I think I have the world concept for my next game discovered

I think I have the world concept for my next game discovered...

Other urls found in this thread:

coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/12/osr-lumps-of-sky.html
youtube.com/watch?v=QxJfzE7gE2s
youtube.com/watch?v=40BNY41SJCI
1d4chan.org/wiki/Skylands
4archive.org/board/tg/thread/44745581/miyazaki-above-and-lovecraft-below
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Interesting twist on the floating islands concept. Could be fun.

Airships please?

Looking it up, apparently the artist behind it is actually working on a comic in the setting called Skyheart, and funded it on Kickstarter. back in 2015. Although the artist hasn't posted on their Patreon since march. So who knows how that's going?

I don't hate this at all. What kind of tech/magic aesthetic fits such a world?

I'm jonesing for a Diesel-inspired magical adventure.

take the money and run once people forget/stop caring.

>still populated by humans, elves, orcs and dwarves with heavy medieval european theming

Where is the twist? It's floating land straight.

Most floating islands settings, in my experience, don't really do much with it. The idea of different layers, actually making use of the three dimensional nature of it, is more effort than most go to, and I can see it adding some interesting variety.

Shit no brah, let's do renaissance kobolds and gobolds and shit

This is pretty neat!

I wrote a post adapting this book on caves called Veins of the Earth (which you should definitely read) to be about sky-creatures and clouds. Might be useful here.
coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/12/osr-lumps-of-sky.html

Your experience differs from mine then.

Rip off of a 2000AD comic strip btw

That's cool as fuck. I can see it now. Hardscrabble barbarians herd their sky whales from island to island for grazing. Most people live on the continents where empires rise and fall. The lower islands are a rugged frontier land rich in military outposts and weird creatures from below.

The dark world beneath the clouds is largely covered by storm racked seas, giants and mollusk men carving out a rough living on windswept isles and fighting off sea beasts.

And below all that, at the heart of the world, the inner core. Rich in magical and mineral wealth and home to colonies from above sent to strike the earth and bring its wealth into the sun. Home also to jealous and powerful creatures who resent their home being plundered and filled with hated light.

Yes!
Fuck yes!
Also yes!
Totally!

I'm thinking a world like ours, simple and mundane, but then during the great world war (dieselpunk timeline) they used a superweapon which cracked the mantle of the land, and the world flew apart!

Underneath, a whole new world to explore! Full of dwarves(burly and rocklike), gnomes(smart, pale, and elastic) and kobolds (dumb, lizardlike, great scent and intuition for chemicals). Together that have been living in the deep with the big bads who were sealed away! A magitek empire of evil three eyed dark elves/spiderlike few things "from another dimension !

The world is reeling from the upheaval (within a decade) the lands below are being colonized in a new era of imperialism (Pax Britainia!) The locals are being exploited or raised up, and under the whole simmering pile is the lurking evil of high tech/magitek evil baddies.

I'm working with a title like "Miyazaki Above, Lovecraft Below"

>I'm thinking a world like ours, simple and mundane, but then during the great world war (dieselpunk timeline) they used a superweapon which cracked the mantle of the land, and the world flew apart!

Skerples, why does OSRG hate you? I don't understand their hate, your stuff is usually interesting at the least.

I think it would be better to assume the world has /always/ been like this. Gives us more interesting avenues to discuss, such as what sort of interesting lifeforms would have evolved here? Do humans exist? Did they domesticate birds of prey instead of wolves? Did humans even evolve here or did we come from somewhere else?

All been done before. It's not bad, but there's no point putting effort into something samey.

Eh, people are people, and this is Veeky Forums. It's very easy to be a jerk. Wouldn't worry about it; it doesn't bother me.

Last Exile and the board game Leviathan might be useful reference points.

Also gonna post some Diesel.

I disagree; I think a world much like ours will allow a better sense of immersion in the fantasy; ever watch great Miyazaki films? Even his most crazy fantasy and sci-fi concepts hit home because it was just regular people from regular worlds encountering them. Monsters and robots and Ohmu all felt real enough to touch

Pic

My only concern with that is that, judging by the OP pic, this world is NOTHING like our world. There is absolutely no way life on our world could survive such a world or the cataclysm which created it without serious alteration and/or mutation.

But hell, if that's the hill you wanna die on.

Uh what if the water rises a little

so, strongest weapon is dropping a very heavy object from above, right?

Suspension of disbelief man. Giant robots don't work in real life, but Escaflowne was an enjoyable anime. Ya dig?

I think for the sake of generic relatability, ( and there's gonna be a bit of give and take on session zero with this as well), that there's only gonna be a few monolithic nation's after the event. A big britainia/America empire, an eastern Bloc/west Europe analogue, a Castilian/French kinda place, pan Pacific. The whole world shattering thing would have done away with a good half of the surface world which would have been devestating to say the least (like earth after the moon explosion in Cowboy Bebop)

So then there's these power structures already in play, and with dieselpunk it's gonna be the classic freedom/autocracy/order split that if course let's you paint politics in bold strokes without losing focus at all. (Who doesn't want to punch NAZIS...I mean THETANS?!)

