So now that the Star Wars franchise is officially dead...

So now that the Star Wars franchise is officially dead, I want a game setting that has all that original series magic without being Star Wars.

What I mean by "magic" isn't those usual theories that it's all space samurai, or a space western, or space wizard of oz. To me what made the original series magical was the moral universe it inhabited. In Episodes IV through VI, life has meaning, it's worth it to fight for friends and love, the seeds of goodness can grow in the darkest of places. That's why VI is a great memorable movie despite the care bears.

Episodes I through III just threw all that out the window in favor of midichlorians and uninspired CGI. TFA, for all its faults (rehashed plot, boring Snoke, boring "Starkiller"), seemed to bring some of that back with new POTENTIALLY interesting characters. And then TLJ just shat all over it.

Other urls found in this thread:

fanfiction.net/s/5665753/1/The-Phantom-Menace
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you've ever read the fan fiction rewrite by Veriform ( fanfiction.net/s/5665753/1/The-Phantom-Menace ) you know the prequels COULD have been great, could have stayed in that moral universe, with just a few adjustments to make the characters and story interesting again.

What I find interesting is that even though it was a mandated trilogy from the very start, the new stuff is so disorganized and haphazard. Each individual film in the new trilogy is very much not designed to stand alone, yet at the same time mesh poorly together. This is what I am hearing consistently from viewers and for that reason I am never watching TLJ. I am confused that Disney was so half-assed with something they paid so much for. That said the third prequel made its money back somehow so they might have just realized everything prints money.

>muh originals
4 was empty as shit no they weren’t “world building” shit was being made up with no overarching plan. The KOTOR games were literally the only decently written thing in the Star Wars franchise

I think they just don't know what made Star Wars work. They really don't. So the formula for TFA was "let's just remake ANH as closely as possible", which kinda worked (there was a lot of enthusiasm at first!) but rightly condemned as too formulaic. Then they went the other way around, broke every formula, which should work but they didn't put anything in its place! So they're left just sitting in a pile of rubble with no reason to care.

Which is funny because to my mind the real magic in Star Wars is there IS ALWAYS A REASON TO CARE.

Well, let's do some worldbuilding now. With Star Wars confirmed dead, Veeky Forums is the place to raise a new setting from its ashes. So here are the elements I think we need:

- Space future stuff, though rather than "galaxy far, far away" let's say completely "a thousand years from now, Earth is the traditional, corrupt old capital of the Hundred Planets though the real power has moved coreward."

- Esoteric philosophies that give magic powers.

- An order of mere baseline humans that somehow manage to do superhuman things, with a strong guiding ethic

- A seemingly unstoppable shadow blotting out light in the galaxy. I'm thinking Trump/Brexit-style populism, tearing the Hundred Planets against each other and setting human against alien against machine.

See what I mean? Capacity for wonder, goodness, friendship, creativity against a seemingly unstoppable wave of hate and ignorance. What other aspects can we add?

>the Star Wars franchise is officially dead
Wishful thinking, normies will keep eating that shit sandwich every year and they'll smile and ask for more. Star Wars is too big to fail.

You can't expect much from Abrams. I don't know why anyone gives franchises to him.

Kill yourself.

Shit, is it 1999 again? Did we travel back in time? Or even further back to 1983 when the last decent Star Wars movie was made?

>liking KOTOR 1
Every Bioware game post-BG2 has been garbage.

>I want a game setting that has all that original series magic without being Star Wars.

Just make sure you don't allow competent female characters. Rey being a main character who was good for anything more than eye candy is what has destroyed the new series.

The KotOR games were just rewrites of the OT, plus side missions.

>Each individual film in the new trilogy is very much not designed to stand alone, yet at the same time mesh poorly together.
>This is what I am hearing consistently from viewers and for that reason I am never watching TLJ
what

I liked Jade Empire

>nostalgia gates 2

Come on now, the first Dragon Age game was really good

I AM PERFECTION

Merchandise sales dropped 47% within last half year compared to R1 and 54% compared to TFA.

Disney managed to ruin the brand in just 3 years.

He's saying that The Last Jedi was produced as the second act of a trilogy, yet doesn't give a fuck about the first movie.

This. The only good Star Wars media is 4, 5, 6. That's it. If you watch those three you're fine to start an FFG Star Wars campaign (or the older games if that's what floats your boat I suppose). Anything else is garbage. If you require more inspiration, a better bet would be to watch good Western films (EotE), good WW2 films (AoR) or Kurosawa films (FaD).

I want so much to take Rey's ass

Damn, the game has some primitive detail for such a resolution. Is that some low-budget console title?

