Another Butthurt Whining Thread

What TRPGs do you feel are unfairly hated/mocked/disregarded due to misconceptions, image, internet drama, or otherwise "having gotten such a bad name that nobody will seriously give them a chance"?

Hardmode: give a well-phrased, concise argument for why that is really the case, rather than you just being bitter about liking something too niche for most people to like

The one breast look smaller than the other.

Not an all that uncommon occurrence in real life...

I laugh every time angry contrarians start badmouthing DnD on Veeky Forums, because I know this contempt is born out of jealousy. Nobody plays their Paizuri Quest TRPG, so they lash out against the actually popular game.

Pathfinder, never once played with any weebs furries or any other 'magical realm' degeneracy in my games

90% of women have a roughly 20% volume disparity between the breasts (according to Dr. Kirtly Jones). It isn't until the disparity is *way* higher than that that you can start worrying about some medical issue.

Tic tac toe is fun if you just stop strategizing and just mark your move. I don't like people that always play the same move over and over again.

Why the fuck do you start every thread with a stupid oversexualized image, you horny manchild?

Guaranteed responses.

I get a pile of shit every time I mention Wolsung up here. I find the setting is great and the use of cards works out nicely for the system, giving motivation to add narrative elements. I don't really get why there's haters. Maybe it's just not enough of a hurr durr wargame...

DnD. Lots of people have only heard of the balance issues via theory crafting, or have played with shitlords. Most of the time, it isn't nearly as big an issue as people think. It also has an unfair position as The One True RPG That Everyone Knows, even the densest of "normies" will have heard of it, usually from smelly sperglords or through DND WILL LEAD YOUR CHILDREN TO SATAN bullshit. Together, these two have poisoned the well against DnD, regardless of edition. Top it off with more and more people knowing it through various streamer (which triggers all sort of shitlords), and you have a recipe for a shitstorm to last for years and decades.

In short, the biggest issue with DnD isn't DnD but the players and GMs.

It got a bad name because it's well known for having cartoonishly racist depictions of fantasy races. People hear that, assume automatically that it's either full /pol/ or full tumblr, and never bother to check any further.

I feel like you're exaggerating the importance of the complaining contrarians.

No one actually takes those guys seriously. They just bark a lot.

this. But I guess Veeky Forums won't change ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FATAL

The fun thing is, it's up to the GM to go either way. I play it ironically and get a very interesting feel from experiencing a history which has values that disagree strongly with contemporary views.

In Dark Alleys gets a lot of shit for being either "magical realm" or "SJW", but the only page people have ever seen from it (which the above two assumptions are based on) is one of over 200 which just so happens to describe an organization of magical hermaphrodites. MUCH SOCIAL JUSTICE, VERY PERVY GAME.

In truth, In Dark Alleys is just a particular (and particularly badly written, I must confess) variation on the postmodern cosmic horror game we've seen a billion times before. It is both about as pervy and about as social-justice-y as Unknown Armies, Kult, or Mage: The Ascension.

I just think it's a shame people hate it so rabidly for such a stupid reason, since some of the other ideas are pretty cool and can be quite easily implemented in a better written horror game (e.g. a conspiracy of children's fantasy authors who use mystical techniques devised by Lewis Carrol to attain immortality through hiding in the dreams of children which they have shaped. When the children grow up, they find themselves plagued by mysterious dreams which sometimes bleed into reality, and eventually gain the power to travel between Earth and their dreams, or pull entities outside).

It pains me to say that, but I'm almost 100% certain that both Kult and Unknown Armies would've been shat on as SJW/magical realm garbage if they came out nowadays. People have a very, very thin skin once you step outside the D&D/Warhammer/40K thematic comfort zone.

Speaking as someone who's read both of them:

I don't know about social justice (you gotta admit In Dark Alleys has a pretty raging 1990's boner for how evil rich white guys are, even when compared to old White Wolf games), but I can guarantee to you Kult was waaaaaaaay more magical realm.

But that's the thing: back in the 1990's, this was all just the dominant fashion. It was the trend of the day, the theme which sold most copies. It was just business to shove it everywhere. The whole idea that "RPG's can be totally be deep and serious guys, honest, we're intellectuals here, we're nothing like those dorky wargaming neckbeards!" was picking up speed, everyone wanted to jump aboard the bandwagon, and as it happened, the 1990's idea of "deep and serious" was a mishmash of environmentalist, anticapitalist, feminist and New Age themes.

