Malifaux 2E thread, Undead Hookers edition

What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a dimension on the other side of a reality breach on earth around the turn of the 19th century.
It's also a skirmish-level wargame with a number of unique features.
Thematically, Malifaux incorporates magic, steampunk, undead, wild west, and supernatural horror.
SCALE: Malifaux is billed as 32mm Heroic: it's actually closer to 28mm realistic scale.
RNG: Instead of dice, it uses a deck of cards with a control hand. This means that card value influences success, but card suit triggers additional abilities. Players can 'cheat fate' by throwing cards from their control hand when losing a Duel.
STONES: players also have access to a pool of Soulstones which are used for a variety of effects, adding a second layer of resource management.
SCENARIOS: each scenario has a Strategy (overall goal) and several schemes (player goals) which are needed to win.
FORCE SELECTION: forces are generally led by Masters, powerful individuals with dark secrets and eldritch powers. Armies are only picked after Strategies and Schemes have been generated, making netlisting pointless.
WHY SHOULD I CARE?:
1. It's cheap- most master boxes are under US$50 online and are a complete force on their own.
2. It's deep- resource management elements, unit synergies and the unique card-based RNG system make Malifaux easy to learn and fun to master.
3. It's not full of assholes- most Malifaux players are competitive but very welcoming and helpful.
4. Rich IP- no matter what you want to play, it's got you covered.

If you have any questions about Malifaux, here's your chance to ask!

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!a8QBgCaD!mMN8jvLMuNKHA5G3nJ0FSg
mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ
mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A
mega.nz/#!F4UDWIQD!HPHQPzKYpPSHr8QfTRrfaCkgjdauyp-WBCVQf1WTHxI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Opinions on Guild MacMourning without Test Subject? Discuss

Is Test Subjects his Beasts upgrade?
Or the Flesh COnstructs out of Posion deaths?
I feel like either should be perfectly workable, but you lean hard into the playstyle by necessity.

How do I play Colette in Wave 5?

I started playing just after Shifting Loyalties came out, she was my first Master.

She felt good and effective, even after I stopped playing 6-AP Howard very quickly (NPE all round).

I took a break from her for pretty much the whole last year and a bit, and now I've come back to it it just feels like her thematic crew is too soft, the Scheme Marker shenanigans are ineffective, and the mobility is limited by how difficult it is to use the Markers easily.

Her Prompt nerf shouldn't be a huge deal, I didn't habitually multi-Promt stuff.

I've read I should just stop and play Sandeep, but no.

The beast upgrade yes,

I've considered taking a couple of performer,brutal effigy, nurses... the rest?

Acouple of Performers?
Is that necessary?
Are you using them for mini-Expunges or scheme running, because either way there must be a better option.

I'm totally noob with him, They seems good models for Stacking poison and expunging in guild... What do you suggest?

Use the Chihuahua and Dougie himself, with Flesh Constructs as batteries for his Poison tricks if you can take them.
Use Rancid Transplant and then Expunge.
I think, I've only ever had it done to me, and not for a while.

I'm playing in a Shifting Loyalties campaign with Dashel, buidling towards a Lucius Guard Patrol.
Currently Dashel with a pair of Riflemen and a big cat.
Dashel is actually pretty fucking strong with the Riflemen, but I can see how in 50ss games, with too many targets and loads of avenues to engagement, it would be garbage.

Also, Hard to Wound is bullshit and shouldn't be allowed.

Sorry, what I should've said was:
Two Performers, factoring the Mercenary cost, is probably not an optimal option.
There are faster models to scheme run, though Don't Mind Me is very useful.
The soft-Lure they do, Siren Call, is actually less useful that it looks because it causes a Push not a Walk, so is harder to set up to use well.
The Poison-stacking is only ont ehir Melee attack, which means things are lining up to flatten them without much trouble.

If they are working for you, keep using them, but it might also help to swap one out for something else - either a dedicated fast scheme runner, or a punchier Minion.

GG2018 when?

Just get Joss, Myranda, and Cassandra, all with imbued energies, and run them up the board while the rest of your crew does the same.

>Joss
Sloooooow and low damage.
Reliable, but low spikes.
Also, there's way too much stuff lately that has things that he doesn't ignore.
I use him with my Mei Feng stompbubble, but not so much in the sort of pools I use Colette in.

