/40krpg/ 40k Roleplaying General?

Merry Christmas, your gift is DEATH edition

Previous Thread: For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

>Who's making the new 40k RPGs?
ulisses-us.com/in-development-wrath-glory-for-warhammer-40000-roleplay/
Ulisses-Spiel, very well known in Germany. It's set post Gathering Storm, uses a Shadowrun-esque D6 dice pool, and is a unified line with Marines, Humans, and Xenos all playable in the core book.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.1.8) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
mediafire.com/file/dghh4d6spcd6io9/

Mars Needs Women! (v1.3.11) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/oocu0xqq97oa8pe/

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.16) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/cu99mwnw75sw9y9

People who complain about ammo scarcity generally do not use las weapons.

Las weapons fall off pretty hard thanks to ever present power creep, which I hate because they're pretty iconic

Anybody got any good tech heresy adventure seeds? Bonus points for the admech and inquisition getting in eachother's way and causing friction. I live for that shit.

what were your favorite character?

i havent had a chance to play him yet but im pretty excited to take my techno priest out for a spin

Probably not as original as I think it is, but when my group had a brief DH1e stint, I was the party's Psyker. Venni Vale was the most happycheery motherfucker you'd ever meet. Initially he only ever used his powers out of fear for himself and his !SQUADDY BFFS! and by god was that ever some goofy fun to RP in a game as edgy as DH
>pic related is best I've got of his face while he always reminded his squaddy friendos that there's a bright side to be found

Left or Right?

Hellguns are generally pretty good at their job.

I wanted to play a DW marine from a chapter that doesn't use bolters but instead uses marine sized hellguns which use their armor's power supply. The justification being that they got into a huge battle and ran out of bolter shells, so the local Mechanicus rigged up some hellguns and they found they worked excellent since they no longer had to worry about ammo. Entire chapter now uses weapons of some form powered by their armor to prevent it from happening again.

Magos is working on some kind of necromancy technology, an inquisitor secretly wants his research because he's getting old

Rolled 2 (1d2)

Left

Does that mean right?

I suppose so.

Well now I'm screwed. The right is the original, but I worried there was too much navy in it so I made the left one.

Personally, the cyan/yellow diamonds hurt the eyes more than the color balance.

Bolt weapons have the advantage of specialty ammo though. I can see those hellguns being used for lesser threats, but bolt weapons would still have a place.

Yeah but you could just shoot it more.

Hell, but that logic we should only ever be using shotguns.

Personally, left for sure, but right could also work if you took off the bottom of the trident's outline so it connected with the navy banner containing the text

What said. Try connecting the bottom of the cyan trident to the motto's banner.

Anons, I'm currently GMing a WFRP 2nd campaign. But I have the opportunity to buy a Dark Heresy first ed book. That been said, I have been away from 40K for a while. I only have read the Eisenhorn trilogy and really enjoyed it. But I'm having far more fun with fantasy these days.

Can you sell me Dark Heresy again ?

>1e DH

Just don't. Get the 2e books

>everybody dies horribly and enjoys it at the same time

Thanks for the reply, but I have a personal preference for 1e.

That actually brought back good memories.

IMO, DH1e has better character creation than 2e but lacks in most other areas, so 2e books would be better to chase down. However, as a source of information, 1e corebook has a condensation of all the neato fluff that originally got me into the 40k universe, so itll always have a place in my heart.
As for selling you on 40k, I'm not a salesman, but Eisenhorn is a good way to get people into 40k as it displays a lot of the universes concepts and forces well. If reading it made you want to see more of the universe outside of just the Inquisition, Id say youve already been sold, and youre just a wiki read or rulebook purchase away from getting a whole lot more into it

I know. I'm tempted to change the cyan to a deeper green, but then again I want it to be a painfully bright banner that sears the eyes.

I tried that, but merging the legion's symbol with the border made the coat of arms a lot less distinctive.

This looks better enough that you really don't need to merge them, imho

Are there lesser Chaos Gods in 40k? Or are all lesser Chaos Gods just Greater Daemons and Daemon Princes of the four great gods?

I once went full sheploo with my inquisitor. Playing Ascension that time felt more like Archer mixed with Uncharted and a shitton of politics.

2e's chargen can be brought up to snuff if you use the 'Character Creation Supplement' PDFs. There's one for the corebook and each of the splats, with all the fluffy parts of DH1's chargen like age, build, superstitions, personal mementos and the like.

All of that stuff can also be replaced by not being creatively bankrupt too.

I like the challenge of playing a character who looks and acts in ways I wouldn't create them on my own. Fucking sue me.

>be me
>running Black Crusade soon
>nearly all players have former mechanicum ties, including a heretek and a warpsmith

What can I do to take advantage of this for maximum fun?

Make them kill each other over an STC that only they recognize as an STC.

Some motherfucker in your campaign, high-up, surrounded by guards and some shit, carries on their person something which resembles an STC.
Fucking make it their Warband Leader or some CSM Captain.

Hype up that an STC is some of the golden shit that could set them up for life.

