So a guy on face book says that they used to work as a groundskeeper at the same cemetary where Lovecraft is buried...

So a guy on face book says that they used to work as a groundskeeper at the same cemetary where Lovecraft is buried, and they were supposed to throw anything left on graves into the garbage at the end of their shift, but one day he found this and decided to keep it instead. It looks like it comes from some kind of board game, any idea what game in question?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LRv9xBenI0s&t=11s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don’t know, but Patton Oswalt (a Lovecraft fan) tells this story of when he went to visit HPL’s grave. He was driving around looking for it, so he stopped by a cemetery worker he saw to ask for directions. He rolled down his window, and before he could say anything, the lady took one look at this pudgy graphic-tee’d comic book nerd and said ”YA WANT THE MONSTER MAN?”

>taking a figurine from a grave
It's been nice knowing you two.

Whenever there is a post like this or a response to "you will die in your sleep tonight" I instantly know the poster is American.

You haven't read his story "The Hound", I take it.

Let's be honest: most people here know of Lovecraft and haven't actually read his stories.

And whenever you see a post bitching about Americans, you know it's a salty yuropoor who just lost a relative to a Truck of Peace or refugee's gang-sexual emergency

That's most people in general.

Lovecraft is to horror what Star Trek is to science fiction. Most fans of the genre haven't read his works but are familiar with many of the surface elements through osmosis.

Most are twenty page short stories...

>kids today

That's a butt plug.

Whenever you see a post like yours you know it's a underage faggot that has B.O for a brain

>Takes figurine from ground where HPL is buried
>>>>>>>>Bud, you ever read The Hound by HPL?

>most people here know of Lovecraft and haven't actually read his stories.
Most people in most places, sure. I'm not so sure about most people here though, especially if we're talking specifically about the folks in this Lovecraft-related thread. I'd be willing to be that most of them have read at least a little Lovecraft.

It's only an inch and a half tall

i could well believe that a lot of people who read lovecraft never really understand the themes he presented
youtube.com/watch?v=LRv9xBenI0s&t=11s

What the fuck accent is that?

I personally reject the core concept of Lovecraft: that there things out there so much greater and unknowable then us, that we are small specks of dust in the wind before things we can not understand.

BITCH: We got quantum mechanics, cats that are neither dead or alive, physics that make your head spin, and machines that still sing to us from beyond the heliopause, and we have only just begun to stretch are wings.

that's the whole point, that no matter what we do, how far we advance. we're a tiny meaningless blip on the radar

I personally reject the core concept of J.R.R. Tolkien: that there is a cosmic struggle between good and evil being waged between wizards, elves and orcs.

BITCH: magic isn't real and there are no dragons.

assuming where talking about his cosmic horror.
Rats in the walls and lurking fear are personal favourites, with the concept f the degradation of humanity

german, a regional german accent

Hey, you gotta begin somewere.

Cosmic horror is much better. I'm not a fan of either of those stories and prefer stuff like At the Mountains of Madness or The Shadow Out of Time (or The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, if we're going for more of a fantastical adventure).

DON’T MESS WITH WEEJEE BOARDS!!!!! t. american

thats a matter of taste though, i like both themes equally. you dislike it
though rejecting the author's own self ascribed themes is some game theory undertale spergism

It's fucking weird.

>fucking weird
layman would probably take it in the litteral sense, hes basically if Veeky Forums was a sociologist

>thats a matter of taste though
Naturally, though I will say that I don't think The Lurking Fear is particularly well written on top of its theme. As I recall, it was rather repetitive and uninspired. Rats in the Walls was better. Admittedly, it's been a good while since I've read either.

Personally reject them. I'm not saying don't make it, more power to those who do, just not my typical cup of tea, I'm more positive and have more faith in humanity.

It's fiction, dude. I don't believe cosmic horrors from beyond the stars aren't real, but I still dig Lovecraft.

Nor do I of course, just the idea that there is stuff beyond what we can ever possible know, that there is a bright line that says 'this is as far as we can ever go' is a bit. . .repellent to me to if that makes sense.

