What sorts of martial arts arise when you have cybernetics in your universe?

What sorts of martial arts arise when you have cybernetics in your universe?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z4ABXe3jlqQ
youtube.com/watch?v=GZlvn5Oo7vE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

just shocking the fucker

More talking about what people with cybernetics do rather than what to do TOO cybernetics.

i guess that works too.

two people with roughly equal levels of cybernetics and strength always end up agreeing not to fight because their combat co-processors play out every possible scenario and realise that they both get significantly damaged no matter what

that's boring.

You may get more martial arts involving weapons that are concealable within (or possible to incorporate into) cybernetic limbs that weren't easily carriable before. In underground fight clubs and weird countercultures you may find martial arts that assume the user has particular cybernetic augmentations that give them radically inhuman physiology, like disproportionate or extra limbs, a bladed prehensile tail, or a centauroid lower body.

In the novel I'm writing cybernetics have made styles like Tae-Kwon-Do extremely lethal. A simple 45 kick can already deliver over a tonne of force when performed by a seasoned practitioner. With a fully prosthetic body, that force is tripled. People with cybernetics can afford to use combat styles that were previously inefficient or risky, winding up massive kicks that can decapitate in one blow.
Generally the way to fight someone with cybernetics is to use joint locks, as the parts used in the mechanisms are thinner and more vulnerable to bending or breaking.

Ghost in the Shell: Man-Machine Interface (the manga) demonstrates that it is brutal, effective, and completely processor driven, making the one with the better programs combined with better personalization of the skills and tools the winner.

i was thinkin the same thing.

PANZER KUNST

Which Overwatch heroes are these?

What goddamn benefit does having a tail give him, I always wondered.

And to respond to OP, I always lean toward realistic fighting styles, but amplified to the point of ridiculousness, but that's mostly just because I love cool fights.

Anarchy Reigns (Max Anarchy in Nipland). The best arena fighter you will never play.

That's probably fashion Cybernetics. Arguably the best use of cybernetics.

he didn't used ot have it, at least in early concept art.

Since guns were invented at some point in the past, martial arts are irrelevant and trash. The cyborg with most and best built-in guns wins any encounter.

The original ones that Blizzard ripped off

>durga was just gonna berevolver ocelot with a fucking gun for a leg

I mean, cyber-furry isn't much of an improvement but goddamn these are cool to look at.

Yeah but we still have martial artists. If people will pay to watch two humans fight, they'll pay to watch two cyborg athletes go at it.

>Implying theres a thing such as an equal fight

Marksmanship.

hack-jitsu

>What goddamn benefit does having a tail give him, I always wondered.

Probably the same as for animals. Used in balancing, possibly prehensile?

A lot of the same shit but with Cyber- or Neo-

So Neo-karate and Cyber-joga

Intense directed pulses of EM to disable cybernetics while keeping oneself out of range of effect. Naturally, the bulkier models have larger space for shielding and can take greater advantage of these weapons without hurting themselves.

Quite ineffective on pure organics, but being able to bench press a semi counts for something.

Don't be ridiculous. Guns didn't stop the widespread close-quarters fighting of either WWI or WWII or even Vietnam and building a gun into yourself would be impractical and most likely illegal in most countries outside of the US. I mean, think about it. What happens if a gun that's built into you jams? Or worse, needs maintenance?

It's better to keep the guns external from the cyborg on almost all cases.

MY personal favourite is the good old fashioned "I have overwhelming juggernaut strength". There's something really fantastical about playing a character who's basically Terminatoring after an enemy or other PC.

>no online multiplayer
gimped themselves from the get-go

As much as I like local multiplayer, it's not as common to have 4 controllers and get everyone to one person's house.

Uhh, As i recall there was no local multiplayer. and to play in someone's house you had to set up a lan party.

No splitscreen at all.

shit maybe I mixed the two up in my head.

I meant NOT being able to play local multuplayer was a pain.

Dim Mak now actually works, but you're turning off parts by striking at wires and chipsets

cybog swordman

Martial arts that use holds or anything that relies on being up close would most likely fade out - getting close to someone who has pneumatic gripping power is a death sentence.

