So there's the light side and the dark side of the force

So there's the light side and the dark side of the force

any other sides? grey sides? Blue side? Yellow side? Wouldn't it be interesting to see the force users on an alignment or color chart rather than just white and black? Like a spectrum of force users? Kind of like how there were only green and yellow lanterns, but now we have all different colors.

Also why don't we see light saber shields and power armor jedi?

Other urls found in this thread:

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aing-Tii
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Not really, no. The force is ultimately dualistic, either a dichotomy of repressed control of emotion vs self destructive embracing of it , or just good vs evil if you're George Lucas.

I've personally like the idea that it's less "light vs dark" and more "shallow vs deep", with the force as a kind of psychospiritual ocean. Jedi tread water on the surface, sacrificing the potential for power for assuredness that they won't drown. Sith dive down and find a much deeper well of power, but it will drag you down farther than you can survive if you let your guard down. And you will let your guard down, it's just a matter of when.

Because that's not what Star Wars was about.

The thing you are describing is more something out of a high tech GURPS game or some other genre of game.

> Wouldn't it be interesting to see the force users on an alignment or color chart rather than just white and black?
No, it would be unnecessary. Any “grey Jedi” eventually pick a side when conflict arises and the cycle of light and dark continues, kinda the whole point to Star Wars
>Also why don't we see light saber shields and power armor jedi?
“Jedi aren’t supposed to be warriors” is probably what the order would tell you, besides their light sabers can already do anything a shield can do, and the force can make them stronger than any power armor can, so it’s kinda a moot point

Lucas' original conception of the Force is not dualistic. There is no light side. There is the Force, and then there's its cancerous underside.

You do realize light and dark aren't colors, right?

>repressed control of emotion
That - and the creepy virgin jedi - only came in the prequels. The original jedi were not emotionless weirdos, they just avoided being total cunts.

There is no light side, there is only the Force and the corruption of it which we call dark.

The original jedi weren't well explores.
The movies didn't showed their philosophies.

>any other sides? grey sides? Blue side? Yellow side? Wouldn't it be interesting to see the force users on an alignment or color chart rather than just white and black? Like a spectrum of force users?
Reminds me of "color apocalypse" thing Veeky Forums took and autismo'd the fuck up.

So no. No and no and leave SW lore alone, it's suffering enough as is.

>All these fucking fallen Jedi man, darksiders, Sith...
>I hear you, how do we stop it happening with out students?
>Hey I've got a great idea: how about when we train up the next batch we just tell them to stop feeling stuff?
>Like, tell them not to feel anger and hate?
>No we tell them not to feel anything: no anger, no shame, no love, nothing
>Ok, ok, let me see if I understand you here; you want us to get a bunch of kids, train them to be physically fit, teach them how to use the Force, to literally be able to sense each others emotions, and when puberty kicks in you expect them to not be humping like rabbits?
>It'll totally work

No. There is light and dark side of the force. The force is in "balance" not when there is just enough good and evil, but when evil is destroyed so that all living things are in balance.

The force is tied to all living things. The light side of the force is tied to kindness, empathy, peace, living in harmony with nature, and is good. The dark side of the force is tied to hatred, cruelty, war, destruction of nature, and is evil.

Muh light and dark side gray jedi garbage isn't according to the original vision of the force.

There can’t be darkness without light, either get rid of the terms light side and dark side all together or leave it be dude

>There can't be evil without good.
Found the sith.

Your post made me think way more than it should have.

I’m just criticizing the terminology you’re using; having no “light side” and only a “dark side” makes no sense.

Might’ve worded this a little weirdly, but if you use the phrase “dark side” to name the “perversion of the force,” the natural state of the force automatically becomes the “light side”

That might have been true originally, but the Last Jedi retconned it. Apparently the Force is both dark and light now, and when one side is too strong, the Force produces more of the other.

There is only a "light side" for the purpose of having an opposite of the "dark side". There isn't really a light side, there is the Force as it should be and the corrupting cancer that is the dark side.

It doesn't make sense.
Why hate even exist if the force didn't wanted it? I mean, the force is in all living things right?

I don't know. I've always seen the force as something separate to the philosophies of the Jedi or sith. Thee midichlorians play a big part in it too. Something like the force is like a river, the midichlorians would be like boats(except sentient) in said river. Living creatures in the Star wars Galaxy would be on those boats. The Jedi concept of the "light"side of the force would be one who rides with the currents, in harmony with the midichlorians. The "dark" side would be one who commandeers the boat and does their own thing for good or ill, effectively controlling the midichlorians.