Re: every single World of Darkness game between Vampire: The Masquerade and Demon: The Fallen. Or that godawful game Cybergeneration. Or 2deep4u experimental schlock like Over the Edge and Unknown Armies (though in the latter two's defense, they were at least well written).

People are so butthurt about how liberal the game industry is nowadays, but Christ, it's the fucking American dream compared to how things were back when we grew up. At least it isn't so AGGRESSIVE about its liberal themes. Yeah, every second character is a fat ethnically ambiguous genderqueer, but the general message is more often than not just an omnipresent "you're totally encouraged to play those guys, they really exist and there are totally a lot of them so this would be more realistic", not an active "THIS IS A GAME ABOUT HOW THOSE NEFARIOUS RICH WASPS ARE POISONING THE EARTH AND RAPING THE GODDESS, ONLY TOTALLY RADICAL YOUTHS WHO WEAR SUNGLASSES BY DAY AND DO DRUGS THEIR PARENTS SAID NOT TO HAVE THE TEEN SPIRIT TO RISE UP AGAINST THEM" like it used to be.

Sunglasses by night*, dammit. Shouldn't post from work.

Apocalypse World seems to draw a lot of negative reaction here, I don’t really understand why.

It’s a simple, fun system, good for a beginners or a filler game. Yet all I hear is “APOCALYPSE WORLD IS BAD REEEEEEEEE”.

Mostly it's the same as above, people being super triggered that the character sheets have a "trans" option for gender. Like, okay, it's ridiculous, we get it. Know the solution for that? Don't pick those options.

OSR and 4E are the only good versions of DnD though

>Mostly it's the same as above, people being super triggered that the character sheets have a "trans" option for gender
While I haven't seen those character sheets myself, I've got to ask, do they list the trans option with the options of 'MtF' or 'FtM', or is it just 'trans'? It comes off slightly annoying if they're treating the 'transition' from one sex to the other as its own unique gender instead of what its supposed to be: a 'transition phase' between the two genders.

That may be me just being nitpicky though.

I think the exact definition used is "transgressing". IIRC, the gender options listed are "male", "female", "ambiguous", "transgressing" or "concealed".

I could be remembering it though.

I still don't understand the hate for 3E and its derivative D20 systems.
It's simple enough for anyone to learn, but with enough mechanical depth to make character building a skill. For low-level, low-magic games it's still great.

Yes, but only for then, and even then, there are a wealth of flat out bad options at play. Toughness is NEVER good, for example, and the entire mathematical underpinningof the game is shoddy.

>"transgressing".
>Definition: infringe or go beyond the bounds of (a moral principle or other established standard of behavior)

Who in the actual hell thought using THAT term of all things for a gender option was a good idea? Ambiguous and concealed at least make sense. Transgressing just gives all the wrong signals.

Yes, but you might notice all three of those are literally sideboxes. They may be obnoxious and preachy, but that's still all they are at the end of the day. THE GAME PROPER isn't *ABOUT* being inclusive or fighting the forces of the patriarchy or something (except for Beast, I suppose).

Back in the 90's, the preach wasn't just passively saturating everything it was THE CORE CONCEPT. Like, the premise of a game could've been something like "money grubbing, polluting corporations have taken over America, it's up to hippie kids with purple hair to defeat them with the power of New Age neopaganism."

Shit, man, I don't even know WHICH 1990's game that premise is specifically referring to. There were a bunch

Lancer.

This is the contrary of what OP asked for but i'm so fucking mad about the crushing popularity of D&D.
It's more of a board game than a pen a paper game for a LOT of people. Points, tweaks, numbers, spreadsheets, optimizations, XP points, this is so fucking mechanic and mathematic.

It's a necessary evil since there are so many spergs in this hobby, but with the right people around the table the rules and XP never matter.

There are so many fantastic RPGs available on the market. It is insane. I already own like 14 different stand alone RPG and they are all excellent. I've had countless hours of fun IRL and on roll20.

But noooo, d&d d&d d&d d&d d&d d&d d&d d&d d&d d&d
Fuck you guys.

What's that?

Gender Identity and Demons isn't too outlandish (they present a reasonable in-universe justification for it), but the Gender and Pregnancy thing is pure WTF/Magical Realm territory to me.