There would probably be more focus on strikes and dodges to avoid getting hit by feet and fists made of alloy or whatever. Big focus on the use of weapons to level the playing field, or attacking vulnerable spots on a cyborg. Nothing too specific, like "Find an electrical socket and smash his face into it", probably more like "Look for hard things and smack them in the squishy bits".

And I'm not even considering fucking Doctor Octopus levels of cybernetics. At that point, you just gotta shoot him.

Supplexing mechas the size of apartment buildings.

RULES OF NATURE

Adding to and , it could also be an antenna or something. But it's Anarchy Reigns, they ain't gotta explain shit.

Best part about him is his combination of kick-based martial arts amplified with shots from his leg cannon.
Dude's probably my fave character to play, with Douglas a close second, because PILE BUNKERS IN HIS HANDS.

Also has one of the best soundtracks ever
youtube.com/watch?v=z4ABXe3jlqQ

Fuck yeah, i allways loved the idea of cybernetics uplifting martial arts into something useable in an actual war.

Just a shame that building weapons into your own body defeats one of the biggest advantages of modern weaponry; modularity.

Need to kill a guy way over there? Pick up a rifle with some nice optic.

Need to breach and enter an apartment? Throw that cumbersome thing down and grab an SMG.

Tank comming your way? Good thing it only takes 2 seconds to pick up an RPG.

Time to kill a motherfucker stealthily? Well, unsheath that knife baby.

It's just hard to pack all that shit into a cyberlimb and justify the excess weight when it's not in use.

But hey, im willing to suspend disbelief.

I love Douglass for his pile bunkers and his theme, which is "get off my lawn you damn kids" in rap form.

>It's just hard to pack all that shit into a cyberlimb and justify the excess weight when it's not in use.

Lasers solve the weight problem.

All in all deus ex style cybernetics make more sense, inherent strength, stealth and aim stabilizers coupled with some integrated optics that link into your neurofeed.

I mean, it's so inconvenient to be 3 people to man a crew served weapon. Why not just one super strong dude?

The two things that come to mind to me is martial arts incorporating the usage of various hidden implanted weapons, and martial arts based around moves that require a higher freedom of motion than an unaugmented human can do.

A cyborg could potentially bend and rotate their limbs in ways a normal human couldn't, which would open up a for a lot of new techniques, and make locking grips plain useless unless you knew the exact limits of your specific opponent's joints.

Any moves based around chocking out or causing debilitating pain would also be useless if the cyborg's neck is made of rigid material and they have some way to disable the sensation of pain.

Lasers are currently one of the most space and weight inneficient weays to wreck shit on the go.

I mean, yeah, with sci-fi tech they may not be, but wouldn't ballistic firearms also improve with hypothetical sci-fi advances in material sciences and chemistry?

That's interesting. I would have actually gone the opposite route and made joint locks completely ineffective since cybernetic joints have a much larger range of movement than natural joints (I mean, how do you joint lock say an actual ball socket)

Anyway, I would agree though that striking based martial arts would become the king, since those are what is most suited for super strong limbs.

I can actually see Capoeira becoming extremely effective. The main thing holding Capoeira back is how tiring the moves are. If done with an artificial limb, that problem is eliminated.

How about Oinkie's running sounds being "baconbaconbaconbacon" and finishing with "BITS" when he dash attacks?
Or his pig puns in general.
I honestly didn't expect him to be as quick as he was the first time I played him.

Douglas is my fucking boy and the fact that his palms drive a fucking stake through shit, and he's old and clunky looking to boot is the best damn thing.

I came here to post this.

the pile bunker arms, the old riveted metal aesthetic, and the shape of his feet remind me a bit of Big O.

Aug-kido

The martial art where your arm is actually a gun and you shoot the poor retard trying to engage you in had-to-hand combat.

>wouldn't ballistic firearms also improve with hypothetical sci-fi advances in material sciences and chemistry?
Yes, but regardless of those advantages you can't escape the fact that a ballistic weapon needs to carry ammo while a laser weapon literally shoots light. So assuming the weight of these theoretical future guns is comparable, the real question is how the weight of a theoretical future laser power source compares to the weight of an equal amount of shots worth of theoretical future ammo. And I'm certainly not an expert, but I'm willing to bet that the former has a lot more room for optimization than the latter, since making ballistic ammo lighter isn't necessarily a good thing.