>Cassandra
I always take Cassie, but I'm actually thinking maybe I should use Carlos and a Burning model occasionally instead.
Lately there seems to be enough high-damage shit with +flips floating around that she's not anywhere near as survivable as she was when I started playing.
Maybe that's because I typically put Imbued Protection on her, so my opponents have come up with hardline Cass-killer systems to drop when I declare Arcanist.

Basically I think that a lot of the Wave 1 and Wave 2 models are showing their age - brilliant until the spread of models got wide enough that there were lots of ways around their tricks.

>GG2018 when?
Oh shit, I'd almost forgotten.

A bit redundant perhaps, but soes anyone have the last draft of the GG18 pack?

I don't think I've done more than skim the forums since the first draft came out.

Thanks Guys, About the construct I can't use it! I was talking of the Guild MM!

Is he going to be OK?

Can he not Moonlighting them in or something?
And/or does the Guild Autopsy come with the same "Start the game with X Poison" ability?

I've checked - no.
On the Clock is what I was thinking of, and it only brings over the Nurses, Sebastian and the wee dag.

His non-Poison based attacks are still pretty good, and there's some sort of trick involving using Poison to give himself a lot of Pushes for huge threat range and maneuverability.

Sometime this week, when they get off break. At times like this I am thankful that they aren't as slow as your average

I really wish the game was bigger. This game is so fun and I love painting and collecting and playing but only like one other guy near me plays.

I think mortimer will take his place next book, curious about MM, he's not in guild anymore kek

It varies by area I suppose. I played around Chicago and there would always be good showings. On the other hand the place I play now is far more apathetic to the game, with tournaments only getting a bit over half a dozen people. The dude who does Schemes and Stones plays here at least, which is nice as I got into the game because of the budget lists that he put up. It could be worse, as I want to try Infinity and Age of Sigmar, but those are completely absent in favor of 40K, Flames of War, and Kings of War.

Yeah, I'm not sure what they'll do now.

I could get behind a system of Veteran versions of named characters - Master Mortimer, Undead Nicodem, Outlaw McMourning

Pic unrelated, hopefully a Watcher is arriving in the post in the next week or so to finally make my Arcane Emissary.

If you have the time, toys and passion, it's not too hard to grow - my local FLGS guy just told a couple of the guys here they could have free table time on any day they gave at least one proper demo on, and those couple of guys got a few of the less-complex crews together and started collaring people for small demo games and lending crews to try out.
I bought in off the back of it, and it's probably my favourite Veeky Forums in a long time.

Did Poots finally get his act together and put the resin ones back in production? I kind of want one as a spare, and to compare it to the plastic one.

Da, Comrade Poots has produced me fine resin Watcher.
I kind of want a plastic one because I like being able to polycement delicate models together.

I only got into it because one of the two really cool people at my "game store" (you can barely even call it that anymore) loved it and i gave it a shot. He's tried to get EVERYONE to try it, they've tried a demo game but decided it wasn't there cup of tea. The area has like 4 or 5 games being played with all of them only having one or two players (aside from 40k having like 6). But then again I guess not much to expect considering its Arkansas.

Deployment: Standard (3C)
Strategy: Interference
Schemes: (12C, 2M)

Dig Their Graves (C)
Accusation! (M)
A Quick Murder (12)
Undercover Entourage (2)
Claim Jump (Always)

Trying to learn Rasputina.
This seems like an OK pool and table for her - Dig, AQM and maybe Claim Jump should all be doable.

Anyone have any advice?
I'll post up a list idea in a bit.

Sorry, table is Pic Related.

Tina - Shattered Heart, December's Pawn and Cold Nights.
Wendigo
Snow Storm - Sub Zero
Silent One
Ice Dancer
Ice Dancer
Ice Gamin
Arcane Effigy

Plan would be to get a suitable node into the village square and another on one of the bridges (or stick a Gamin in the river if necessary) and then try and shred theirscoring units.
Ice Dancers score either Dig or Claim while contesting or claiming quarters.
Possibly Ice Pillar off walkways or the gaps between houses to box models into one quarter while clearing out the other.

Damn. I wonder if it is any different I Georgia where Wyrd is set up.

