Weekend (Christmas) Warcraft Lore and RPG thread Golems and Giftgiving Edition

Discuss the lore of the Warcraft franchise and its application in and around traditional games.

>Document compendium: Contains official (ex-canon) DnD 3.x variants and a fan made DnD 5e version!
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B52pEESRLwfBM3V0Sm5NTlBITlk

Greatfather Winter has given you a huge cannon golem. What do you do with it?

I would launch Basutei to Orgrimmar.

I feel like I missed at least half of their videos.

Other than Archeology relics, rare hides/ivory type stuff, exotic animals, and forbidden magical stuff, what are some intersting things to for smugglers to purvey in Warcraft?

I've come up with Manathistle and Bloodspore in my thinking so far.

The Defias were smuggling Zanzil's mind control serum in Vanilla.

Maybe various types of Rogue poisons, assuming you aren't in orc or Forsaken land because I doubt they'd give a toss about that shit.

There's probably a market for various troll parts; troll sweat was an alchemical ingredient for a long time.

Oh good point, and Mojo's still a big deal too.

Wait, I don;t remember the Zanzil-Defias bit, did that really happen?

I never played much Alliance but wasn't that the story going on in northern Stranglethorn near Duskwood?

I thought they were mostly concerned with the Trolls in general and Kurzen's crazies.

so what's the lore behind the santa claus orc in orgrimmar?

rare ores like truesilver and titanium
purple/black/fel/frost/golden lotuses
Blood of Heroes

They were all in cahoots in vanilla. The Bloodsail Bucaneers, the Zanzils, the Defias, the Twilights Hammer, Onyxias black dragonflight all had contacts and were trading with eachother. Most obvious was the bloodsails supplying the defias with materials for their ship.

Its such a shame that this grand conspiracy never got investigated in detail and you kill VanCleef(the original one, not the hot one) so early.

Pretty much anything.

Rare spices and exotic products trying to avoid customs, taxes and sumptuary laws.

Magical items, rare reagents, forbidden texts, highly illegal fel, old god and scourge stuff going from relatively benign to highly illegal that will get you executed.

Weapons and equipment to suspicious persons. Maybe they are just your regular thugs, maybe cults, maybe freedom fighters.

Simple crates and barels full of regular stuff, grain, hemp, salt, smoked meat, iron ore. They are used in a tax evasion scheme and if your PCs talk too much they will get on the wrong side of powerful nobles.

Pretty much anything can be smuggled if there is someone trying to restrict its movement.

>Tue
Nice weekend, retard.

>he isn't on holiday

Anything out of areas controlled by the Cenarion circle or earthen ring.

At least Nhym is back.

Was still Christmas monday for me?

Holidays are not the same as weekends. There are rules!

>Its such a shame that this grand conspiracy never got investigated in detail
Well, it was probably headed up by Onyxia as a ploy to weaken the Alliance. She always was the one behind the rise of the Defias, and the black dragons in contact with them were all under her authority. Since you give her the good ol' revolutionary haircut, it's likely that the whole thing collapsed without her.

Which is still stupid. You had this grand investigation tracking down the defias through several zones(VanCleef also got killed too early, he could have been a fantastic recurring villain) then it segues into the Stockades uprising and the missing diplomat chain which was sadly unfinished in vanilla. The Windsor questline in BRD was never connected to it.

That was an unfortunate dead end/quest gap, I still liked both quests though. Hell, I even liked the early parts of the comic.

what was the quest gap?

if you go by someones work week, where they work wed-sun, mon and tue would be their weekend

>you follow the chain from the unsent letter you found on VanCleef to up to level 45ish where you kill some traitors in Dustwallow with the help of Jaina who will tell you she will call you in the moment she knows more about the plot
>she never calls
>you find a crumpled letter in BRD in your early 50s and go save Windsor, all around bad motherfucker who will walk in and unmask Onyxia

Original release even had Varian on some naga island with some hillariously dinky normal human model but that was cut too.

What sort of way would you like to see the story go in the future of warcraft?