Then watch which ones ignore the plot hook. Which ones discretely work within the system to acquire said plot hook. And which ones start sending you notes as they create their own power-base in an effort to perform a coup and steal the STC off the cooling/living body of the wearer.

Getting hunted by admech.

The problem with this style is that I wanted the banner to resemble the colors of a peacock's tail, especially the brilliant cyan and green closer to its body.

I want to thank you all for the feedback. This might be the final design guide, though I'm still not sure about having the blue trident being linked so closely to the blue border.

>tfw the DM said he was joking when he agreed to let our only war regiment that comes from a frontier world with where everybody has quickdraw had cowboy hats in our standard uniforms

This is almost as bad as that time I literally got less XP for being jewish 1.5 weeks ago.

How do I sell dark heresy to a bunch of people who have probably never looked at 40k before, as someone who's only experience in it is reading about it?

I'm just tired of running d&d but it feels like that's all they know

I would recommend Only War to ease them into the 40k universe as DH would require knowledge of how society in 40k generally works along with other bits to knowledge that would be overlooked by newcomers.

Rogue Trader would also a good fit. The freedom could be a breath of fresh air for dnd players. But it could also be a paralyzing.

I've actually had more success dumping people into the 40k setting in DH and letting them learn, the hard way if need be, that there is some shit you don't say, and edgy pc bullshit will get you killed, perhaps by the party itself.
Then again, I push for heavy rp in my games, and learning about the setting is actually pretty easy in and out of game.

MYSTERY
SUSPENSE
INTRIGUE
KILLING HERETICS

don't listen to OW fags, don't listen to their lies. There's nothing wrong with starting with RT, books explain fucking everything. Make sure your players read them and stress they can set up their own East India Company in space.

It's mildly easier, I admit, if the ENTIRE GROUP is a bunch of D&D diehards.
I've learned the hard way that people like that tend to fuck up fucking really, really hard in DH, doing the murderhobo bullshit that, while expected in D&D, will at the least get them looks, if not start shit.

You'll have a smaller system shock going from WFRP to DH 1e than DH 2e, they're a lot more closely related.

I personally prefer 2e's mechanics, but 1e's fluff/setting.

new, fresh experiences! Even better, start with a murderhobo campaign who are expected to go and wreck cult bases because investigative skills are not expected from fresh operatives and gradually move the campaign towards more subtle challenges.

You killed all heretics? Good. Now you've found documents showing a large shipment of something incredibly inconspicuous (like hair dryers) is due to land at the starport tomorrow and the cultists need to be in place to "do as planned".

Remember: show, not tell. If they killed everyone, there's nobody to interrogate. Never tell them they made a "wrong" choice by not taking anyone alive, but perhaps have their handler ask if they've interrogated anyone over the vox. If your players are smart, they'll pick it up quickly and perhaps speed to the starport to inspect the suspicious shipment themselves despite not having all the details.

Then you could nudge them towards either investigating the ship's captain or the port authorities. Using descriptions of security systems and armed guards convey the idea they don't have superpowers to take out the entire starport security themselves.

Don't be afraid to drop blunt hints such as video and audio recordings, notes or have them "accidentally" overhear a part of important conversations, if you add a challenge no matter how small, such as waiting for the guard to pass or take a smoke break, players will assume they retrieved the intel using their own wits and skills alone (which is not entirely untrue).

As long as everybody has read the rulebook the group should have a solid grip of the setting and you should be good to go. Have fun!

Hey /40krpg/
How viable in terms of actually working at all would a feudal world cavalry guardsman be for DH2e?

By which i mainly mean the fact that cavalry likely means a player trying to drag a horse around

That's too bad. Fire Caste shows a great example of how to do a great Frontier World regiment,

It would kill your subtly and be difficult to use in more confined areas.

Yep, what I figured
Rather hard to be discrete when on horseback for some reason

The majority of humanity wouldn't know what a horse is.

Anyone remember that monster in the Deathwatch books that couldn't be killed?

A lot of people thought it was one of the Harrowing.

Any advice for someone just getting into BC as a GM?

Make sure neither you nor the players take yourselves too seriously. Maybe try playing it as 40k paranoia, keep it light touch and to avoid inter-chapter conflict bleed into IC shitstorms.

Alternatively, give the players a unifying goal which forces them to work together.

It was never statted... for obvious reasons, now imagine a scenario where your trapped in a station with it.

He is open to later playing a campaign of a Cowboy Rough Rider regiment, but I'm gonna keep pretending we are wearing cowboy hats/are american as fuck in character, as if asked to point out my seargant I'll just say "It's the one with the silver star on their chest, the uniform is based on lawmen from our homeworld called Sheriffs.".

You remember what book it was in?

I actually really like the superstitions and mementos, they give me structure on which to build

>Guard codex now forces specific unit sizes for shit like Heavy Weapon Teams, Infantry Squads, ect.
Would you allow your opponent to field 5 or 15 man squads? Or a 2 - model Heavy Weapons Team? I'm trying to convert from 20 GSC models and have 5 men left over, but can't make another command squad.

