What are some modern things you’d tolerate or even enjoy in a fantasy setting?

What are some modern things you’d tolerate or even enjoy in a fantasy setting?

Pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teeth_cleaning_twig
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

potatoes

Rapid crossworld transport. I can imagine airport-like portal hubs outside the city walls, say.

Honestly i don't mind final-fantasy levels of schizo tech and technomagic. The party is chilling for a while in the city: the wizard tries to finally date the thief and takes her into what is a mix of a play and a movie, while the cleric finally chills out with some icecream at the beach..

It's not really a problem, I don't even sperg out about bows vs guns (but I generally do rule-lite, to be fair, so, it's aesthetics anyway). What I don't like is not considering at all how that shit makes a difference in the setting.

A desire for bodily cleanliness in general.

playing a D&D game with a character that bathes often as possible in strongly scented soaps. the party paladin is confused by this behavior, and the desert mage thinks its a waste of water

Indoor plumbing.

That's not exactly ahistoric. Many mediteranian, scandinavian, or arabian cultures really liked bathing and neatness. Arabs and Romans loved bath houses/communal bathing, and the Norse were super into grooming to the point that they nearly always carried a kit of combs and brushes. Europeans also liked to bathe when they could for quite some time, I believe up until the plague happened and they assumed that bathing was actually bad for you since it opened up your pores and let in the devil/miasma/etc

playing a character from a nautical setting in planescape. the other PCs are like that. that, and they are the sort of players to not buy that sort of supplies when they can masterwork(minor upgrade) their gear. so they don't pack soap...

but while they smell of sweat and road grit, I smell minty fresh.
where they have to buy their gear, I have the skill-levels to just make my masterwork equipment.

Once played a minotaurs who was quite proud of his glossy, well kempt fur, hired lovely young ladies to clean and polish his horns, keep his hooves in good condition. He was a swordsage gladiator, so everything was about the aesthetic.

What exactly are you trying to say?

yeah, and if he wasnt the CHA character there was NO REASON AT ALL to do that, except delicious fluff and RP.
my character carried a hand-axe he wasn't capable of using in combat.
>asked why
>would you rather chop firewood with your +3 Mace of whatever the fuck?

I bet you played him played brash and lavish too.

See , and perhaps learn to speak english

this.

Also I heard it wasn't till sugar arrived til teeth started rotting. Back then most people just picked their teeth for rocks found in bread, so toothbrush was really not that necessary.

There's actually lots of things that rot teeth. Potatoes are worse for your teeth than sugar.

Actually I did it for ERP purposes.

I've loved weird anachronisms ever since I saw a bunch of medieval peasants at a joust stomping out the tune of Queen's We Will Rock You in the opening scene of A Knight's Tale.

>ERP
eh, not my thing.

but I can see that being a good bit of roleplay

A theme of Magic vs Technology.
Technology would be limited though. Telegraphs would be too much, but getting into steam power and other early combustion engines would pique my interest, as well as the powers of early science.

well potatoes werent introduced till the colonization of south america so there ya go.

Video games. Wouldn't be hard to justify them as mass-produced interactive illusions or something.

There are reports that the Indus Valley civilization had primitive indoor plumbing and those guys predate Egypt and China. Plumbing is hardly modern.

>initially, arcano games required massively complex enchantment arrays to play, and were inaccessible to all but the most dedicated wizards
>year by year, however, these systems have become smaller and simpler; now they fit in the palm of one's hand, and only require basic literacy to operate
>the wizards are nowadays in uproar over the deluge of less dedicated arcano gamers and the games which cater to them

Those related to hygiene and some of healthcare. Like, have some Apkallu or Ivy Queen or fallen grigori bestow the knowledge unto worshippers and let it spread

I love playing around with magitech making some modern or futuristic shit possible. Indoor plumbing, personal hygiene, modern underwear, airships, some kinds of personal mobility vehicles, all that shit.

I don't study a lot of medieval history and I imagine they had plenty of equivalents to modern niceties so I don't sweat small stuff unless it's important to the game.

That's not entirely true. The increased availability of sugar due to the discovery and colonisation of the Americas, combined with a lack of understanding of how tooth decay works certainly impacted badly, (The tudors used a sugar paste as toothpaste!) but mild abrasives have been used to keep teeth clean and shiny since ancient egyptian times at least

Dental hygiene goes back at least 5000 years; probably even longer.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teeth_cleaning_twig

Theoretically, you could have the low tech equivalent of pretty much every modern nicety if you were rich and/or powerful enough.

Want running water? Live next to it, or hire chumps to build aqueducts for you.

Want lighting? Candles, oil lamps, and a million maids and butlers to keep the walls clean of smoke.

Want centralized heating and air? Well, first of all you'd have to be able to afford property in a geographically suitable area, and then get an architect to design a building that utilizes space in a way that keeps you cool in the summer and warm in the winter, and then you need to get dudes to ship in ice blocks and chop wood.

Want food on demand? Not only would you need a live-in cook, but also serfs to till the crops and raise the animals.

Want entertainment? Hire a jester.

And so on.