Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/: Post non-traditional barbarians.

How do I farm (You)s on /5eg/?

Martials are shit, caster overpowerment is stupid. Why are you people
still playing D&D in 2017 when we have lots of other systems which are much more refined than this unbalanced shit?

What other systems would you recommend? Legitimate question.

This hugely depends on what you need. However, for standard medieval fantasy, my go-to system is Mythras and I highly recommend it.

3.5 or Pathfinder

Fuck no. Why would you try to substitute cancer with more cancer?

Same user, I've found a way!

>guys I'm sick or this shit, what should I do
>try this diarrhea

Mike Mearls has being promoted to Franchise Creative Director, what does this mean?

Pretty sure That Guy's an autistic troll.

It may mean he stays away from mechanical design, which means no more hexblade tier shenanigans.

A larger salary presumably?

>What other systems would you recommend?
If you want satisfying martial characters, than all you have to do is look back one edition.

Sit down. Read that the 4e fighter does. And realize that some genuinely good ideas got tossed out because WoTC was in the process of over-correcting.

You disgust me, in the same way Pathfinder does.

>/5eg/
We're all autistic trolls on this blessed day :^)

>Tfw I also got only one (You)
Keksimus Maximus

If a paladin is flying, swimming, or otherwise unable to strike the ground, can they cast Destructive Wave?

Nope. It specifically says "You strike the ground" why are you even asking this?

Yes. The spell has no somatic components, and no targeting requirements. "strike the ground" is just a a fluff bit.

If strike the ground was part of the rules, then it wouldn't mean the paladin was unable to cast it. It means that destructive wave would literally cause the paladin to strike the nearest piece of ground, which could involve breaking the sound/light speed barriers, or even intraplanar travel. But that's just fluff, so we don't have to worry about it.

No, you can not ignore spell descriptions.

>My magic missiles are giant ponnies and it does necrotic damage because that stuff is just fluff.

That is just fluff user. Whether the magic missiles are "ponnies", penises, or darts, they'll have the same rules effects, but description wise they can be whatever you want.

Ask your dm. End of story

You just do it anyway.

It's not a requirement, it's an effect of the spell..

The paladin strikes the ground in any imaginable manner, such as eye lasers. It's magic.

I'd say yes, since it only has a verbal component

Can you cast burning hands if you have a weapon in one hand? Or do you have to touch thumbs?

No that is obviously a condition that is needed to be met in order to cast the spell. It's like saying I don't need any water to cast "Shape Water" because that part is just fluff.

On what basis are you saying it is a fluff? Does "Shillegah's" wood club part also considered fluff? So I can create a war maul. If your answer is no, then how are you separating this two?

You can do that with a weapon in your hand.

Fireball says stuff about a mote of fire leaping from one's fingertip, but that's an effect of the spell, not a requirement.

user, water is required for shape water because it is the target of the spell: note how the stuff mentioning water has clear rules language like "range" or rules defining the area.

But the spell is called Burning Hands(plural) not Burning Hand(singular).

Somatic requirements means you have to have at least one, but not all hands free.

A spell's name can be figurative and not be representative of the spell.
Mage armor is not armor.
If you have multiple sets of hands, how many of them do you need to use for Burning Hands?

These two reads nearly identical;
>Magic Missile
You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range.
>Destructive Wave
You strike the ground, creating a burst of divine energy that ripples outward from you.

Yet you are calling one fluff, not both.

You can still do that, with two hands while holding a weapon with one.

Uh no user. I'm calling the "darts" fluff, because you can make magic missile penises for all I care.

What isn't fluff however is the force damage and range requirements of magic missile. Your "ponnies" whatever the hell that is, can't deal necrotic damage, because that is rules.

Similarly, destructive wave striking the ground is a fluff bit, not reflected in the spellcasting components.

Or, striking the ground is a result of a successful cast.

>You create three glowing darts of magical force.
I don't think three part is fluff and I wouldn't think you would accept it as such. Then why are you saying striking the ground part is fluff when it is clear you create said energy by "striking the ground".
How are you separating the rules from fluff at this point?

Exactly. That's the more logical reading of "striking the ground" as rules text, but it still results in the problem of the paladin getting access to a version of planeshift if you're playing in the elemental plane of water.

Spell has a somatic component and even describes how the somatic works. Plus phb even has a picture.

Even name of spell indicates multiple hands.
Plus somatic requires minimum one free hand.

It definitely requires two hands.

They strike the ground with divine eye lasers, without moving from their position, the eye lasers are also invisible. No contradiction.

