EDH/Commander General /edhg/

>EDH/Commander General /edhg/
>Nostalgia Edition

>Link to the prequel: >>

>RESOURCES

>>Latest News:
>mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
>mtgcommander.net

>>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
>tappedout.net

>>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
>edhrec.com/

>>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
>manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCH

>>Official search site. Current for all sets.
>gatherer.wizards.com/

>>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
>magiccards.info

>>Thread Question
>What is your first commander and do you still have it? What was the deck like originally?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/urist-mcdwarf/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-10-17-creatureless-mogis/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/depala-the-dwarves/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/welcome-to-boatmurdered/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Thread question
Nekusar, and yes I still have him. For me at least, he's far too consistent to take apart. That and I fucking hate durdling with a passion because that's normally all my playgroup wants to do. He was originally a glass cannon deck but I found a lot more success after adding in control elements.

First commander was the Ob Nixilis pw. Didn't much care for it, lost most of it. Tried Meren (still my cardfu) and newzuri, both were cool but got repetitive. Built Xenagod and never had more fun than that. Currently building Gishath and had to cannibalize Xenagod because I'm cheap. Should still be fun tho

Who are some good commanders I can do land shenanigans with? I already made titania. Preferably with white and red

I have been gone since Eldritch Moon. What cool new commanders and cards for commander have I missed?

i actually quit, im considering getting back in if enough cool shit has been added

Well what kind of play style do you enjoy?

I enjoyed variety, really. I played pretty much every archetype. I'm just curious if anything interesting or different has been added. Things were stale for a while.

Honestly if you are too stupid to make the thread correctly then why do you even do it?

People who fuck up the OP should be perma banned.

>just bought a bad lands and a plateau for my alesha deck

what the fuck am i even doing with my life?

>Wahh wahh I don't like thing
Stop being mad that the text isn't in right colours, since at least we have a thread.

post em

hey dip shit, its not the color of the text. its that people search the catalog to find the thread and if they cant find it by subject the thread moves slow as fuck

Just came up with the idea of a Dwarf Fortress inspired deck commanded by Depala, Pilot Exemplar. Vehicles, dwarves, probably land destruction. Any way to make this even semi viable? I'm a newb as far as deck creation goes.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/urist-mcdwarf/

you missed our lord and master Edgar Markov who was created as THE perfect Vampire tribal AND Storm commander

>Gisa and Geralf
Basically flavorland zombie deck. Endless ranks of the dead, rooftop storm, relentless dead, etc

>Oloro/Sen
Same deck. Stax Nightmare. This deck is basically my big red button for when game night needs to come to an end. Humility, Greater Auramancy, and an Enduring Ideal combo that is a guaranteed game ender if EI lands

>Zurgo Helmsmasher
Voltron, so tons of equipment. Favorite combo is Zurgo + Worldslayer

>Athreos
Shadowborn Apostle combo deck. Edgewalker, Blood Artist, Thrumming Stone,Ob Nixilis, Unshackled, etc

>Mikaeus
$20 triskelion combo, this was my first deck, needed something cheap to get ASAP and play with my friends when I started

>Titania
Landfall/Land Manipulation and elemental tokens. Crucible of Worlds, Azusa, Scapeshift

>Jarad
Graveyard shenanigans + lifeloss. Death's Shadow/Phyrexian Dreagnought + Varolz, the scar-striped. Also Mortivore and Lord of Extinction

>Gishath
Don't have this one finished yet, waiting for RIX. Basically big dinosaurs smacking things. Gonna try for Gishath hit into Congregation at Dawn + Etali, Ghalta, Zetalpa/Zacama.

>Gishath
tell me about the ramp in gishath, how do you deal with the fact that dinos have an average curve of like 6

Oh fuck, this is embarassing. I even double checked everything, still forgot the subject

This block is tribal and dinosaurs and vampires got a lot of toys.
Full spoilers are out
Oh, there's dinosaurs now.
People are bitching about eminence, still.
If you're into standard, it's still lame. Energy is still the best deck, rr is still trailing behind.
Modern is pretty cool tho

Hazezon Tam is the only one that I can think of with both white and red in it. If you're willing to slide on those colors, Noyan Dar is a blast and a very unique effect.

There have been some very interesting legends printed that could offer you some unique build around me experiences. However, nothing has drastically changed the metagame except for eminence which is cancer.

>when your so worried about some shitty edition joke you actually just fuck up the thread completely

Never make a thread again.

???

Not him, but it seems similar to xenagod. All the ramp sorceries, some dorks or dudes that fetch land, and cost reducers.
Hope to ramp fast enough to cast gishath and attack for more than 5 to start filling the board.

everytime i see gishath i cant help but just think "shitty ur dragon"

Well like I said, I haven't finished it yet. But cards like Kinjalli's Caller and Otepec Huntmaster help. Gaea's Cradle and Growing Rites, Mirari's Wake and Living Plane. Plus a couple mana rocks and the usual ramp sorceries

No promises.