It's the year 3,500. Mankind has spread through the stars not in ships -- the speed of light is as restrictive on velocity as ever -- but by simple walking. A far older culture, the Sideways Weavers, had long since found how to connect the centers of planets with their unique gravitational topology to each other. The strange matter structure of the Weave prevents metals or high-energy interactions from passing through, only relatively low-energy CHON-based life forms (natural or artificial) can pass.

And humans, naturally evolved long marchers and endurance runners, are uniquely well situated for the Long Hike. Of course reaching new planets (especially from the center outwards!) originally takes all kinds of survival and terraforming equipment, but over time the methods were perfected.

Two thousand years of intersteller foot travel, through different gravities, atmospheres, ecosystems, had led to a wild adaptive radiation of humanity -- not so much natural selection (which is far too slow) but the self-selections of genetic engineering and culture. This diversity has only enriched humanity: humans now come in more sizes, colors, mind sets, and self-relations than had ever been known in history.

>And then TLJ just shat all over it.

No, not really. TLJ was a pretty bad movie, but it's because of incomprehensibly bad writing and directing choices, like separating the movie into three plotlines when one would have been sufficient, or relying on Admiral Tumblrhair to specifically never explain her decisions to anyone.

The idea that life has meaning and that it's worth it to fight for others hasn't been damaged in the least. The problem was never that they got Star Wars wrong, it's that they made a shitty movie.

It's pretty entertaining. I like it very much. It goes back to the root, but Skywalker look very very like a hobo.

And Mankind is not alone! Through our long walks we have met all manner of alien beings, many of them far older than us, their wisdom sometimes inscrutable sometimes remarkably applicable, their impact on the local humanity overwhelming.

Supporting this tremendous flowering of the human pattern are the Handsbeings of Her Veil. They are peacekeepers, interpreters, guides along the weave, but also computer programmers of unrivalled acumen.

They tend not to go into detail about who She actually is. Once you know Her, you don't need the explanation. Much like the Tao or the Force, She is described mainly in analogies. She is the stars: as distant and always near, as cold and burning hot, as giving and gentle, the center and the distance.

Star Wars was always shit. Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

Christ, that CGI looks like something from the 90s.

>The only good Star Wars media is 4, 5, 6. That's it.
Maybe the only good movies, but I straight-up wouldn’t trust someone who hadn’t played the KotOR games to be able to run a good Star Wars rpg campaign

The Ray of light is the best present I ever got.

Stop making threads about Star Wars on Veeky Forums.

Apparently Abrams didn't actually have any plans for the stuff he left open with TFA.

But all is not well. A sickness has fallen on humankind. From the beginning some saw another side of Her, a hateful, vindictive side, prone to paranoia, to fear, to lashing out. There is only ONE WAY to be human, her handmaids claim across a hundred worlds. OUR WAY. OUR KIND FIRST. And all those voices on all those worlds set humanity at itself like a sick animal clawing out its own belly, the blood and viscera poisoning planet after planet.

I cannot comprehend writing like this. How can you not have, however slight, a clue about how you want your own story to go?

My only complaint is that Kylo doesn't communicate well with Rey when she doing lots of efforts and waiting for it.
I hope he'll improve, Rey deserves attention.

No it doesn't.

Star wars was always shit

From the very beginning it was style over substance, and all of the good ideas in the movies were directly lifted from somewhere else

You just don't realize this because you were a child when you saw the "good" and didn't know any better

Pretty easily if you never actually intended to make more than one film out of a trilogy.

So, just like George Lucas right? They make shit up as they go.

But episode 8 is better than all the prequel movies, it's not bad at all half the negative reviews are from people who haven't even seen the movie.

I haven't yet met anyone IRL who would've actually been satisfied with the new movie. It's not terrible, but it has at least at much bad as good.

TFA and TLJ are copypasted from SW and ANH, they know where they're going.

Yeah I just say it today and I have to agree, it really kept my guessing even when things had been spoiled. It was different but I liked it.

That looks fucking awful. Is it a new game or Clone Wars stuff?

So basically just like what he did with Lost? No wonder that was such a shitshow in terms of plot and development.

>But episode 8 is better than all the prequel movies
That's entirely debatable. At least the prequels attempted something new, rather than rip everything from the OT off wholesale. They also gave us good shit like Darth Maul and his kickass lightsaber. Meanwhile, Force Awakens gave us Emo Vader Jr. and his ridiculously stupid lightsaber.

Filename user.

The most beloved worlds have always been the ones that started out as a patchwork of arbitrary "this would be cool/we need this for the plot" ideas, with the lines being connected later

Inb4 angry virgin worldbuilders who will never have anyone care about their contrived unremarkable setting #72627

It's the Rebels cartoon.

