero gather an army of thousands to zerg rush the demon lord, then absorb all their levels (when they died) to wipe the villains out in a single strike. He died too.

Don't forget that it takes you a lifetime to level up. The demon lords have absurd levels like Level 130 each. Your average human is Level 15. A highly-skilled veteran caps out at Level 30. The most powerful wizard in all of history was like, Level 90.

Inserting MMO level systems to anything outside of MMO's is retarded

I played a campaign where my character's goal was to kill all of the other party members without getting caught.

Unfortunately it didn't work because the GM wouldn't let players die, even after agreeing to the character's goals. (I asked about it before the campaign started.)

>that premise
Jesus fuck, and i thought Akame Ga Kill was bad.

>canned after five volumes
>when your manga is so shit even japs refuse to read it

We had a party of LE supervillains hellbent on ruling human civilization, but who were constantly sidetracked by foreign conquerors and monsters trying to destroy it.

A friend of mine ran a game where we played as the immortal band of evil overlords, sealed away but released to terrorise the world again. It was a lot of fun, honestly, though I did make my character to steer away from a few murderhobo moments.

There was the evil Empress, a charismatic leader and strategist who delighted in getting others to do her dirty work. My character, her right hand man and bodyguard, an old knight of few words who serves her unquestioningly, but still maintains some honour and respect for his foes. The queen of the Yuan'ti, a powerful sorceress and practitioner of the dark arts. A half-orc fighter, the greatest Khan the orcish hordes ever knew, a fearsome warrior and savage without restraint. And the Soul Seizer, a psionic phantom wrought by unholy magics and cursed to an eternal life. Also batshit fucking crazy.

It was a good time.

That sounds like it would work really damn well if it was a videogame, where YOU had to do the killing and YOU had to do the feeling. Kind of halfway between undertale and persona.
But yeah as a manga that sounds dumb.

Fuck.... was there any follow up about how the rest of the group took it?

things that never happened

you are a special kind of asshole, aren't you

Nothing ever happens, really. Does anybody even play RPGs nowadays? They must be dead since the 90-s, amirite? :^)

How the fuck did you get tl12 shit? That sounds like a modern campaign.

"Evil" parties tend to just end up with evil characters doing evil things for no real story-relevant reasons, at least in my own experience. "Non-good" parties have tended to work better. The party I'm currently playing in for example all have goals that don't fall cleanly on the side of "good" or "evil", but have a clear reason to stick together beyond just "evil's more fun when you have company".

>The party gish is a warrior queen, peaceably deposed in favor of her more 'aristocratic' brother when the BBEG had his puppet refuse to recognize her claim to rule the small nation.
>Still in her prime but without an army to lead, she'd like to kill the BBEG but really what she wants is to find her death in battle. Joining the party was one possible means to that end.

>The party wizard is a eunuch who used to have the previous ruler's favor and a respectable job in the upper echelon of the palace officials.
>He wants to kill the BBEG for assassinating his former patron, then having him demoted to serve as a low-ranking provincial administrator within sight of the palace where he used to live and work: LITERALLY to rub salt in the wound.

>The barbarian comes from a tribe that was wiped out in a war, just so the BBEG's puppet could use it to consolidate his base of political support.
>The barbarian couldn't care less about the actual BBEG, he just wants to put the puppet ruler to the sword in a punishment fitting the laws of his people. The BBEG would just be a nice thing to kill on the side.

>The monk hails from the same monastery where the BBEG studied philosophy and history after becoming a eunuch, but before becoming a high ranking official.
>The eunuch turning out evil stains the monastery's name, and the monk takes a harder line on how to deal with his betrayal of their code and morals than his more moderate peers do.

Basically, each one of them has their own reason for being there and none of them really care much what happens beyond that goal. The gish will fight anyone the party butts heads with in the hopes that they'll be the person who could give her the sort of death she craves, but she'll make them work for it. The wizard sees anyone serving the new puppet ruler as serving the BBEG by extension, and so they become party to his misdeeds. He has the right to kill them, in his mind, for serving evil. The barbarian hates the nation by extension for wiping out his people, and while he mostly focuses on the goal enough to not murder people randomly he doesn't really have any sympathy to spare for the civilians he encounters. The monk's sole concern is the BBEG: anything unrelated to that isn't really his problem.

Sometimes they end up doing things the way an evil party would, sometimes they don't.

Yes, actually. I'm currently taking part in a campaign that sort of organically turned evil that's based around taking over the city we're staying in by inciting a peasant rebellion and toppling the merchants' guild that rules the place. We've got an LE merchant orc barbarian who is the de facto leader of the party/company and firmly the "white collar criminal" flavor of evil, a TN gnomish illusionist spy sent in to destabilize the region(There's a dwarf/human/halfling vs. gnome/elf cold war going on) who doesn't care what happens to the city as long as she gets a promotion to a nice desk job after this and sees herself as just doing her job(me), one guy who plays a TN druid who's not come to the sessions for a while so he's not really up to date with the fact that we've decided to become gangsters, and one guy who's joining us next session. We used to have one more but he quit. So far we've conducted a few political assassinations to prevent a merchants' guild vote to build fortifications around the rich areas of the city and tricked a magically insane NPC that I'm pretty sure we were supposed to help into signing some documents that handed us his house.

It's the GM's fault for allowing it. It's not inherently wrong to have a character like that, but it is wrong to allow it then fuck the guy over when he tries to accomplish the stated goal you told him he was allowed to attempt to accomplish.

>Evil campaign, start at level 1.
>Using 4e rules, make paladin of the god of Tyranny, Going to run it as a straight "Might Makes Right" fascist.
>This was 2014, before Fascist meant "I Think Everyone Should Be Able to Speak" fascist.
>GM narrates me riding up to a crossroad, where I encounter Player #2 heading across my path, and seems lost.
>Player #2 is a Bugbear Wizard.
>Greet Player #2.
>Player #2 walks up beside my horse, appraises it for a moment, then casts Magic Missile at me.
GM & Me: "Are You Sure About That?"
>He was.
>Single combat ensues
>my tyrannical paladin uses Radiant Smite with his greataxe, deals 24 damage, and one-shots the wizard.
>Other players are all friends of the Wizard.
>Don't want to start the game off with a murder, so use skill to stabilize.
>But not about to let a weakling boss me around, not like i owe this mainiac anything, so i tie him up with the rope from my kit, and throw his 0-HP ass across the flanks of my horse, then continue my ride.
>Roll into town
>Encounter players #2 and #3
>Warlock and Rogue
>They decide to attack me in the tavern.
>2 on 1 combat ensues.
>Paladin survives on 1 HP.
>Radiant Smite one-shot the rogue, and the warlock, despite dropping a huge Daily spell on me, which *almost* gets the kill, goes down like a sack of wet paper after two At-Will hits.
>Turn over all the "brigands" to the town. Encourage their execution.
>GM has a trial by jury.
>Paladin uses Charisma to appeal to the people.
>Jury finds them all guilty.
>They hang for their crimes.
>Not invited back to the next session.

You should always disallow chaotic evil barring a ten-page dissertation on why someone's playing a character that categorically cannot work well with others. I think evil campaigns only work if there are some neutral characters thrown in to prevent incessant pillaging, nobody is worse than NE, the party has varied motivations beyond "I just want more power" or "I delight in violence and care about nothing else", and the forces of good are way stronger than the party or any allies they might muster, at least at the start.