Someone picks the same race or class as me

>someone picks the same race or class as me

Not their fault but I hate this.

Other urls found in this thread:

theallguardsmenparty.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I love doubling up or even accidentally making the whole party similar.

No sympathy here. Make your character interesting enough so it stands apart from the class or race. Also, parties where all characters are from different races and walks of life are dumb.

You can never have too many human fighters

This. It can only bother you if your characters are defined by race and class.

>his system of choice is so blunt, there is no meaningful difference between characters of same race and class
>his imagination is so dull, his character is defined by mechanical choices and has nothing interesting besides his list of abilities.

>Same class.
I can see the problem, your class is going to define your character, how you play him and what roles he/she will fill in combat and in social situations and then some.
>Same race.
Your character shouldn't really be defined by race, nothing beyond pushing a trope and that isn't impressive so you shouldn't take pride in it meaning it should bother you when someone else dose the same.
Know what's worse?
>Same RP arc.

>I have to be a special snowflake
Grow up.

All aboard the murder train!

This wil force you to build a character whose personality isn't simply orc barbarian

Funnily enough, a group I'm in is doing a Star Trek RPG, and we all ended up with high medical skills and those relating to it.
The DM had to change his plans to fit with a medical vessel.

this is why you do a session-0

>(You) picked the same race or class as someone else
It's totally your fault, better kill yourself and choose something else, or just kill yourself

>wanting to be special in fantasy escapism is bad

I never got this.

Failing to be special in fantasy is bad, even if the whole party played human rogues or mages they'll be as different as fingerprints, saying that you need a special race and class in order to be something different is straight up being pathetic.

Heck, what race or class is so constrained that you can't distinguish two people with the same? if there is an answer for this in your system then stop using a shitty system.

my nigga

>not all white mages

>not wanting to bond with a member of your kin, possibly exchange your different views of the other cultures while you laugh and remember the warmth of home, therefore creating a bromance that will either end in tender carnal love or in the brave sacrifice of one of you
I will never understand why is this an issue. And should it ever be an issue, you could..talk to the other player? Hopefully the other player will be a reasonable person and they will make sure that their character is different from yours...
HAHAHAHA..bullshit. You'll end up with two brainless barbarians stuck in a constant dick-measuring contest and you'll both die trying to fuck a dragon or something

>not making an entire party of lizardfolk monks

> Not making an entire party of orc bards.

>> Not making an entire party of elf warriors.

I... actually have never heard or seen this happen in a game before. I actually want to run such a campaign now.

>tfw you're someone who makes the same class/race over and over again

tbf it's more that we never even finish a campaign. Our gm scraps right in the middle and says "I wanna run this campaign now"

D&D is ok but pls

>that guy picks the same race and class every time

>not using the exact same character for multiple campaigns

>same race and class
>different gender
this is okay

> Not making an entire party of batfolk bombardiers doing fantasy night bombing runs.

> Not communicating with your fellow party members about character plans in advance
It's really your own fault.

so basically you're on the spectrum

we have two of those
one goes edgy dark elf whenever possible and usually goes for some assassin type of class
the other plays comic relief gnomes and always plays a gunslinger/demolitionist
if the setting doesn't provide these they have to be home-brewed in or no game

> Not making an entire flight of birdfolk paladins.

#notallwhitemages

As a GM I enjoy having some overlap among my players, whether it's race, class, or back story. In 10+ years of forever-GMing it always seems that when RP'ed correctly the overlap allows for a commonality to give the party a purpose of sticking together. Usually such parties work together and don't try to constantly dick each other over, and so the story can actually progress and everyone enjoys themselves on the adventure towards a shared goal from mutual understanding.
Also one of my favorite parties was when all five of my players played as clerics/paladins, formed their own cult to the sun, preached and gave sermons constantly, and even converted prominent nobles through political gaming, all of which eventually led to a new deity being born.

It depends on the class.
Two rangers are pretty boring, but grab two monks, or two clerics, and suddenly you have awesome inter-party religious or scholarly conflict. I played in a Dark Heresy game with three techpriests and a Sister; greatest campaign of my life.

>I'm special
>me too
>but I'm more special!

In my Al games I'm always literally the only Human ______ in every game. I haven't seen another one in months worth of games.
I'm also always the guy that 'ruins' the sneaky guys stealth cause I don't have dark vision.
Not my fault you didn't want to buy me those goggles of night.

>No black belts with overclocked damage from haste & temper.

>Not making a gang of Gnome Barbarians

Have you tried not playing DnD? That or role play better

Pretty common in the games I run any more. But that is mostly because I insist on characters making since for the immediate setting that starts the campaign. Usually that means that characters have a common origin - from the same village, same army unit, whatever. So starting races are usually highly restricted, as in one option only.

Next campaign, for example, will be an all dwarf campaign. Everyone starts as a dwarf. Later on, probable not more than a few sessions, I will open up to some changes as it becomes reasonable for the party to run in to new characters from other areas. But to start with it will be all dwarves.

Current campaign is all human barbarian/vikings.

Previous campaign was all wood elves, although by the end about half the party were not elves.

> Not making a band of nerubian bards

theallguardsmenparty.com/
nuff said

>everyone in the party picks wild ass non-human races
Ya'll ready for the traveling band of a tabaxi, a lizardfolk, a triton, and a Yuan-ti pureblood? Gotta makes use of that FUCKING VOLOS BOOK.

It'll never work.

I high five the guy who shows up with a similar character to mine.

In one of our games a long time ago me and this one other dude both wanted to play a certain type of warrior. The DM at the time was a pretty good guy at mediating this kind of shit and suggested that we play as oath brothers who trained under the same master. We ran with it and over the course of the adventure the oath bromance just really clicked, we helped each other out, sparred and trained and just generally became really cool dudes. Now my guy, he was always just a step behind the other dude. He just got luckier rolls than I did, not a big deal, we weren't competing so I was happy that he was doing well and I was hardly doing badly.

Anyways we eventually reached what would be our final campaign in this setting. My bro at some point had acquired this really badass sword and we're making our way to the lair of the baddest evil over lord we ever fought. This guy had set the whole world into darkness and was poised to let loose hell up the world and only we could stop it.

We made it to the villain and we where doing good until my oath brother, rolled a 1. And the dark lord struck him down. And as he lay dying in my arms, he didn't say anything and neither did eye as he just handed me his sword with a determined look and it fell to me to defeat the bastard and avenge him. And I rolled a 20.

that's the most beautiful thing that never happened I ever heard

This. If you can't make at least 4 distinct characters who share the same race and class, then you are missing out on huge parts of character creation.

I can tolerate coinciding races as long as they are not something thats shitty or only acceptable in small quantities (like dragonborn) but I cant tolerate duplicate jobs unless they are planning on taking multi-class

wouldn't rarer races be more likely to cluster in groups of their own? Also
>He doesn't play a game where the same class can serve a variety of roles depending on build

Eh, mommy gm was nicer I think
Warmed my heart you know?

On the contrary user, whilst at first it may feel like a cop out, this often makes for really interesting dynamics and experiences. Having someone of the same class especially.
Not as often for race.

I like it when that happens because then we can be comrades or something if our race is a minority in the region or within the party

Meanwhile my group is planning to run an all ratfolk inquisitors game sometime.

>Swordchucks, yo

>Glorious chainsaw method

I find it funny that only two of these are actually white mages

this