Oh man, ice pillar shenanigans. I had a game with Lilith where I was able to get both of my cyclopses to each table edge in order to score for inspection. They just walled themselves off, and were able to actually score points for claim jump too while everyone else focused on the strategy.

Governor Lucius...

I am not sure what they will do about the Judge. I think that he is the first case where they really killed off a named character with a model.

Has Wyrd said whether The Other Side's cards will be freely available online? I remember that being a stretch goal.

Expect the game to be dead on arraival

That doesn't help me very much, but thanks anyways.

Also, it would be nice if the links from previous threads OPs could be reposted.

>Governor Lucius...
Oh fuck yeah, I'd lovethat.
Not sure what they'd do with him though - part of the problem Wave 5 is running into is that they are running out of sensible niches to design models into,leading to either OP gimmicks or just better versions of older models.

I was about to question the SS:VP trading htere, but I guess 6VP is a decent showing.

She's the only Master I've played that has these kind of pop-up roadblocks - damn fucking handy, I telll ya hwhat.

How are neverborn after new book - heard that thay are garbage tier now and game took a dump in sales and play

Ghost Nicodem

None of that applies to my local group.
No idea about how the business is doing though.

Totally not posted by a Warmahordes player.

If I were Wyrd considering the concept, I’d do a new line of models which are literally Guild and Neverborn fused together, much like Lawyers. So guard with magic weapons that ignore incorporeal perhaps.

Game needs more mimics anyway.

What other ‘next level’ masters would you guys pitch? I’m thinking that a Ghost Kirai would be pretty cool. Hoffman could go full battlemech. Christ only knows what you’d do with Mah Tucket.

I'm not sure about Mah, but the Bayou voodoo angle could stand some more exploration.

As for NVB-GLD, Hayreddin already has that look about him.

I'd dig a Lucius Special Division along the lines you describe though - Lawyers, Mimic-Guard, perhaps some sort of Governess.

rite?

Sounds like a great henchman for Kirai.

How is TOS looking so far?

Yessssssssssssthatwouldbeamazing.

I went looking for the faction Venn diagram thing so I could run through the list and see what occurred to me, whne I came across this.
>Purple Arcanists
>Blue Thunders
>Black adn Grey on the same diagram
What the fuck were they thinking?

I'm new to the game, a friend brought me into it and I've played a few games with him using the starter box.
Because I'm a shameless weeaboo for Japanese mythology I decided on Asami for my first master.
I haven't had a game yet with her and I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how to use her and what youkai would be good?

Unfortunately I've not really read the Broken Promises fluff very carefully (writing is not up to the older books' standards), so I'm not fully up-to-date on all the changes, but...

Guild:
The Judge moves more Death Marshall-y due to his brush with death - though I'm not sure thematic Justice need more fucking Bury.

Ressurs:
Nico downgraded to Bone Pile, cannot take the "An Extra... Head" action.
Kirai gains spirit Nico as a Totem - working similarly to Raspie's Wendigo, Nico summon Undead as usual but at Ca3.
Yan Lo gains additional Lone Swordman/Samurai/Charm Warder Enforcers.
Molly and Kirai get gaymarried because I've just re-read their first few stories together and shit's adorable.

10T:
Misaki becomes single-faction (no time to rebel, nothing to rebel against anyway) and gets more access to Mercs, perhaps?

Arcanists:
Ironsides is already pretty much a v2.0 Master with her new errata and upgrades, she needs no fiddling.
Ramos goes split-faction with Outcasts, or M&SU only maybe? Who gives a shit.

Gremlins:
Lenny is a Master. He gains nothing, but he's a Master now.
Somer... I don't know. Maybe loses the Summon and goes mroe in the damage and suits support direction?

>Molly and Kirai get gaymarried
Wait, what?

I think one of the greater strengths of the Ten Thunders as a faction is that they have a lot of good models, and relatively few that rely on Master synergy to be useful.
Get yourself some Ten Thunders Brothers to pad your hiring points with useful Minions, and then get some Obsidian Oni.
Obsidian Oni let you drop Scrap Markers that you can use to fuel the Flicker on your Summoned killmonkeys.
Folks may recommend a box of Jorogumo, the spider-centaurs, but there are 3 in a very expensive box, they are hard to Summon in, and you'll likely never need more than 2 even if you hire 1 in at the start of the game.

