MTG - Jurassic Ixalan aka Rivals of Ixalan spoilers

All these new dinos make my heart go doki doki.

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/lPhRyfrKy-k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>what if progenitus was a dinosaur
cool art but the white ability is just complete and utter garbage. every single MTG player told me that 1:1 mana to life is never ever ever ever worth it, relevent or useful.

White should have been a tap ability, tap 2/3 nonland permanents or something. I feel this way with that vamp from the cycle that is "when same tribe comes down do x"

it kills carnage tyrant

What does each Ixalan tribe do?
>vampires
Gain/spend life
>pirates
Attackin, treasure, pirate stuff.
>dinosaurs
RAWR DINO SMASH
>merfolk
Uhhh...?

Merfolk is evasion and counters to pump evasive dudes

Merfolk is Hexproof: the Tribe

so does the skittering bug with 1 less cmc. or the 1 cmc green deathtouch nimnam smth from kaladesh. His effect should be deathtouch and stop trample. Or protection from dinosaurs, because like this, he just suicides into a dino.

Are there no equipment in this set?

There's captain's claw

there is this, but it's very forgettable.

why is this a rare

limited :^)

Why is equipment so terrible? It should be a crime that we had Open the Armory, Sigarda's Aid and Sram in the same standard but fuck all good equipment.

Where the fuck are the ally color swords?

It'd obviously break limited if it was at uncommon or common.

>suicide
Not with this it ain't.

Equipment is too good for standard but too shitty for modern, so I don't know.
I don't see equipment on the power level of swords being an issue at all in standard, what with all the artifact hate and removal.

What's up with all the dragon-shaped magic gun things in Rivals? Suddenly every second pirate has one.

1 cheaper

their harpoons. I guess it's a way for magic to put guns indirectly in.

Is this a decent card? It's a creature, so it dies easier than cast out, but I don't think the +x/+x is insignificant.

Angrath may not be a retard. One of the other BR walkers is a savant engineer after all.

>every single MTG player told me that 1:1 mana to life is never ever ever ever worth it, relevent or useful.

that seems like a strange rule. a 4 mana spell that gains you 4 life is horrendous yes, but a 1 mana spell that gains you 4 life isnt great either, its not about the mana:life ratio its about the cards:life ratio. this guy just gives you the option of gaining life if you need it, the white ability is very very good in a 20 life format, aka what this card is designed for primarily

not saying hes gonna be great in 20 life formats, he's still 9 mana, but his abilities dont seem to be underwhelming for 9 mana, its just that 9 mana cards rarely work competitively in 20 life formats

It's interesting design space, but being 1 toughness really hurts it.

>1:1 mana to life is never ever ever ever worth it
In 99.99999% of all cases that's absolutely true, and you should never put a card in your deck that does only that. Zacama does more things than that though, and being able to gain some extra life at EOT when you have no good targets for his other abilities or as a way to survive an extra turn is useful.

That said, he's very clearly meant for the EDH crowd rather than for Standard. Not saying it wouldn't be sweet if he did turn out to be Standard playable, just that it's highly unlikely.

the +x/+x is very significant but not in edh

Alright everyone post your favorite card so far!

iirc Angrath was a blacksmith before his spark ignited.

>white ability is just complete and utter garbage
No it's not. Pure lifegain by itself is shit, lifegain attached to other things is pretty fucking good. What this ability means is that if you are low on life you can activate it couple time to prevent being burst down by burn, and if you are not - well there are other uses for your mana.

True, and even though the added power is kind of pointless in this case, it would still trigger the "When a creature dies" effects of other cards you're sure to have playing Black. Revel in Riches, for example.

1/1s for four are rarely worth it unless they provide some massive advantage upon entering the field. Being an O-Ring on legs doesn't matter much when the body is so easy to remove.

it's not snapcaster, and never will be, but I love effects that allow me to cast opponent's spells.

I agree with this though maybe the fact that he's a vampire means he can be easily buffed or protected.

forgot image

I'll definitely get one for my Ramos EDH builds.

what part do the elder dinosaurs play in the story? I assume they woke up with the golden city.

My Kozilek deck wants nothing more then more ways to dig and generate mana

The placement of the set symbol of the second side of the doublefaced cards in Rivals really irks me. Why not in the top right corner?

My DICK!

>eldrazi lifegain
>exile eldrazi cards from hand
>gateway flips
>coax from blind eternities
>pick a card from the 5 you exiled
>play it immediately

>cast a blue card in your colorless deck

>Add X mana of ANY ONE COLOR

>Cards in a deck may not have any colours in their color identity which are not shared with the commander of the deck.

I think user is playing EDH, and therefore can't legally include blue spells in his deck.

>EDH

He specifically mentioned commander...

What about devoid spells?

>EDH

Most likely it will be trash, but whatever i love it.

how does this work with vizier of many faces?

He actually didn't, eventhough any sane person would imply commander when told kozi deck.

>vizier copies dino
>upon etb checks if it was cast
>it was
>you don't have the colours to actually use it
Source: my ass.

The autists in charge of the rules deemed that devoid spells are still the color type that's in the mana cost.

