/GURPSgen/ GURPS General

Slightly better PDF edition
American English sub-edition

Previous thread
>

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20150501072317/https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40207800/MiscDev/MurderSim2015.exe)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Not Happy Christmas edition
My God Veeky Forums, have we really fallen so far?

*merry Xmas

Link to the combat cheat sheet is dead.
Text frame on page 4 has its border still visible.

Happy Christmas lads

What pyramid has the natural weapons advantage? I want to take a poke at it, for a character I'm making.

The war on Christmas continues

3/65

Thank you very much.

This didn't quite work(which is a shame), so I have to come to you all for advice.

What I'm trying to design, is a character that can summon a sword that he can wield with TK, to fight at a distance, or hold close to himself to use defensively. I'd also like to be able to use multiple at once, in case I ever grab Compartmentalized mind. Is there a good way to do this, or even a better way than using TK, that I'm unaware of?

How vital to the concept is the summoning part? Because that actually seems to be the hardest bit to do.

Snatcher with Recall and Accessibility lets you call your swords to you, but even assuming a maximum value Accessibility limitation that's still 28 points for an ability which doesn't seem that useful and it is slow and uses FP. You can bring the cost down by making it an alternative ability, since you're unlikely to be using it often; most of the time TK will get you your weapon more easily.

>summon a sword
Signature Gear
Cancellation, +10%; Summonable, +100%; Magical, -10%
>or
Innate Attack 1pt
Melee Attack, Range C, 1, -20%; ST-Based, +100%; Thrusting
Blade, +15%
>wield with TK
SG is gear already.
Gadget limitations
>able to use multiple at once
Buy extra copy of advantage per extra sword.

If you can create things out of telekinetic force, grab Snatcher with Creation and Obvious (I think that’s what it’s called—it’s the limitation that makes things look fake so you can’t pass it of as anything other than an artificial creation), plus some sort of limitation if you can ONLY create swords as opposed to general TK constructs.

Is GURPS good for a battle royal PvP style? I've read about the problem with feint but I think it's manageable online, is there anything else I need to worry about?

>What I'm trying to design, is a character that can summon a sword that he can wield with TK, to fight at a distance, or hold close to himself to use defensively.
This can also be emulated straight up as an innate attack, with the appropriate reach and damage(ST based sword +15%) and easily refluffed as sword skill based and benefiting from those parries and such.

You don't need to base this on TK, but if you're hell-bent on it, start with an appropriate level of TK and reach for that advantage, then sort out how you want your swords.
They can be Signature Gear, with modifiers for being Magic, Summonable things
They can be brought in with a limited Snatcher, with similar modifiers as above
They could even be crazy-ass Allies bought with a highly limited racial template for their form, and then they buy up stuff as magic weapon friends(all adjudicated for an NPC by the GM of course)

Merry XXXmas from /d/.

What special holidays do you have in your campaigns Gurpsgen?

Ok, got one simple question. How in all that is holy, are characters supposed to cast a spell such as Lich (cost 100 minimum) or worse Wraith (cost 500-100) without spending about 2000 CP in FP? All I find is powerstones storing a measly 20 FP.

>Merry XXXmas from /d/.
Y-you too!

Slow and sure enchantment.
Ceremonial casting with a fleet of followers.
Places of power that grant free energy.

There's a reason liches tend to have hordes of thralls or lairs in magically potent areas and spend so much time sequestered in their towers pouring over tomes. Some GMs may also allow for energy from sacrifices (which also fits with the evil theme)--GMs looking for a more high-power game can let characters burn character points, granting I believe 20 energy per point.

elf sluts

Is the archive missing anything apart from the latest pyramid?

If not, is it worth me buying pyramid for the thread because it's Christmas or will someone with a subscription inevitably post it anyway?

Also, since it's the season of goodwill and I'm going to be bored tomorrow, I will research and write a mini article just for you guys if you can suggest a good idea for one. Should be do-able in twelve hours or less, so nothing too complex, please.