How? The ur Dragon just gets you 1 on the field, and scion just becomes whatever you put in the gy. What am I missing?

can you share your mogis deck?

The fact that scion gets you exactly what you want on the field for a turn and is good.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-10-17-creatureless-mogis/

Fair enough user.
But consider this:
Gishath looks way more cool

not really, looks like wotc wanted to fag up dinos way too much

Well in addition to terrible card evaluation, I'm also going to add terrible taste in art to your diagnosis.

I have a problem with Edgar, how do you win besides attacking with huge tokens? Especially in Boardswipe: The Format.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some big vamps but the aggro strategy gets old.

Edgar is the easiest commander to use if you want to turn guys sideways. If you can't do it with him, you can't really do it with anyone. Your meta is either too powerful for the strategy to be relevant anymore or you just suck and aren't adding in enough card draw.

valuetown.

cliffhaven vampire and excuisite blood

I want to build an Edgar with a lifegain sub-theme with Aetherflux Reservoir. Thoughts or ideas?

>not being so secure in your masculinity that you parade around in bright feathers to attract a mate
Soyboy
U.

my current decks, i think karametra is secretly better than i give her credit for

You can do whatever, hes mardu. Ive won after getting mindslavered by emerakul with edgar reanimate so you can do whatever with thisncommander.

>thread question
OG Borborygmos where every nonland card had the Gruul watermark. It was garbo, but I beat a Memnarch list with it once because he wasn't drawing lands and I cast both Wreak Havoc and Frenzied Tilling on him. Good times.

That deck ultimately evolved into a Xenagod list, but I still have OG Borborygmos in the 99 for nostalgia's sake.

My playgroup is allowing chinese fakes starting next week, where can I buy some decent looking ones?

Had a dream last night where I was flipping out over a Thassa list that ran some infinite combo as a primary wincon and infect/proliferate control as backup. Now I want to see if it can actually work. Is there anything not immediately obvious one would put in a mono-U infect deck?

>commander/archetype looks fun
>it's in UGx

every time goddamn

What are some other lands that win games?

Look for the bootlegmagic reddit and ask there

UGx is just the most powerful combo in magic EDH. blue and green gives you almost every best effect you can possibly have in the format and the very small amount of stuff it cant do is always covered from the other color(s) you add

the point is that i'm not looking to make a powerful deck, i just want to play a fun archetype or commander and it's always at least partially in UG

Plenty of fun shit outside of UG. In fact look through the Mardu options and tell me none of them look great

most of them don't

UG also together cover basically everything you can do in magic aside from shit like burn. idk what you want user your asking to not use half od the color pie

What are some good life gain spells?

try china

approach of the second sun
swords to plowshares
griselbrand

It's not enough to shill with your own threads, huh?

im not shilling though? im just asking where to buy them. if your going to use a word you should know what it means user

Brewing Tazri Ally tribal.

>tribal
>brewing

It boggles my mind how people can think jamming the 30 best of X tribe into a deck think they are brewing anything. At best you are doing math to figure out your mana base.

Who hurt you?

What's wrong user, get your anus stretched to the size of a shower drain from elves or vamps?

>he fink me stoopid so he mus be jelus of my powahful and yonik edgar deck

Haven't really been playing much EDH lately, so this hasn't changed in a while.

>"build" brainlet deck
>lol u mad? Xd

0/4, with (-1) for thinking "random oops i win combos" is something worth noting in an izzet deck. Fuck you, I bet you think it's "quirky" and "unique" you fucking faggot. Worst roster i've ever seen.

F---------------------------------------

6/6, perfect score. You are a scholar and a gentleman

Judging you on your current commanders: 1/3.
Judging you on your current+testing: 3/6.
Judging you on everything: 5/11.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/urist-mcdwarf/
The answer is always more MLD and board wipes (especially since you can manipulate vehicles to survive whipes).

can I see your dwarf deck? I had the same idea today

A must have in all decks

This is the current version, that's mostly just fun and needs to be updated for AER, much less later blocks.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/depala-the-dwarves/

This was me theorycrafting a more destructive version:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/welcome-to-boatmurdered/

>gets beated by a tribal deck
>cries in an asian comic forum

Please be gentle I started playing less than a year ago.
Also, I lent that Kalemne deck to my best friend in exchange for his edgy innistrad jank for my Mairsil deck, but it's not ready yet.

>all decks
what. a lot of decks don't win by swinging with one big creature.

i really need to go back and update my terrible mono-white jank deck. it's never going to be good but it was the second deck i made and it shows.

>no green
user wtf are you doing?

after silver-bordered cards are no longer legal, someone comes to EDH night at your lgs with a foiled out Grusilda deck with the commander as the only un-card.

do you let him play the deck?

>boring boros card instead of one of the interesting ones.
>three izzet decks.

