Mythic Elder thread >>57235455

Mythic Elder thread Pray for more of these pirates girls (male).

Each time an opponent deals damage to ~, each opponent sacrifices a permanent.

Dire Fleet

First Strike

When Dire Fleet enters the battlefield, exile target instant or sorcery from an opponent’s graveyard. You may cast that card this turn and you may spend mana as though as it were mana of any color. If that card would be put into a graveyard this turn, exile it instead.

Some weird red snapcaster?

Yep, inverted snapcaster but at sorcery speed. Might be somewhat cool and random.

Reverse Snap.

They're giving dinosaurs all the flashiest stuff but I just can't bring myself to care about them

4CMC is big for that effect but this might be cool.

Lots of good cards in this set.

shit, this grill is scary

I mean, even without the extra ability that would be worth it. 1B for a Flash, Deathtouch Bear? That's pretty damn good.

So I'm guessing WotC decided that they needed to hold off on awesome cards for the second set or something and made the first one suck because of it? The change to standalone sets can't come soon enough.

And none of them for vampires!

>vampires
>pirates
>dinosaurs
>bland effects
>awful art
Is it the end of MtG?

is this art from kaladesh?

Not yet, but it highlights the bad design and goals that have been going on for a long time

They will probably bought by Disney this year.

Yes but you didn't post one.

You got a 2 mana lord though just like merfolk did and a 3 drop that tutors for stuff like Sanctum Seeker on curve and works nicely enough with Mavren or other token gen triggers too. And the ascend 2/1 is still fine to run out as a 2/1 turn 1.

Stop being a fucking baby, it's not as bad as it could have been.

>>vampires
>>pirates
>>dinosaurs
Nothing wrong with this in itself.

>>bland effects
This has been going on for years now, though it seems like WotC has upped the ante considerably ever since Kaladesh. Possibly to make the sets play better on Arena (or at least makes the cards easier to program). Ixalan in particular feels like an attempt to remake Hearthstone with Magic's rules. Enrage, for example, is pretty much the exact same mechanic as in Hearthstone, even down to the name.

>>awful art
That has literally always been the case with the game though.

Sadly, there's Hearthstone, and only autists care about MtG anymore.

The Ceratops look fine. I kinda wish it'd been RW or RG though, cause I'd love to see an aggressive Dinosaur deck with it and Rile in Standard. Having to run three colors makes it look too clunky at the moment.

Maybe Dota card-game will save us

>easier to program
This also means easier to understand and to play with. As an old magic player, I'm disappointed to this chase of low IQs.

>having to run 3 colors is too clunky at the moment
>dino rampant growth
>attune
>treasure tokens
Nah

Making cards more streamlined in their effects isn't automatically bad, for example Adanto Vanguard is a good example of simplifying a card that makes it work better (having it's attack buff not be a trigger). That being said, it's not the simplicity but the really bad design practices and wrong design goals that's making the game shit. This has been going on for a long time and most likely is because of some senior members in the company passing down their bad habits. I still got a little hope for Dominaria as it has got Richard Garfield, maybe he can fix this shitshow before things go into an unfixable state.

Fathom Fleet Rig-Hauler

Raid- When ~ enters the battlefield, if you attacked with a creature this turn, you may return target creature to its owner’s hand.

I just saw the Boros enchantment that turns into a land. I was expecting bad but this is just awful. 1 fucking damage, what where they thinking.

Magic had a dark moment, and was kinda boring (innistrad, eldrazi, khan blocks), but it gets better and better since few years.
Can't wait to discover Richard Garfield work, he will probably allow some broken cards to be released.

To be fair, the land it turns in to is pretty strong. It just takes a little too much to get there and does VERY little when you first play the enchantment

The last few years have been one of the worst times for magic that I can remember, it was way better during Innistrad or Khans. It hasn't been getting any better at all.

>khans
>boring
But Khans as a singular set itself was pretty fucking good outside of Rhino being a mistake, Outlast being shit and all of Mardu being shit (which seems like a a lot but it's still less than the stinkers that were merfolks and vamps in the first set of Ixalan)

Why not reprint man-o-war in the pirate set instead?

In a deck that wants to run an aggressive two-drop and beat with it for 4 on turn three? Yeah, that still seems far too clunky for Standard.

Because ooga limited booga tribes hueheuehu

Presumably they wanted something that interacts with pirate tribal. Jellyfish Tribal isn't really supported well in the set.

There are 72 cards for sale on cardmarket.

The green and red primal dinos, Azor and the two planeswalkers are the only worthy cards

I just wish the pirates were rogues to be honest.

But user both the walkers and shit (Especially Hutali), Azor is fucking pisspoor, the green dino is dies-to-removal win more and the red dino is okay I guess if you give it haste.

I don't even understand how the green dino can hold price, when they were given out like candy during the store championship. I got 7 of them as we only had 4 players.

I was thinking of the minotaur and the new vraska

I guess you can work around removal for the green dino with other cards

user, please tell me you don't actually think this is a good card.

No new cards hold price. Dont invest in anything new.

Maaaaybe foils or valuable cards from older editions ( 7th to Ravnica or earlier ) but they really have no value at all.

Even the cards that have value do so by circumstance, like thoughseize or fatal push, that are valuable just because most other cards in standard are shit.

Dont hold any new cards hoping for value, sell them quick and take advantage of the retards paying a ton for them now.