I like how they split up EK for Alliance and Kalimdor for Horde. I think they should do an apocalyptic war for the Alliance and Horde. Both sides should use Azerite and just destroy each other. The Barrens should be a no mans land for the Alliance and Horde, just littered with craters and both sides shooting at each other with azerite from afar. While in the Eastern Kingdoms Quel Thalas should be in total ruins Vietnam style and the Alliance go full Total war in the city. Then Sylvanas could go for some meat grinder attack on SW she gets the city but its been totally destroyed and she lost much of the horde forces she had to get it and the SW alliance get set up their new capitol in Lordaeron.

I want Saurfang to assassinate Sylvanas so he can finally actually do something right

I want to witness the return of Azj'Aqir.

If they're going that route, I want to see the Alliance start push their technology and Warcraft's magic to the limit when the realistic possibility that they'll lose becomes apparent: mass produced statues converted into soldiers with the curse of flesh (a bit of a parallel to the orcs and their forced aging of children into soldiers during the Second War) armed with dark iron semi-automatic firearms and machine guns (Dark Iron guns are claimed in the RPG to be strong enough to use phlogiston to propel their bullets, which is effectively identical to smokeless powder) while the Horde adopts what is implied to be the Goblins' cutting edge military technology and tactics in response as each battle becomes more and more dangerous to the average non-PC troop. For the first time in history, armies swell to the millions in number as both sides prepare for total war and both teleportation magic and technology like the radio are used to mobilize and organize units of thousands while bright minds finally come to the idea of using tanks as cavalry and personnel carriers as opposed to siege units.

The first few battles of the BfA are traditional Warcraft III fare before the technology involved starts to rip apart the footmen and grunts of the Alliance and Horde alike, each new battle gradually looking less and less relatable as traditional forces are violently phased out trying to keep pace until it's only magic users, PCs, and legion upon legion of faceless troops. Somewhere along the line, Sylvanas manages to steal the methods the Alliance are using to literally manufacture new soldiers and makes forces of her own, first converted into true Forsaken and then simply pushed to the front lines alive to be raised when the do fall. By the end of the expansion, the primary fighting forces are artificial humans fighting artificial humans and while the players have managed to save Azeroth the culture of the world is forever changed.

TL;DR - BfA becomes Azeroth's WWI.

Saurfang the Elder had a hard life.

What actually is the strongest metal in the universe?

Each expansion keeps making up new metals, it’s hard to gauge if adamantium is stronger than titanium or saronite.

Probably right now it's Illidanium to soon be replaced by BattleforAzerothium or Gibmoarshekelsium

>tfw they managed to completely ruin the Legion for me

They've become so incredibly dull and uninspired since WoD and Legion.

One can assume that True Steel/Iron is just a specific grade of the metal than a different material entirely, which makes steel stronger than many magical metals like Saronite and Thorium but still fall short of the stuff like Illidanium (ugh).

I always figure that the metals are not necessarily stronger in a linear sense.

Is the whole corruption thing a fetish or not?
Cause it seems like a fetish at this point.

Have the Alliance convince the living members of the Horde that Sylvanas needs to go, and have their combined forces give the Forsaken an ultimatum: abandon the Lich Queen or die. Then have a WWI style trench war around Undercity that decimates both sides' forces but ends with Sylvanas put to death and banished.

You then revert back to the game being about exploring the world and its many non-RvB threats.

Yes. Someone on the team also has a mind control thing going on, considering how many of the female raid bosses have it.

>You then revert back to the game being about exploring the world and its many non-RvB threats.

This is what needs to happen ASAP.
Sylvanas is an evil cunt, sure, but I can see no real compelling reason we NEED to kill her. Just let her be and do her evil bitch thing while we go meet some fucking anthro elephants from Not!India or whatever.

>Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes, Night Elves evacuate deep into Azeroth as the surface of Azeroth is burning and toxic from the war
>Orcs,Goblins,Trolls,Tauren Blood Elves escape back to dreanor

Forsaken and powerful mages are the only things living that can survive the Azerite scarred surface of Azeroth.

100 years pass, Druids of the emerald dream regrow azeroth but a lot of places remained wastelands

The Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes, Night Elves start resettling Azeroth once again

A new portal is built

The Horde races come back to Azeroth and the cycle of Warcraft 1 begins again.

She's too much of a destabilizing factor and a remnant of something that was put down in Wrath. NOBODY should tolerate her continued use of the plague. NOBODY should tolerate her raising dead humans to bolster her ranks. Blizzard had the chance to do something really interesting with her character after Wrath, but they fucked that chance to oblivion.