0/4. I'll let you off with a warning because of your inexperience, but you need to fix your shit before your next rating. If you continue on this path you will receive a failing grade.

investing :^)

I don't really have a lot of good green and used to play Izzet on my "Standard" (more like playing with the same 5 guys every week on my small town) days so that's what I had lying around. I want to build a Golgary or Naia deck some time in the future, though.

I like Boros I just didn't like Kolemne. I actually got a bunch of boosters from my brother from christmas, two of them were Kaladesh and I pulled a Depala, which I'm considering building (since I don't have the money for a proper Sram deck right now and the other booster came with a Sky Sovereign).

Why haven't you guys made a Nemata deck yet? You've got no idea what you are missing.
Also Sporemound + Life and Limbs combo.

>golgary
>naia

is this bait?

I'm not saying boris is boring, but your commander choice definitely is. Consider any of the boros angels for a more mechanically and thematically interesting commander.

Anybody have any good/funny/frustrating stories about EDH? I'll start:

> playing casual O-Kagachi Spirit tribal, not doing badly at table
> cast Myojin of Night's Reach, make everyone else discard their hands before my turn
> Draw Kindred Boon
> Its late game, so there are plenty of lands and 2 opponents left
> cast Kindred Boon, activate it on Myojin twice
> make each player discard their hand on their draw step
> maniacally laugh

I didn't mean to create a lockdown at the start of the game but that's what I did. My opponents were less than pleased

im saying boros is boring, honestly why not just go mardu? its basically the same shit just with non shit black cards

>>What is your first commander and do you still have it? What was the deck like originally?

I just got back into magic after almost a decade away, so my favorite (and currently only) commander is Tsabo Tavoc. I pulled a foil of her from my first ever pack of magic, so she's pretty special to me. Currently it's a janky mix of goblins, zombies, reanimate, and kill creature spells. Basically what I had available. Would love to tune her eventually.

That said as a non beginner to magic, but much newer to edh, I love a Goblin deck. Is Krenko as fun as it seems it would be?

>Go to LGS
>Bunch of guys playing EDH
>Ask them if I can join them, they are more than happy to have another
>Sit down
>Table is Mimeo, Atraxa, Avacyn (restored), and Prrosh
>Break out my Animar, they start complaining
>Explain my Animar is the peak of casual
>My deck has no infinite combos
>My deck doesn't even run shit like Purphoros for cheesy burn wins
>My deck uses every 0 cost creature it fucking can just because I find them funny
>They ask me to play something else anyway, they claim "Animar should be banned"
>No other deck on me, they agree to let me play but are apprehensive
>Game goes on uneventfully for the most part. They all seem terrified to fuck with each other. Nobody is attacking anybody, period.
>I'm just building counters, they seem content to ignore Animar.
>Fuck it, someone has gotta swing, it's like turn fucking 7
>Drop OG Ulamog from my hand
>It has haste from Maelstrom Wanderer I played last turn (Cascaded into garbage)
>Swing Ulamog at Mimeo and Animar at Avacyn (lolprowhite)
>Table immediately fucking chimps out
>They end the game and tell me to play another deck
>Reiterate that I have no other deck on me.
>Apologize for upsetting them and wasting their time, grab my stuff and leave them to their game.
Was I in the wrong here?

Superior thematically, mechanically and sexily waifus. While a lot of boros commanders are boring as shit due to the wotc's dumb policies, some are actually unique and having their effects in the command zone is worthwhile.

>stax player wraths and casts lethal vapors
>i cast teferi's protection, hold priority, then activate his lethal vapors ten million times, skipping the rest of the game
>go grab dinner while everyone else fights over second place

>Playing Gonti
>Drop Mindslicer and sac it to attrition as opponent's next turn passes out of draw step.
>Over the course of the table moving, people purposefully avoid paying the Jeskai players Study tax just to spite me
>Jesaki player refills hand to 9 cards by their draw step
>Wins
>People were surprised by this

My playgroups can be infuriating sometimes.

Meant to link

Your table is retarded. They can do the exact same thing, skip as many turns as you do and the game continues on as normal.

>some are actually unique
who? brion? every single other boros commander is turn dudes sideways.dec and they dont even play different stuff. you could build 5 different boros decks and they would probably share 90% of the same cards and literally all function the same

i skipped the turns before casting protection and they hadn't heard of the combo.

it'll never happen again, but it was real funny.

>P1 has gisela out
>he attacks someone P2 with gisela
>P2 has a hundred life, he smugly declares "no blocks"
>I cast tainted pact on P1's gisela
>P2 rages, attempts to remove Gisela in response with sword's to plowshares
>use imp's mischief to redirect it to his own creature
>"gain your life P2"
>he rages at me for ganging up on him
>after he leaves, P1 swings at me next turn
>cast darkness and then win with exsanguinate in my turn.

Fun times.

>boros
>interesting and unique

I still have my Brion. It works the same as it used to only it's more efficient with low mana cost creatures to fling and more things that take advantage of the high life he gives me.