How do you get someone else in your group to GM if everyone else prefers no game over ever giving you a break?

How do you get someone else in your group to GM if everyone else prefers no game over ever giving you a break?

Town of barely 4-digit population, there are no "other people" or "other groups" to form or join here. I've been trying for going on half a decade now.

Don't. Embrace your destiny. It will be less painful if you don't fight it.

Then maybe take a break.

I have. Which means no game, period.

I don't mind GMing. I can even enjoy it for a little while. But always doing it sucks any enjoyment out of the hobby, and I have enough real-life junk going on that I don't even have the time for GM prep and coordinating players at this point.

it's called "The Internet"

"hey XYZ I want someone else to GM so I can be a player a bit"

Pry some sort of interest out of them- an experiment, a one-shot, any system, a board game, SOMETHING ran by someone else. When my current campaign ends, I know people will want me back at some point, but there will at least be a few sessions of other people taking over.

>I have. Which means no game, period.
That's what they want you to think. You have to remember that they're in the same boat as you - no game exists if you aren't GMing it. And they obviously want to play, otherwise they would find something less niche and time consuming. They only say that they just wouldn't play if they had to GM because they know that you're never going to call their bluff. If you take a break, I guarantee one of them will crack.
It's how I stopped being forever GM at least.

Go find a game on Roll20. I've had several fun games on there. The thing you have to worry about are flakes leaving the game and it getting canceled but once you get a good group or find a player you have fun with. STAY IN CONTACT WITH THEM! That way when you are planning on having another game you can call on people you've had fun with in the past.

Better than pushing them to run and then the games are terrible to the point you hate going.

Create a ridiculous companion character, clone him four times, then run through a published adventure. Instant solo run.

the games I play don't generally have roll20 entries, and if they do, they're voice-based; I don't hear well at all and can't keep up as a result.

Were it only so easy for them to not just say "no" and leave it alone forever.

It just results in OP's games getting stale because he's not into it or tired.

End the module, have a happy ending, leave space for a sequel, then this

I mean if you're really getting sick of it and they don't want to do it, AT ALL, then your group has pretty much reached it's natural conclusion.

>Were it only so easy for them to not just say "no" and leave it alone forever.
Again, they just want you to think that. They know that saying "I just won't play" is enough to keep you on their leash; it's just big talk they know they'll never have to live up to. Call their bluff, just stop GMing until one of them bites the bullet. The worst thing that can happen is you get some time to pursue other hobbies or find an online group that actually likes the hobby they partake in.
Or you could just let people walk all over you because you have no self respect.

Even if they aren't bluffing I don't know Id want to play with them anymore anyways. Relationships are give and take and you don't want to be the groups bitch because it won't end with being perma GM. That no one else is willing to TRY is a bad sign.

Consider moving. Seriously, that sounds like a hellscape to me.

Financially bound here unfortunately.

If you don't want to GM and you wouldn't want to play with them if they were to GM, why are you still playing with them?

fpbp

The problem here is that you're probably the only one to really care. Every-fucking-where, the person with the upper hand is the person who cares the less.

> You'll get a better paygrade if you're a minimalist and can live off a side job you already have.

> Your girlfriend will like you more if you point the door / answer harshly when she shit-test you.

> You can be arrogant / insulting and make outrageous demand with fairly good results if you're browsing a new car in december and your exchange is a pick-up truck.

> It's easier to convince others to DM if, when other people refuse to take the mantle, you come up with a "Well, I always wanted to do X, seems a perfect time to do so. See you guys in six months. Maybe."

> Your girlfriend will like you more if you point the door / answer harshly when she shit-test you.

> Honey, does that dress makes me look fat?

> I don't think you'd be stupid enough to buy a dress that's make you look fat.

or

> Don't blame the dress, it can't defend itself.

or

> My back tells me your whole wardrobe must have taken 20 pounds.

just admit you're a farmer, dude. there's no shame in it.

(well, ok, some shame, but wear it like armor?)

Farmers are why we can eat, dude. No shame.

t. city bloke, but close enough to rural areas that I understand the impact

Not a farmer, but I do work with them a lot. No shame.