And everything after
>Zher choice may come off a bit jarring
just completely turned me off to ever trying this game. I'm not really a fan of getting preached at by holier-than-thou gits in an RPG manual, thanks very much. The fact they're in sideboxes makes them even more obnoxious and preachy than what was in the 90s.

To be fair WoD's rules are garbage, even if the fluff wasn't politically slanted. I think that the game deserves the hate tha tit gets.

Stop being mad, user, and start using those rpgs.
I've introduced people who only knew D&D to a host of other systems, and now they play and run them themselves. Further, they are better players for the more rounded experience.

Hello fellow redditors

I agree with you, and I don't necessarily have a problem with D&D. I play tons of retroclones, and I think that D&D's mechanics make sense in that context. What is really sad is when you are scoping out some people to make a group with only for everyone to invariably insist on Pathfinder, maybe 5E, even though everyone has played those systems a million times already. Ultimately you need the right group of people.

>transgressing

Mecha homebrew with some art done by that Six Billion Demons guy. One of his friends dropped by to make a thread about it and the tone came across as pretty shilly. It also awakened Veeky Forums's latent hateboner for that comic and just about every thread that came after was focused more on that artist than the game. It even got to the point where someone was constantly making threads on Veeky Forums and sometimes /m/ to force a bad reputation on the game. It was pretty crazy.

This

People forget how PC the 90s actually was because they were either kids or weren't born yet

>pc
>fuck the man, kill him and destroy everything he has created, tear down the walls of civilization for something better made of the individual's will
That's pc??

Storytelling is more important than system. A boring D&D campaign would be boring in any system.

Mention those rpg you say i am looking for a new system

What do you want in a system?

"The Man" is white, male, Christian capitalists, and the "something better" is a green, feminist, racially inclusive, wiccan commune. The meaning of "PC" shifts constantly but by the current definition, yes.

Implying Social justice isn't a product of capitalism

Fate. As far as I've seen it's impossible to have a thread about that game without trolling butthurt resulting.

Almost every criticism is deserved. They all have problems in the course of simplifying the world.

This is a field where anything can be mashed up or redone. The only point in complaining is to harangue people who didn't buy what you made, and I can tell without looking that that is just what this thread is full of. Make better shit, not further-contrived excuses.

Lamentations of the Flame Princess is such a solid fucking game, but the art is so unnecessarily sexual/edgy and scares everyone away.

I have to agree with you. That's why I point my players towards the free to download art free version. LotFP is one of the better retroclones, and it has some legitimately creative content made for it.

The secret is to stay as far away as possible from anything touched by Raggi besides the core rules. It's not a universal rule, but his adventures tend to be the cringiest and often the least fun as well. Other people's are better.

Same, the worst I've had to deal with was one guy powergaming.

Doesn't it have mechanics that encourage the GM and players to have creepy pretend sex?

What are those fantastic other RPGs?

I don't know about you, but when I did that with Shadowrun and other games in the early-mid 2000s I just had people whine about going back to 3.5 or ask why we couldn't use a d20 variant instead.

That's one scantily clad slut. You guys ever wonder if she fucked any Orcs?

>B/X to 2e D&D
Top tier game
>3.5 to 5e
Eh, I can play it, but why would I spend my time with it instead of many other better systems?

You literally started this thread with an anime picture of a slender elf woman with massive cowtits wearing armour shaped like a bikini, and you weren't making a joke about it. You are half the reason people mock ttrpgs.

>Actual Misconceptions about TTRPGs
I've more or less ditched my IRL group, most of whom have been my friends for years, because they don't understand ttrpgs. They all seem to have learned about them from streamers or other online shows so they think the point of roleplaying is memes and doing "bits", like they're a comedy improv group. Comedy's great, but not when its being used to disrupt the storytelling, and especially not when its deliberately being used to derail things.

One of them literally believes the way ttrpgs work is the players run around doing "lolrandumb" meme shit and the DM's "job" is to somehow craft a coherent story out of it. He once based a character off Bill Cosby running around and trying to give people drugged pudding pops.

Numenera on this site gets a bad rap because monte cook.

I mean the "Money grubbing corporations have taken over America" thing hasn't exactly become any less relevant, interests just moved from economic focus to identity focus. Class was replaced with race, gender, etc.

I'd rather have my villains be amoral corporations doing terrible things because they just don't care enough rather than the Patriarchy or whatever.
But then I'm a fun of the cyberpunk genre so WTF do I know.

