Dream Wargame

>tfw no popular 6mm fantasy wargame with Your Dudes elements

Similarly, what wargames do you guys wish would exist?

Other urls found in this thread:

jrients.blogspot.com/2017/03/this-game-does-not-exist.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Trying to write me dream game right now. Trying to come up with a platoon level game that keeps model activations separate, but still let's them work together to take out bigger targets.

On second thought 10mm might be better to give the units some more individuality for commanders, heroes, and the like, but still let there be a decent amount of mass in the forces.

You can play hordes of the things in 6mm

>For the last few days the thinky portions of my consciousness has been hyper-focused on a couple of presentations I did on Friday, so I haven't really had any game thoughts. Last night this resulted in a pretty vivid but weird dream about a game. I dreamed that I attended a convention and got to participate in a demo with the creator of a new minis game. The game was called MORP. If that is an acronym for anything, I didn't get that info The guy who made the game called the figures/units in the game Morps. All caps indicates the name of the game. You play MORP with your friends, put you push a Morp around the table.

>MORP is set in an ambiguous sci-fi post-apoc future where the world map is dotted with thousands of round/ovoid lakes that don't appear on real world maps. The author explained that in the setting fluff no one remembers if those were cause by the nuclear war or the meteor strikes. He acknowledged that this was just an excuse to set nearly every battle either on the edge of a lake, with a big ol' lake on the map, or actually on/under the water. A whole chapter of the rulebook was devoted to lake/lakeside special rules. You know how some designers just have that special itch they got to scratch? Bruce Cordell and psionics. S. John Ross and cooking. James Raggi and ruining your life. This guy's game design fetish was lakes.

>The rulebook was an interesting object. It was spiral bound, but at the top of the page rather than the left side. The pages were stiff, thin plastic sheets or laminated. And they were cut on the right edge of the page with chapter tabs always visible, like some dictionaries do. Without every mentioning who they were talking about, an appendix gave complete rules for converting your 40K and WHFP figures to MORP standards. After that was an appendix devoted to building MORP stats for any miniature you care to use in the game, based solely on what the figure looks like.

>The game was new and the designer had managed to only get a few official figures manufactured. He had two factions painted up on the table. The first were these cyberpunk guys that looked like Duke Nukem but with trench coats and heads sprouting electronics gear. The other were these anime girls in skimpy bunny costumes. All their guns were shaped like bananas. The author handed me a flamethrower trooper to inspect. Imagine Omaha the Cat Girl but a pink bunny costume holding a big yellow 'nana with a hose to a fuel tank strapped on her back.

>Yeah.

jrients.blogspot.com/2017/03/this-game-does-not-exist.html

I think you hit mine about on the head- I don't even collect 6mm or fantasy but that's about what I would want right about now.

Other than that maybe a 6mm sci fic game with fuckhuge mechs and monsters that emphasized waves of dudes trying to kill them with mixed vehicle tactics and air support. Lots of terrain destruction and maybe mechanics for base-building and campaigns.

30mm skirmish with your dudes elements, fantasy, great metal sculpts, not too much and not too few factions, factions don't just look different but also play different, alliance between SOME factions allowed for some cost, balanced ruleset, no useless profiles, some cheesecake but not retarded,

This, with a slightly modified old school Warhammer Fantasy universe

Look in to Infinity's link teams or Malifaux's chain activation.

I just wish Warzone: Resurrection was more widely played, it's a good game that ticks all my boxes(platoon scale, alternating activation's, individual actions, cool combos via unit and army upgrades, characters affect the field and the army selection, Personalities are there but Your Dudes are still totally viable, kitschy 90's setting, Omicidal big bad faction, an undercurrent of tangible hope that humanity can indeed win this war).

Just not many people all that aware of it and the company behind it is pretty dumb, like, "let us, a tiny newly formed games company, get an IP license from Fox and make a game from it! this can't possibly go wrong and ruin our reputation forever!" kind of dumb. It's sad really, I've been doing what I can to get more people into it down here in my city and I'm making some small progress, but not enough for my liking.

Right now I'm kind of looking at how Warmahordes does their combined, as a core rule instead of a special rule.

I've got small units that activate together, and can choose to give up their attacks to boost another model's.

REally just anything with maximum Your Dudes would be good for me. Probably platoon/company level sci-fi or rank and file fantasy, but I want a game that just gives you heaps of unit formulae and some mid-complexity game rules, then says have fun

i just want to play something with cool rank formations that's well balanced and fun. yourdudes is also important

Ambush Alley/Force on Force can do this.

I just want Confrontation back, t bh

I'm not even picky, I even enjoyed the PPP version. Just wish they'd released Sessairs for it.

Coming back at some point this year.

Post links to information pls

They have been annoyingly stingy about info so far.

Theres a turnless WW2/WW1 game I saw once. I cant for the life of me remember what its called, but its systems may work well for you. You basically keep taking actions until something fails, then your opponent goes. It really forces you to be strategic as any weakness will be exploited really quickly.

Fug

Still, thanks for letting me know, user!

