You are a scientist in charge of researching psychics in a fantasy world not much unlike our own...

You are a scientist in charge of researching psychics in a fantasy world not much unlike our own. Only catch is using their powers hurts them physically in a migraine like fashion. What kinds of experiments would you do in the name of science?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0IDgBlCHVsA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

All the kinds. And then some more off the record.

Give them opioids and see if it affects their powers.

I would of course try to minimize the suffering of the subjects. Do they have to be conscious or can we get the same effects by triggering the relevant areas of their brains remotely? Do we need the whole psychic?

As there is no known limits to the concept of psychic, there should be no known limits to the experiments. First you have to find the size of the cage you are in, before you map it out. So go big. Then reign it in over time. Best to get all your crimes against humanity over with before the oversight committees exist.

But as that could lead to vic...subject backlash, make sure you take ample precautions. Science can't honor you properly if you are dead.

I'd have each test subject describe what they think their individual powers are capable of and under what conditions, and I'd come up with an experiment where they agree their powers would work, so no one can say I did it wrong. Sort of a James Randi approach, but with a bit more freedom since the *existence* of psychic powers is no longer in question.
Beyond that, it would certainly have to be case-by-case, because calling something "psychic powers" is like "magic powers", it gives no indication of what those powers DO.
This thread is not related to traditional games. It is off topic.

First step is measuring brain activity during power use, and see if we can understand both what is going on and if the pain can be mitigated.

Subjects will be treated well and compensated greatly. We want them to feel appreciated, not like prisoners.

You need the whole thing they have to be concious.

>Beyond that, it would certainly have to be case-by-case, because calling something "psychic powers" is like "magic powers", it gives no indication of what those powers DO.

Through your experiments you find each psychic more or less transforms when put under pressure that cause the adrenal glands to secrete adrenaline. They can seemingly only use their powers when in this state.

Each falls into an elemental category. You're not sure if that's a real thing or if it's just what you've categorized them as.

Each time their adrenal glands activate, they perform some sort of destructive action. They are all different. One you have encountered microwaves everything around then within a 5 yard radius.

The power of that psychic itself seems to be the power to turn skin to stone.

>not Veeky Forums
It's worldbuilding. We love that here.

Do you want to get Second Impact? Because that is how we get Second Impact.

I'll start by experimenting on willing adults. Nobody wants another Psyren, Elfen Lied or Akira plot.

There wont be an oversight committee, if all the people who would disagree with the way you do things are dead.

That you can get away with this shit is exactly what the psion wants you to think.

What I meant is that trying to go as big as possible could lead to disastrous consequences. You should start small and try to figure out what dangers could exist. What you don't want to happen is
>Hey we found some weird stuff that is older than humanity. What should we do?
>Let's try to make a clone of God.

see if you can replicate the effect by injecting them with adrenaline while the subject is in a different state of mind. what if they are tripping on acid? what if they are high on weed? what if they are in the middle of sex? what if they are playing with children?
>I'd like to introduce the puppy.

Human cloning

I love how the girls look more and more retarded as inbreeding sets in.

Inject psychic DNA into chimp embryos

Well, firstly do a magnetic resonance of the patient's brain while using his "abilities" and try to detect any kind of anomaly that could possibly be the origin of their's abilities or the cause of the pain.

Try to check if sex help with their migraine

Lewd

Try and figure out the biological limits in a preferably non-traumatizing way. We have a limited pool of psychics, and I'd rather not have either innocent blood or insane psychics on my hands. Treat them well, treat them kindly.

Beyond that? Just try and figure out what they can already do, what's sensitive to it, what's resistant, can this be improved in some way, is this a genetic trait or a mental one, etc etc.

This guy's got it right: First ethical thing to do is determine if there are ways to mitigate the pain of using their powers. If painkillers (opiod or nonopiod) do so, that opens the door for further experimentation down the road. If you opt for opioid painkillers make sure to also be willing to pay for services for opioid addiction therapy, as that can be a serious problem as well.

Beat me to it, dope filled painjunkie super psykers may be just a pinprick away

Well yeah, I'm providing the opiates they need to get this world domination thing off the ground

our bodies stress response is pretty complicated
youtube.com/watch?v=0IDgBlCHVsA
I would try to find out how they got powers. there must be some causal link they have in common. if they are just mutants I would be very concerned that something is accelerating our evolution and try to figure out why. if they are not mutants and every human has to potential to generate powers I would be concerned that something is triggering such an extreme survival response that was not happening before.