>Yes, but regardless of those advantages you can't escape the fact that a ballistic weapon needs to carry ammo while a laser weapon literally shoots light.

They still require energy to laze whichever rays they're using, which will be stored in mediums with less energy density than smokeless powder. That kinda is the main problem.

Panzer Kunst.

Good job not reading past the first sentence, I guess?

>using a humanoid morph
You may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like.

Came here to mentioned dis. Good taste user.

yes.

>Martial Art: Panzer Kunst
>First dot: functions like a basic martial art, can upgrade bashing based hand-to-hand attacks to lethal damage at a -1 penalty against cyborg/robot enemies, and also provides soak die (-1 penalty to other people or an additional die in contested rolls) equal to your ranks in Panzer Kunst against attempts to grapple you.

>2nd dot: someone skilled to this degree in the Panzer Kunst can now use their Martial Art:Panzer Kunst skill when using bladed weapons as well as fighting unarmed.

>3rd dot: Hertzschlag. By storing up and channeling a vibration at 100Hz into an enemies vital points, someone trained in the Panzer Kunst can, once per scene, add one point of aggravated damage in an attack against a cyborg or armored target using their bare hands, ignoring any armor soak entirely.

>4th dot: Hertzer Fahren; Performing a Hertzslag upon an armored target in one turn allows the user of Panzer Kunst to remove armor from the target with a follow up attack the next turn or later rather than doing damage immediately.

5th dot: Einsatzrhythmen; can now gain soak dice equal to dots in Panzer Kunst against any melee or hand-to-hand attack not just grapples.

A thought I had is that martial arts designed around disabling by inflicting pain would fade out and be replaced by styles designed to cause as much physical damage as possible. Like others in the thread have said, joint locks don't seem like a very viable method when ranges of motion vary from model to model, and they just plain don't hurt because your goddamn limb is made of metal and plastic.

In short, martial arts would probably become cinematic as FUCK. It would be all power moves, great big swings and kicks, improvised weaponry, and the focus would be to utterly obliterate your enemy.

Well, both yes and no. Getting technical here.

The main problem of a small battery isnt really energy density, there is no hard physical cap on that, the main problem is that when you shrink a battery, the waste heat from converting chemical energy into electrical energy becomes condensed in a smaller place. In other words battery goes boom.

I mean, in a sense gunpowder is a just a very very efficient disposeable chemical battery. And as for the concept of weightless light - with hyperefficient methods of transferring that chemical energy into a moving projectile, you wouldnt need very heavy bullets either.

Like those elder shuriken tossers that shave shurikens off a block of shuriken crystal or some shit.

Also, besides the point is that lasers are just plain shit for wrecking stuff that isn't shedding the gasses that arise from being evaporated with a laser.

Like, the first pulse you hit a stationary target with evaporate the top 1 milimeter of the target, the next 100 pulses just hit the smoke/debris cloud.

There would be 2 main adjustments to martial arts with cybernetics, assuming you keep basic human morphology.

1) You stop having to teach people to overcome the mental block on damaging your own body.

Your body is stronger and tougher than you think, but your brain is hardwired to limit your strength and avoid injury.

This is where the 'Tard Strength, Mom Strength, or PCP strength comes from. Trauma, mental defect, chemicals override this hardwired limit.

And pushing too far can result in muscle and joint damage.

That is a thing of the past with cybernetics. You don't really worry about hitting to hard with a hammer, do you? Well, now your fist is a hammer.

2) is body conditioning, at least for striking arts. It takes months or years to properly condition knuckles, shins, feet, hands, fingers to strike full power and not break.

Implants along those surfaces would eliminate the hundreds or thousands of hours that go into this and extend the life of the bone.

Repeated stress injuries are why you don't see Nak Thai with long careers. Now they could continue competing at a high level longer.

>hacking based martial arts

I imagine the martial arts would change not because of what someone with cybernetics could do, but because of what someone without them would need to do to someone with them. So much of the common sense of how the human body works that martial arts techniques are predicated on would by necessity go out the window.
What good is something as simple as an eye-jab (in concept, if not execution) if anyone you run into is going to have eyeballs made of titanium or whatever. Cybernetics by definition are things that compensate for if not outright remove the inherent weaknesses and failings of the human body, which are also the things that martial arts are designed to target. The two actually have fairly poor chemistry.
>pic somewhat related

Consider that kung-fu blade-leg bitch from that movie kingsman.