Also HotTT
Also Dragon Rampant

I'm basing my late Romans for Warmaster Ancients.

Wrath of Kings also has an interesting activation mechanic that might be worth looking into where you can either do one dude at a time or small groups of a leader unit plus a couple of troops.

one where waac fags don't game it
15mm cold war that hasn't been cheers

>15mm cold war that hasn't been cheers
What did he mean by this?

>No Dust Warfare with hard plastic infantry and free of Paolo Parente's retardation

It is a pipe dream, but one I embrace nonetheless.

Something like Command & Conquer

Battlefront shitting on Pact

It would be interesting to see if one could have a wargame business model that worked like vidya does with regular balance errata/patches.

I take that back. Something like Command & Conquer, 6mm, pre-painted, can be bought easily from the store like army men, and the full rules would be online for free.

I would love to have a tie-in Wargame to use with the fantasy RPGs I play.

Something like the rules that LotR SBG uses, but with a make your own character set and a bestiary that has all the units for the Monster Manual statted.

Namely because I think it would be fantastic as a way to have some fun between sessions when the whole group isn't present, where we can play events in the backdrop of the campaign. I was in a Kingmaker campaign where a monstrous army had invaded and we kept hearing reports of towns being sacked, it would have been cool to fight those battles considering how they were described.

Take a look at old epic space marine. The way that it handled orders for units was the best I have seen.

>all this "your dudes" responses.

Fucking stupid.

Crossfire

I also want something like that, but with Dune.

Just play 40k like a normal person you faggots.

You go ahead and stay salty. We'll enjoy our little dudes.

Be stupid all you want

It's okay, user. I'll still love you and my little dudes even if you're going to be saltier than the Dead Sea.

i'd do dat shit

Don't be gay

It's not gay when you're a girl. Now be a good dude and put on this dress.

You're seriously acting like a petulant teenager.

Hell yeah, man! Brotherhood of Nod for days!

I feel like it's quite challenging to make a workable points system for balance.

I'm working on a company-level WW2 game that doesn't fuck around with scale. Current ideas being integrated:
>1:100
>infantry focus, partly achieved through scouting mechanics (many units start off table, infantry are better at pushing back enemy ambushes and ambushing themselves)
>suppressive fire mechanic (moving and pinned teams are dramatically worse at killing with fire, but just as good at pinning)
>the core book will have a comprehensive listing of every company that could feasibly see front-line service in 1945, will work backward and then suddenly jump to a time period I've never seen done before)
>rules for units with such long range that they won't be deployed on table in many cases, permitting (rather abstract) fire beyond the table
>MINIMAL SPECIAL RULES
Differences in playstyles will emerge out of basic stats and available units. For instance, each recon unit you have forces the opponent to deploy an extra unit on table instead of in ambush. A British armored car squadron works by fixing the enemy in place to a certain plan before the game starts. I intend to finish the rules this year and then do a year of playtesting due to the absurd number of lists I am spewing out.

Warhammer Fantasy Battles.

Or a warcraft skirmish game!

What do you think will be the next big thing?

Warhammer was a mismash of cool 80s stuff
Warmachine and Malifeaux rode the steampunk wave
Infinity appealed to "operators" and anime

Maybe something aping X-Com

That's the hardest part. The best result is to get a natural triangle.

I think one needs to aggressively playtest VP granting conditions to allow for asymmetrical balance.

Let's say you got 3 factions. One have cheap and fast units, one is balance, and one have expensive and slow units.

The cheap and fast one should beat the expensive and slow one, because cheap and fast can rush him.

The balance beats cheap and fast, because balance can get his units out in time to stop the rush.

The expensive and slow beats balance, because balance can't go 1 on 1 with expensive and slow units.

But for a table top game. The triangle should be simpler to Massive Army beats Elite Army, Elite Army beats Balance, and Balance beats Massive Army.

Probably hexagon based card gamey wargames with short play times, like Aristea, Shadowspire, and God Tear.

>Massive Army beats Elite Army
But that's wrong

It should go exactly the opposite way around: Elite beats Massive because the Massives are just kibble to them, Massive beats Regular because they're not individually strong enough to defend themselves, and Regular beats Elite according to the same number/power principle.

I kinda want to do something with that "Non-Existent Wargame" concept Veeky Forums was mucking around with back in August, unfortunately I can only find the first two threads, while I'm pretty sure we did at least three and possibly four or even five threads before it petered out

One of us! One of us!

I'm honestly fucking sick of WWII and 1980s WWIII games. I've stormed the Fulda Gap more times then I can remember. I want a lightly cartoony alternate near future game along the lines of Command & Conquer Generals or Endwar. If only Battlefield Evolutions wasn't the brainchild of one of the worst companies in the industry. Would also be great if it could be 15mm as 28mm just doesn't appeal to me anymore. Although I do love my adorable 6mm Abrams.