Nope, that's another rumor that gets spouted endlessly by people who have never actually played the game, thereby getting more people to never play it and creating a cycle of ignorance.

The "Sex Moves" are actually triggered by emotional intimacy, not specifically sex (they're called that way because Vincent Baker just likes being an edgy dick). IIRC, the book also specifically points out you shouldn't play out sex scenes unless that's what you guys are into. The default assumption is a fade to black.

The only thing it encourages is deep character interactions.

But that doesn't make it as immediately hateable, so you won't hear it infinitely regurgitated by people butthurt about the creator's politics.

You're missing an important nuance: cyberpunk (emblematic of the 80's, the preceding decade) is an inherently cynical genre. It thrives on a sort of assumption that there's very little that the main characters can do to change the rotten status quo. Rich people are going to continue being evil, corporations are going to continue to be rapacious, the common man is going to continue to be downtrodden. The main characters get paid, chomp on their cigarettes, gaze wistfully into the rainy street from behind their shades and move on with their lives.

The 90's was (in that context, at least) the age of the "pre-post-cyberpunk" (or however that one British dude once cheekily called that style). It still didn't have the ethical ambiguity of post-cyberpunk ("the future will be different, but there's no telling if it's going to be a good or bad different, that's for people to decide themselves"), the Man and the System were still unquestionably the bad guys, but the paradigm was that you could and should fight them and achieve meaningful victories.

Cue all those cringeworthy stories of a bunch of plucky kids armed with the power of rock Sticking it to the Man, bringing down the corporate system and establishing a green animist commune on top of the rabble (presented as unquestionable good guys).

>Nu-men Era

Cringy in what way? Not disagreeing with you, just interested in hearing more detail

I want a good system for running a Post-apocalyptic game a la Mad Max/Wasteland.
Also, a system for running a western.
Barring either, your prefered alternative for running a fantasy campaign.

A middle ground between mechanically intensive and free form would be prepared for any system, or an equal amount of mechanics compared to DnD.

SenZar used to be this, because of its creators fucking up their Usenet marketing and the book being written in a kind of immature way. Now, though, all that's been forgotten and few people have even heard of it at all.

>You literally started this thread with an anime picture of a slender elf woman with massive cowtits wearing armour shaped like a bikini, and you weren't making a joke about it. You are half the reason people mock ttrpgs.
kek, too true

Oh God. I remember having to run a Shadowrun game for similar players. One player handed me a dwarf rigger pregen with a fedora drawn on the portrait with sharpie, and named the character "John Cena". I guess that both of us just had different sets of expectations.

It varies. Some of it is gratuitously violent in a silly way, with Raggi being a big metalhead. I think that some of his stuff is fine though. Hammers of the God is a decent high fantasy mines of moria esque dungeon romp that I would recommend even if you aren't into LotFP. On the other hand you have Fuck For Satan which is technically a prank that you pull on your players, though it has a single decent dungeon in it as a redeeming feature.

>board fun police ditched his friends over silly stupid things
Not even surprised desu senpai

According to what I presume is OP , he just belongs to the group who believes/ironically wants to imply it's the surest way of getting people to look at a thread. You can see them wandering the various boards if you look for it, sometimes they even say so explicitly.

This. I love my friends to death but I can only play a few types of TTRPGs with them because they only learned about these things through shit like Old Man Henderson or Emperor Text-To-Speech and it just drives me nuts. Every game has to be some LMAO EPIC GET STORY GREENTEXT ME DUDE MEME TIME and yeah some games are meant to be like that but not every single fucking one.

It’s depressingly true. Veeky Forums just really likes pretending it’s beneath them.

>pre-post-cyberpunk

I don’t even care if that’s factually true, this is such a retarded fucking term.

Post PDF or BTFO

Did you mean to type a 'G' there, user?
Still not very nice to say to someone you're asking for something.

Shilling an obscure game without posting a pdf isn’t very nice either.

>Thread asking about games
>Poster mentions one
>Must be shilling!
You're retarded.

Can you recommend some non-Raggi adventures?

I don't care about Bakers politics, I care that his game is a fucking edgy mess that tries to pass itself off as deep, but inherently makes everything feel excessively 'gamey'. Anything with the PbtA tag on it is guaranteed to be complete trash.

World of the Lost is pretty cool.