Has anyone ran a campaign inspired by Junji Ito's work? What system did you use?

Has anyone ran a campaign inspired by Junji Ito's work? What system did you use?

Also, any ideas on how to incorporate a Tomie-like character into your game?

I've been reading Junji Ito non-stop for a couple days now. His art is so evocative.

Other urls found in this thread:

goblinpunch.blogspot.ca/2013/06/a-spell-called-catherine.html?m=1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Also, any ideas on how to incorporate a Tomie-like character into your game?
She's basically a succubus minus the soul sucking and caring about getting caught. She exists to corrupt and entrap people however she can.

no. FUCK NO.

Fairly new to roleplaying but maybe something akin to Call of Cthulhu?

This
I had almost suppressed the horror

That's a good summation of her as an entity. I'm also trying to think of how to translate that into gameplay.

Maybe you're investigators with an NPC who's recently fallen in love with a mysterious woman. He doesn't show up one day and days later you find he's committed suicide and apparently brutally murdered the mysterious women. The party begins to investigate a strange brash of murder/suicides all seemingly involving the same woman. Madness ensues, and she's one tough cookie to permanently stop.

In terms of Junji Ito's work as a whole I'm still thinking of how to run a game. He has the unsettling body horror and uncanny valley elements, but it's cranked up with the surreal and bizarre.
His characters even seem to act as if in a dream sometimes. Despite anyone's natural instincts telling you to back the fuck out characters still wander into the clutches of evil (pic related, fashion model comic). I'm just wandering how to keep the bizarre, maybe even the surreal, without the PCs just blowing everything away with guns or something.

On a side note I'm really bummed they cancelled Silent Hills. Ito was apparently working on the monster design.

His best story by far is “the thing that washed ashore”
Or the one about the dead kids on the beach.

I heard he's working on Death Stranding, Kojima tweeted a picture with him.

Can you kill Tomie by burning her to ahses destorying her to the very last cell?

I can't remember where I read this but it was a blog post about a spell that summoned a specific woman. Perhaps Tomie is a similar spell gone wrong and is now a living entity.

Found the post.

goblinpunch.blogspot.ca/2013/06/a-spell-called-catherine.html?m=1

I see Tomie as something once like a Catherine, but has grown out of control.

Originally Silent Hills was Kojima/Del Toro/Ito, which was an insanity dream team. I figure Kojima took Ito with him.

Del Toro was in the 2nd trailer of Death Stranding, so he is somewhat attached as well.

>so she looks like a monster what could posibly go wrong haha
>so what if she has razor sharp teeth? stop being so imature lol
>OMG SHE'S FUCKING EATING ME PLEASE HELP AAAH
every time

Im not sure if players would be able to stomach the most humorous and underappreciated aspects of his style, they are generally regarded as "narm" even by a large portion fans of his work

I don't remember if there's a comic that has her being incinerated, but I wonder if her ashes would just rejuvenate. Now you have a bunch of Tomies.

The reason I say this is some scientists put her cells into a vat of acid and instead of disintegrating she began to grow.

Leave it to fucking Konami to look at a project like that and go "Man fuck that noise, we need Silent Hill pachinko machines"

>I've been reading Junji Ito non-stop for a couple days now

Ar you feeling okay?

OP here posting from phone. Yeah I'm fine but that unsettled feeling is still lingering.

I'm a pretty big horror fan, and Ito scratches a certain itch. I started with Uzumaki which I think is a great introduction, and have been reading through his shorts and Tomie. In a certain way he reminds me of the old Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark illustrations. Very disturbing.

When I heard the premise of Tomie I thought "That sounds dumb, it's about a woman who somehow compels men to kill her?" Fortunately it turned out to be so much more than that. For anyone who's a fan of Ito who hasn't read Tomie do so soon.

Are you kidding, those are the best parts! I seriously can't read his works as anything else than absurdist comedy. When I decided to read Uzumaki at 2 am I had to bite my finger to avoid laughing out loud and waking my parents.

Junji’s stories have a lot in common with Lovecraft’s. I think using CoC would work fine. I have a feeling FATE might work too, if everyone had a madness aspect like “too trusting” or “germaphobe” to justify why their characters don’t always act in their own beat interest.

but instead of lossing sanity when shit starting to go crazy they just continue as if nothing happened.

That'd be interesting, yandere or corpse of a humanoid that keeps coming back. I guess their CHA would be their highest stat? I don't think Tomie works on hivemind logic, at least from what I read.

Tomies actually hate each other moreso than they hate other women, its never specified why but chances are they are so narcissistic they dont tolerate having an equal

That's because of the mentality of the japs, pretend not to notice and nothing will happen. It's the big difference between west and the nips with horror, their horror protags pretend to not notice and ours are just that oblivious. However the nightmare theory works even better.