EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Spoils of Orazca Edition

When Last We Left Our Heroes: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
Rivals of Ixalan has now been spoiled in full. What's your favorite card?

Other urls found in this thread:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&color= @(|[G]|[W]|[C])&type= ["Planeswalker"]
deckstats.net/decks/99355/885483-tana-and-tymna-hatebears
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Rivals of Ixalan has now been spoiled in full. What's your favorite card?

pretty easy

my favorite is this guy.
runner up is elenda for that jank combo potential

Vona's Hunger for my Toshiro Umezawa deck.

Nezahal, primal tide makes me want to play “Big Terrible Blue Fatties” tribal, so I guess it is what I’m most excited about.

Shoutouts to Zacama and Elena as runner ups

Just plugging this and the blue one in my jhoira big stuff deck because it seems like fun

I really like this guy. he's 100% going to be in a deck, now I just have to decide if I like him enough to change Kami of the Crescent Moon out for the commander slot.

I like this a lot.
>flip side is tap, pay 3GB for reanimating target creature in your graveyard
>on a fucking land

Thassa seems like an ideal Commander for SeaMonsters.dec

Definitely Zacama, I can't wait to build it when I get the chance.

If I ever build Sidisi/Damia reanimator, this guy's going in.
>Jin plus Nezahal
>the new B/G aura/land

>Trying to build a dino-edh
>don't know of i should use pic related or Gishath
Personally I like gishath better because I liked using commanders like Mayael to bust out eldrazi but Zacama has great utility with flicker effects.

I really have to wonder about people like you. Is it bait? Are you retarded? We'll never know.

Zacama doesn't work with flicker effects, you need to cast him AND have him hit the battlefield for his trigger. It's dumb, I know.
Go with Gishath, Zacama isn't a tribal commander, he's a toolbox commander.

>It's dumb, I know.

It's a lesson hard learned from Palinchron and friends.

Pretty sure the consensus is that if you want dino tribal gishath is the pick
Zacama is pretty much just a worse naya goodstuff commander as far as i can tell
sucks about the lack of synergy between the two

This is pretty good, but my favorite must go to pic related. I can't wait for it's inclusion in my Ayli cleric tribal.

>if you cast it
Oh fuck

Let's see.
Gishath actually helps you get out loads of dinosaurs in addition to being a generally acceptable hasty beatstick.
This fat fuck is a fat motherfucker who doesn't actually do anything for dinosaurs.
Put Zacama in your Gishath deck. Only viable perspective.

I love this card.

My friend think Ascend is going to be busted, I think it'll be OK but not great, and definitely not splashable.
What's your opinion?

>go to activate Azor's Gateway for the 5th time to flip
>in response, [artifact removal]
That's going to happen every time, I hope you know that. The second you play Azor's gateway, people will hold onto their removal until you get close to flipping. Each player also has 4 rotations to find an answer.

The Gishath VS Zacama debate makes me wonder what Veeky Forums hates more: tribal decks or goodstuff decks.

Zacama is for arcane adaptation toolbox "dinosaurs."

a sac engine, panharmonicon, and can go infinite provided you use the gain life ability once each go

Yeah uh, 7 mana to take two extra turns is pretty neato.

It's not going to be busted. It's mostly on cards that are overcosted without ascend and slightly above curve when you have it. They all rely on you getting late-game enough to turn it on. Obviously this is easier in EDH, but it's more like Formidable than anything else.

me3 but also wanna buld jank with pic

It feels like we might get a Rakdos Treasure deck with this and Revel in Riches.

Even if it never flips the looting effect is still solid. Especially in mono colored decks that struggle with card draw like mono white. Its a nice card all around

Looking forward to this a lot. Especially with couldstone curio out for yet another infinite combo in my deck

>yet another infinite combo
I like janking people out better, DESU

Marionnete Master lives for shit like this, spell swindle and revel in riches already let me shoot people to death while dishing out a second wave with something like torment of hailfire

Just totem armor->extra land that creates one of any color is pretty decent in itself for 3, and then you get that on top.
This one will be extremely powerful in this format.

This is the only card that actually jumps out at me besides the BG reanimate land. I think this might be very good in Omnath, Locus of Rage as one of the 99.

I think I found a way to flip Azor's Gateway without exiling cards!\

now who wants to try it?

purp too

>it dies to removal eveytime
i know its slow, but hear me out

im running slobad and clock of omens. i can protect it by sacing junk i want to sac anyway, or flip it faster/again to make the removal fizzle. also looting aint too bad alone.

No Legacy thread up so I thought I'd ask here. Is it true that Alluren is back?