I don't know about a bright line, but human intelligence and knowledge is obviously limited and the universe is a ridiculously complex place. There are probably many hidden aspects to reality that we've not yet even discovered (additional dimensions, etc.), and the universe we know exists is still poorly understood and incomprehensibly vast when compared to the part we have any experienced with. How many tens of thousands of years would it take us just to get to the nearest star? And there are stars in the Milky Way that are 200,000 times farther away than that. And that's just in our own galaxy. The farthest known galaxy is 13.3 billion light years away, and that's just talking about the observable universe. There is a universe that exists beyond what we can see or ever reach, and our minds have only so many neurons with which to process thing. We are limited in our ability to comprehend the math we need to truly understand the universe, and we are prisoners of our hormones and prejudices. The idea that we're ever going to be able to understand more than the smallest sliver of how things work is sheer hubris.

That is where we differ. Given time, and I fully admit we would need a shit load of time, we can understand it. Call it a philosophical difference.

>Given time, and I fully admit we would need a shit load of time, we can understand it.
Even if we had free access to all the information (and again, there are parts of our universe, never mind possible other universes, that we will never be able to interact thanks to how far away they are and how rapidly the universe is expanding), our brains aren't complex enough to hold even a tiny fraction of just the quick-read synopses of it, and that limits our ability to really understand it.

OBSESSED

That's not a philosophical difference, that's just ignorance. Incompleteness is a thing, regardless of whether you wish to plug your ears to it.

I personally reject my humanity Jojo!
BITCH: Vampires are real and they are the next evolutionary step above humans.

>implying we even have that much time
>implying humanity won't go extinct in the next 10 thousand years

:^)

I have a sneaking suspicion it's a Lovecraft inspired entry in the Monster In My Pocket toyline, although my network is too crappy to let me try and research which one it could possibly be.

the base is nowhere near properly flared, don't stick that up your bum it'll vanish up there
source: super gay

This. Rats in the walls hit all the right levels for me, it's one of my favourites, I've even written a scenario heavily based on it, but set in NY subway

The sculpting looks similar, but those didn't have bases

SEETHING

DON'T GO TO CHRISTMAS MARKETS OR OUT AT ALL ON NEW YEARS!!!!! t. yurop

What region?
Upstate New York?

IRL, sure, I had one friend a few years ago who would not stop going on about cthulhu (back when that was the craze). I mentioned something about "Yeah I just got a compendium of Lovecraft's short stories" and he just kind of looked at me and asked "Sorry, who's Lovecraft?"
Still, on Veeky Forums we have enough anons who have read the Night Lands to have regular threads on the books, so it's not unreasonable to think most in a lovecraft thread have read at least a few short stories.

>So a guy on face book says that they used to work as a groundskeeper at the same cemetary where Lovecraft is buried

I've a friend who works for the City of Providence as a grave digger/groundskeeper at the public cemeteries there. While Swan Point is private and he doesn't work there, he says they constantly remove items left on graves. Stuff like flowers, plants, and prayer cards are okay, but people leave all sort of other stuff including lots of booze.

>Patton Oswalt (a Lovecraft fan) tells this story

Oswald is a liar, just read about his wife's death. Swan Point is a privately owned cemetery. There's dress code when visiting, so no tee shirts, and the number of cars on the grounds is strictly limited, so if you're driving you normally have to make a reservation.

>what Star Trek is to science fiction.

Not really a good equivalence, a lot of people have exposure to star trek

I remember dropping a "Fuck you I have a fishing boat" in a Chtuhlu thread and no one got the reference.

Why read the source materiel when there is so much derivative materiel heh.

If vampires are so master race and all, why didnt Jonathon turn into a vampire when he got Dio's blood pumped back into him?

checkumateuda Diocucks

Are you sure it wasn't just that no one bothered to respond to your post because we've all heard the KILLED BY A BOTE XD a thousand times?

I just read The Rats In The Walls, pretty good.

Maybe, maybe I’m just misremembering the story. He told it on a podcast, I may be misremembering the details like the car and the t-shirt.