You ever make a character and then it hits you that you basically made a characther from from another medium
I made a high elf monk from a noble family who's family takes in a human child who planned to kill them and steal there wealth and artifacts including one that turns him into a vampire.
So my guy survived and had to learn the way of the sun soul
I basically made D&d Johnathon Joestar

My group swaps DMs for yawning portal games.
My character died in Forge of Fury, and I'm DMing Tamoachan.
My new character is from Tamoachan, I intend to introduce them late into Tamoachan, so when White Plume comes around, I'll play him.
It's an ancient not!Aztec warrior emerging from a shrine to a vampire god.
I may have made a pillar man.

I make those on purpose for shits and giggles
My DM allows the use of Variant Human to play races that aren't in 5e yet, as long as they're humanoid, like Thri-Kreen
So I made a mercenary Thri-Kreen Shadow Monk, VHuman feat Magic Initiate (Cleric) for Bane, Sacred Flame and Word of Radiance, that wore a mask and introduced himself as the Mosquito Man
it took the DM about 8 sessions before he realized that I'm playing a living Banepost, and even then it was only when I started quoting the "You merely adopted the darkness" part while beating a boss in a darkness I cast myself

I made a Dwarven veteran from a war who now works as a guide in a dungeon and cooks monsters to save on food costs. I read Dungeon Meshi a few months later.

In terms of personality and skillset they're otherwise quite different, but it's a rather specific race-quirk combination.

>8 sessions
What a hot head.

Does that mean you can't cast somatic spells while restrained?

If your hands are restrained, typically yes.

Depends on the means of restraining. Entangling Strike or Manacles? Probably not. But if you're halfway swallowed by a giant toad, it's probably possible to still use your hands.

Keep in mind that you can still attack while restrained, which also uses your hands, so there are a lot of cases where you can be restrained but you may have enough movement room.

Wouldn't Bane be a highly Charismatic Zealot barbarian ?
I mean, Grapple checks alone.

Well, I really wanted to play a monk back then

Whatever happens, it can't be worse than Jeremy "I Don't Understand Long Rests" Crawford.

How come every single Tiefling I have ever played with is a Sorc/Warlock?

They go together
Like orc/barbarian
Drow/rouge
Human/paladin

If he wasn't interested in continuing to Voice Act I guarantee he would have a high position in Wizard's D&D section

Because Sorcerer by itself is garbage, Warlock is a front-loaded class, and every CHA-based class synergises incredibly well together.

Because coffee's the devil's drink.

I joined a campaign a few months back with a Tiefling Barbarian. (Technically he plays SCAG Variant so he gets +2 Dex)

Guy is a pretty cool dude and a decent player. His backstory was that his family were the only Tieflings around and everyone treated them like shit. Any town they would settle into forced them out as soon as something bad happened to someone (Blaming them as devils). Eventually one day it got violent and his parents got slaughtered, he ran and got lost in the woods eventually being captured by a roving band of Barbarians. The Barbarians didn't really give a shit about race and didn't believe in Gods/Devils so after he showed a knack for fighting at his young age they took him in.

I mean every class he has made has been pretty good and Tal'dorei is very vanilla but well made.

As long as he isn't writing rules it would be fine/

Thats a very special snowfake combo
I respect it if he has a good background for it

On the note of making characters from media, how would you build Rance? I was thinking Oathbreaker using the smite as Rance Attack

>Aasimar ranger is the least played combo
welp guess that's what I'm playing next time

Hopefully that they hire someone more competent to do rules.

But crawford is still there, so who knows.

I didn't realize Dragonborn were that popular.

Your forgetting something

BUY
MY
GAME

argonians are like the most under appreciated race in skyrim though.

Nice thread title real minimalist

Happy Holidays!

At least he put /5eg/ in the post somewhere

Can someone please explain to me the human subraces? Not like variant the actual races of humanity

Half Elf Lore Bard X / Monk 1 / Draconic Bloodline Sorc 1 Master Race

AC calculations don't stack why would you do that?

Because tieflings have favorable stats. Your only other option for +2 cha is half elf and do you really want to play a half elf?

They're setting specific, iirc the ones in the PHB are forgotten realms. Don't worry too much about it unless you're playing there.

What do you guys do when players consistently come to the game unprepared? They have two weeks between sessions and only one of the four actually prepares their character.

I'm currently batting around the idea of just progressing through the story with their underdeveloped characters to teach them a lesson. You don't want to take the time to level up? Fine, deal with harder enemies the way you are. Don't want to purchase your gear? Then it looks like you don't get it this session.

Because fun.

Start the session a half-hour early to adjust for the time typically lost, if your schedule can make room for it.

