How would you make a hawkwind inspired setting?

how would you make a hawkwind inspired setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BtIN32GfBnA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

By giving the players such a long-winded introduction they give up, go get drunk, and make a Motorhead-inspired setting instead.

Don't try to justify it too hard.

I mean, don't try to drown your players in exposition and lore about the strange places and people they meet.

They'll care less if you do, whatever you do. What should you do though?

Look at more album art and listen to more music. Imagine the Warrior on the Edge of Time and ask why he stands on the hill. What is the hill? What's the pink thing in the sky? What lies below?

I think these questions inevitably lead you to turn the camera around and look at the world you imagine the Warrior belongs to.

That's your setting. Check out some Roger Waters (Yes) album art for more spacey psych-y vistas too. Rush and Yes both have great storytelling musical epics for inspiration if you don't find luck with Hawkwind.

would it be like a sword and planet style setting?

Would you like it to be?

i have never played a traditional RPG before so IDK if it would work.

I think it certainly can work. It depends on how you do it.

I can imagine that's scary if you're thinking about running a game for the first time though. It sounds like you have some ideas.

I say follow them, but would you like a series of videos for new DMs?

I'm assuming you want to make this setting and run a game in it, stop me if I'm wrong, but I know they helped me a lot recently starting out.

>got some I-tunes cred for Christmas
>already spent it all already
>see this thread
>listen to the music
>kinda want now
Dangit OP, stop making me want things!

It's called The Elric Roleplaying Game and it already exists.

Assuming, of course, you did know Hawkwind was inspired by Michael Moorcocks Hawkmoon series.

>inspired by Michael Moorcock
They hired him to write for them. Then he ditched them and their non-binding contract to go work for Blue Oyster Cult.
Hawkwind were not happy.

As a Motorhead setting, no. It'd be about WW2 and rock and roll, and motorbikes.

Hawkwind is part of the soundtrack of my space fantasy campaign, more in the vein of Spelljammer than Star Wars.

To be fair, that was pretty rock and roll of him.

He did it for money, which is explicitly NOT very rock and roll.

BÖC is better than hawkwind anyway

Sez you. I'd say in the 70s that was very rock n roll.

youtube.com/watch?v=BtIN32GfBnA

They made a full album based on the Elric books

Chaosium's Stormbringer was first...

That's Roger Dean, not waters

You just reminded me that Blitzkrieg and Lemmy (and I guess a fair bit of the rest of Motorhead) were powered by the same thing - a fuckton of speed...

Something something Dexy's Midnight Runners, though I'm given to understand they were sober at the time

Right, my bad - thank you.
Don't know why I had Waters on the brain.

It wasn't the drugs that killed Lemmy, though. Or the booze.
In the end, it was cancer caused by diabetes brought on by the JD and coke he was drinking constantly.

The man once tried to get a blood transfusion for detox. The doctors told him that normal blood would be toxic to him, and that his blood would be toxic to a normal person.
He was the last great full-on no-brakes rock star. The lifestyle literally killed the rest.