What dice (d4, d6, d100, etc.) is the best one for tabletop games, if you don't consider accessibility

What dice (d4, d6, d100, etc.) is the best one for tabletop games, if you don't consider accessibility.

d6 is the only patrician choice

D12 is best for reasons that should be obvious.

D30 is second best.

d0-9 dice

All of them.

d2. You can make any dice out there with Xd2.

The one that best fits your mechanic task.
You don't want a d4 random event table and you don't want d100 damage rolls.

d12 is my favourite one

There is no meaningful answer to this question. It depends on personal preferences, the needs of the system, the experiences of the group and a whole wealth of other things that make declaring the 'best' dice almost meaningless.

It's also obviously the d10

Rolled 89 (1d100)

get rekt

I've always been partial to d100

d6 for 3d6

The d3

>Space Marines with WS/BS 30+

2d10 for d100 RPGs.

Depends what you're up to, but I'd say best all rounder would be d10 and percentile.

Roll a d20 with coin flips.

That's called a d10.

d5, nigger.

It is the most esthetic die. Even ancient Romans knew this.

Pictured: Ancient Roman d12 sold in 2003 at auction by the Christie’s auction house for $17,925

Uh. That's a d20.

If I'd gotten a penny each time I asked someone to roll a d20 and they picked up a d12 instead...

wat.

d6

its the dice that everybody has and the easiest to acquire

What are you, a communist?
The best die is the d20. If you don't care to splurge a measely couple of dollars on the main tool of the game, then you can stay in your mudhut with the rest of the proletariat.

d6 or fuck off

No you can't. You can simulate any XdY if and only if Y is a power of 2 -- d2, d4, d8, d16... -- just like you can make a d100, d1000, or d10000 by rolling d10s.

But if you want to make any other die, you need a little help. For a d12, you could use a d6: d6 + (d2-1)*12 - Roll d6, then flip a coin. If heads, add 12 to the result of the d6.

If you think you can get a d20 roll by flipping 20 coins and adding up the number of heads... ahahah. Hah.

Flip three coins and consult the following table:
T T T = 0 heads
T T H = 1 head
T H T = 1 head
T H H = 2 heads
H T T = 1 head
H T H = 2 heads
H H T = 2 heads
H H H = 3 heads

On a d3, there is a 1/3 chance each to roll 1, 2 or 3, but by flipping 3 coins and counting heads, you have a 3/8 chance to get 1 head, a 3/8 chance to get 2, a 1/8 chance to get 3, and a 1/8 chance to get none.

AS YOU ADD MORE COINS THIS BELL CURVE STEEPENS AS THE DISTRIBUTION APPROACHES NORMAL

THIS IS BASIC SHIT, GUYS
USE YOUR HEADS

d10 is a d-10 dice

Most of them are labeled 0-9, not 1-10. Whether or not the 0 means 0 or 10 depends on context -- when you're rolling a d100, it's zero, but when you're rolling for damage with a weapon that has a d10 damage die, it probably counts as 10.

d12
>Divides nicely for 2, 3, 4, 6
>12 results is plenty for most random tables
>Not too many rerolls if duplicating d10 or d100 (obviously not ideal)
>Rolls well
>Platonic, if that's your bag
>Face is large enough to be very readable at normal die size (better than d20)