Rites of battle, it talks about various denizens inside Erioch

That is a good point
Could either say some equivalent for a mount, or just a horse as citisens freak out at the sight of it

The average imperial citizen is pretty dumb. A horse is fine too. If you have enough advancements in the appropriate lore skills, you could possibly say that they originated from terra.

Wrong thread, but nice paintjob. Curious question, is there any tabletop differance between guardsmen with lasrifles of autoguns like your guy?

Not mine, sorry - its a Duncan model from a while back. I'm using pic related as heads, still waiting on some parts so no pictures.

Veterans can use autoguns as a free option, but if someone insisted I would just run them as lasguns.

Thanks! That would work, though I'm sure some planets like Krieg have horses from the cavalry units they have

They have "horses". They're statted out in hammer of the emperor along with regular horses.

Ah, thanks!

So I think I might be playing Rogue Trader soon and want to be a Space Marine, what's a good chapter/backstory for me to be on a crew?

Not being a space marine.

Can a Space Marine be a Rogue Trader?

The final version of my Titan Legion banner. Again, thanks for all the feedback. It really helped me decide a couple of issues that I was indecisive about.

Maybe if somehow a Rogue Trader provided some critical assistance to a Chapter at some point and they then owed the Trader a debt?

My current unsanctioned psyker in DH2e, for sure.

I did also like my first ever DH2e character, but he never did too well (I seem to have characters I just roll good with, and then characters I roll badly with) and got made fun of so much OOC I found an excuse for him to leave. Was a pretty good excuse, to be fair.

>be me
Stop that.

he can. But that's the same 'can' as the 'can' in "A Plague Marine can be a Sister of Battle."

It's not a logical impossibility but the circumstances to arrive at it are so difficult to imagine and contrived that it's an astronomical unlikelyhood predicated on imense coincidences, neglegence and amazingly weird fortune.

Do hand-grenades function in a Grenade Launcher in Only War?

Nowadays, not really, but back when, lasguns had Armor Pen 1 while autoguns had multi-fire.

In a capital Grenade Launcher, no.

Tell me about your Rogue Trader characters you want to play.

Question to the guy who made The Good The Bad and The Alpha Legion: how the fuck do you two-hand anything but a halberd in terminator armor? Can you use paragon blade one-handed in it?

To continue my point

Read "Wolfblade" for one example of how it might happen, then consider that Deathwatch allows for extended detatched duty as a "killmarine", Grey Knights might send a battlebrother to deal with a prophesised threat that hasn't got a definate timescale, etc.

It's a wonder how you do most things in terminator armor, like reload your bolter.

>Tell me about your Rogue Trader characters you want to play.

Ex-Commissar serving as a Seneschal to a young dilettante Rogue Trader.

I'm not going to kill myself user.

What are some good character building questions for dark heresy? Stuff that would actually work out who the character is and how they fit into the setting rather than somewhat empty shit like "biggest fear".
>how important is the imperial creed to your character?

- Where was your first assignment in your respective affiliation? e.g. Administratum, Mechanicus, Imperial Guard etc..

- Who was your mentor figure in your respective affiliation?

- What did you stumble upon that made the inquisition take notice of you?

- What is a superstition your character believes?

- What technological level is your character familiar with?

- Who is waiting for your character to come home after you've been sent away on a mission?

>- Who is waiting for your character to come home after you've been sent away on a mission?

Every PC would just say 'Vera'

What is it that you hate.
What do you hate so much you would put out one of your own eyes to destroy it?
See that? It's what you hate. And here is your get outta gaol free card to go destroy it.

Space Wolves have this lone survivor penance quest thing, that could work. Play a Wolf Scout to avoid having overpowering Astartes armor.

I have a question regarding shock mauls.
I am playing Black Crusade with my friends and I let the party stumble upon a party of Arbites, one thing led to another and the Arbites decided they would try their luck in melee against CSM.
And they efficiently stunlocked the marines.
Am I interpreting the rules wrong or is it really possible for a pair of arbites to stunlock the shit out of a single marine? Because that seems really OP.

Were the CSM just rolling badly? They should have at least 45+ Toughness along with at least rolling with a 40+ on Dodge with enemies not getting a bonus to their size.

Excellent advice. I am not the same user you replied to, but I found your post to be of value to any new GM.

Explorator who is borderline a Heretek, only chose to be apart of a Rogue Trader crew to avoid being ex-communicated.

They get +10 to the test for every armor point on the hit location. That's like +80 bonus to the test. They are literally immune to that shit. How the fuck did that even worck?

If the CSM flubs both their Evasion and Toughness checks, and the Arbites are doing enough damage to get past soak, then yes, it's very possible for two space cops to stunlock a Space Marine. That's part of why power mauls are great weapons.

my bad, just read the black crusade rules. What the actual fuck. That's op as hell.

They might be two-handing the mauls for Concussive.

Shocking just needs the attack to hit, not deal damage.

Astropath with a literal holier than thou attitude because soulbinding