Not really, except exceedingly rare things that are not purchasable in pdf format

Make an article on how to make GURPS actually fun

Spend nights boosting your powerstones (you did get Solitary Ceremonial on your Magery, right?) by Quick and Dirty enchanting. Tell the party you're prepping the next days spells so you can't cook, clean, or stand a watch. If you do it right you can get two casts a night. In a year you should be able to cast whatever you want. If crit failures are a concern make sure you have Stable Casting on your Magery as well.

Powerstones are the reason wizards wear tall pointy hats. One powerstone goes in an ankle holster and the second one gets wedged up in the hat. As long as they are 6' apart they both charge.

>Make an article on how to make GURPS actually fun
For those without brains or imagination. The rest of us can figure it out ourselves.

Pyramid coverage has been spotty. I've bought an issue here or there to fill out the trove. I'm not sure if we have any regulars with a subscription.

Second line was supposed to be to . Too little nog in the whiskey.

I've been wanting to work on doing Getter Rays/Spiral Power as a power source aka psionics, would be neat to see someone's take on it. Obviously only if you're familiar with the source material, don't expect you to read an old super robot manga for some weirdo on tg.

Thanks for the help guys. I Think I'll stick with TK, since it allows the strongest versatility, and allows better scaling than pure innate attack traits. I just have a couple questions. Between the TK being sword only, and having reduced range, it will be well below -80%. Any good ideas for some enhancements to tack on that fit the concept, to help flesh it out? And secondly, are the two hands created by TK, "tethered" together? For example with this concept, if I have one set of TK hands(because no compartmentalized mind), and I'm holding one sword in each, can I have one sword 10 yards north of me, and one 5 yards to the south, or do the two hands have to stay next to each other?

>Holidays in game.

New Years Eve 1971 in the Cabrini-Green projects in Chicago turns into a brutal mix of The Warriors and Assault On Precinct 13 for three cops that had expected a relativity simple call and one ex-gang member turned marine on leave for the holidays.

>he thinks the math in GURPS is hard
The absolute state of europoor education

Yes the hands are tethered. If this bothers you and you have more than -80% in total, burn some of your extra off with Area of Effect; this lets you affect everything with X yards simultaneously. Everything is affected the same way (if you want to attack with some swords, throw a few, and leave a few for parrying, buy Compartmentalized Mind), but it can be good if you want to pick up nine spears and throw them for a ranged attack with RoF 1x9, TK grab an entire charging mob, or levitate the entire party.

>are the two hands created by TK, "tethered" together? For example with this concept, if I have one set of TK hands(because no compartmentalized mind), and I'm holding one sword in each, can I have one sword 10 yards north of me, and one 5 yards to the south, or do the two hands have to stay next to each other?

In my mind, TK isn't exactly two virtual limbs, but a zone of control which has roughly the equivalent manipulating capacity as two hands, so it can use two-handed weapons, hold objects which need to be stabilised at multiple points, operate several controls at once and so on. I think holding two weapons a long distance apart would be beyond that capacity, so maybe you could add an enhancement to allow you to do that? Area Effect maybe?

I asked before but I'm not sure I got an answer, are there rules for recovery from a broken bone/lasting crippled limb other then in the recovery chapter? It seems really weird at TL 6 it takes Surgery to heal a broken arm in weeks rather then months.

Bio-Tech lets it be done with Physician skill, but otherwise all you really get is a little more detail. Low-Tech and Low-Tech Companion 1 have some more stuff, but again it's just a little more detail.

Fuck you, but you're right. Also i'm mildly drunk. Merry Christmas guys!

What problem with feint?

Normally nothing. In a PvP context, though, there's the issue in that you're not supposed to know that you've been feinted. That makes it difficult when the person you're fighting is right across the table from you and will hear to say "Jean attempts to feint Raul."

Honestly, though, I would just ditch feints. They're a 3e development that (clumsily, in my opinion) tried to fill the niche that is currently filled much more effectively by deceptive and setup attacks. Having feints as an option alongside deceptive and setup attacks seems unnecessary to me. I may be alone in that opinion, however.

