So... I've been playing around with this idea for an RPG system for a while now...

So... I've been playing around with this idea for an RPG system for a while now. Basically it would follow a "flat" devolvement platform where characters are built purely off templates that you "stack" on top of each other. Then, after a few sessions you would add another one or be given the option of changing a preexisting one that isn't fully compatible with the others in a given situation. Eventually you would go up to another "tier" where you could add new templates or advance preexisting ones into a better version of the prior ones. However, the main deal here is that all the templates are flat. There aren't levels, gradients, or anything like that. The end result is that character development would end up looking like the tumblers in a lock. For example...

Fighter Guy Tier One

>Light Armor

>Basic Weapon Competency

>Swordsman "Skilled"

>Bowman "Skilled"

>Can ride and tame war mounts

Fighter Guy Tier One advanced slightly

>Light armor and Heavy Armor (as the situation demands)

>Basic Weapon Competency

>Swordsman "Skilled"

>Bowman "Skilled"

>Can ride and tame war mounts

Fighter Guy Tier Two

>Light armor and Heavy Armor (as the situation demands)

>Skilled Weapon Competency

>Swordsman "master"

>Bowman "Master"

>Can ride and tame exotic mounts

>Can bear magic weapons for a time without dying

>Can feel magical energies when near them

>Military strategies and tactics

Fighter Guy Tier Three (final tier)

>Light armor Second Skin and Heavy Armor Second Skin (as the situation demands)

>Master Weapon Competency

>Swordsman "Grand Master"

>Bowman "Grand Master"

>Can ride and tame supernatural mounts

>Can Bear Magic Weapons and partially control them.

>Can actively sense magical energies with all common senses

>Master of military strategies and tactics

In the end you wouldn't have the massive head ache that compromises extensively crunchy system, but you wouldn't have the nebulous nonsense that defines "rules light."

Other urls found in this thread:

goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-glog.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It doesn't seem to me that you have any idea of how to pull this off. If you're gonna have that many "templates", it'll be a ridiculously crunchy system.

Stop putting spaces between your lines of text, holy fuck.

Also that idea is terrible

If you are going to use templates to build things, I suggest that you do not use double-spaced ones.

Kind of hard seeing how there aren't any numbers. The basic idea is flat progression with more active abilities than just boring lifeless bonuses to hit or raw damage upgrades. A swordsman comes in three tiers of skill, that's it. Each tier can do more things and maneuvers and would have additional free form options. None would hit harder, or have additional charts, or other need for mathematical bullshit.

>Stop putting spaces between your lines of text, holy fuck.
>If you are going to use templates to build things, I suggest that you do not use double-spaced ones.

I can run down the basics of paragraph structure without access to indentation, which is standard across the fucking net, but I won't because these look like chicken shit comments to try and get a rise out of me. So, kindly fuck off and die.

Lists of sentence fragments aren't paragraphs, retardasaurus rex.

>being so autistic about formatting
>your autistic formatting nearly doubling the size of the OP

>>being so autistic about formatting

Are you fucking serious? There's a limit to how much a retard you can be. You are literally bitching about what you are doing right now.

>Lists of sentence fragments aren't paragraphs, retardasaurus rex.

So you aren't even trying at the pretense of being helpful or contributing to this thread anymore? Gotcha. I suggest you follow your buddies advice up above and stop being an autistic cunt.

Crunch isn't just math, guy. Having to keep track of a million different rules and how they interact with one another is just as bad, whether those rules involve a couple of +1s or not.

I agree with you on that. I think I'm going to get rid of the gradients and singular weapon focuses. It's pointless and confusing.

>REEEEEE YOU'RE BEING EXACTLY AS AUTISTIC AS I AM ALSO FUCK OFF AND DIE STOP TRYING TO GET A RISE OUT OF ME

Your idea is almost as bad as your formatting, and your formatting is atrocious. Come back when you know how to write.

This is sort of how the newer IKRPG works. You start with 2 classes, which give you access to a certain set of skills and abilities, and as you get exp you can buy abilities from your existing classes, and eventually get the option to buy into more classes.

Third posts from you retards over this. Amazing.

You know, for a thread about a simple organizational idea I got some seriously stupid responses.

>IKRPG

Thanks for telling me about his. I'll be sure to check it out. Have you played it? What was your experience like with it?

Yeah I’ve played a ~12 session campaign in it.

Mixing and matching classes makes it fun to build characters in. They’ve released several splat books since I’ve played it so there would be many more possible combinations now than when I played it.

The main problem I had with it wasn’t anything to do with the class system, it was how poorly thought out the gear is. Certain classes are made to work with these steam powered robots called warjacks, which is basically like getting a complete 2nd character, which makes it less fun for other characters. Except decent warjacks are so ridiculously expensive you basically can only get one if the GM outright gives one to the players.