I honestly think they intended TLJ to be the last movie in this series, because it kind of came off that way. They left it "open" but only in a very broad sense, and it really sort of just established a new status quo to play with: evil Sith Lord in charge of a bunch of assholes chasing a good Jedi all over the galaxy while she and her ragtag friends hide and try to fight back. It's just getting us back to square one. I would actually rather they left it alone and picked up with Rey teaching a new, small group of Jedi what little she knows in an effort to stymie the growing power of Kylo, and have the next series of movies about the most promising of her students. Of course we get force ghost Hamill and Yoda along for the ride. Maybe throw a Hayden Christensen in there too to be smarmy. I just don't think this series has a third movie in it.

Looks so much cooler when it's just a short ranged attack.

>Meanwhile, Force Awakens gave us Emo Vader Jr. and his ridiculously stupid lightsaber.
which gets made fun of in TLJ, which was pretty funny actually.

>So now that the Star Wars franchise is officially dead

Nigger what? I mean shure the first movie was just ok but TLJ was great. How about you stop thinking that starwars had some great plot and a deep lore, shut up and enjoy your fantasy in a sci-fi setting

>Emo Vader Jr.
Moar like Darth Cel amirite?

>At least the prequels attempted something new, rather than rip everything from the OT off wholesale

user the prequels were blasted to hell and back for trying something new, TFA was blasted to hell and back for going back to the way the old movies were. SW cant be pleased because they think SW is something more than a bog standard fantasy stroy, the funny thing is that the very same people will read standard-fantasy-book #112512531568 and not complain in the slightest that it's the exactly the same as the past 112412531567 books

Episode 8 is this year’s movie, not 2015’s...

What's that one French comic that Star Wars was based on? You know, the one that recently got an American movie adaptation starring the ugliest "supermodel" of this century?

It's almost as if going in a new direction and/or having callbacks are entirely unrelated to the quality of a movie.

Face it, the OT are the only movies that prospered by their own merit and the rest is just shit that sold because the Star Wars brand is slapped on top of it. The next Star Wars movie could be about a fat Belgian man eating French fries with mayonaise and it'd at least be in the top 10 ticket sales. Even if the trailer is literally just said Belgian main talking to a camera.
>"Goede bonjour! My name is Hendrik Lasalle, et today I will be eating frieten *holds up a bag of fries* and mayonaise *holds up a jar of mayonaise*"
>Fade to black, the title shows up in the original Star Wars font
>Star Wars XIII: French fries vs Flemish fries

I think you are being bitchy bitches.

TLJ was miles better than TFA at evoking the feel, and the parts where it broke expectations were fucking great. I think the original movies are still more consistent, and I rate them higher, but this one showed promise; too bad there's only one episode left of this trilogy, but I'll take what I can get.

I have an idea: let's have a Star Wars movie that doesn't involve the Jedi or the Sith at all.

I...fuck. You’re not wrong.

Thank you for remembering the basics
AND ITS FLAWS

>show deliberately looks like McQuarrie’s art
>shitty
I hate this fandom so much somedays.

but the quality of the movie is pretty good.

>2000s kid detected

So like Rogue One but without Vader? Sounds pretty possible.

Imagine Rogue One played out without the Vader scene. Maybe just replace him with some Stormtroopers lighting the Rebels up as the disk is being passed around.

>McQuarrie’s art

Imitating a shitty tumblr-tier artist isn't a valid defense. Who cares what some DeviantArt photoshopper did? We're talking about Star Wars.

If only they'd release the OT in its unedited format, then I could stop giving a shit for good. Let people enjoy what they like, I don't have to put money into it.

That's not a huge bar to reach. As tabletop nerds we do like the worldbuilding that comes with the prequels but at the same time they're old enough people have forgotten that they are just awkward acting in front of green screens with some flashy but meaningless set pieces.

TLJ character actually act like humans and there are some good ideas and scenes in there, but the movie is just filled with poorly thought out decisions that pad most of the content.

That's available online if you look hard enough. Look for the despecialized editions.

I got you covered user.

But that scene is the best scene of the movie.

There hasn't been a good scene in a Star Wars movie since the end of ESB.

>Imagine Rogue One played out without the Vader scene.

You still got that fucking monk.

It also still worked within making a story that, for 99% of it, is completely separate from the Jedi/Sith struggle. But not every Star Wars movie needs to revolve around the Jedi and the Sith. Rogue One didn't, but I also want a movie that doesn't revolve around the Empire and the Rebellion.
A Force-sensitive monk isn't as tired as full on Force power users.