Does this look dumb to you? It looks dumb to me.

MA101:
One way to remove the temptation to act on gaming-
table knowledge in the game is to have all combatants
declare feints and Ruses when they execute them . . . but to
roll the Quick Contest the instant before the attack it would
affect. Treat the Quick Contest and the attack roll as a single
action. Nobody can trigger a Wait in between! Nervous
fighters are free to flee from every opponent who gets tricky,
but they can’t selectively react to successful feints.
On the other hand, a failed feint or Ruse is obvious. The
same goes for any Beat, successful or not – this isn’t a sub-
tle maneuver!

Does this look smart to you? It looks smart to me.
I don't play GURPS, though, so what do I know?

Here's a table generated with the second set of formulas ("A single breakpoint at ST 30").

Merry christmas, the slightly better pdf is your present.

[Murder Simulator Archive] (web.archive.org/web/20150501072317/https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40207800/MiscDev/MurderSim2015.exe)

>starting points are equal for all characters in the party
Now that's what I call a leftist commie system baka.

>not rolling (3d+2)*20 for starting points

I think someone in a recent thread mentioned something about using Fright Checks as a better alternative to The Last Gasp. Are any details available?

I am thinking about getting into GURPS. Is there a pdf trove of supplements?

No. Buy the books.

Thats a lot of cash to put out before I am interested in the system. Im probably going to pass and stick with my other systems then. Thanks for your reply!

This is just a half-remembered version of the list he gave, but basically user was able to get the more hesitant approach to combat TLG aims for by making heavy use of the rules from Tactical Shooting and a tiny blurb in Powers about charing into lethal situations (p. P194-195). There were more things, but IIRC those were the major bits. 4plebs should have the thread archived if you want to check the original post.

Check the OP
You really should buy, but with a system as large as GURPS, downsampling can be a necessity.

Why don't SJGames just ditch the standard Magic system and replace it with RPM? It objectively the best magic system there is - flexible, balanced, flavourful, customizable. Unlike retarded shit like vanilla Magic, Sorcery or syntactic magic.

Right in the op, dude.

Buy them after though. Theyre a reasonable price on amazon.

Eh, sort of better. Better than Vanilla and syntactic. Sorcery is arguably better, especially with a few more limitations for flavor.

The basic magic system is well, basic. To you and I it's boring but to newbies it's fine. RPM leverages the rest of GURPS to work and that's awesome once you know GURPS but overwhelming if you don't. Personally I want RPM Extended. Pyramid 3/66 was a great start, but there was a lot it only touched on for space reasons.

I also want to see more detail on Threshold Limited Magery. It can be used with any system that uses energy (including RPM), but the Thaumatology book doesn't give detail on how to make your own calamity tables, other than the GM can. I want a proper guide.

Any opinions? I think I remember that someone in a recent thread mentioned that GURPS has been using this damage table literally since First Edition. I can't imagine that everyone is happy with the current damage table. Surely SOMEone else is autistic as I am...

-2 to swing damage is easier than this autistic formulae desu senpai

Just use KYOS

Too unbalanced and too much "i dunno ask your GM"-things.
While standard magic give you what you pay for. No overthinking, no GM reading vs Player reading, no twenty-six variant of same old fireball.

Is there a comparison of the different 'martial arts' skills anywhere? Brawling, Boxing, Sumo Wrestling, Wrestling, etc..?

Don't blame the system, blame the GMs

RPM is unbalanced, and it does require significant GM oversight. It's also almost impossible to make a setting with it as anything other than new, secret magic. You can't have a standard D&D-esque fantasy game with it. It's too powerful.

>RPM is unbalanced
Uh, proofs? Other points are not arguments against the systems, but against the GMs.

Technical Grappling takes a look at the different grappling skills, but it does so in the context of the new TG grappling system; most of what it says is applicable to the default grappling system, but a good chunk of it is TG-specific.