Gonna try and find a spot for this guy in Marchesa's combat triggers

is ascend a triggered ETB ability on permanents, or a static ability that just hands you the city's blessing if you ever have ten permanents while it's on the battlefield?

static.

I have an enchantment deck with Sisay as Commander. I haven't played since around the release of Ahmonket, have I missed anything special?

Fairly certain it's the latter

so you can just create enough elemental tokens to get the blessing and not have to lose the tokens.

I believe that it goes on the stack with a spell with Ascend and when that resolves Ascend is part of the order of operations of the spell or when you own 10 or more permanents and a creature you control has Ascend.

PWs are Legendary, so she can tutor them up now too.

Sea Monster themed deck.

Go standard Thassa, or Zegana to allow a bit of fun with Green? Or Wrexal for tribal?

I wish this card had a better ability. The art is probably the most gorgeous art in MTG.

>Marionnete Master
now i wanna build rakdos artifacts, thanks user

That's fucking disgusting. Any that would be really busted on tutor?

Boros has a recurring curse of cards with great art and not-great playability.

Not really. Planeswalkers in EDH aren't very good unless they can do something powerful the turn they come down, like Ugin. Otherwise, you need to build around making them good.

Aurelia's Fury is good though.

possibly dumb question but what happens with tokens when they're hit by exile ETBs "until X leaves the battlefield"? do they return or just dissapear into nowhere for good on the exile?

I've tried a lot of walkers and come to the same conclusion, I just never thought of them from a "I can have this every game" perspective because I didn't think they'd do it.

the token stops existing if it leaves the battlefield. Literally "ceases to exist".

Probably just like, Ugin or something. But here's your list of choices, in case you're still interested.

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&color= @(|[G]|[W]|[C])&type= ["Planeswalker"]

There's all sorts of utility now. Need to deal with a troublesome artifact or enchantment? Here comes Freyalise. Need a board wipe, or maybe some bodies? Big Elspeth on the way. Need to be sure you'll survive next combat? Gideon, you're up.

I already have creatures for all that though. Maybe the wipe, Myojin is kind of shit.

>not magiccards.info
Thanks though.

If you say so? The only thing it has going for it is being instant-speed, but Boros has always sucked at making extra mana.

Scryfall is better in terms of layout and image quality, for what it's worth.

It's more about having one more way to stop your opponents from interacting with you the turn that you go off.

Ethersworn Canonist
Grand Abolisher
Aurelia's Fury
etc

Like I said, I haven't played in a while, but that definitely looks nice. I'll try it out, thanks!

I've got a friends who's crazy for PWs and getting their ults off is his favourite thing in Magic, which makes it crazy easy for me to abuse the fuck out of the only one I control.

I got so much done with her that I become Arch-Enemy every time she's played now.

My deck is basically the Meren precon and it's garbage in comparison to every other deck in our group, but everyone runs GY hate just for me because of how wild I got with Lilly

deckstats.net/decks/99355/885483-tana-and-tymna-hatebears
Sugestions? It's basically a toned down not fully competitive version of Blood Pod

Big Elspeth is probably one of the most immediately impactful planeswalkers. Either she saves your ass, or becomes a must-answer torrent of soldiers.

As for other suggestions, depending on the quality of your creatures, Garruk Primal Hunter can draw you some ridiculous number of cards. Nissa, Vital Force can either be a big Eternal Witness or turn into a free, easy card advantage engine.

I find Liliana of the Dark Realm to be a welcome addition in any deck with a black identity if only because swampfinding is nice.
This is of course off the subject as Sisay does not have a black identity.

I'm actually very creature-light, I prefer cards like Ghostly Prison for defense. I'll probably test out Big Elspeth and Nissa. Thanks for the help.

I hate superfriends decks with all my soul. I would gladly allow a lone Lili, Defiant Necromancer to get out of control if it meant the superfriends player gets fucked.

Superfriends players are as bad as izzet players

>hey guys just let me break out my quirky and unique five color superfriends deck. It runs ghostly prison effects, isn't that funny?

Edgar players are as bad as superfriends players.

>Hey guys let me break out this unique vampire tribal deck! It plays a special go wide strategy and has some great sacrifice effects, pretty cool huh?

Ghostly Prison doesn't even protect planeswalkers

Edgar players are the new Oloro players aren't they?

How did wotc not learn from the oloro backlash that effects you can't interact with in the command zone are shit?

[Archetype/Commander I don't like] players are as bad as [Other Archetype/Commander I don't like]
>Hey guys let me break out this unique [Predictable strategy for Archetype/Commander] It plays [Effects and cards expected to that strategy]

new jace + doubling season is hilarious tho, just drown the board in jace.