I'm not actually a Thunders player, so I'm not sure what makes a good complimentary small box or crew box buy in terms of expanding from Asami's crew box.
Except Yasunori, of course.

Thanks for the advice.
>but there are 3 in a very expensive box
Problem solved. I actually picked up a box of them for half-price same time I bought Asami's crew. The box was crushed but the minis were still alright.

Bam, sorted.
To be fair, starting with a pair of Jorogumo would be pretty intimidating in a centre stra, where you know there is going to bea good place to put two big tough long-reach beaty models, and still let you cruise-missile Yokai in.

Do you have your colours picked?

I am genuinely disappointed though not at all surprised that Justice killed Nico.

I was really hoping Lady J would die, even though I don't like Nicodem at all.

At least it increases the cache of Avatar owners.

Based on the playtest it is actually good right now. I kind of wish that the game was cheaper though. At least the prices aren't as bad as what Privateer Press insists on.

Obsidian Oni and Jorogumo are the ones you want for summoning purposes outside of her box. Outside of that Yasunori is good, whether you are focusing on oni or not. Ama no Zako isn't necessary. Beyond oni general support options like Sensei Yu, Terracotta Warriors, and Low River Monks are all decent. You can grab some TT Brothers, Tengu, or even Yokai as hires for doing schemes as well. Some people like running the Kamaitachi rather than the Amanjaku along with a Terracotta Warrior for the cards, though I don't think that is necessary either.

I wanted Nico to have a win for once. I get that he is your standard bad guy whose evil schemes need to be foiled for the purpose of the story, but man he has had it rough. Maybe as a lich he will have some more luck.

What are you expecting from January Errata?

Big Gremlins nerf. It is hilarious seeing the local Gremlins players fret, knowing that the end is near. I at least hope to see a couple of interactions addressed though. For example Scion of the Void with the Viktorias new upgrade, or Charm Warders giving models permanent disguisd when they die, neither of which seem intentional, though they aren't really gamebreaking. Other than that I hope to be surprised.

A nerf to Arcanists. Again. Either the faction is completely fucked from a design standpoint or everyone and their community just doesn't know how to deal with them.

>kind of wish that the game was cheaper though
This is pretty much the sole reason I didn't buy in - I don't want to go back to dropping $300 to 'get into' a game.
Shame, it looks like it's got some cool models.

From the whinging I heard, it was as much a Sandeep complaint because he's strong and flexible and new.

There do seem to be a bunch of fucky interatcions available with Wave 5 that could be addressed.
I hope there's finally enough to get them to publish a firmer timing chart.

Not sure if they'll go after Gremlins, since a big complaint was the activation control, which supposedly should be addressed in GG18.

Surely Arcanists don't need more nerfing?
Who?

OP here, you ask, I delivar.

Faction Stat Card Almanac:
mega.nz/#F!a8QBgCaD!mMN8jvLMuNKHA5G3nJ0FSg

Books
Malifaux: mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ

Through the Breach: mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A

I would ask you all, when accessing this info, please bear in mind that Wyrd is a small company of really good guys. They're not a cash juggernaut like GW, or a bunch of dicks like Privateer Press. Please support them by buying physical copies of the books that have Masters you play, and buy the models instead of proxying.

If you don't support the products you love in a meaningful way, there won't be products in the future.

Thanks user. The mega is missing book 5 and a lot of Chronicles though, so it should ideally be updated.

I'm conflicted, because I buy everything I use. I know it's missing #5, these links are just reposted from previous threads (went to 4plebs and searched).

It's a balancing act, because you want to give people enough to get interested but not so much that Wyrd goes out of business. So you'll just have to make do with the rules and the stat cards.

I mean, Chronicles is entirely free so it couldn't possibly financially effect them if the archive was updated with the newest issues. I can understand book 5 I suppose as they actually charge money for that. I will repost the scan for the book if anyone is interested.
mega.nz/#!F4UDWIQD!HPHQPzKYpPSHr8QfTRrfaCkgjdauyp-WBCVQf1WTHxI

I was planning on the classic red Oni blue Oni scheme and hunting down as much classic Youkai art as I can find.for colours.

Thanks for the advice.
So far I just have the crew box and the Jorogumos. I'll proxy the Obsidian Oni and the TT Brothers next time I play my friend and see how I go.