>just half an hour early
Better hope they're not playing a full caster. People that don't read up or do some basic preparation beforehand should be banned from playing full casters.

I'm a bad GM so I have all the character sheets and stuff with me and level their characters up for them.

give them suboptimal options
either they do it themselves or they get gimped

Well you've got high humans, with a focus on honor and tradition. They receive a +2 boost to intelligence at the cost of -2 to strength, in addition to the standard human bonus. You've got regular humans, which just recieve the standard human bonus. Then you've got Dark Humans who receive a -2 to intelligence, but a +2 to strength, in addition to the regular human bonus.

So what would the rarity of this item be? What would the rarity become if I buffed it to also do this?

>"Spells you cast ignore resistances to lightning damage."

Should I remove force, necrotic, and radiant damage?

>Wrack my brains thinking how thrikeen fits in.
>Bane is human. You're a bug guy.
>Fuck.

Aasimar.

That, and the Mosquito Man (Masketta Man) deal fit there as well
I don't half ass my characters, even if they're made just for a joke

what did he do after he realized

I don't think that's acceptable. I understand your reasoning, but unless you have something going on that prevents you from doing your job as a player, then I shouldn't have to disrupt my schedule because they choose to be lazy.

Of the three that fuck about for two weeks, I know that two of them do nothing but sit at home getting drunk because they have nothing better to do (their words) and work 40 hours a week. The other does nothing all day. No job, stay at home mother. The kids goes down at 7pm every night and she does nothing productive with her time.

Everyone claims to love playing, but they refuse to do any of the miniscule amounts of bookkeeping needed to keep up with difficulty.

Uncommon.

Common items are largely useless, or if they are useful unreliable/consumed.

If it was 3 times per day you could drop the rarity to common, but otherwise uncommon.

Even if it could ignore resistances to lightning damage?

Reminder that PCs can't breathe RAW so if your dm doesn't say your characters all suffocate the moment you make them you're playing homebrew trash.

....?

Reminder that not all homebrew is bad homebrew, and there are right and wrong ways of critiquing it.

But user, don't every DM say at least every minute your character is breathing?

But... Without Homebrew I'd have to calculate silly things like copper pieces and how many rations I have for the day... Or stuff to make a fire... Or all that other story draining nonsense

>"jesus fucking christ user"
>"are you fucking serious"
>insert multiple threats of booting me from the table because "you're not taking the game seriously"
>counterargumented by the fact 2 players had made fucking anime MCs as their characters and he doesn't mind that, and I do play my char about as serious as everyone else
>keep playing
>every next character he just looks at me trying to figure out what joke I'm trying to get past him
>doesn't get any of them
in out last campaign I've played pic related as a Moon druid that fucking hates Drow and underdark in general

?

One option is to give them a message a few days before the session. Tell them "Just a quick reminder to double check and go through your characters (level up, get gear, prepare spells, etc.). I'll be running under the assumption that everyone's prepared. Looking forward to (vague description about upcoming events)." That way you've warned them and you can shut down complaints.

Another option is if only one person is prepared, confront it head on at the table. Once everyone is sitting down and can hear you say "Hey (Prepared Player), thanks for doing the prep ahead of time and showing respect to everyone at the table. As a once only thing, have some inspiration for this session. Everyone else, if you haven't preapred yourself, we start as is."
If they complain, just respond "improvise, adapt, overcome".

>People that don't read up or do some basic preparation beforehand should be banned from playing full casters.
Yup! I gave my wizard a few sessions leeway just to get used to it. After that if we started a session and she hadn't prepared spells, then tough, either it's the last list (if written down) or no prepared spells.

After a few sessions, the wizard ended up having a few prepared lists for different circumstances.

You're too nice to your players. It's the player's job is to know their characters. Maybe spend a session with players to map out their character progression? Gets everyone involved and gives players more agency over their development.

Good advice, thanks user

The actual condition Restrained doesn’t prevent Spellcasting.
If your hands are restrained, by manacles for example, you can’t complete the gestures needed to cast spells with somatic components.

It’s why binding and gagging spellcasters is a prudent strategy (yes, there are sorcerers with Subtle spell, but hey).

Because +2 CHA only goes with certain classes? The other two CHA classes are Bard and Paladin, and Paladin needs a primary attack stat that Tiefs don’t get. There’s no reason you couldn’t play a Lore bard tiefling effectively, but all boards rely on their dex a little lore than a sorc or Warlock does (a lack of good attack cantrips means they may want to use weapon attacks more if they don’t want to cast a spell)

>tfw playing a dragonborn bard
Feels pretty good