Yeah, but that's what I always liked about her.
Nobody SHOULD tolerate the shit she gets up to, but politics and alliances kind of force them to. The blood elves are the same way on a much less extreme scale.
They've fucked up any chance of her getting a compelling story at this point though. No amount of mental gymnastics allow me to buy that she became warchief and everyone just went along with it.

>with Arthas gone, Sylvanas had nothing
>with Illidan gone, Maiev has nothing

It's gonna happen again, isn't it. What is it with Blizzard and people whose only reason to exist is to kill/capture/chase ONE other person?

Still holding out hope Maiev will turn her attention on that cunt Tyrande and overthrow that human-submissive bitch and make the night elves bad ass again.

Malfurion and Tyrande should go neutral again and go fix Azeroth or something while Maiev takes lead. Do. Their. Jobs.

Maiev seems to be a Night Elf traditionalist. Like the only reason she was obssesed with capturing illidan was so night elf society could be safe. She will probaly focus more on the Horde and trying to rebuilt the Night Elfs as a soft power in the region.

I AM LEI SHEN, SLAYER OF KINGS AND GODS

YOU HAVE MADE A GRAVE MISTAKE

The new Kara patches didn't actually open up- the Crypt but they did forget to make the new walls ghostproof.

I want a total reboot starting from WC3 for a much better integrated and natural flowing story instead of retcons piling on retcons. Maybe lead it in with WC4 or something.

Nah, I dont trust blizzard to not fuck it up. But I'd love to be in creative control of such a story.

That's what GMing an RPG is for/

Fund it.

I just want to integrate all the cool little side bits of lore expansions keep adding without including stupid shit like major characters becoming full retards, constant stupid RvB, alt-light and the light.

Just keep the entire world in the tone of vanilla, wrecked kingdoms and new states trying to establish themselves, finding new allies, exploring new territories through mercs and deniable assets while a bunch of neutral factions also spring into life to fill the power vacuum,

Mechanically might as well include some some social and multiplayer focused elements and actual roleplaying choices and storylines, cause you know MMORPG instead of the lobby based action slasher it became.

And yeah, I did GM some storylines set in WoW, its absolutely great for such a thing and makes it feel even worse how its potential is squandered on retcons and Epic Moments.

This shit was pretty Legit.

I like the 2.5D comics Blizzard's been doing lately.

What do you guys think of Void Elves?

I've seen worse.

High Elf fans annoy the shit out of me, but even I got to admit it's a slap in the face to make these instead of just giving them what they want.

Is it true that the Thunderlords hunted the Gronn for food? What is the Orcs' general opinion on eating non-Orc sentients? Did they eat slain humans during the First War? Do they have recipes on how to best serve gnome?

>allies love high elves and want to play as them since vanilla
>blood elves wanted to defect to the allies since wotlk
>makes no sense for the nighterer elves to join the horde
>allies need an edgy race? why not make up something new, or add one of the orbiting factions like a tribe of assassin Lost Ones, Harpies, offshoot faction of Naga or Mantids
>or someone who is literally already part of the alliance since forever like the Furbolgs or Jinyu
>why not add horde races like the Ogres, Forest Trolls and Hozen?

Nah, lets displease literally everyone with new edgy flavors of elves. Not like we needed that after an expansion focusing on an edgy elf only edgelord class led by the edgiest elf who ever edged.

Only twelve year olds like them.

Don't forget that they're probably going to kill Vareesa.

>blood elves all defect to the alliance like they should have already
>void elves form as a sylvanas related elf subrace
>all blood elf players could choose between a transfer or a race change
>make void elves a bit more creepy and monstrous
>X-TRA NITE elves elves go alliance because what the fuck are they doing in the horde really

The entire shit with the alt-night, void, Alleria turned into void etc. is just pure fucking shit they cant unfuck in any way.

>Give the Alliance literally all the elves

ALL THE ELVES JOHNY

ALL THE ELVES

>Wanting Elves in the Horde

Give them a gorillion flavors of trolls to compensate. Dark, jungle, ice, forest, zandalari.

>tfw no high elf sorceress elder sister

he did nothing wrong
the tol'vir deserved everything Al'akir did to them and more for their betrayal

All High Elves must be turned into Void Elves

Allera is the only former High Elf, they're all Blood Elves.