>57072147

You don't deserve a (You), but have you considered suicide? Everyone's life would be improved if you killed yourself. Not yours, of course, because you'd be be dead, but everyone around you would be happier.

I vastly preferred TFA to TLJ. TFA at least felt like it was made by someone who wanted to make a Star Wars movie. Literally everything related to worldbuilding in TLJ was so half-assed I can only conclude that the director really just didn't care. I want to like TLJ, and I think it went a long way to making Rey an actual character, but it tossed aside way too much internal consistency along the way. Hyperdrive kamikazis can single-handedly decimate entire fleets. The Republic that the heros of the original trilogy sacrificed so much to achieve was so utterly corrupt and ineffectual that the FO managed to cobble together a fleet better than anything the Empire had under its nose (hence undermining the very cause of the Resistance). And now the entirety of said 'Resistance' fits on the Millennium Falcon. As someone who enjoyed TFA and R1, and who wanted to enjoy TLJ, there's just too much the movie did wrong to defend.

Rogue One called. It was pretty okay.

>A Force-sensitive monk isn't as tired as full on Force power users.

Add glowing bits to the ends of his staff and you're not far off. He can sense her crystal, he can fight off a squad of stormtroopers, shoot down fighters, etc. How exactly was his sacrifice meant to be some great "that idiot was right about the Force all along" when he's been pulling crazy shit through the movie?

No "I call it luck" excuse here.

Maybe the Rebellion and Resistance's incompetence is a sign that Episode 9 is going to exonerate the Empire.

The Empire literally did nothing wrong.

It's my genuine hope that a new "Empire" arises in the First Order's place, puts down the Rebels, sterilizes the planets which supported it, and installs an orange alien as its first president-for-life.

Terrorism cannot be tolerated, especially not in media.

Shut your mouth the opening of RotS is great.

It really didn't feel like Vader, though. His movements were way too young. Compare how he fought in those scenes to how he moves in the OT, and it doesn't match at all. It was cool in concept, but if they had paid a bit more attention to the OT they could have made it feel a lot less jarring. (Likewise if they stopped shoving their camera in the face of the CGI puppets.) I'll admit I'm being not-picky, and overall I did like R1, but Vader felt off the whole movie, from how to moved to how he sounded.

No, it did everything wrong. It didn't have enough diversity.

Honestly you could could go full EU writer and make a Star Wars universe with the bits you like. If you aren't planning on selling the setting there's no reason not to make the fanfiction dream universe you've always wanted.

Really though if you just want to focus on the theme of "life has meaning and is worth fighting for" you can do that with more or less any setting.

Robert Heinlein also did nothing wrong.

>It didn't have enough diversity.

Nobody wants diversity.

Normally I'd say you were shitposting or being willfully obtuse to make a political point, but in this case they've made the Republic (twice, now) so incompetent that the FO comes across as the only government that could govern with any degree of stability. Which is such a complete failure of what Star Wars is that it boggles the mind.

They are both extreamly incompetent and could be removed from the whole setting without really changing much. Really i'd love to see a SW movie where we either focus on the sith and jedai only or we focus on the hijinks of someone, you know, interesting. The empire now lost three mega wepons and their flag ship and the rebelion has been wiped out for like a third time , why dose ANYONE trust them at all? How is it that a empire with a massive death rate that cant keep even their most important ships not-blown-up by a tiny gurilla force still have any pull in the galaxy and how the hell dose the rebelion, that has hurt their enemy so many times and yet still get some of their greatest heros killed have any support at all

>cishet white patriarchy doesn't want diversity

FTFY

They're the only ones that matter, so yeah, sure.

>in Star Wars AND in real life

There's a reason we have 7 Transformers movies.

I got a Moebius (drawer) with the room of Snoke and his guards. The shit was pretty cool.

> the rebelion has been wiped out for like a third time , why dose ANYONE trust them at all?
Hilariously, TLJ seems to agree with your when Leia call for ships to help them on salt world, and literally the entire galaxy ignores her.. How they plan to make another movie after this, I'm not sure.

They might do something interesting with it, but at the same time they might not. Still i liked what they did with TLJ and i hope that "killing the past" is somethign that will really go down and they will take this shit in a new direction

>It's almost as if going in a new direction and/or having callbacks are entirely unrelated to the quality of a movie.

Except most of the criticism is not about the actual quality, but mythology/fan theory shit.

Cause everyone agrees that Canto Bight sucks. But complaining about Luke's past, whether or not Leia has powers, Rey's parents, Phasma's past/future, Snoke's past, or that everyone fails as is more about lore than it is about the actual quality of the film.