>SCALE: Malifaux is billed as 32mm Heroic: it's actually closer to 28mm realistic scale.
I find this kind of hard to swallow. I assemble a lot of 28mm realistic modelslike Perry and Victrix, and they are consistently a head or more shorter than Malifaux models. Even other 32mm models like Confrontation and Hell Dorado minis are shorter than your average plastic Malifaux model. I would say that the figures are generally shorter than 35mm WWE and Kingdom Death models though, so 32mm is deserved.

You may have a point. I've been playing TT games since the early 80's so scale creep is a real thing. It may be 30-32mm but it's not 'Heroic'- it's more realistic. 32mm Heroic is 40K. With the exception of models like Graves, Malifaux is generally not exaggerated/heroic.

Apparently the android app has a bunch of point changes in it already, like 6 point Teracotta Warriors

About to face blasty Misaki this weekend. Is she really as terrible as people keep saying she is? Is she particularly more devastating than other blast-masters?

Speaking of apps- for the noobz, look up:

-'Bad Things Happen'- free app, $10-$15 to unlock all stat cards.
-CrewFaux- free app, crew builder, no stats included.

I have and use both of these on iOS, highly recommended.

>terrible to play against*

>start an Arcanist list
>Ironsides, Amina Naidu, Kandara with Human Guise, and two Shastar Vidiya Guards
This is going to be a fun list

Take a look at the app guys! Looks like they updated it to the errata. Misaki The Storm is now an 8' range rather then 12. I think I can live with that. Yas is now 13 ss rather then 12.

Enjoy it while you can, I suspect Ironsides is shortly to be spanked with the nerfbat.

>go from one of the worst masters to one of the best just by gaining 1 adrenaline per turn
weird

Fuck. And I was just starting to have fun with TT. Time to see what changes other factions got then.

6 SS Terracotta Warriors and a 13 SS Yas in a faction famous for being fairly expensive already? Christ. They really went straight for the balls.

I mean I don't think it's a deal breaker. Misaki is still pretty good even at 8 but Yas being 13 really does suck.

Don't shoot the messenger user. Arcanists are a difficult act to balance.

Anything else on TT?

That is true. Misaki is finally where she needs to be. I never actually finished painting either Yasunori or the Warriors, and haven't fielded them pre errata as a result. They should still be good with McCabe I suppose.

All i've found was on facebook
Yasunori +1ss, Yamaziko and Ototo down 1. The storm is restricted to 8 inches and allows reduction Terracotta warriors now 6 ss.
Fuhatsu -1ss cost

The buffs actually aren't bad. I still don't think that Fuhatsu will be getting taken, but I already loved Yamaziko at 7 stones. Ototo will get more playtime from me for sure.

>the storm loses reduction
So a squishy Blast Master that needs to be in Ml range, with an 8" blast place that devours cards for a regular 2/3/5 damage track? Wew where can I sign up.

Yeah, not happy about that, but still, it could have been a lot worse of a nerf.

I'd say this puts her back to old Misaki levels. Which is to say at the absolute bottom just inches above Brewmaster.

Can you quickcheck any stuff for arcanists?

if you give me something to look up on the app i can try, its supper buggy right now. I don't see anything on the facebook page i got the TT stuff from and I know fuck all about arcanists.

Check Sandeep and Ironsides, if you can.

He just said he knows fuckall about them, so even if he did look at them how would he know what changed?

Iron sides cash 5
challenge the crowd 1
frontline leadership 2
iron determination 1
message from the union 1
Union President 2

Sanddeep cache 4
A moment of weakness 1
Enlightened Soul 1
To behold another world 1
To Command another plane 1
tutelage 1
unaligned sage 1

again I know fuck all about them so I couldnt tell you if anything about the cards themselves changed but those are the soulstone cost.

He can post screenshots.

Can you check the cost of December acolyte and arcane effigy?

December acolyet costs 7 and arcane effigy costs 4

>Iron sides cash
Cash Money

Thank god they didn't nerfed them. Thanks

I'm admittedly new to her and the game in general thanks to no one but two guys playing in my area but I don't see how she'd be so low. she still seems really good at killing. And if they spend the stones to reduce damage it can be annoying but that's also stones gone from saving something else later or getting a needed trigger. I think its an appropriate nerf to something that might have been a bit too good.