Why? Just thousands of Blood Elves decided to leave the Horde and get a even worse crack addiction or did they catch Void-AIDS first or something?

Alleria goes to visit the Sunwell, and her voidyness fucks it up, so Lor'themar tells her to go away and she takes some dickriders with her

They had void AIDS first, Allera offered to take them in and teach them to control it. The alliance is totally cool with these emo, crack addicted triple-crossing Blood Elves for some reason.

This is even dumber than I thought.

Never underestimate Blizzard.

And give the Horde Ogres and and a couple more Animal-Man races to compensate.

>more furries
how about no

I'd rather have Amani than Blood Elves.

This. I'd love to have an overarching campaign for the horde to recruit all the mutts, mongrels, minorand castaway races. Ogres, trolls, tuskarr, centaur, harpies, quillboar etc. It would have been just a logical extension of their WC3 campaign.

>Harpies
They're more likely to go with the Night Elves frankly. Now the Centaurs? Fit the Horde well, but there'd need to be something to get the Tauren to accept it.

>night elves

Nah, they are not the forgiving kind.

The horde could get a neat little storyline for every race, how they manage to connect, how do they manage to find commond ground, how they mend fences etc.

I think the Tauren could be brought to the table to discuss it, as it's been near a generation since the centaur conflict. I don't know how reliable the centaur are though, though you could ally with one of two warring Desolace tribes pre-Cataclysm, so guess they're not totally crazy.

Quillboar and then Tuskarr would probably top my list though. Aggammagan is by all accounts a good guy, really we should have had him come back and rally to Quillboar to join to Horde to fight demons in Legion. Could have been great.

This was the idea behind including the Forsaken and the Blood Elves in the Horde, but like most lore things it was just a justification for game mechanics and was immediately forgotten about.

Most of the centaur stuff since Cata (some if it in books) has been about how they're trying to unite/civilize and the Horde is trying to play US World Police and sabotaging hostile warlords while assisting the efforts of more peaceable/diplomatic types.

When will the the true children of the Old Ones return from their slumber in the depths to cleanse this world of filth?

It's been like that since pre cata too. I remember some of the first quests you do in the barrens involving going out and killing a few centaur warlords that were acting like shits

>The alliance is totally cool with these emo, crack addicted triple-crossing Blood Elves for some reason.
Cause Alleria is the most revered and trusted hero of the Alliance.

Alleria has been gone for ages and is sucking Void dick currently, and then she comes up and asks you to take in a bunch of Blood Elves, those guys that have betrayed you and been trying to kill you for years at this point, who are also addicted to Void dick. There's a limit here.

People who can't control the Void go crazy, so Alleria is helping them. Also, they're homeless because Lor'thermar banished them all from Quel'thalas for putting the Sunwell in jeopardy by merely existing.

That's not remotely an excuse from an Alliance perspective.

I thought void elves were both blood and high elves.

Nope, just Blood Elves. They're specifically a group Lor'themar kicked out other than Alleria.

The Alliance has already tried to get the Blood Elves to rejoin them, this is nothing new. This was while Varian was still King as well, I can easily imagine Anduin being much more forgiving and willing to forget past allegiances with their help in the coming war. I know Alleria has been gone for decades, but she's still a war hero and a living legend. Having her vouch for the exiled blood elves would mean a lot.

>Alliance: "WE WANT BLOOD ELVES"
>Okey heres your blood elves
>Alliance: "Nuuuu we don want the blue ones WE WANT THE RED ONE!!!!11"

No, the Alliance asked for High Elves, not Blood Elves, and especially not the Sylvanas cosplay race.

Varian and the blood elves were actually very close to putting ink to paper and having the blood elves formally join the Alliance.

Then Jaina purged Dalaran, and that fucked everything up.

That is lewd.

Gorian Empire was the best thing to come out of WoD.

It's just Dragonlance Ogres except the Ogres were still ugly.

At its greatest, Warcraft is Dragonlance with the concepts handled better, like the Gnomes.

Anyone wish they could do a Warcraft 4 in RTS style or Total war??

SupCom FA style.

Warcraft is entirely just 2 Parts Warhammer + 1 Part Dragonlance + 1 Part Forgotten Realms, frankly.