As for the striking skills,
>Brawling
+Easy
+Full body, including bites and attacks with non-human parts
-Less of a damage bonus compared to Boxing/Karate

>Boxing
+Better damage bonus compared to Brawling
+Retreat for +3 to Parry
-Punches only
-Penalized parry vs kicks

>Karate
+Better damage bonus compared to Brawling
+Retreat for +3 to Parry
+No penalty for parrying weapons unarmed
-Encumbrance penalizes skill
-Hard

The short version is that Brawling is superior is you aren't investing a lot of points into a backup unarmed skill--it being Easy means you get better with less points invested. Karate is superior if you are going to be fighting armed opponents as it's the only skill that sheds the -3 Parry vs. swung weapons, but it being Hard means you need to invest a good number of points before seeing a return on your investment (or any bonus damage). Boxing is somewhere in the middle; no encumbrance penalty means you can use it while heavily armored while retaining Karate's damage bonus and retreat bonus AND it's a step easier, but -3 Parry vs. weapons and -2 vs Kicks means it still sort of stinks in terms of defense.

Do you play or GM long (8+) games with RPM?

No, do you?

Path of Crossroads lets you zoop armies around wherever you please, Path of Body lets you genocide every baby and chicken in a kingdom, and I don't even need to elaborate on the myriad applications Path of Chance has that completely destroy your traditional medieval setting. There is also the issue of how places of power work, because they're recursive. The more you use a place of power, the stronger it gets over time, incentivizing you to continue to use it, making it stronger, etc.; and then there's voluntary sacrifice, where you can easily get a mass of followers to give you free energy, which kingdoms can certainly provide. This means energy is a meaningless factor for balance, so it all comes down to imagination and time to cast. If you allow Ritual Adept, time is no longer a factor.

This is my experience also and we were playing a new, secret magic modern era game. Maybe my players are too imaginative and I'm just not heavy-handed or clever enough or just arbitrarily shit on their good ideas. RPM took a lot of work to arbitrate on my part and ended up being the "I win" button for the players. I've tried it three times now with three different groups and it always ended the same.

Sorcery, on the other hand, does have a consistent, rational balance metric built in.

>I cannot handle my players use RPM

Nice try sperg. More like "why have rules if they're so vague you have to improvise everything anyway."

t. triggered DF player

Can somebody sell me on gurps? Like say for example I wanted to run a game about used car salesmen competing to out sell each other. Could it handle it?

Yes

Yes and it would be awesome

Happy Christmas ya filthy animals!

Grimwyrd is getting a setting treatment! Drunken post 1 complete on kendelyzer.wordpress.com !

Nobody cares about your "lol so epiccc xd" game. Especially when you can't spell duergar or the title of the game consistently.
kys, tripfag

Theoretically, yes. Practically, I don't think any RPG would work particularly well with this setup. Too little direct interaction, too much economics. I always feel that board games work better for such things.

No. Untill release of GURPS High-tech economics.
For something like medieval or transgalactic merchant, yes, you can.

Fugg off, it's a fun read even if it isn't true.

RPM gets ridic with inventive players, yeah. The problem with it is energy gathering, and all the sources of free energy. To limit it you just have to change the energy source.
Effect shaping gives it a nice linear progression, unlike energy gathering's wtfgods-scaling.
Threshold limited magery sets a nice cap for the general thing and stops mages just tossing spells around willy-nilly.

> The more you use a place of power, the stronger it gets over time
Just don't use that rule.

Somebody got assraped for the holidays. Poor faggot. I wish I could be sorry nobody loves you but I can see why.

Even having limits on energy doesn't help. Suitably creative minor things are often as derailing or more than earth-shattering wide-ranging effects. The whole thing is a brakes off improv fest, which is fine except that it bills itself as a system to rein in arbitrariness. Aside from all that, with the three groups I used RPM with spells took as much table time to use, because of the built-in on-the-fly-tweaks, as building Sorcery spells does. Without having the benefit of instant re-use that comes with Sorcery spells.