I think the real problem is a polarised, antagonistic approach when interacting with a cyclical, self-adjusting system.

I recommend reading the Tragedy of Man, it really showcases the dynamic between the "light side" and the "dark side" in the good cop bad cop routine God and Mephistopheles are pulling on Adam and Eve.

I see are know very little about star wars. Perhaps you should go peruse a wiki.

The Force isn't God. It doesn't want things.

>not dualistic
>the Force
>and its cancerous underside
That is literally dualistic.

One of my favorite star wars characters I played was a dude from some back water planet who used the force emotionally. I had to miss a few sessions, so I was introduced later and picked up by the party who happened to find me. What the GM neglected to mention was that there was a proper jedi in the party who was very uncomfortable when I started throwing angry lightning and even more uncomfortable when I pulled some uncle iroh shit to explain myself by saying something along the lines of there being no light and dark, just the force flowing through everything and the people who use it.

We weren't using any star wars system, just the psionics shit from 3.5 (this was a long time ago). I was a Wilder, and that's how I fluffed my class ability.

Didn't Yoda expressly tell Luke to let his friends die and keep working out?

In universe there's a school of thought that DOES understand the force as a colour spectrum.

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aing-Tii

As for saber shields and power armour? Power armour would be too restrictive for most force users, but there are some examples of force users in the EU who wear much heavier armours. Sith Shields exist as well - they're not quite saber shields, but if you want sword and board in the SW universe it exists.

No. Yoda told him if he left he would make things worse in the long run. He said nothing about death or dying. And he did.

Dualism implies a parity between opposing forces. Me and my tumors are not equal.

It worked for a thousand years.

The jedi disagree.

It didn't. The most infamous siths have always been ex-jedi

Episodes 1-6 never mentioned a "light side"

And that's what's hilarious about the people discussing the light and dark sides. the force has a dark side to it, but it isn't seperate or even different from the force. The force is one thing, and the dark side of it is simply the side of the force rarely discussed, worked with, and can cause many issues for those who work with it.

It isn't a duality - it's simply the parts of the force that are unsafe for exploring.

There are more force users and force-using organizations than just jedi and sith. The movies just don't really mention them.

The fact that there were no sith left to fight was probably a bigger influence on that than the revised jedi code.

Not to mention that lots of other force users did just fine while having feelings and attachments. The Corellian and Altisian Jedi, the Matukai, the Luka Sene and the Zeison Sha, to name a few.
Not to mention the entire Miraluka species, who are all force sensitive and are largely light-side aligned despite having families, feelings and attachments.

So in short, the whole "feelings and attachments lead to the dark side" bit being bullshit is a provable fact in-universe, not just an opinion.

See theseYou can’t just call it the “dark side” that’s dumb, that’s like saying, “there can’t be good, only neutral and evil”

Faggots saying the dark side is a "corruption", something that has neither light nor dark can't be corrupted, the jedi work WITH the force and allow it to guide them most of the time while the sith bind the force to their will and use it as they see fit.

That's not what that means at all.

>See these
While I agree that the term "dark side" invites the thought that there must be a light one, it's actually the same logic as in the phrase "dark corners of the city", just somewhere you shouldn't go

>using the dark side turns you into a veiny, yellow-eyed cackling sociopath
>not corruption
Whatever you say user.

You don't corrupt the force, you corrupt yourself via dark side practices

Sheev was already a power hungry maniac, what makes sense. It's the people who do it to themselves, the Force is an ultimately impartial...well, force. People are the problem with its misuse. It's a power comprising all life in the galaxy, if not the universe, such a power is bound to be beyond the scope of a single mortal.

I like this explanation the best similar to your explanation, except it kinda acknowledges the change in narrative between trilogies and the EU

>Also why don't we see light saber shields and power armor jedi?
Lightsaber shields aren't a thing (yet), and armor would just slow them down, although Kenobi did wear some during the Clone Wars cartoons.

I'm pretty sure midichlorians have been hand waved out of the lore.

They have not at all been handwaved out. The prequels and TCW are still canon.

Nature and corruption

I only walk down light alleys at noon.

Do people talk about them a lot...? Luke skipped that part of the lesson when he was explaining the nature of the Force and how it connects all things in the most recent movie, didn't he? I think it was a bad idea that should have been vetoed when Lucas shoved it in, and seems like most of the serious canon has edged away from it.

The CGI show did have what were basically force field bucklers, would work quite well with a lightsaber.

A poor student, you make.

I ain't never seen a boat in star wars