I wish a game could have emergent objectives like Betrayal at the House on the Hill

man do people play this? I saw the rules fucking years ago and haven't heard anything from it

I'd get into Warzone if it wasnt so fucking racist. Faction choices:
Zombies
Robots
White Catholics
White Americans
White Brits
White Germans
Japanese stereotype that still carry katana and ride jetbikes shaped like Chinese parade dragons

Maybe get some brown people in the mix... and tone down on the weeb

Just paint their skin brown.

A company sized wargame with combined arms elements, blind order issuing, simultaneous activation and limited (but important) chance.

>muh 'cism
Also the Americans in Warzone are vulgo-WWII so tons of them are negroes actually.

Tell that to the Germans

More campaign options for the not-quite-homebrew, only-demonstrated-at-cons 10mm Napoleonics game I was introduced to in college. Only ones completed were the Peninsular War and a fictional Ruritanian conflict.

Also I wish the game had been more popular and sold better.

Tell that anyone who got colonized by pic related.

I think its still better than most other alternatives people have tried.

Tabletop adaptation of Stalker.

Eh, I'd probably just play CoC

Infinity already is pretty much X-Com the tabletop game. Unless you meant the setting and not the rules.

There's a thriving semicompetitive scene here among our converters. Hugely influential little wargame but the first rule of skirmish fight club is you do not talk about skirmish fight club.

There's tons of 6mm fantasy warsets which work for many different kinds of basing.

What you mean is "There's nothing with GW level of market hold 6mm fantasy wargaming.'

Tbh, having opponents is nice

There used to be such a thing few years ago in Russia. I remember it being released, ti has some mutants, Duty, Freedom.

If you want minis Lead Adventure has stellar stalker guys.

Massive Army beats Elite Army because there just too many guns pointing at the Elite Army. Armor is getting chipped away and the guns are overkill.

Balance can go toe to toe with the massive army and then mop up the rest.

Elite can go toe to toe with Balance and then mop up the rest.

There were those "make shit up about a wargame that doesn't exist threads" a while ago. Blades of the Crimson World sounded pretty great.

A modular/genric one.
Clear concise balanced build your own unit mechanics.
Pre-made units, for ease of play, but with the rules you could tweak the units to play how you wanted or to represent all sorts of different things.

Different rules for scales, and converting units between them. Scales being squad vs platoon vs army combat, not 6mm vs 28mm.

>White Americans

Big Bob Watts wants a word with you.

I really doubt you can do that all in one game engine.

Generic Universal Miniature Battles does this. There are premade units with options ranging from orcs to Mongolians. You can of course design your own units. Different encounter sizes are supported as well.

I think it makes sense, based on psychological studies, to make morale finite. However, it's hard to think of a low-bookkeeping way of representing that.

Got to page six had to put it down, to randumb5me :DDDF

Because everything has already been done to some extent somewhere:

I'd love to see more games that use a pre-battle sequence to mess with the forces and scenario. Maybe in the form of a short card game where players can inflict/counter delays, weather, terrain and other positive/negative events and the like on each other.
Because one of the most interesting and fun stuff for wargames in the campaign game where stuff can happen to the players outside of the usual battle mechanics. But campaigns are a pain in the arse to sort and run, so getting a taste of that experience in another way wold be great, particularly player-defined scenarios where each side is jockeying to get the better conditions and terrain.

Battles are hugely influenced by such things in reality and yet we try our damnedest to mitigate all that interesting stuff in favour of forever chasing the mythical 'balance'. But it could be as much a competitive part of the game as anything else.

Good. The wards are always effective.

That is one of the worst written games I've ever seen, and I've seen the Realms of Atlantasia.

I want something like Star Wars Amanda, but with ground forces.

Just ask. Build a 1,500 gold all comers list of cool mans lock eyes like its a pokemon battle and challenge people at your local game store.

That would actually be cool. Multiple AT-ATs that fit on the table would be all sorts of fun.

You got ground units and air units
A general and commanders under him
Objective cards that change the objective of the match

OH MY GOD THEY ARE SO FUCKING CUTE.

I really wanted 6mm clone wars back in the day

A Witcher miniatures game based on hunting monsters (and killing peasants)

A Jodorowski/Moebius/surrealistic/Meta-Barons Fantasy game

A sci fi version of Kingdom Death

A John Milton Paradise Lost miniatures wargame with hordes of demons and angels

A 54mm miniatures game where you can customize you minis in a progression campaign without going bankrupt

An horror/splatter game based on the aestethic of old anime of the 80s (Wicked City, Vampire Hunter, Demon City).

Already done; check out AK47 Republic.

6mm Kings of War, there you go!

Oddly enough I cut the reference to AK47 Republic from my draft of that post because I realised that it doesn't fit my definition of adding another versus element to the game; it's merely a thematically appropriate set of charts of events, that depending on which edition, messes with your force in certain ways (2nd edition specifically removing the need to have spare models to hand which I appreciate).

Battletech but run by someone other than the embezzling fuckwits at Catalyst

Nice, any modern army ones?

Shut up CIA, go glow in the dark.

Something in the Sunless Sea setting. Not sure if it would be a p&p rpg or miniatures game but it’s a cool setting.