>I agree with you on that. I think I'm going to get rid of the gradients and singular weapon focuses. It's pointless and confusing.
So... you admit your system, whose sole function is to avoid numbers or gradients, is composed largely of gradients.

Gonna be real honest here, you sound like a self-righteous moron. Normally I wouldn't be such a cunt, but you've already spent half your own thread shrieking at people over whether class features should be separated by an empty line or not, so I don't think there's any point beating around the bush.

Your system sounds like shit, but more importantly "free lunch" style shit. You want to avoid numbers but also rules light, so you're going to make a perfect hybrid that does... what, exactly?

>In the end you wouldn't have the massive head ache that compromises extensively crunchy system, but you wouldn't have the nebulous nonsense that defines "rules light."
This. Which isn't actually a mission statement or design goal beyond "not that." If I say I'm going to build a system that "avoids the caster supremacy of D&D," I've told you jack shit about what my system actually does or is like. If you say your system avoids crunch headaches and nebulous nonsense, you've told me jack shit about what your system actually does. What does "Bowman "Master"" do? What does "Military strategies and tactics" do? It can't be numbers because you hate those, but it can't be "rules light" because you hate that too, so what is it?

Frankly, I don't think it's anything. I think you were trying so hard to squish yourself in between two bad design spaces that you didn't actually pay any attention to what you were doing, and so have functionally nothing to show for it beyond a vague tirade against things that actually exist.

Have a laughing slut.

>guy who has only played D&D invents point buy, thinks he is the smartest

>a thread about a simple organizational idea
You cannot successfully organize lists. No one is interested in your thoughts on organizing RPGs. Your organizational skills are on display, and are horrendous.

Still mad over the double spacing between the green text I see? Get help. You need it.

I asked one question, gave a simple and vaguely defined example, and stated a general desire to avoid the two most prominent issues in RPG systems. That's it. I was joking when I said you two should fuck off and die, but maybe my judgment was a little more spot on than I originally thought.

That is a step, but game design is a slow and difficult process, and a single idea does not a game make.

It's been done: goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-glog.html

>forgets D&D has point buy as an option

Nor does a single question indicate a game design. I'm not even remotely in the ball park of making a game. I was simply asking about an idea on skills and class organization...

Hm' that's good shit, but It seems like its been done several times even before this, right?

please don't die, OP is an autist and I need more

Ten posts from the same faggot ragging on about green text and spacing. Does tg usually attract autism on this scale or is this a recent development?

How is this in any way different from multiclassing in D&D? Stacking the same template is the same as gaining features through leveling a class and taking different templates is the same as multiclassing. How does this in any way remove crunch?

Have you tried playing Lady Blackbird? Fate? Risus?

The idea is just a flat chasse. There aren't different levels. You have an adventurer who can do X amount of things. A swordsman is a swordsman, there aren't ten levels of the same thing. The next "better" version would be an "expert swordsman." That would be similar but an expanded profile, and there's only at most three of them. You would combine these profiles into a character type. As others pointed out. It's like point buy, but much more restrictive and technically simpler.

Right, so a level of Fighter, then another level of fighter, and so on. I get that there is some finicky differences, but the concept it still levels, just more complex.

You might want to check out Fantasycraft, it's what you want conceptually I think.

So GURPS with emphasis on templates and lenses?

>Nor does a single question indicate a game design. I'm not even remotely in the ball park of making a game. I was simply asking about an idea on skills and class organization...
What's the point of any of that unless you're making a game?

It's pretty recent. I've been here since 2007, and I first heard people sperging about "reddit spacing" about a year ago. It's basically a failed attempt at forcing a meme, only they never seem to give up.

This is literally just levels but instead of being 20 of them there's 3.

Merry Christmas tho OP

Warhammer & Zweihander do that. Study it

Fuck Elvis. That asshole is always shitposting.

Oh no, I've been caught!

And that confirms it. These only ever show up when somebody actually gets busted doing it and they try to pathetically deny it, sad! Just like the posts requesting "yous." Remember retards, we are aware of the magical world of proxies, photo shop, and tor clients.

>It's pretty recent. I've been here since 2007, and I first heard people sperging about "reddit spacing" about a year ago. It's basically a failed attempt at forcing a meme, only they never seem to give up.

It's kind of sad. Especially when I see it happen on here all the time.

>Normally I wouldn't be such a cunt

Somehow I doubt that.

>but you've already spent half your own thread shrieking at people over whether class features should be separated by an empty line or not, so I don't think there's any point beating around the bush.

I'm seeing one or possibly two other people bringing it up, including yourself and it isn't the OP. This is one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen on here, and I've seen some embarrassing shit on here before.