Cant you ultimate planeswalkers when you cast them?

that ultimate is good

>Cant you ultimate planeswalkers when you cast them?
???????

>Cant you ultimate planeswalkers when you cast them?
Are you new or intentionally being retarded?
You need to have the number of loyalty counters listed to use an ability that removes them.

If you have the loyalty, sure. Vraska needs to use her +2 ability three times in a turn to actually go off in a significant way.

Animated Gatewatch series by Disney when?

Slaughter the Strong

Each player chooses any number of creatures creatures with total power 4 or less, then sacrifices the rest.

This is better than wrath of god.

>Cast it against Elves, goblins or some other swarm deck
>They pick all their dudes and lose nothing
Woah, glad I swapped my WoG for this

>all their dudes
*at most 4 of their dudes
In standard though yes it's good.

Try being literate.

>big tankers
>muh 8 poly tokens
>all vaped by this
>for three
Nah it's good.

No, you trying being literate. TOTAL power 4 or less. They only get to keep 4 power alive so at best, 4 1/1 clreatures.

Yeah, I misunderstood what was saying.

Not me, I'm playing Duel Links with Mai Waifu.

Can't believe how brutal this one is.

MtG dies 3 times a year, sometimes more

unconditional bounce is as bad as Stone Rain to wizards

75% of the rare/mythic are interesting, that's crazy.

Magic doesn't need to be a good game, it's a """"""collectible"""""" like Beanie Babies. It's flooded now with junior stockmarketers trying to speculate and make pennies off each other.

Like said: It feels like WotC feared so much not having anything exciting left over for Rivals that they took all the interesting cards out of Ixalan to save them for the second set.

Like always, the first round will have shit cards with high prices, then the good ones will get higher (in a matter of two weeks)

I like to gamble MtG, so exciting.

More like they release one set like that every 3/4 years to bring the bored players back. Last one I remember was Lorwyn.

> total power 4
>3 mana

damn, this shit is good.

Disperse in the Wind 2U

Instant

Exile target nonland permanent. For as long as that card remains exiled, it's owner may cast it without paying its mana cost.

>Last one I remember was Lorwyn.
Lorwyn was way more boring than Time Spiral, and right before TS we'd had original Ravnica which was also superior to Lorwyn. In fact, if anything, Lorwyn was the beginning of the decline as it was both the first set where R&D started to experiment with "beginner friendly" designs, and the reason they became shitscared of triggers and activated abilities.

I cut my teeth on Magic with Future Sight. Maybe I overestimate Magic players or my casual groups were more hardcore than most but I think WotC could amp the complexity more and be fine.

Are any of these standard playable at all?

The only thing that seems to be worth investing in are merfolk considering that they will have 8 metallic mimics in a deck

So basically a Flicker?

Well you are correct, players left en mass during Lorwyn/Shadowmoor. Hence why cards from that era that haven't been reprinted, even the janky casual rares, are now really expensive.

Which you'd think would have been enough to Planeswalkers as they debuted in that set but NOPE.

I
Hold on
What?
Is this a delayed "chose when it comes back" flicker of sorts?
Except whatever you flicker gets cast triggers again and can be countered.

"But new players think every card is over-complicated, so we've had to dumb down the game and cater to the people who buy 20 booster packs and make shitty kitchen table decks instead of telling them to git gud and making solid, well designed cards. Please understand."
- Mark "I Only Care About My Precious Unsets" Rosewater.

3 mana flicker that can temorarly remove an opponent's threat? Maybe ok for limited.

Basically just a flicker effect that also triggers on-cast effects.

It's a flicker that forces your opponent to spend the mana again. It also turns on cast-triggers a second time which regular flickering doesn't if that's your thing.

>without paying its mana cost

Yes.
>Save one of your dudes and try again later
>CAST/ETB TRIGGERS
>Get rid of an opponent's dude and try to dig for another answer
>Get rid of an opponent's dude and win the game before it comes back
Solid card. Not fantastic by any means, but has applications.

You're right. It makes it worse as a removal spell, but slightly better than a regular flicker for combo purposes.

>Copying this a bunch to "flicker" cast trigger stuff in edh
oh boy time for eldrazi

eh, okay i guess

doesn't really take care of anything, would rather just kill it

>All the black boardwipe demons require casting from your hand for them to work
It's not fair

Just think, this time last year we could have played Imprisoned in the Moon for this mana cost.

what the fuck is it with all these half-assed boardwipes?

Why is this rare?

Imprisoned is arguably better

Wizards fear the Eldrazi

Next Set is Dominaria infested with Eldrazis.

Again?
Fuck eldrazis, we need bicolor gods

This card is my favourite yet, it's too cool.

At least it'll be new ones, since two are dead and the last one is having a time out so she can think about what she did.

Pretty sure Dominaria is their post-apocalyptic world now and is overrun by Slivers.

But will it be Slivers or "Slivers"?

The "Slivers" were from Shandalar and given the huge backlash they got I don't think WotC will be too eager to introduce them to Dominaria.

Is this the new planeswalker deck Vraska?

Yep, everytime a new set is release magic dies.

Haha yeah man totally

>Ching chong xiao hai nip nong

I never thought they'd print that ability on a card holy shit!

>Flash
>Steal someone's Elenda tokens
But leaving 4 mana open is suspicious.

Slivers got huge backlash in M15 because WotC had clearly made them idiot-proof as well as changing their art to make them look like generic dudes.

Yes, you should be able to tell by manacost alone.