And then the underworld is all vestigal empires of dwarves and gnomes and kobolds, real primitive medieval societies, and the classic plays can be put out with democratic representatives meeting kingdoms and such, or theocracies and fascists butting heads.

And then the big bads, oh they're flat out alien and scary. When they get introduced it's Carebears against Independence Day (but scaled back a touch. Maybe like the new Voltron Defenders minus the humanization of the enemies?).

For some people, sure. But I do seem to recall that Escaflowne 1) wasn't that radically a different kind of planet from Earth except for magic, and 2) there were several background animals that were clearly alien.

Like I said, this is your hill. I take my leave of this thread.

I think we can all admit the best ever sky islands are kingdom of zeal.

I think we can all agree that a magitech society above harvesting all the mana from below and pissing off spirits and strange lowland beings is pretty cool.

Looks like Skies of Arcadia.

What stops the Ocean from flooding the inner core? How many catastrophes are caused by detritus falling into inner core? How bad are the storm caused by the friction of the upper islands in the athmosphere?

I don't like the core stuff.
I like how there's different layers, the lower layers will naturally be darker..

youtube.com/watch?v=QxJfzE7gE2s

>noone mentions Septerra Core
I am disappoint

See

There's definitely gonna be magic doin stuff. Likely gravity defying/water cycle breaking points that work with the suspension of layers

I'm sure it would be a biologists wet dream to study the whole thing

Bump

the two civilized areas seem to be the floating continents and the inner core. I wonder what kind of cultures would emerge there and how they would perceive the other.

>detritus
Is there a more metal word in the English language?

>Last Exile
My nigga.

Aren't they powered by dragon's magic or some shit?

Also Escaflowne is great.

So great, ya

Surface is definitely modernist/early industrial at a minimum. Think Miyazaki films like Castle in the sky, or Howls moving castle.

Then they of course clash with the feudal medieval underworld, all keeps and castles and warrens. Kobolds with candle lights and shovels(!)

But then the old ones, the elder evil, they're magitek. Hoverbikes with cruel crystaline forms, flying about in defiance of gravity. Spiderlike robotic tanks, automatons of fierce obsidian and gold. Each piloted by the alien thrice-eyed elves of evil

It's hard to know how the continents would looks without knowing how rivers and water supplies work in this world. I suppose there probably wouldn't be much reason to settle on 'coasts' if they don't offer access to water.
The inner core looks like it hosts a small number of densely populated urban centers which mostly emerge where the core is exposed to the sky.
The core settlements tend to be the primary areas where mining occurs, since the floating continents tend to be both resource poor and precarious sites for any large scale excavation.
The denizens of these cities tend to survive off a combination of foods sourced from the sea above, as well as fungal life and birds that can be found at the periphery of the core caverns. Some settlements also practice limited terrace farming where the landscape allows, most of them have to settle for importing things like grains from the islands above.
Much much smaller settlements exist deeper in the caverns. These settlements largely exist where people have discovered an easily accessible source of some sort of mineral. People come and work in these places for a couple of months, or even years at a time.
Perhaps the core has some other intelligent species living there that doesn't have to worry about access to the sun.

flying mounts as well?

Septerra Core is one of my favourite games, yes.

Not many games where tramp stamps save the actual day after all.

Just gonna throw this out there as something you might want to look at

Do you even need a trip for this?

I wonder if there's any way to scientifically explain how a world like this could exist with life. A rockbed with lighter than air pockets?

>hey looks cool
>card bas-
dropped

No. There is absolutely no way to do that.

What if there was a new element? Some kind of solid helium-type non-ferrous metal in abundant veins in the floating continents. Mined for building frames in airships. Take too much out and the landmass sinks.

Might as well call it magic.

Or go the Avatar route and call it Unobtainium.

The pockets would have to be VERY large compared the actual rockbeds, or somehow have negative mass, whatever terrifying implications that would have.

came here to post this
also thanks for reminding me to reinstall septerra core

Ahem...

The universe doesn't conform to the standard model and gravity functions in some other manner.

Looks like the top of that rock is brimming with life.

Sure looks like it.

Well I'll be damned.

>There are people in this thread who have never watched Castle in the Sky.

youtube.com/watch?v=40BNY41SJCI

Ha ha, you do realize you are on the traditional games part of Veeky Forums?

We already did this years ago, anons. Veeky Forums collectively came together and built a floating islands world that was built upon the premise of variable layers of islands growing drier and sunnier as you went up and colder and mistier as you went down. It was combined with the inner core being a Lovecraftian place of eternal darkness and storms filled with the remains of fallen civilizations whose islands lost bouyance thousands of years ago and giant monsters.

It's also noteable for a setting which Veeky Forums made that featured a Reasonable Roman Empire, Coral Dwarves, and Maori Manta Ray people. I was one of the anons from that lovely time, and while it officially only lasted for a week or so, it gave the bones of an amazing setting that I've been toying with as a side project for a while now. Even have commissioned art for the various races. I left the 1d4chan rules agnostic and mostly untouched from the earlier work to keep a nice preserved copy of a series of threads that showed that Veeky Forums was capable of making settings built upon COZY.