RPM was fun but it was more work than it was worth and wasn't more fun than the alternatives. After testing all of the available magic systems or frameworks, including several custom ones or ports from other systems, Sorcery hits all the high points with none of the downsides. As an added bonus system mastery gained building Powers carries directly over to building Sorcery spells and vice-versa. The same can't really be said for RPM.

Then why the hell does everyone drool all over RPM on GURPS Discord like it's a slavic camwhore?

It's very fun and flexible. I find limiting people to spells they know and have fully written up generally works, but does hurt the raw flexibility of the spell.. But at least then you won't need to adjudicate full new spells very often.

Thanks, I like those things.

Because RPM is more flexible than spells as skills, Ravenpenny is a prolific author and a gifted improvisational GM, it game out two years before Sorcery and had more time to build momentum, and a host of other related reasons. Ultimately it works well enough for them. None of those things change the fact that Sorcery is objectively better for my play style and groups in the nearly two years I've used it compared to the prior two years of using RPM. I'm not alone in my view but my view also isn't the end-all-be-all solution for everybody. However, even the supporters of RPM see the problems I have with it as problems, or at least potential problems, and agree that Sorcery doesn't suffer from those particular problems. Some of them have issues with Sorcery where I don't.

Because RPM is really nice when you play it like old autistic neckbeard: you know your players very well fot years and you fully rebuild RPM system within your setting and fine tuned it so all "surprises and holes" removed or at least they not affecting your "balance"

>like it's a slavic camwhore
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
Sorry.

Because it's GURPS and everyone tweaks it to their liking. I spelled out my tweaks. Effect shaping really does reign it in and make it quite nice, despite of what says.
It's what Ravenpenny uses in his campaigns IIRC. It's faster and it stops the excess of exponential power that energy gathering has.

Heck, that's a solid way to put it. I'd be the first to agree about RPM's faults and tendency to descend into Calvin-ball without someone to hold it in check.

>corpse eater pc insults half-orc bandit leader
>half-orc bandit leader is strong (st 15) and has wrestling, so challenges corpse eater to wrestling match
>corpse eater is not a wet noodle (st 12, wrestling 14), so he accepts
>before the match, cleric casts a spell to boost corpse eater's ST to 17
>wrestling match ends with the half-orc getting half his face eaten
>corpse eater gets swarmed by bandits
>dwarf metal elementalist comes from off-site, having been casting body of metal the whole fight
>shitstorm ensues.

tune in next week to see if the corpse eater lives or dies!

Metal Elementalist sounds like a great name for a band

>swarmed by bandits
How close they was to them?
Every fucking time when i planned similar scenes they was ruined by fact that everyone on 1 second scale is like caffeine addicts on cocaine.

They were about 5 or so yards away, within running distance. Most of the bandits in the fort were watching the fight.

What's your experience with Monster Hunters? I'd like to start a campaign based on the game with the same name.

High powerlevel unplayable crap, wich give birth to best magic system. And also some ugly splatbook pretending to be X-COM.

Monster Hunters is about monster hunters more along the lines of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and whatnot.

Monster Hunter the game is quite a bit different, what with mainly being about going 1v1 against dinosaurs and making equipment out of them.

So it's about supernatural monsters and not fantasy ones? I don't really care about magic, I prefer to have low fantasy brutal monster hunting and crafting weapons and armor out of their corpses.

Think more Monster Hunters Inc, Supernatural, or even Delta Green. Standard Dungeon Fantasy suitably reskinned is probably more what you're looking for.

You only say it's unplayable because nobody will play with you. It's okay though you pathetic faggot. You can get the bare minimum of social interaction here. We don't care that not even your mother can stand you. Get it all out and try to stave off the darkness for one more hour.

Christ dude calm your tits. It’s Christmas.

Which is exactly why I was offering warmth and comfort to Salty the Grinch.

Calm down mate