That image is some Grade AAA bullshit

I know right. I think the author may have come out and admitted he fucked up big time, but I might be mistaken.

I like the part about the impractical bit, as I imagine moer impractical moves would be used far more by superhumans and such.

If some one is taking their time with a big, fuck you kick then they deserve the weaker but still lethal strait jab. Having more power doesn't excuse slow attacks. If anything, all parties will have to start thinking and moving very fast. If any grip destroys and every hit crumples then a cybernetic fight would mean the first person to make a mistake is instantly crushed.

iirc in the next pages the other Herald (Oh yeah BP isn't squaring up to just ONE ex-herald of Galactus, but TWO) zaps panther, and Surfer complains that he wanted to find out more info and was letting him grapple him

What you're describing sounds like sword combat, from Japan, for instance. A single hit from a sword would be lethal, so certain forms developed to get the killing strike as soon as possible. Some MMA fighters fight like this too, trying to get the knockout hit as soon as possible because nothing else really matters.

So if every hit was lethal, maybe cyber martial arts will start to resemble Iaido or something like that.

It won't be equal, there'll be one winner and one loser, but the winner will be ravaged no matter what the scenario and it's rarely worth it.

>0 results for "rocket punch"

for shame Veeky Forums, for shame

youtube.com/watch?v=GZlvn5Oo7vE

Maybe less focus on joint locks and more about striking techniques, maybe with some flashy movies to distract opponent and fuck with his combat software, looking for blind spots in their vision and focusing on attacking head, because concussion always works, no matter how cybered he is?

Clang fu

>You will never get to play your dream setting that's a cyberpunk mashup of Anarchy Reigns and Metal Gear Rising about a bunch of jacked up cyborgs rocket kicking and pneumatic punching the shit out of each other.

It's probably not "realistic" but my take has always been that cybernetics would actually make certain types of cqc viable again simply due to the removal of basic anatomical weaknesses of the human body while enhancing our frankly mediocre natural force projection to absurd levels. And that's not even going into cybernetic enhancements that would go beyond the restrictions of human physiology. Imagine the kind of insane martial arts that would evolve in a world with MGR style cybernetics technology. Multiple limbs, tentacles, whatever the fuck Monsoon's deal is, etc.

To counter all law enforcement and special ops teams would likely use judo or throws to try and use the force and momentum of Cybernetic adversaries against them

Damn it, now you're making me want to go back to trying to make a generic character action game rules system to run that shit in. Ever since that one bayonetta hombrew thread way back I've been thinking it needs to happen.

Any kind of style that can mess with cybernetics is going to be killer. Being able to fuck up targeting, disable control nerves or servos, and render your cyberarm little more than a hunk of metal hanging off your shoulder are going to be the kind of shit that win fights among the unscrupulous or the desperate.

yeah nah, just put a high powered tazer in your arm, just fucking shock the poor bastard

Writer here. The thing is, a weaker straight jab wouldn't be lethal to a guy with the titanium bones and carbon-fibre musculature. It's the moves with massive force that win fights, because they can take off limbs or decapitate. A neck is still a neck, it needs to be flexible to provide situational awareness, which means it is still a vulnerable collection of small parts. Speed and power are the name of the game, but a fight can be ended almost instantly by a joint lock because it's impossible to escape someone who has the crushing strength of industrial machinery. Non-lethal combat typically lasts a few rounds because nobody wants to be the guy that takes off their opponent's head and gets banned from the circuit. In a life-or-death scenario, fights usually end within seconds because someone loses a limb or their head.

>Arm
If you're gonna replace your skin with nano-weave carbon-fiber bullshit, why not give it a conductive exterior layer as well?
Pros:
>Faraday-cage protection against electrical attacks, any current applied to you will flow over your skin and into the ground without harming you
>you could easily rig something up to make your skin crackle with fucking electricity for tazerhugs
>literally any physical contact with you while you're in cqc mode will stun someone who is not properly protected against electrical attacks.
Cons:
>???

Iron Fist.