>1d4chan.org/wiki/Skylands

Wow, good to know that just because you've done it before, that invalidates my work entirely. Amazing

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the flying island.

Tell me; how well do you take it, when told "this has been done before, don't bother"?

Maybe don't be such a defensive cunt, to start with. Especially since all I said was that we'd already done this once before, and you could pick it apart much like Baten Kaitos or Castle in the Sky or even the image the started the thread. We'd even come to many of the same conclusions, like having a horrific Lovecraftian nightmare-verse in the abyss. Creativity is a process of both innovation and cannibalization. I just gave you another source to sift though, you unpleasant fucknugget.

Is there truly a place or time when OP wasn't a faggot?

No one has ever tried TRUE Zeon before.

...err... pretty sure he was just handing you some material that you might find interesting. No reason you can’t steal/use some materials and not others. Do you think every modern fantasy writer gave up when they discovered Harry Dresden?

"Eviscerate".

Defenestration.

I challenge that eviscerate is more metal because gutting someone is more brutal than throwing them out a window and the "visser" sound is just mean.

Alright, point taken. It can sometimes be hard to read implied intent in a text only interface. Didn't mean to jump down people throats, sorry.

Have fapbait as recompense.

>furries
eh
>vaguely human-like furries
eeeh
>joel jurion
GODDAMNIT DICK NO

TRUE Zeon must be dropping a planet on another planet...

Christ, OP, you're setting record levels of faggotry.

I doubt it.

Shell 5 or die!

>and works too

> Miyazaki above, Lovecraft below

We did an extremely similiar project few years ago with the same line, word for word, as the high concept. Someone tried it last year, too

4archive.org/board/tg/thread/44745581/miyazaki-above-and-lovecraft-below

Maybe all openings to the underworld are surrounded by reasonably high land, like Orth from Made in Abyss.

Also mixing Ghibli and Lovecraft basically results in Made in Abyss

Oh dang, well that's another mine for ideas

Sad to say I've been stuck at work without Veeky Forums all day, but I'm glad to see the interest hasn't died completely

Also, faggotry is expected when wielding the aspect of the OP

What about a room-temperature superconductor? Where the core has a vey strong magnetic field?

Then islands containing veins of the superconductor would be quantum locked in position?

Make it magical quantum locking if you want to avoid the potential for crazy technological development using said superconductors?

But, the concept could maybe work?

I wonder how a quantum locked object would behave around a circular magnetic field? Orbiting the latitude?
The upper islands or continents could move and drift in response to a changing magnetic field from a molten core.

Tales of apocalyptic "rocks fall, everyone die" events when the magnetic poles reverse.

Def potential.

It's actually not that bad. The cards are essentially attacks and items and it's like your standard turn based RPG except each action is represented with a card. I wouldn't bother with Baten Kaitos Origins though unless you really like the original that OP posted. It's a bit underwhelming in comparison.

Goddamn that anime was good. I binge watched the whole thing in one day.
I'd love to play an TTRPG or even a vidya based in that world.

You.....are not a madman

>"Miyazaki Above, Lovecraft Below"
Not all of Miyazaki's works were peaceful and comfy user. A few delved into concepts of nihilism and mankind's frailty.

Just read the Nausicaa manga. That shit was straight up Dune, but with a forest instead of a desert. Complete with psychics, spectres born of collective consciousness, and genetically engineered monsters

Looks retarded

To add on to this, Baten Kaitos does something few turn based rpgs do: defense.

You can use cards to defend against attacks to reduce damage.

Now if card-based combat systems are an absolute no-sell, the same company released xenoblade 2 just last month which takes place in a similar setting of a cloud sea. Just... Everyone loves on giant titans that wander the cloud sea.

Oh, I didn't know Xenoblade 2 was by the same people. I got it as a gift for Christmas but I haven't started it yet.

if you look at the Kor from Zendikar the MTG expansion youll get a lot of good ideas for a world like this

they use ropes a lot

>Just read the Nausicaa manga. That shit was straight up Dune, but with a forest instead of a desert. Complete with psychics, spectres born of collective consciousness, and genetically engineered monsters
What the fuck.
Why did no-one ever tell me about that?

>Anonymous

Well, there is obviously some issues. Like i dont even know if the magnetic field from a molten core would be strong enough to lock something of that size in position.

And even then, how did the continents get up there in the first place?
How about a millions of years long ice age? At that time, the world was covered in water and had a very thin atmosphere, kinda like the moon europa. The active molten core deposited some sort of lighter-than-ice lava on the surface of the ice layer(containing the superconductor) all the co2 from the volcanic activity melts the ice and leave the newly formed volcanic continents suspended in a quantum locked state.. .

Hows that work?

Addendum: Most of the ice melted and became what is now a very thick and H2O rich athmosphere, (bonus!) the deepness and weight of the atmosphere enables your setting to have extremely large and/or bizarre flying creatures.

Because no one ever read the manga. They just see the crappy movie and think that's all there is

Which is a shame, because the manga versions of Kushana and her aide were based as fuck heroes