I'd like my friend to build Superfriends because he loves Planeswalkers and he keeps building decks and pulling them apart every 2 weeks and he'd definitely keep that deck together.

He also has an incredibly expensive library due to being really luck in our drafts, and he also started using Oloro as a proxy commander, so I will happily sacc and slap him for a while before he makes Superfriends.

Being someone in a group of 5 where 4 bought the Eminence commander sets nothing is more frustrating and lacking in interaction as Eminence. It sucks balls.

>two people in our group play vampire and dragon
>suggest the other legendary creatures in the precon
>"nah they are boring"
>they just discovered oloro
>both fighting over who gets to play him

eminence was a mistake

>hey guys just let me break out my quirky and unique five color superfriends deck. It runs ghostly prison effects, isn't that funny?
I don't mean to defend izzet players or PW decks, but can't this statement be applied to everything
>hey guys let me break out my unique elfball deck. It has several ways to go infinite mana and overrun with Ezuri and multiple ways to tutor up craterhoof. Isn't that funny?
>hey guys, let me break out my daretti deck. It runs all sorts of artifact loops to make my turns agonizingly long where you don't know if I have game or not. Isn't that great?

>Edgar players are the new Oloro players aren't they?

theyre more like an unholy mixture of oloro players and kaalia players. you have the lazy command zone bullshit value from oloro but also the obnoxious and retardedly quickly metastasizing board cancer from kaalia. edgar players also seem a little slow too, unless theyre new players

>hey guys, let me break out my Jasmine Boreal deck. It runs a bunch of shitty jank and never wins, but it makes me feel morally superior to you guys with predictable cookie-cutter decks. Pretty unique, huh?

I'm mostly excited for her Standard playability as a possible replacement for Vineshaper Mystic in Merfolk, but I'm probably getting a few extra copies for EDH. Explore is so fucking busted

there is literally nothing wrong with playing izzet

The Most Annoying Pre-Con Commanders of Their Years

2011: Kaalia
2013: Oloro though admittedly, a LOT of the Commanders that year are pretty fucking bonkers and are interchangeable in this slot
2014: Daretti
2015: Meren
2016: Atraxa
2017: Edgar

Let me describe every izzet game to you:

A coin flip. There is a 50% chance when going off that an izzet player will fizzle out due to disruption or bad math on their part. However, instead of being decent and just flipping a coin, the izzet player will make you sit through a ten to twenty minute series of complicated interactions. At the end, when they fail, blowing their load ineffectively all over the table and ensuring that someone else wins the game next turn, they'll look at you over their pile of 99% staple izzet cards and tell you unironically that you should play more unique cards in the spirit of the format.

i don't even remember which year derevi is from but holy fucking shit how can it not be your most annoying pre-con commander

It bothers me that we both got no multicolored explore cards, or anything that does anything with explore in the new set.

As noted in the spoiler, 2013 was a shitstorm.

every year, I find the commander precons, more specifically the main commanders, more and more boring and pushed. They just seem kinda... meh. And many of them are mistakes in design because WotC thinks that Commander is more powerful than it usually is. I'm often more interested in the general themes and secondary commanders in the precons, like Mairsil, Kaseto, and O-Kagachi (whose card was partially butchered by being a secondary commander).

I think WotC just doesn't know how to design good commanders in these precons

How do you get 2 extra turns?
How does cloudstone curio work here?

Inalla bro.

this discussion reminded me to update my commanders.jpg for the year

if its with Inalla as commander, its like this:

> cast Navigator, pay for Inalla trigger
> Navigator token etb's
> Curio triggers, return original Navigator to hand
> pay for token, take extra turn
> repeat each turn ad nauseum

Oh right. I totally didn't make that connection

>people still using clan/guild/shard names for color identity
>WotC gave official names to 4-color but the autism doesn't reach that far I guess
>decks without a single 3-color card are still called "mardu", etc.
>3-color cards without a watermark are still called "jund"
>clans/guilds/shards had thematics that don't apply universally to their color identity
>clans/guilds/shards have been out of Standard for years now but new players still have to learn what the fuck they mean

>WotC gave official names to 4-color but the autism doesn't reach that far I guess

They didn't, they just chose themes to use for the four color decks.

how come I don't see more people complaining about taigam anyways?

Yeah, but they're the autistic ones, not you, clearly.

>no Derevi
Oloro is annoying.

Derevi is turbocancer.

What I've been looking for in a RGx commander for a while. Not the strongest by far, but I think he'll be fun.
Not dino tribal