What?! I have never played commander but that sounds retarded.

Hadana's Ascent 1GU
Legendary Enchantment
At the beginning of combat on your turn, put a +1/+1counter on target creature you control. Then transform ~ if that creature has three or more +1/+1 counters on it.
//
Winged Temple of Orazca
Legendary Land
T: Add one mana of any color
1UG, T: Target creature you control gains flying and gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is its power.

youtu.be/lPhRyfrKy-k

Sheldon is pretty retarded.

Dusk Legion Zealot is a close second, though.

I was just wondering what this would do. Seems.. okay? Backside is strong.

Was kinda overlooking this set with all the stuff coming up, but they really did a good job with some of these without it being too pushed.

>The autists in charge of the rules deemed that devoid spells are still the color type that's in the mana cost.

>play casual format between friends
>still feel the need to stick to some autist's official rules rather then collaborating and choosing what to do together
I will never understand why people play Veeky Forums like every rule is a law.(not criticizing you, just ranting in general)

"Clones" ETB as the card they copy and will trigger ETB effects. They have worked this way since forever.

pretty easy to flip

I don't stick by em, but if someone doesn't have a playgroup and needs to go to an LGS, they usually abide by them.

RIX is blowing XLN out of the damn water - not that XLN was particulary good, but still.

Yeah, it's total horse shit with devoid being such an uncommon mechanic with very tuned down cards.
It's not like it would break the eldrazi commanders, just give you some options besides warping wail and a couple others for spells at least.

Ixalan was good, it's jut Ixalan was all bread while RIX brings all the butter.

how would you even cast them though?

Woah, that's pretty damn strong in the context of a standard and the kind of removal that gets printed now

no, none of you understand the rules. color type is not color identity. artifacts are also colorless, but i can’t put crystal shard in a red deck.

Well you can use mana from stuff of a different color due to a rules change that makes shit like Sen Triplets work now, why get so anal about Devoid and why not put an exception to Devoid so Eldrazi decks can run it?

with mana

We know, but devoid should override that. I mean, it says so on the damn card even.

Because adherence to some easily accessed written-down reference of rules by everyone is what makes things work. And newcomers can freely enter by understanding the rules instead of having to bother people about it every time.

Conversation wouldn't happen if we spent the whole fucking time talking about special circumstances shared by absolutely nobody. That's why when people say, "my X deck could use this" or "nobody around here complains", that's just referencing a personal experience without any consideration that most people don't share that experience.

Nobody gives a single fuck about what you or what your friends think. Likewise nobody cares about what the fuck I do with my friends. But when you and I talk, it has to be based on some sort of common ground - and that common ground, the "best" place for many of us is the one regulated by some faggot authority who fucking sucks at their job.

And the reason why the world fucking sucks so hard is because everyone is standing on an island of their own experience and calling everyone else's island a pile of shit when it would be more productive to stand on a piece of land shared by all and calling it shit together.

It is a very close analog to Flametongue Kavu, so it really shouldn't be ignored. It is certainly the closest thing Standard is ever going to get to FTK ever again.

Yeah, that's not going to do shit. Sol Ring is obviously better than Black Lotus in almost every situation, yet BL is banned and SR isn't.

this card and most artifacts have the same effect as devoid, which is no color type. it’s only legal in blue decks, just like void shatter.

>people actually thought this would be printed at 1 when the stats were previewed
It would have been an almost strictly better Bonesplitter, and Bonesplitter is too good to reprint anymore. That said I expected 2. 3 is still limited playable. Menace is underrated.

They should make an exception for mana sources and devoid spells, obviously. It makes total sense, and with no drawbacks or unfair advantages (i can think of).

Borosfags BTFO!!
How will they ever recover?
;_;

The exception is that the format rule is above the card rule text, not the other way around.

>its a color shifted kessig after pumping your dude
fuck

The boros flip enchantment seems strong. How many 3 mana haste critters are in Standard?

Legitimately a good question, this is prime limited fodder.

are you talking about kessig wolf run? This is nothing like that.

>a land that pumps and gives evasion is nothing like kessig

At least he's the right freaking color this time. Fuck Tiago and ALL Chinks.

>Blood Sun
What the fuck

It doubles the power and gives flying, not mana-sink and trample

just look up ramunap red. Everything there has haste.

kessig realistically costs twice as much as this to pump the same amount, often more and this can't instakill on its own even with infinite mana.

Make karoo lands super effective, shuts down stripmine, it will see play in casual.

Shuts down fetches as well. It's a really weird card.

>this can't instakill on its own even with infinite mana.
Niether can KWR. Both require a creature to deal damage.

>Shuts down fetches as well
OH SHI- it might actually see play in modern as Blood Moon 5+

>hurr
>this can't instakill on its own even with infinite mana
It can if you use it a big enough creature, dummy.

So you agree? They both pump and give evasion.

It is really easy to mistake this as a Blood Moon effect but this card is quite different. This isn't extra copies, this is more of a "choose to use A or B" situation depending on your deck / matchups / etc.

I am getting the feeling they are printing alot of what in other sets woul be considered as mythic uncommon.

>pull fetch from pack for first time today
>go on internet
>see this