/bgg/ Board Games General: Upgrades

/bgg/ Board Games General

Upgrading Edition

Previous Thread: Map
zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#

Pastebin
pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

Thread Question: What game bits have you upgraded? Metal coins, replacement dice, painted or replacement meeples and the ubiquitious insert. Which parts of your game collection are not OEM?

Where do I actually start with buying my own Catan?

Are all the expansions for 5-6 players, or are they cheap because you need the regular 1-4 expansion and then the 5-6 player one?

>That Guy who always takes ages deciding what they want to play, they only seem to know what they don't want to play
>That Guy who is a permanent fixture and doesn't let anyone play Twilight Imperium or games like that because he got base rushed once and it was horrible
>That Guy who whines about everything during other players' turns
>That Guy who consequently takes forever taking their turn because he spent time whining instead of planning their next move
>That Guy who tries to interject in every argument, rule request or idle chatter while it's still their fucking turn
>That Guy who insists on overanalyzing the game we jsut played and are trying to put in the box and just pass on the next one

How the fuck do I deal? And yes I'm fucking salty about TI, I paid it 135 €uroshekels and now I want to fucking play it

>finally acquire a complete Heroquest through various job lots
>when my non-Veeky Forums friends come back home for weekends or Christmas, we usually play a few games if we get a night
>always a giggle, like the time they had to rescue Sir Ragnar and the Elf decided to "walk through walls" to him, only to trip over his own shoelaces when the alarm got raised and have Sir Ragnar die without the rest of the party even seeing him
>this year we didn't play it at all despite me hauling it along a couple of times, as we just played Carcassone and FIFA

Where has the thread been?

>Where do I actually start with buying my own Catan?

you don't be cause catan is a shit game and popular does not denote good.

buy castles of burgandy instead or any number of other way, way better games.

no not Ticket to Ride put that down. I said GOOD games. ffs dude.

For someone with normie friends, or a newbie approaching the hobby, both Catan and Ttr are great gateways.

Catan and Ticket to Ride are both fine games, and you're a dumbass.

Maybe buy the base game, play it 4 or 5 times, notice that it's shit, and move on to other games.

It's still here

Apparently OP doesn't know how the 'search' works.

There is another thread, but it doesn't have /bgg/ in the title, so searching for it doesn't show.

Having said, here is my collection, ask me questions whatever. I've played them all multiple times.

Behold the Gatekeeper.

Although, if you have a group of gaming friends, buying Catan is pointless, since one of them likely has it.

You put /bgg/ in and you only see this thread. You're probably the guy who thinks search means look for the picture.

We all know that guy.

Played Rex recently. That guy was Xxcha. Proceeded to whine about how unbalanced the game was, despite me telling him the game isn't balanced, it's not a Euro, and play to your strengths (Xxcha can avoid combat). Instead, he fights everyone, loses, and rants the entire time. We got sick of it and just called it a win for me and another guy in an alliance so we didn't have to listen to it. I think he soured rex for everyone else as well.

In 2 weeks, this guy is going to be a a TI4 game I am invited to. I already own the game and played it a week ago with some friends that new TI3 and it is good. But I am probably not going to go to the next one.

After playing Rex, he just kept talking about it instead of packing it away. I got fed up and told everyone to just chuck everything in the box I'll clean it up later.

Then he wanted to play Magic Maze. It sucks, don't buy it. I thought I'd like it. I like Space Alert and Robo Rally. Maybe it was just him. I pretended to enjoy it because the guy is a social retard and I don't like to shit on peoples games because I know how much they cost and it sucks when people don't like your stuff.

How many times have you played gloomhaven?

Behold the shitposting faggot.

Solo a few times, but it only arrived last week. Having first 4 player game tonight. I usually don't play solo games, and I can't see myself playing Gloomhaven solo either (I can just play a video game like Blackguards if I want the same style of game), but I often run through solo to learn rules.

The game itself is fairly simple - pick cards, play cards in initiative order, resolving enemy in initiative order as well, with some nice levelling/campaign stuff in between. The complexity comes from chaining abilities together and some of the symbols are a bit confusing and there are multiple status effects to keep track of. For someone familiar with modern games though, it should be fairly straightforward.

I think that Sword and Sorcery is probably the better dungeon crawler, but that only has 7 scenarios and Gloomhaven has about 80 or so?

yeah, because I said don't buy a game if your friend has it.

Did you guys like Ethnos? Are the variants to drawing that help curb the push your luck element?

>Sword and Sorcery is probably the better dungeon crawler, but that only has 7 scenarios and Gloomhaven has about 80 or so?

7 x infinity > 80 x 1

The S&S ones aren't really highly replayable though. THere is a book of stories that accompany it with short narrative & choices.

Oh. that sucks

Played an Exit game. Didn't like it as much as Unlocked! I mean I appreciated the no timer and we didn't seem to need as many clues- however it is seriously annoying to get 3 clues that tell you what you already know- but the whole "destroy the game as you play" thing was not as cool as being able to pass the Unlocked game onto someone else.

Plus you need fucking scissors, pencils, pens all kinds of shit. I mean I carry a knife everywhere and we were in a library so a handful of pencils was no problem but still, how fucking annoying. Exit is more like building IKEA furniture than a game.

Do you have to cut it up though? Can you not just put them back in the box, or is it part of the game somehow?

Has somebody here played blood rage? Was it a good game and were the components good? My friend backed this rising sun named game, which is apparently Asian reskin of that game, and he's trying to sell it to me for 150€. I mostly like Asian aesthetic in games, but the price seems bit high imo. Would you buy it for that price?

You can probably sell it for more if it is the full kickstarter package desu.

Blood Rage is pretty good, but it's not the greatest game ever made.

Solid 8/10

searching 'board games' works too, ya dingus

are you sure it's not Trains: Rising Sun?

a two second search on boardgamegeek will tell you what it is and what it's going for

why would you do that when /bgg/ only turns up the bgg thread and not 20 Veeky Forums threads?

also all the history, urls, tiles, and phone are all tied to bgg if you use it. Board and even board game is too general to be useful.

but you know keep looking for that image in the catalog because why leverage the technology we have

drakborgen (with II), drakborgen legenden, GWs dungeonquest (with expansions) or FFGs dungeonquest?

Choose carefully

And why would you not want to maximize the chances of finding what you're looking for using a combination of keywords? If you just look for a single term, there's a chance you won't find what you're looking for. The general was up and people chose to assume there was none because they were too lazy to type two more words into the bar.

FFG revised version